Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Matt007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    My guess with most films is due to financing and grants/incentives. It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again. Over the past 4 years, there's been a glut or films using countries like Austria, Canada and then specific places cities like Georgia. I think the only issue with this is when you've got similar action films come out and there's then a lack of diversity in locations. Loving the inclusion of the new Defender, NTTD will be it's first film outing for sure.

To me, the most egregious violation was Prague standing in for downtown Miami during the Bodyworlds exhibit in CR. That was really bad.

And while I knew that of course it never bothered me.

It’s funny because I was there for some of the filming. Where M is talking about self righteous prigs, this was a bizarre museum location in real life (http://www.strahovskyklaster.cz/) doubling as a Whitehall space. I thought Prague did a sterling job.

Yeah I thought it did too. I can’t think of many occasions where a Bond film’s doubling of location has let it down badly. DAD probably has most of the worst all in one film, with its very British coastal-looking ‘Korean’ love shack, or the forests of Korea looking exceptionally like Kent or somewhere (even so, not too bad).
    Cuba probably has some of the oddest doubling up: the half-hearted palm trees covering some show ground in Surrey or somewhere in Octopussy have to be amongst the least convincing! Are there worse examples I’m missing?

I thought Rome doubling for Tangier in Spectre was rather brilliant to be honest, and I loved the bare-faced cheek of having bits of London pretend to be St Petersburg in GoldenEye without it really noticing- they even had the courtyard of Somerset House pretend to be a road junction despite there being no actual exits! :)

What? I thought they actually shot Scenes in Tangier in SP.

They did

I read that the walk through the town and arrival at 'L'Americain' is Rome.

EDIT: That seems wrong though: it's the Rue de la Liberté in Tangiers. The background and view over the city has indeed been added in CG though.

Excellent article about the effects in Spectre here: https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/spectre-acular-special-effects/
    Did you know the train was CG? Me neither.

Really great article thank you.

Genuinely amazing the amount of stuff they do, isn't it? Sticking sunglasses on people in the crowd in Mexico? The shot of Bond running towards the camera when the building collapses is a face replacement? I thought that was Craig.
  • I am sure that no one on the production or publicity for No Time to Die has said the name of Rami Malek’s villain. He let slip in an interview months ago about playing an iconic character.
    Wonder who it could be?????
    I have my thoughts.
    What’s yours?
    Who knows
    They must be really confident in this film with such little marketing

Skyfall had more awareness attached to it 6 months before release
  • Tuck91 wrote: »
    Who knows
    They must be really confident in this film with such little marketing

Skyfall had more awareness attached to it 6 months before release

Never seen a Bond film marketed as much as Skyfall.
  • I think he’s meaning he’s playing a new character that will become iconic. I doubt they’d rehash an old Bond villain, especially if they’re telling a completely original story picking up from Skyfall and Spectre.
  • I think he’s meaning he’s playing a new character that will become iconic. I doubt they’d rehash an old Bond villain, especially if they’re telling a completely original story picking up from Skyfall and Spectre.

Just saying, they brought back Blofeld(who hadn’t been in a film since DAF), why not another iconic SPECTRE operative??
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,834
    FredJB007 wrote: »
    I think he’s meaning he’s playing a new character that will become iconic. I doubt they’d rehash an old Bond villain, especially if they’re telling a completely original story picking up from Skyfall and Spectre.

Just saying, they brought back Blofeld(who hadn’t been in a film since DAF), why not another iconic SPECTRE operative??
    I think Blofeld was an easier character to introduce because he's so hugely iconic to the franchise, and even our own culture, and isn't tied down to any particular film or novel, whereas all our other known SPECTRE villains are known for that one story. The only character you could really reboot and try again, would be Irma Bunt, which they nearly did in Spectre, but I think they made her younger, and a lesbian/bisexual, who knows? But yeah to bring back other villains like Dr. No, Rosa Klebb etc, would involve retconning the stories that are so iconic alongside them, especially Dr. No, who is literally the title of the film/novel.

The only thing I could see is them creating an original villain who has shades of the villains of old. Like how Raoul Silva gave some of us Francisco Scaramanga vibes.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I think he’s meaning he’s playing a new character that will become iconic. I doubt they’d rehash an old Bond villain, especially if they’re telling a completely original story picking up from Skyfall and Spectre.

I think Blofeld was an easier character to introduce because he's so hugely iconic to the franchise, and even our own culture, and isn't tied down to any particular film or novel, whereas all our other known SPECTRE villains are known for that one story. The only character you could really reboot and try again, would be Irma Bunt, which they nearly did in Spectre, but I think they made her younger, and a lesbian/bisexual, who knows? But yeah to bring back other villains like Dr. No, Rosa Klebb etc, would involve retconning the stories that are so iconic alongside them, especially Dr. No, who is literally the title of the film/novel.

