No Time to Die production thread

Comments

If I may bring us back to NTTD news, @Archivo_007 have an article out containing a few interesting tidbits on the film:

https://archivo007.com/novedades-de-sin-tiempo-para-morir/
    • The Cuban scenes will feature a chase with Cuban policemen chasing Bond and Paloma in a 'fast-paced' night scene. The police will drive Ladas.

So three car-chases in NTTD?
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Which "sources"?

Top men...

TOP ..... MEN
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Jeez....just imagine if GE came out in 2019, with a female M calling Bond a misogynistic dinosaur and Moneypenny saying his behaviour equates to sexual harassment in the workplace.

We have had a “woke” Bond for over 24 years now. (Plus, the Mail article confirms there is an erection joke, surely we can rest assured the Roger Moore-isms haven’t gone either)

If you said woke Bond films i could agree with you to some degree, but not a woke Bond. He's way to cool to be woke, there's no stick up his ass.

Oh, and I would never put 'daily mail' and 'confirms' in the same sentence, but that's just me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,935
    Walecs wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Dark Fate was pandering? I get worried by this fandom.

Totally. I usually don't like to use that word but I don't know how else you can describe Dark Fate.
    John was killed only for a girl character to take his place, so much so that even Sarah says "She's John". Not to mention the immigration politics are very on the nose ("I wish you weren't so white" ugh, what a shirty dialogue) which kinda proves that Miller was more interested in making a pandering movie than writing a compelling story.

It just had women in it. That’s all.
    I liked the immigration thing; that felt like it would wind Trump up which is obviously great, but honestly: to find the concept that a character is a woman to be so challenging is pretty disturbing.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Risico007 wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Which "sources"?

Top men...

TOP ..... MEN

:-O
  • 00Agent wrote: »
    Jeez....just imagine if GE came out in 2019, with a female M calling Bond a misogynistic dinosaur and Moneypenny saying his behaviour equates to sexual harassment in the workplace.

We have had a “woke” Bond for over 24 years now. (Plus, the Mail article confirms there is an erection joke, surely we can rest assured the Roger Moore-isms haven’t gone either)

If you said woke Bond films i could agree with you to some degree, but not a woke Bond. He's way to cool to be woke, there's no stick up his ass.

Oh, and I would never put 'daily mail' and 'confirms' in the same sentence, but that's just me.

The truth is these films have moved towards a more progressive and modern depiction for years now.

In fact, GE is the most ‘woke’ Bond film – aside from M, Moneypenny and Natayla you even have a female character who has orgasms by killing men and refuses to sleep with Bond. Then you have something like CR where Bond cries and hugs a depressed woman in a shower. Followed by QOS, where he doesn’t even sleep with a Ukrainian supermodel because he’s so sad. SF doesn’t even have a traditional lead Bond girl – instead you get Judi Dench as the female lead!

original.gif

This whole ‘woke’ conversation has only arisen as a result of the world being unnecessarily cleaved into two. Had any of the last 8 films been released in 2019, they’d face the same criticisms.
    00Agent wrote: »

The truth is these films have moved towards a more progressive and modern depiction for years now.

In fact, GE is the most ‘woke’ Bond film – aside from M, Moneypenny and Natayla you even have a female character who has orgasms by killing men and refuses to sleep with Bond. Then you have something like CR where Bond cries and hugs a depressed woman in a shower. Followed by QOS, where he doesn’t even sleep with a Ukrainian supermodel because he’s so sad. SF doesn’t even have a traditional lead Bond girl – instead you get Judi Dench as the female lead!

original.gif

This whole ‘woke’ conversation has only arisen as a result of the world being unnecessarily cleaved into two. Had any of the last 8 films been released in 2019, they’d face the same criticisms.

Excellent post

original.gif

Well i certainly agree with that, and yes, the franchise HAS changed, and has subsequently changed aspects of Bond's character as well.

But he STILL remains in some parts the same old guy and has to.

Also Flemings Bond was the antithesis of "woke".

You can selectively point out all the, in your opinion, "woke" moments in the Craig films, but you can also point to all the anti-woke moments in there. (also you forgot to mention the "no armour left" scene).

