What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Most of us can find obscure artists who could produce a magnificent Bond title track, but, for good, bad or neutral, it’s more than likely that a “name”
    Performer is going to get the gig.
    Absolutely @talos7. Members here can suggest as many "obscure artists" as they like but the producers (and studios involved) are going to want a "big name" to push their new movie. It's either Adele, and if her "idea" for a song doesn't pan out, then I'm sure they have a plan B with either Ed Sheeran, Ellie Goulding or one of the many other artists that have thrown their hat into the ring being a fallback option.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kiwanuka isn’t an obscure artist though.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    mtm wrote: »

He's doing good. A UK number 1 Album in 2016 and number 2 this year.
    More Spotify subscribers than Cornell and White combined.
    But nowhere near the numbers of Adele, Smith, Sheeran (shudder).

I think they will aim a bit higher though. Wherever that may be.
    Okay, Kiwanuka might not be "obscure" to some listeners but he's certainly not familiar to the popular Top 10 Single Chart buyers out there, as he's more of an album seller. The trouble is, the top selling albums today really don’t sell that much compared to the past. For instance, Taylor Swift’s Reputation topped the list a couple of year's ago with only 1.9 million sold, and much of that was tied to her controversial buy-an-album-get-a-chance-for-a-concert-ticket plan. There was only one other album that topped a million in 2017, and that was Ed Sheeran’s Divide at 1.1 million. Remember the days when a hit artist could sell that in a week? They’re long gone. So I don't think the argument for a big album-seller is one that can be used for a great song seller as they're completely different animals.

Add to the fact that Kiwanuka is not a name that everyone is familiar with, nor will he likely give the filmmakers that global Number 1 single that they're looking for, then it's likely that the name you will see for No Time To Die will be one that "everyone" is familiar with and not just with a niche crowd.
    I have to say though, looking at it purely from a business perspective, it would be crazy not to pick Sheeran.
    I know, i know i hate his music too, but this guy is the biggest Star in the world right now if you look at his streaming numbers on spotify. Even ahead of the Drakes, Kaneys and Biebers. It's ridiculous.
    And what does he do? He's practically begging on his knees to do a Bond Song. Isn't it cute lol?

I mean, if you dont pick him, how do you even explain that to your shareholders? :))
    I could live with it if he does the instrumental at least, and even then he would really have to step out of his comfort Zone and suprise us, but i don't want him anywhere near the microphone.
    I share your sentiments @00Agent. I wouldn't particularly want Sheeran either, but from a business perspective it's a bit of a no-brainer. I'm still hopeful there's some truth to these Adele rumours, though.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I share your sentiments @00Agent. I wouldn't particularly want Sheeran either, but from a business perspective it's a bit of a no-brainer. I'm still hopeful there's some truth to these Adele rumours, though.

Yeah i would prefer a lot of people to Sheeran, and Adele i could support wholeheartedly. She could become the next Basey by doing so. And it's not like she has a lot on her plate right now.

Apparently she is working on her next album right now. Even better, lot's of free promotion.

And they can put Sheeran in the background, playing guitar or something, just to have his name on it. :))
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    The rumors that Adele is recording something in the studio are enough for me to be almost convinced that all other speculations can be put aside. Adele had one of her biggest hits with the most successful Bond in recent history, and in a way she IS today's Shirley Bassey in that respect. And it is Bond 25 - who better to celebrate that anniversary by bringing back Adele from her artistic pause.

The Sting rumor is probably nothing, just popped up because there was no other news. And Bublé is never going to get that job, his voice and style are right, but he just doesn't sell that well, because he is too much on the jazzy side of music.

And 25 Bonds just doesn't cry Michael Kiwanuka to me. Something special is most likely up for this anniversary occasion...
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The rumors that Adele is recording something in the studio are enough for me to be almost convinced that all other speculations can be put aside. Adele had one of her biggest hits with the most successful Bond in recent history, and in a way she IS today's Shirley Bassey in that respect. And it is Bond 25 - who better to celebrate that anniversary by bringing back Adele from her artistic pause.

The Sting rumor is probably nothing, just popped up because there was no other news. And Bublé is never going to get that job, his voice and style are right, but he just doesn't sell that well, because he is too much on the jazzy side of music.

