No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Maybe he’s Khan?
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I mean the clues are there…….Malek said his favourite Bond film is DN, the film takes place in Jamaica, the word ‘No’ has found its way into the title, science plays a role in the plot and (finally) SPECTRE are back…………………………………………..food for thought.

Though one important thing you’re overlooking: Bond villains are known for their vanity, why then would Malek kidnap a scientist if he himself was a scientist? He wouldn’t need help creating the dangerous new technology. He’d be the architect of it. The scientist would essentially undermine his character. Can’t see the writers doing that.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Anyone else in the area receive one of these? It seems fake in comparison to the other letters that were sent out earlier in the year.

I can’t see how this isn’t true….

Also, it’s a cinematic bridge and was used quite infamously in another recent spy film (in fact, it’s the same area where that stunt went wrong).

th?id=OIP.97wmc4TTd3fMCck19b3oqAHaFc&pid=Api&P=0&w=234&h=173

1516003999-tom-cruise-mi6.jpg?resize=480:*

I work in this area, so will be certain to keep my eyes peeled.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again

Anyone else in the area receive one of these? It seems fake in comparison to the other letters that were sent out earlier in the year.

Maybe the grammar mistake and first-person writing? ;)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,400
    MartinBond wrote: »

Maybe the grammar mistake and first-person writing? ;)

I also got the letter at my office.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    If the villain' s caper (or front scheme) involve bird guano I'm all in.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 2,598
    “It’s just about moving with the times and recognising that women can no longer be seen as eye candy.”

Words cannot express how incredibly tired I am of reading the same comments from girls in Bond films, every single time a new film is released. The trash never ends... I thought there were strong female characters in the sixties who weren’t just eye candy so what the hell are they dribbling about? Fleming created strong female characters for his novels in the fifties. I’ll have to stop reading Bond girl interviews as it’s the same garbage every single time. How did all this misconception come about?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bounine wrote: »
    “It’s just about moving with the times and recognising that women can no longer be seen as eye candy.”

Words cannot express how incredibly tired I am of reading the same comments from girls in Bond films, every single time a new film is released. The trash never ends... I thought there were strong female characters in the sixties who weren’t just seen as eye candy so what the hell are they dribbling about?

We have heard the same thing for 40 years. Even Talisa Soto made similar remarks.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States

Words cannot express how incredibly tired I am of reading the same comments from girls in Bond films, every single time a new film is released. The trash never ends... I thought there were strong female characters in the sixties who weren’t just seen as eye candy so what the hell are they dribbling about?

How many times have we heard “james has really met his match with her, she is his equal” ... and I’m like ooooo wowwww great dynamic plot point XD
    Truly remarkable. They need to come up with some originality.

I think it was only Olga from QOS who said that she wasn’t going to make some Bond girl equality comment and I really respected her for that.
    How much filming is left?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Your guess is as good as anyone’s tbh
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I completely agree. Going back to the source, Fleming's women usually had a damaged side and they almost always yielded to Bond in the bedroom, but they were neither mousy nor without initiative or stamina. I'd say many of the '60s cinematic Bond girls were like that too. They were, however, a product of their time. It's doubtful that a really "stroooong, independent woooman" would have been accepted by men and women alike in that decade. That slightly submissive touch had to be present, as mostly exemplified by Honey and Tania. Nevertheless, the likes of Pussy, Fiona, Tracy, ... what were they if not "strong" women? Anyone accusing them of being just eye candy hasn't seen the movies in a very long time, that's for sure.

What do these modern feminists demand? Have Bond crawl on all fours to acknowledge that the lady he's about to bed is his equal or better? Have Bond submit complex dissertations about gender equality during the PTS so that we can rest assured the film will respect all sexes? Do Bond girls in the 21st century have to save Bond from peril rather than the other way around? (In fact, some already have.)

I mean, can Bond please still be Bond? I don't mind that SJWs have infested almost every inch of Hollywood, from horror all the way to Star Wars. But Bond is a womanizing superspy with a magic penis whose masculine superiority we admire even if we're in little danger of trying to copy his attitude in real life. That also means that while no Bond girl should be an obedient, subservient throw-away toy for when 007 is taking a break from his mission, it's perfectly acceptable to have her always stand in his shadows. It's a Bond film, after all, not a Bond girl film.