For every scene of Craig comforting a woman, you can see scenes like him dismissing Vespers death as "the bitch is dead" (obviously pure Fleming). Him using, and consequently killing, Solange for information, and then doing his best to not give a S*** when confronted with it (even though we can see he cares).

He does the same with Severine. At the beginning of Skyfall he's in bed with a turkish beauty but emotionally completely detached.

That's his thing, he is detached, he has to be.
    And he's fearless (bordering on suicidal), maybe careless, as seen in his seduction of Lucia Sciarra.

Also i don't like people saying that Bond uses sex to "extract information" or that it's always part of his job. That is a part of it, yes. But in reality he is as much hooked on pussy as on alcohol and adrenaline. It's self medication.

If you take that out of the films, you effectively killed his character and his appeal, because NO ONE will believe you did it for artistic integrity but simply to not feature anything controversial in your movies (as they did in TLD and almost killed the franchise).

Bond is entertainment for warm-blooded heterosexual adults (-Ian Fleming), and it has to keep that quality.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I’m surprised they did the nomi as 007 angle after Oberhauser stepbrother

What is the correlation between the two things?
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    It's like a job title. Obviously it's going to be given to someone else when he retires.

It's not that obvious since Fleming's books actally imply that a new agent always gets a number that no agent has ever used.
    Plus, in Fleming´s novels, IRRC there were only three or four 00 agents in total.

It's like a job title. Obviously it's going to be given to someone else when he retires.

It's not that obvious since Fleming's books actally imply that a new agent always gets a number that no agent has ever used.

I think the ‘sticking to the exact word of Fleming’ ship sailed in 1962. Probably around the second James Bond was shown to work for MI7 :D
    Recent Bond films made a point of going back to Fleming, in fact they tried to put elements on screen that weren´t part of film Bond but were akin to literary Bond.

Like him living in a house called Skyfall or growing up with Blofeld as his brother? :D
    You have not found proof that it’s impossible they’d give anyone else the 007 number, no :)
    As if that had been my intention.

If it wasn’t then I can’t see any point in your post :)
    You shouldn´t smile then as if you were happy. I was commenting a post I qoted, adding a thought corroborating what the poster whom I reacted to argued.

• edited November 2019 Posts: 4,400

original.gif

Well i certainly agree with that, and yes, the franchise HAS changed, and has subsequently changed aspects of Bond's character as well.

You can selectively point out all the, in your opinion, "woke" moments in the Craig films, but you can also point to all the anti-woke moments in there. (also you forgot to mention the "no armour left" scene).

For every scene of Craig comforting a woman, you can see scenes like him dismissing Vespers death as "the bitch is dead" (obviously pure Fleming). Him using, and consequently killing, Solange for information, and then doing his best to not give a S*** when confronted with it (even though we can see he cares).

He does the same with Severine. At the beginning of Skyfall he's in bed with a turkish beauty but emotionally completely detached.

And he's fearless (bordering on suicidal), maybe careless, as seen in his seduction of Lucia Sciarra.

Also i don't like people saying that Bond uses sex to "extract information" or that it's always part of his job. That is a part of it, yes. But in reality he is as much hooked on pussy as on alcohol and adrenaline. It's self medication.

If you take that out of the films, you effectively killed his character and his appeal, because NO ONE will believe you did it for artistic integrity but simply to not feature anything controversial in your movies (as they did in TLD and almost killed the franchise).

Bond is entertainment for warm-blooded heterosexual adults (-Ian Fleming), and it has to keep that quality.

Was he though? I know some of Fleming's writing was racist and sexist. But Bond is a hopeless romantic, often pathetically romantic in the novels.

He even suffers from depression in the later novels - and often has moments of self-reflection and self-doubt where he ponders soulful questions and can barely stand himself.

Hardly, the warm-blooded heterosexual aspirational male figure you're selling.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Plus, in Fleming´s novels, IRRC there were only three or four 00 agents in total.

I think the ‘sticking to the exact word of Fleming’ ship sailed in 1962. Probably around the second James Bond was shown to work for MI7 :D
    Recent Bond films made a point of going back to Fleming, in fact they tried to put elements on screen that weren´t part of film Bond but were akin to literary Bond.

Like him living in a house called Skyfall or growing up with Blofeld as his brother? :D
    You have not found proof that it’s impossible they’d give anyone else the 007 number, no :)
    As if that had been my intention.

