No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I agree @PanchitoPistoles, while Spectre's cinematography is not completely awful and suits some sequences, it's not as good as Skyfall or as good as the cinematography for Spectre could've been. It definitely has a old espionage feel, but it didn't really suit a lot of it. The cinematography felt too small and closed in for what needed to be a film with scope and scale in my opinion. Great cinematography for the wrong film, if that makes sense. For example, Hoyt's style worked for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but not for Spectre. And the less said about the weird CGI glow in some scenes the better.

I think Sandgren's gonna come a close second to Deakins :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Filming for James Bond's No Time To Die 'sparks huge terror scare following unbelievable blunder at largest RAF air base in UK’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7556593/Filming-James-Bonds-No-Time-Die-sparks-huge-terror-scare-largest-RAF-air-base-UK.html
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Doh!
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Filming for James Bond's No Time To Die 'sparks huge terror scare following unbelievable blunder at largest RAF air base in UK’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7556593/Filming-James-Bonds-No-Time-Die-sparks-huge-terror-scare-largest-RAF-air-base-UK.html

Maybe we're finally getting Craig dressed in proper service uniform!!!
    Zekidk wrote: »
    @TripAces

Not as bad as the Broadgate Tower in London doubling for Shanghai in SF, IMO.

As a resident of Shanghai...it's a sin! ;)

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,554
    Bounine wrote: »
    @TripAces

Enormous difference. 99% of the audience couldn't tell you that those buildings weren't Shanghai. There was nothing in the architecture that would make anyone suspect anything.

Meanwhile, most audience members could tell you that the eastern European architecture of Prague in no way resembles anything you'd find in Miami. The big sin, as pointed out, was the expense EON went through to bring in palm trees (as though that's all that is needed); this instead of just taking a small unit over to Miami (they were in the Bahamas, for crying out loud! LOL).

TripAces wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »
    @TripAces

Enormous difference. 99% of the audience couldn't tell you that those buildings weren't Shanghai. There was nothing in the architecture that would make anyone suspect anything.

Meanwhile, most audience members could tell you that the eastern European architecture of Prague in no way resembles anything you'd find in Miami. The big sin, as pointed out, was the expense EON went through to bring in palm trees (as though that's all that is needed); this instead of just taking a small unit over to Miami (they were in the Bahamas, for crying out loud! LOL).

True. I didn't know. :)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

A Royal Navy uniform i would say bring it on.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    mtm wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    My guess with most films is due to financing and grants/incentives. It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again. Over the past 4 years, there's been a glut or films using countries like Austria, Canada and then specific places cities like Georgia. I think the only issue with this is when you've got similar action films come out and there's then a lack of diversity in locations. Loving the inclusion of the new Defender, NTTD will be it's first film outing for sure.

To me, the most egregious violation was Prague standing in for downtown Miami during the Bodyworlds exhibit in CR. That was really bad.

And while I knew that of course it never bothered me.

It’s funny because I was there for some of the filming. Where M is talking about self righteous prigs, this was a bizarre museum location in real life (http://www.strahovskyklaster.cz/) doubling as a Whitehall space. I thought Prague did a sterling job.

Yeah I thought it did too. I can’t think of many occasions where a Bond film’s doubling of location has let it down badly. DAD probably has most of the worst all in one film, with its very British coastal-looking ‘Korean’ love shack, or the forests of Korea looking exceptionally like Kent or somewhere (even so, not too bad).
    Cuba probably has some of the oddest doubling up: the half-hearted palm trees covering some show ground in Surrey or somewhere in Octopussy have to be amongst the least convincing! Are there worse examples I’m missing?

I thought Rome doubling for Tangier in Spectre was rather brilliant to be honest, and I loved the bare-faced cheek of having bits of London pretend to be St Petersburg in GoldenEye without it really noticing- they even had the courtyard of Somerset House pretend to be a road junction despite there being no actual exits! :)

What? I thought they actually shot Scenes in Tangier in SP.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272
    matt_u wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I definitely had a "wait a moment…" reaction to seeing Blenheim Palace in SP. Maybe less because of the architecture, and probably more because I've seen Blenheim Palace in films and TV series before.

Barry Lyndon, the most prominent one, to me.

Inspector Morse / Lewis here. It's been used quite a lot as a location; surprisingly often too.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Benny wrote: »
    Most films nowadays don't use actual locations due to budgets. Of course there are those, that use the location to its fullest. But it's not common.
    The Bond films are no different. It's easy for us mega fans to re-watch these films over and over, dissecting each scene. But for the most part, people aren't doing that. On my initial viewing of SF, I didn't for one moment think, that's not China, or this is Pinewood. I went along with the story, and was taken to the places I was seeing. I didn't dwell on them not using the real locations, because the visuals and story satisfied me enough.
    If you cant watch a film and be taken out of your reality for a moment, then I feel sorry for you. Part of the enjoyment of watching movies for me, is be taken somewhere else for a while. Caught up in the story, the make believe.
    I don't think films are supposed to be this complicated. We should be enjoying ourselves surely.
    This.
    :)>-
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    My guess with most films is due to financing and grants/incentives. It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again. Over the past 4 years, there's been a glut or films using countries like Austria, Canada and then specific places cities like Georgia. I think the only issue with this is when you've got similar action films come out and there's then a lack of diversity in locations. Loving the inclusion of the new Defender, NTTD will be it's first film outing for sure.