And that's why I too am fed up with the "my character is a strong woman" nonsense as if we're meant to read that as "because all the previous ones were just mindless slaves in Bond's harem and that's a bad thing". Let me tell you, they were never mindless slaves, nor were they ever a bad thing. Waving these flags is neither helping them to make a point nor to convince us of some problem we've always ignored.

Bloody hell, they all want to be in the Bond movies but when they are, they start talking the feminist crap. That's like asking WB to please be in a Batman movie and subsequently rant about how these violent vigilante flicks are giving people bad ideas.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2019 Posts: 10,512
    They just have to do the strong female to appease the press. It’s just easier to play the game, meanwhile they can get on with making the film. Thankfully someone like PWB knows that being a ‘strong’ female (which is an awful catch-all term) is effectively just one with a little agency - whether she’s virtuous or an absolute see you next Tuesday is down to the character development. Her characters all have light and shade and most have a dark or humorous streak so I very much doubt we’ll be getting anyone who is a holier-than-thou type.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    What do these modern feminists demand?
    World domination!

Excellent post, btw!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,495

I had heard there was three weeks to go, so just a bit less than that now.
  • J_Bryce777J_Bryce777 San Francisco
    edited October 2019 Posts: 78
    It is a shame as when they make this argument for a "strong woman" in these action films, they default to giving her this identity of she has to be just as good as a guy at shooting and fighting. So is that always a good thing? That you gotta compare a woman's strength to what a man may be doing? What is wrong with being a woman just being her own character. Can't a woman be strong yet be kind, caring, sensitive, and compassionate.

One example of an overlooked Bond girl who is a rather strong character is Kara Milovy from The Living Daylights. She is a cellist living in a suppressed Communist nation. She wouldn't have an idea of what kind of world Koskov or Bond live in. She is a musician, an artist, which is fine. That is who she is. She meets and falls in love with Bond. She gets tangled up in the world of espionage and betrayal. Her character grows through the movie as she decides to go with her heart and help Bond when he is captured. She then later goes out and rides alone to face the Soviets, inspiring the Mujahedeen to follow her. Through all this, you can see Bond grow fond of her and her sweet nature. At the end, what does she do but go back to what she loves to do, play the cello. To me, she was strong without having to be throwing grenades all the time and shooting machine guns. Nor does she have to be dismissive of Bond. She did not have to sacrifice who Bond was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    J_Bryce777 wrote: »
    It is a shame as when they make this argument for "strong woman" in these action films, they default to giving her this identity of she has to be just as good as a guy at shooting and fighting. So is that always a good thing? That you gotta compare a woman's strength to what a man may be able to do? What is wrong with being a woman who has the strength to be kind, caring, and conpassionate.

One example of an overlooked Bond girl who is rather a strong character is Kara Milovy for The Living Daylights. She is a cellist living in a suppressed Communist nation. She wouldn't have an idea of what kind of world Koskov or Bond live in. She is a musician, an artist, and that is fine. She meets and falls in love with Bond and gets tangled in the espionage world and betrayal. Her character grows through the movie as she decides to go with her heart and help Bond when he is captured. She then later go out and rides alone to face the Soviets, inspiring the Mujahedeen to follow. Through all this, you can see Bond grow fond of her and her sweet nature. At the end, what does she do but go back to what she loves to do, play the cello. To me, she was strong without having to be throwing grenades all the time and shooting machine guns. Nor did her character sacrifice who Bond was.

Yeah, I'd go with that. Kara was a good character, and more grown up (just about!) than something like Jinx, who is an adolescent boy's idea of a 'strong woman'.

To be honest, I think the current Moneypenny is one of the most grown up female characters the series has had so far. She's classy, strong, feminine and feels like a real adult. I know folks hate the 'scooby gang' thing, but I'm happy for her to have a big role in these.

I had heard there was three weeks to go, so just a bit less than that now.