If it wasn’t then I can’t see any point in your post :)
    You shouldn´t smile then as if you were happy. I was commenting a post I qoted, adding a thought corroborating what the poster whom I reacted to argued.

So it was your intention to back up the argument then! Blimey, you folks don't make much sense :D
    Just realized all of Craigs films have had car chases. Its like Craig insists he must have at least 1 in his films.
  • James_StJohnSmytheJames_StJohnSmythe Twitter: @J_StJS /// https://www.instagram.com/james_st_john_smythe/
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Just realized all of Craigs films have had car chases. Its like Craig insists he must have at least 1 in his films.

Well, I would not consider it a chase in CR. And I can not remember a car chase in SF tbh...

original.gif

Was he though? I know some of Fleming's writing was racist and sexist. But Bond is a hopeless romantic, often pathetically romantic in the novels.

He even suffers from depression in the later novels - and often has moments of self-reflection and self-doubt where he ponders soulful questions and can barely stand himself.

Where did i say he's aspirational? I couldn't have said it because i don't believe he is. Don't compensate lack of knowledge with making stuff up.

I am not tying to sell anything here. I am just trying to be as objective as i can.

In short, Bond is both. He's romantic and a player. He is pretty much exactly like Daniel played him in CR, a guy who is deeply romantic, but he is trying to play cool and tough on the outside, to keep his distance.

In the CR novel he goes into these rants about how clumsy and useless women are, especially in his line of work, and then at the end still falls madly in love with the one woman, who was more than cold to him pretty much all through the novel. He even wants to marry her.

Bond is a romantic at heart, but he is also hurt inside (in the films especially after Vespers death) and so he shuts off emotionally. And basically remains detached after that.

All this can be traced back to Fleming himself, who i have been studying for years.
    Fleming was exactly like this himself, thats why it's all over his novels (in my opinion more subconciously than conciously). He was very romantic, but due to an overdominating mother he was totally adverse to relationships, staying a bachelor in his 50's. Even when he had some sort of relationship he cheated on his girlfriends as well as on his wife.
    The thought of marriage (at over 50) put a mortal fear into him. But at least that's how he started writing Bond.

"Infuriating Ann, he would drily remark that he wrote it [Casino Royale] to keep his mind off the horrific prospect of a life spent in happy matrimony."

Though he was very good with women, because he went through so many of them in his bachelor lifestyle, and always liked to keep some around. Also he wasn't shy about his history with strippers and hookers, and managed to sneak some of that into his Bond novels as well. And some of that sneaked into the films as well. I can write you a list if you want.

Bond is all of that. He is basically conflicted. Especially when you take into account all the different versions. He doesn't really have a goal with women, or a long term plan. But he sure likes to go through as many as he can. Again, that might be a fantasy to some, but even Daniel was arguing that after 30+ it's becoming a bit pathetic, and it's a lonely lifestyle, which it is.

I would love to talk more deeply about all these themes, and always wanted to open a thread on Bond and Fleming and their sexual history, but i believe this forum is not mature enough for that in all honesty. (sorry)

Anyway, a Bond film that is sexless, is utterly pointless, so there is no worry on my part that NTTD could fall into this trap.

• 00Agent wrote: »

original.gif

Where did i say he's aspirational? I couldn't have said it because i don't believe he is. Don't compensate lack of knowledge with making stuff up.

I am not tying to sell anything here. I am just trying to be as objective as i can.

In short, Bond is both. He's romantic and a player. He is pretty much exactly like Daniel played him in CR, a guy who is deeply romantic, but he is trying to play cool and tough on the outside, to keep his distance.

In the CR novel he goes into these rants about how clumsy and useless women are, especially in his line of work, and then at the end still falls madly in love with the one woman, who was more than cold to him pretty much all through the novel. He even wants to marry her.

Bond is a romantic at heart, but he is also hurt inside (in the films especially after Vespers death) and so he shuts off emotionally. And basically remains detached after that.

All this can be traced back to Fleming himself, who i have been studying for years.
    Fleming was exactly like this himself, thats why it's all over his novels (in my opinion more subconciously than conciously). He was very romantic, but due to an overdominating mother he was totally adverse to relationships, staying a bachelor in his 50's. Even when he had some sort of relationship he cheated on his girlfriends as well as on his wife.
    The thought of marriage (at over 50) put a mortal fear into him. But at least that's how he started writing Bond.