To me, the most egregious violation was Prague standing in for downtown Miami during the Bodyworlds exhibit in CR. That was really bad.

It’s funny because I was there for some of the filming. Where M is talking about self righteous prigs, this was a bizarre museum location in real life (http://www.strahovskyklaster.cz/) doubling as a Whitehall space. I thought Prague did a sterling job.

Yeah I thought it did too. I can’t think of many occasions where a Bond film’s doubling of location has let it down badly. DAD probably has most of the worst all in one film, with its very British coastal-looking ‘Korean’ love shack, or the forests of Korea looking exceptionally like Kent or somewhere (even so, not too bad).
    Cuba probably has some of the oddest doubling up: the half-hearted palm trees covering some show ground in Surrey or somewhere in Octopussy have to be amongst the least convincing! Are there worse examples I’m missing?

I thought Rome doubling for Tangier in Spectre was rather brilliant to be honest, and I loved the bare-faced cheek of having bits of London pretend to be St Petersburg in GoldenEye without it really noticing- they even had the courtyard of Somerset House pretend to be a road junction despite there being no actual exits! :)

They did
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

They did

Indeed.

http://movie-locations.com/movies/s/Spectre.php
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,933

They did

I read that the walk through the town and arrival at 'L'Americain' is Rome.

EDIT: That seems wrong though: it's the Rue de la Liberté in Tangiers. The background and view over the city has indeed been added in CG though.

Excellent article about the effects in Spectre here: https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/spectre-acular-special-effects/
    Did you know the train was CG? Me neither.
  • Well this digression into neo-Classical architecture and the cinematography of Skyfall and Spectre has been great . . .

. . . any news about the actual film?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,933
    octofinger wrote: »
    Well this digression into neo-Classical architecture and the cinematography of Skyfall and Spectre has been great . . .

You're welcome to post any if you have it..?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    octofinger wrote: »
    Well this digression into neo-Classical architecture and the cinematography of Skyfall and Spectre has been great . . .

The only recent news @octofinger

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Ana de Armas' stunt double

..thanking stunt team & Bond crew

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Contraband wrote: »

Damn.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I really hope she’s a femme-fatale :)

Damn.

Icky. I rather marry Michael G Wilson

LOL
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 5
    @TripAces

Remember reading that for them to have the entrance in Prague look like Miami, they had to fly in palm trees, and american cars to get that five second shot where Bond exits the cab and enters the building.
    It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again.
    SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    MI5: Rogue Nation:
    mJNKBqe.jpg
    @TripAces

It’s so weird because both movies were released in the same year, only 3-4 months apart. I was like: hey, wait. Is that? I do like both movies overall, but RN was a better film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Damn.

Icky. I rather marry Michael G Wilson

LOL

Sorry, I'm a sucker for stunt women. :))
    RC7 wrote: »
    @TripAces

Remember reading that for them to have the entrance in Prague look like Miami, they had to fly in palm trees, and american cars to get that five second shot where Bond exits the cab and enters the building.
    It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again.
    SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    MI5: Rogue Nation:
    mJNKBqe.jpg

All this picture confirms is that Spectre’s cinematography puts Rogue Nation’s to shame.

Indeed.

+1

With all its flaws SP is a gorgeous movie.
    No Time to Die: Naomie Harris says new Bond film will ‘really shock people’

“It’s a tie-up of Skyfall and Spectre,” she said. “But with massive, massive surprises that even had me like, ‘Oh wow.’ So I think we’re really going to shock people.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/no-time-to-die-naomie-harris-james-bond-moneypenny-daniel-craig-cast-trailer-a9146881.html

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Anyone else in the area receive one of these? It seems fake in comparison to the other letters that were sent out earlier in the year.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    No Time to Die: Naomie Harris says new Bond film will ‘really shock people’

“It’s a tie-up of Skyfall and Spectre,” she said. “But with massive, massive surprises that even had me like, ‘Oh wow.’ So I think we’re really going to shock people.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/no-time-to-die-naomie-harris-james-bond-moneypenny-daniel-craig-cast-trailer-a9146881.html
    Is James Bond going to be dead the entire time?
    :-?
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Anyone else in the area receive one of these? It seems fake in comparison to the other letters that were sent out earlier in the year.

Compare txt with these two from Spectre-shoot

hAX5UDJ.jpg
    UkbuGgb.jpg

They did

I read that the walk through the town and arrival at 'L'Americain' is Rome.

EDIT: That seems wrong though: it's the Rue de la Liberté in Tangiers. The background and view over the city has indeed been added in CG though.

Excellent article about the effects in Spectre here: https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/spectre-acular-special-effects/
    Did you know the train was CG? Me neither.

Really great article thank you.

Oh dear, that is a bit careless. :))

One can only hope?!!! [-O< :-bd