NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

zebrafish wrote: »
    And how much of these examples is Benh Zeitlins? It seems that Romer sounds more appropriate for NTTD with Zeitlin on his side.

He’s probably been influenced by his collaborators, as one is, and is filled with artistic choices to use in his own accord. I have faith in his choices, even if I’m not mad about his work so far. I do like his love for cellos. That’d be interesting to explore. A love theme on cello can be hauntingly beautiful.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Dan Romer is at Skyfall in concert tonight at Royal Albert Hall. Seems like he is taking this very seriously. If he can blend in skme elements of the recent scores coyld provide some musical continuity for Bond 25
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Dan Romer is at Skyfall in concert tonight at Royal Albert Hall. Seems like he is taking this very seriously. If he can blend in skme elements of the recent scores coyld provide some musical continuity for Bond 25
    Why would Romer going to a Skyfall concert provide him with musical inspiration when he can easily access the music by an MP3 like anyone else? There’s no need to go to a concert for that, unless he just wants to be seen supporting a previous composer by making a PA.

Anyway, I don’t see the need to provide musical continuity. Not when Newman provided so little himself leaving off from Arnold or even the greatest musical innovator John Barry. I’d rather Romer do his own thing rather than ape dreary Newman.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    bondsum wrote: »
    Anyway, I don’t see the need to provide musical continuity. Not when Newman provided so little himself leaving off from Arnold or even the greatest musical innovator John Barry. I’d rather Romer do his own thing rather than ape dreary Newman.

Agreed, @bondsum. What we need is a composer bringing original work to the movie. He can chase some of the well-known flavours of Bond music, but he shouldn't try to mimic others. Originality in NTTD will bring me ameliorative relief.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    James Bond Theme with Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall - Skyfall in Concert

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondsum wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Why would Romer going to a Skyfall concert provide him with musical inspiration when he can easily access the music by an MP3 like anyone else? There’s no need to go to a concert for that, unless he just wants to be seen supporting a previous composer by making a PA.

True, but it would be really nice if Romer brought the themes of Vesper, Quantum and Madeleine back for this movie considering it's going to tie the Craig era.
    Contraband wrote: »
    James Bond Theme with Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall - Skyfall in Concert

Always sends a shiver down the spine when heard via a live orchestra! :-bd
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Thanks for this: a shame it's the only bit of it on YouTube: I'd like to actually hear how they recreated Newman's bits!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Npeal campaign. Score composed by a Mr David Arnold ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent music.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,619
    DCisared wrote: »
    Score composed by a Mr David Arnold ;)
    Although not as good as the works of the great Eric Serra and the great Thomas Newman, it's seriously better than any of his previous Bond work. Maybe he deserves one more chance?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Excellent music.

Brilliant isn’t it. Gets better each time I listen. David definitely has a future scoring another Bond imo.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272

I so very much miss David Arnold's take on Bond music. He's still the right man for the job.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Oh that is just pure class! What a tragedy it is he's not doing NTTD.

All you Arnold naysayers go hang your head in shame.

What's the betting Romer doesn't come up with anything as cool as this in his entire score?
    Love that new theme. Brilliant. Wish he'd come back for Bond26.
    What's the betting Romer doesn't come up with anything as cool as this in his entire score?
    What's the betting Romer will come up with something more original?
    Again, we have no ideia what Romer will bring. But Arnold's still the man, IMO. Not that he had to be in NTTD, but surely they could bring him in again for Bond26. I mean, why not?

BTW, I'm very very curious to see what Romer will come up with.
    What's the betting Romer will come up with something more original?

I said as cool, not original. Pretty safe bet on that score.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Nice piece of work there from Mr Arnold, I too was disappointed when it was announced that Romer was doing the score as I thought Arnold returning would have given the DC era a nice symmetry.

He undoubtedly shows there he has a deep love for Bond, though I'm willing to see what Dan Romer comes up with.

I don't think this is the same case with him as was with Arnold, this score will undoubtedly if he gets it right catapult him into the main arena of composers, this is a game changer for him and I'm pretty sure he knows it.

Newman was completely different kettle of fish, already attached to Mendes, worked with any number of big directors, an established recognised sound. More likely to be pretty much convinced his sound was right for the film whether is sounded Bondian or not and not wanting to collaborate with the title performer.