I'm sure their will be some sort of announcement once filming has completed? Perhaps then they may release the teaser trailer?
  • J_Bryce777J_Bryce777 San Francisco
    mtm wrote: »
    J_Bryce777 wrote: »
    It is a shame as when they make this argument for "strong woman" in these action films, they default to giving her this identity of she has to be just as good as a guy at shooting and fighting. So is that always a good thing? That you gotta compare a woman's strength to what a man may be able to do? What is wrong with being a woman who has the strength to be kind, caring, and conpassionate.

One example of an overlooked Bond girl who is rather a strong character is Kara Milovy for The Living Daylights. She is a cellist living in a suppressed Communist nation. She wouldn't have an idea of what kind of world Koskov or Bond live in. She is a musician, an artist, and that is fine. She meets and falls in love with Bond and gets tangled in the espionage world and betrayal. Her character grows through the movie as she decides to go with her heart and help Bond when he is captured. She then later go out and rides alone to face the Soviets, inspiring the Mujahedeen to follow. Through all this, you can see Bond grow fond of her and her sweet nature. At the end, what does she do but go back to what she loves to do, play the cello. To me, she was strong without having to be throwing grenades all the time and shooting machine guns. Nor did her character sacrifice who Bond was.

Yeah, I'd go with that. Kara was a good character, and more grown up (just about!) than something like Jinx, who is an adolescent boy's idea of a 'strong woman'.

To be honest, I think the current Moneypenny is one of the most grown up female characters the series has had so far. She's classy, strong, feminine and feels like a real adult. I know folks hate the 'scooby gang' thing, but I'm happy for her to have a big role in these.

Yes Moneypenny has been great. Harris is wonderful with the character.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Truly remarkable. They need to come up with some originality.

I think it was only Olga from QOS who said that she wasn’t going to make some Bond girl equality comment and I really respected her for that.

Ironically, she was probably the closest to being Bond's equal in the Craig era.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

I completely agree. Going back to the source, Fleming's women usually had a damaged side and they almost always yielded to Bond in the bedroom, but they were neither mousy nor without initiative or stamina. I'd say many of the '60s cinematic Bond girls were like that too. They were, however, a product of their time. It's doubtful that a really "stroooong, independent woooman" would have been accepted by men and women alike in that decade. That slightly submissive touch had to be present, as mostly exemplified by Honey and Tania. Nevertheless, the likes of Pussy, Fiona, Tracy, ... what were they if not "strong" women? Anyone accusing them of being just eye candy hasn't seen the movies in a very long time, that's for sure.

What do these modern feminists demand? Have Bond crawl on all fours to acknowledge that the lady he's about to bed is his equal or better? Have Bond submit complex dissertations about gender equality during the PTS so that we can rest assured the film will respect all sexes? Do Bond girls in the 21st century have to save Bond from peril rather than the other way around? (In fact, some already have.)

I mean, can Bond please still be Bond? I don't mind that SJWs have infested almost every inch of Hollywood, from horror all the way to Star Wars. But Bond is a womanizing superspy with a magic penis whose masculine superiority we admire even if we're in little danger of trying to copy his attitude in real life. That also means that while no Bond girl should be an obedient, subservient throw-away toy for when 007 is taking a break from his mission, it's perfectly acceptable to have her always stand in his shadows. It's a Bond film, after all, not a Bond girl film.

And that's why I too am fed up with the "my character is a strong woman" nonsense as if we're meant to read that as "because all the previous ones were just mindless slaves in Bond's harem and that's a bad thing". Let me tell you, they were never mindless slaves, nor were they ever a bad thing. Waving these flags is neither helping them to make a point nor to convince us of some problem we've always ignored.

Bloody hell, they all want to be in the Bond movies but when they are, they start talking the feminist crap. That's like asking WB to please be in a Batman movie and subsequently rant about how these violent vigilante flicks are giving people bad ideas.

Denise Richards was the one who started it all.