And 25 Bonds just doesn't cry Michael Kiwanuka to me. Something special is most likely up for this anniversary occasion...

I agree about Adele. It would certainly be a way to 'go big' with NTTD, and that's certainly what they should aim at.

Though regarding the Sting rumor, you have Cary - a family friend - as director, and Stings daughter is playing a role in the film (possibly thanks to Cary) , so I would be very surprised if it wasn't at least discussed. They can call him anytime.
    But I can't see it happening either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Okay, Kiwanuka might not be "obscure" to some listeners but he's certainly not familiar to the popular Top 10 Single Chart buyers out there, as he's more of an album seller.

Was Cornell having top ten pop hits? I admit they may have changed their strategy since then after they went for Smith, but hopefully it might change back again and they'll get someone good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Agent wrote: »
    I have to say though, looking at it purely from a business perspective, it would be crazy not to pick Sheeran.
    I know, i know i hate his music too, but this guy is the biggest Star in the world right now if you look at his streaming numbers on spotify. Even ahead of the Drakes, Kaneys and Biebers. It's ridiculous.
    And what does he do? He's practically begging on his knees to do a Bond Song. Isn't it cute lol?

I mean, if you dont pick him, how do you even explain that to your shareholders? :))
    I could live with it if he does the instrumental at least, and even then he would really have to step out of his comfort Zone and suprise us, but i don't want him anywhere near the microphone.

Yep, I don't disagree with any of that. I think the Broccolis do still go for the correct casting rather than just the biggest, although I guess there is a debate as to whether the song is part of the film or part of the marketing. It kind of has both jobs.
  • RC7RC7
    Sheeran is a game ender. Even the public know that he shouldn’t be anywhere near a Bond song.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

*imustoff*
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Please not George Ezra. He's incredibly bland. He's like M&S in music form. Insipid dirge isn't for Bond.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Okay, Kiwanuka might not be "obscure" to some listeners but he's certainly not familiar to the popular Top 10 Single Chart buyers out there, as he's more of an album seller.

Was Cornell having top ten pop hits? I admit they may have changed their strategy since then after they went for Smith, but hopefully it might change back again and they'll get someone good.
    Cornell was chosen by a Sony executive who thought the Soundgarden lead singer was the right choice in 2006 to take the new Bond forward, and that particular executive is no longer involved in B25 musical decisions in 2020. Also, the song’s abject failure to chart successfully in the U.S. Billboard is also another reason why it’s unlikely we’ll ever hear a niche performer get the honors again as it wasn’t commercially viable, despite it doing relatively well in the UK charts. You know, it really is all about being in a popularity contest at the end of the day.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    It'll be Dua Lipa. I have a feeling.
  • Nah, Adele is coming back.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

*runstothedoor*
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You're suggesting they should get Pierce Brosnan to sing it? I can dig that...
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited November 2019 Posts: 98
    If it has to be a big name, I'd like Ariana Grande, or Sia. Adele is fine, but prefer someone new
    Outsiders : Jorja Smith, Dave Gahan/Depeche Mode

to resume, I'd like anyone except Ed Sheeran, and Coldplay
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Someone has suggested this on JB reddit, no objections from my side.

You're suggesting they should get Pierce Brosnan to sing it? I can dig that...

I see, the idea grows on you. ^:)^
    There was this rumour - I belive even on this very MI6 hompage, that Queen & Adam Lambert threw their hat into the ring. I really would love to get them doing the song, with the inside reference of Rami Malek winning his Oscar or BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There was this rumour - I belive even on this very MI6 hompage, that Queen & Adam Lambert threw their hat into the ring. I really would love to get them doing the song, with the inside reference of Rami Malek winning his Oscar or BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY.

Do they even write songs any more? I don’t think they’d be a great choice.
    As long as there is no dubstep in the song, it's fine for me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m always going on about Danger Mouse but this one just came on the radio and it reminded me how good he is. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have a song from this guy?

Still hoping for Gaga but I doubt it.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    They should just use this track and be done with it, Jonathan Jeremiah is the man for the job. Some manly crooner vibes to counter the wokeness.

This discussion has been closed.