The fact he couldn't even come up with a new arrangement of the Bond theme seems strange, possibly he didn't want to, might explain why DA's was used, I don't know?

I don't hate Newman's work, I think his Skyfall for the most part is very good, I'm looking very much forward at the end of the year to seeing Skyfall in concert.

I also understand that the choices of SPECTRE weren't him but Mendes and the editor, although I wouldn't put it up with the best work of the series or look it as the watermark of this era, Arnold's QOS score and then the CR one is much more satisfying to me.

Romer doesn't have this legacy, this film could write his meal ticket so I think although he won't be a yes man, he might be open to suggestion that Newman was unlikely to have adhered with.

I do hope though that Romer does get to interpret the Bond theme, a new fresh take on it would be most exciting to hear.

Much of this film is an unknown quantity and this score is one of them, we haven't had this much mystery surrounding a Bond film in well over a decade, this aspect and others excite me tremendously.

@Shardlake, my feelings exactly. Loved your post.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish

Thanks for posting this, very interesting. Live performances like this always get the adrenaline going - this sounds more David Arnold rather than Thomas Newman though! ;) Someone really should have pointed out that's the wrong note at 0:39. As a composer myself this is obvious, jarring and can't believe they didn't spot it. Half the orchestra is playing the note wrong - so must be transcription error.

I think regardless of the reason why Romer was in the audience, it was good to have him there. If nothing else it will highlight the sense of weight and responsibility for NTTD - and hopefully he got a few insights into how to approach the gig. On paper - I'm still not entirely sold on him as a 'good fit' composer for Bond, yet it would be very unfair to judge before watching the film and I really hope he knocks this out the park!

Interesting to hear David Arnold's music on the cashmere ad, of course it's largely derivative of his own style. That outfit at the end looked very FYEO! But the star of this are the Scottish visuals which elevate the ad, found myself trying to figure out where exactly in Scotland it might be (looks very western hebrides).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    @Shardlake, my feelings exactly. Loved your post.

As did I your SF one in the DC thread.
    Its almost as if Arnold has laid the gauntlet down with that track. As if he's challenging the new composer to be as brilliantly Bondian.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Its almost as if Arnold has laid the gauntlet down with that track. As if he's challenging the new composer to be as brilliantly Bondian.
    To be honest, I found it a little uninspired and contained the kind of excess I never liked about Arnold's approach. That said - I will say it feels more catchy and traditionally Bondian than some of Newman's dull ambient mood music.

I hope Romer proves to be a more inspire choice. It's also really exciting to hear someone new get a chance at updating the sound.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s basically the same Arnold flourishes we’ve heard time and again, which I’m eager to move on from. I get fans love the sameness because it’s comforting, much like the Brosnan era was, which is why Arnold was perfect for his run. Pastiche composer for a pastiche Bond.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,157

I love Arnold's music but I didn't like this. It sounds like two different tracks being played together. And I also agree it's mere pastiche.
    But yeah, the instruments are classic Bond, there is more Bondian sound in this track than there was in Newman's 1 and 1/2 scores.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yep. Love Arnold, both for Bond and beyond, but this did little for me.

Funny how things work.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,541
    It’s basically the same Arnold flourishes we’ve heard time and again, which I’m eager to move on from. I get fans love the sameness because it’s comforting, much like the Brosnan era was, which is why Arnold was perfect for his run. Pastiche composer for a pastiche Bond.
    I wouldn't go as far as calling it pastiche, the guy deserve respect for his work. But I agree about comforting part and yes it's time to move on. We should be talking more about Romer work as this is Romer thread as far as I know.

@Satorious glad to hear a professional view here ;)
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,985
    Satorious wrote: »
    To be honest, I found it a little uninspired and contained the kind of excess I never liked about Arnold's approach. That said - I will say it feels more catchy and traditionally Bondian than some of Newman's dull ambient mood music.

I hope Romer proves to be a more inspire choice. It's also really exciting to hear someone new get a chance at updating the sound.

As a Bond fan the track gave me goosebumps and i'd say it was the best Bondian music i've heard since QoS.

I just wonder if Romer had come up with this track the reaction would have been different from the recent lukewarm posts on this thread...

But hey, each to their own...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It was great to hear some new Arnold content. I loved it. Shame some can't even enjoy it because "muh Arnold bad pastiche."