;)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah we've got Jamaica and the word No in the title but they don't seem at all like clues to me. Even if they start heavily drawing parallels between NTTD and DN once the marketing ramps up, that still wouldn't be a real connection imo. Remember the SP marketing? Craig wearing an outfit similar to Moore's LALD one, and his Samedi looking disguise featured heavily. Was the end product anything like LALD? Nah. That's just how they're marketed now. Mine for a bit of nostalgia, probably to appeal more to the bloggers/film sites who can tweet about the "cool connection" they've spotted rather than anyone who's actually seen those films or has been following the production of this one, and drum up an extra bit of publicity in the process. Same with the V8. Dalton's car but that doesn't mean the end product will be anything like TLD does it.

I don't think he'll be Dr No. I have a feeling that after how badly Brofeld went down they'll be avoiding rebooting any other old villains for the time being (plus, if they ever did bring him back, surely they'd get an actual chinese actor this time to avoid controversy). And I think it's depressing that we're even talking about it as a possibility. Rebooting recurring characters is cool but rebooting one offs is a step too far imo. Hope it never happens in my lifetime.
  • RC7RC7
    tenor.gif
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Zekidk wrote: »
    What do these modern feminists demand?
    World domination!

Same old dream
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah we've got Jamaica and the word No in the title but they don't seem at all like clues to me. Even if they start heavily drawing parallels between NTTD and DN once the marketing ramps up, that still wouldn't be a real connection imo. Remember the SP marketing? Craig wearing an outfit similar to Moore's LALD one, and his Samedi looking disguise featured heavily. Was the end product anything like LALD? Nah. That's just how they're marketed now. Mine for a bit of nostalgia, probably to appeal more to the bloggers/film sites who can tweet about the "cool connection" they've spotted rather than anyone who's actually seen those films or has been following the production of this one, and drum up an extra bit of publicity in the process. Same with the V8. Dalton's car but that doesn't mean the end product will be anything like TLD does it.

I don't think he'll be Dr No. I have a feeling that after how badly Brofeld went down they'll be avoiding rebooting any other old villains for the time being (plus, if they ever did bring him back, surely they'd get an actual chinese actor this time to avoid controversy). And I think it's depressing that we're even talking about it as a possibility. Rebooting recurring characters is cool but rebooting one offs is a step too far imo. Hope it never happens in my lifetime.
    +1
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dali Benssalah in Pinewood:

3x4CAIw.jpg

Via Eliot Sumner, also in the Cuban scene apparently... ;)
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    And in tux... Interesting! So he's not bursting in as a baddie in that scene... Maybe he's undercover?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Will Eliot be playing a henchwoman? I hope so... a henchman/woman to the villain that's actually quite young would be an interesting and original idea for the Bond franchise :)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,314
    @DarthDimi it’s difficult to have a serious conversation about ‘feminism’ when you write in that tone or just don’t understand the subtlety of the subject. It reads like Jeremy clarkson talking to a top gear crowd.

I’d class myself as a feminist. I have to be. I owe it to my daughter to ensure she has the same treatment, opportunity as her brother and gets the life experience she wants, not what other people expect.

Watching bonds borderline rapey behavoir of the nurse in thunderball isn’t where we should be. Positive female role models don’t mean neutering the relevant aspects of bonds character. Saying “a woman!?” To a female doctor isn’t relevant anymore.

Most people seem to like Tracy in ohmss. So what are we complaining about if they’re pushing for more of that and less of Mary goodnight.

@J_Bryce777 @mtm I think this is closer to the point. I think the issue we have is some of the ‘strong women’ have been very much as singular idea of what a strong woman is - jinx and wai lin springs to mind - physically strong, combative, spunky, spiky or downright obnoxious.

They got it right with vesper IMO. Interested to see where phoebe WB takes it. I like the cut of her jib.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Will Eliot be playing a henchwoman? I hope so... a henchman/woman to the villain that's actually quite young would be an interesting and original idea for the Bond franchise :)

We've had young henchwomen before though; Alison Doody as Jenny Flex for example. She was 19(!) in 1985.

Edit: while quickly going through the cast list of AVTAK, I misread Daniel Benzali (playing W. G. Howe) as Dali Benssalah! :))