"Infuriating Ann, he would drily remark that he wrote it [Casino Royale] to keep his mind off the horrific prospect of a life spent in happy matrimony."

Though he was very good with women, because he went through so many of them in his bachelor lifestyle, and always liked to keep some around. Also he wasn't shy about his history with strippers and hookers, and managed to sneak some of that into his Bond novels as well. And some of that sneaked into the films as well. I can write you a list if you want.

Bond is all of that. He is basically conflicted. Especially when you take into account all the different versions. He doesn't really have a goal with women, or a long term plan. But he sure likes to go through as many as he can. Again, that might be a fantasy to some, but even Daniel was arguing that after 30+ it's becoming a bit pathetic, and it's a lonely lifestyle, which it is.

I would love to talk more deeply about all these themes, and always wanted to open a thread on Bond and Fleming and their sexual history, but i believe this forum is not mature enough for that in all honesty. (sorry)

Anyway, a Bond film that is sexless, is utterly pointless, so there is no worry on my part that NTTD could fall into this trap.

There is definitely a melancholy to his womanizing in Fleming's novels - paraphrasing CR - the lead up to a seduction bored him, then the your place, her place, taciturnity and eventual break up bored him.

Well, I would not consider it a chase in CR. And I can not remember a car chase in SF tbh...

He was chasing the car that had Vesper in it. Its a car chase even if it was short lived.

In SF Bond & Money penny were chasing Patrice in Istanbul.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    1,400 posts since I last checked this thread, and the only news is that the thread name has been changed from, Bond 25 News and Spoilers to No Time To Die News And Spoilers :))

Man do we need some news
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    For all the talk of "woke", I think Waller-Bridges needs to be quoted so we understand exactly what it means for a Bond film to come out in today's climate.
    There's been a lot of talk about whether or not Bond is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women. I think that's b******s. I think he's absolutely relevant now. [The franchise] has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn't have to. He needs to be true to his character.

This is reassuring. Bond isn't going to change. He'll remain the bastard he is, but he'll still be OUR bastard.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Land Rover plugs new Defender in NTTD

EDIT: All three post now deleted by Land Rover

Reposting video and pics soon..
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    For all the talk of "woke", I think Waller-Bridges needs to be quoted so we understand exactly what it means for a Bond film to come out in today's climate.
    There's been a lot of talk about whether or not Bond is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women. I think that's b******s. I think he's absolutely relevant now. [The franchise] has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn't have to. He needs to be true to his character.

This is reassuring. Bond isn't going to change. He'll remain the bastard he is, but he'll still be OUR bastard.

This is very important.

:x
    Also Daniel said around SP or SF that Bond is "stuck in his ways."
    He get's him. I am confident they won't water him down.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Exclusive: how MGM kept the No Time To Die title hidden
    https://filmstories.co.uk/news/exclusive-how-mgm-kept-the-no-time-to-die-title-hidden/
    How did we miss that and why not reveal it in Jamaica.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Video: Stunt drivers plug new Land Rover Defender in NTTD. All three was posted on Instagram but now deleted.

v56MC4H.jpg
    JzZL1d7.jpg
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

@00Agent not even Baz?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Red_Snow wrote: »

And yet they decided to reveal it in a very anticlimatic way in August instead of doing it at the Jamaica conference (or whatever it was)?

Yeah, sure. More like they had a list of titles but they couldn't decide on which one they would use so they just registered all of them and eventually chose NTTD.
    You all think Waltz will have a better performance as Blofeld this time than in SP?
    007Blofeld wrote: »

@00Agent not even Baz?

Hmmm there is a short and a long answer to this.

But nope, i don't care about "Baz".

Also i am not a crack junkie when it comes to NTTD news, i would be perfectly fine with ignoring all tabloids, pretend they don't exist, and just go by whatever is left after that.

I hate his industry and i won't support it. But nobody needs to share my sentiments.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    You all think Waltz will have a better performance as Blofeld this time than in SP?

With different writers and a director, it’s possible.
    I wonder if bond kills Oberhauser