The only thing I could see is them creating an original villain who has shades of the villains of old. Like how Raoul Silva gave some of us Francisco Scaramanga vibes.

You are probably right, but I could see Malek in the same outfit and the metal hands.....

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

You are probably right, but I could see Malek in the same outfit and the metal hands.....
    Oh yeah, if they actually wanted to, he'd be perfect, but just not gonna be the case. I also think the producers have made it pretty well known they won't be going back to any of the old novels for a re-adaptation.
    Maleks secrecy, his resemblance to dr no, and science being involved is starting to make me think dr no may he malek
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Maleks secrecy, his resemblance to dr no, and science being involved is starting to make me think dr no may he malek
    Malek's secrecy is expected, his resemblance is coincidence and also based on opinion, and how many other villains had science involved in their schemes?
    matt_u wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I'd love to see Norway feature as Norway in an international production for once. Not just as a stand-in for a different country.

I understand you. The issue is that Norway is universally seen as one of the most evolved countries, while Russia, well, it's universally seen as the big bad... at least in the Western culture, at least in Hollywood... :D

So Russia could be more impactful, so to speak...

It could be that both countries will figure in the plot. For sure, nobody will mistake the Atlantic Ocean Road as being a part of Russia.

For Fallout they took arguably the most famous spot in all Norway and pretended to be India. In SP they forced us to believe the austere uber Brit Blenheim Palace could be right next door to the bloody Vatican... to Bernini and Michelangelo...

That's really a testament to what Hollywood thinks of the average American intelligence.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Zekidk wrote: »
    @TripAces

Not as bad as the Broadgate Tower in London doubling for Shanghai in SF, IMO.

Remember reading that for them to have the entrance in Prague look like Miami, they had to fly in palm trees, and american cars to get that five second shot where Bond exits the cab and enters the building.
    It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again.
    SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    MI5: Rogue Nation:
    mJNKBqe.jpg

Watch that scene in Rogue Nation closely and you will even see the DB5 make a cameo...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    imranbecks wrote: »
    @TripAces

Remember reading that for them to have the entrance in Prague look like Miami, they had to fly in palm trees, and american cars to get that five second shot where Bond exits the cab and enters the building.
    SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

Watch that scene in Rogue Nation closely and you will even see the DB5 make a cameo...
    That's actually a DB6 in RN.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    jake24 wrote: »
    imranbecks wrote: »
    @TripAces

SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

That's actually a DB6 in RN.

Still close enough to be an obvious nod to 007. DB5 and DB6 looks almost identical especially from afar.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Is this what you had in mind @FredJB007 :) Just a quick edit. I kinda rushed tbh haha
    ddi18p3-4aec9413-07f9-4415-be4b-7cd5bcb903fc.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NkNWQwOTM4LWY2M2YtNDUyZi04ZTk5LTc3M2QwYWUzMTEzNlwvZGRpMThwMy00YWVjOTQxMy0wN2Y5LTQ0MTUtYmU0Yi03Y2Q1YmNiOTAzZmMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.JvCmPbxnl8Kmi6YPlRSm-gYYQ3AQmwg3qHYcqBtw7Ow
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Is this what you had in mind @FredJB007 :) Just a quick edit. I kinda rushed tbh haha
    ddi18p3-4aec9413-07f9-4415-be4b-7cd5bcb903fc.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NkNWQwOTM4LWY2M2YtNDUyZi04ZTk5LTc3M2QwYWUzMTEzNlwvZGRpMThwMy00YWVjOTQxMy0wN2Y5LTQ0MTUtYmU0Yi03Y2Q1YmNiOTAzZmMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.JvCmPbxnl8Kmi6YPlRSm-gYYQ3AQmwg3qHYcqBtw7Ow

This is AWESOME!!!!
    Great Job!!!!!!

It is appreciated!!!!😃
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165
    While we're sharing fanart, here's a mock-up of Rami as Dr. Shatterhand based on an illustration I found online. Probability next to nil, but I kind of like the idea of Malek looking unlike anything we've had before.

Blofeld-Malek.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Malek did say he would look quite different from his normal self, so that idea is intriguing in itself. Can't wait to find out more about his character.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,160
    how many other villains had science involved in their schemes?
    Blofeld in OHMSS, Blofeld in DAF, Drax in MR, Zorin in AVTAK...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    how many other villains had science involved in their schemes?
    Blofeld in OHMSS, Blofeld in DAF, Drax in MR, Zorin in AVTAK...
    Exactly :)
    Minion wrote: »
    While we're sharing fanart, here's a mock-up of Rami as Dr. Shatterhand based on an illustration I found online. Probability next to nil, but I kind of like the idea of Malek looking unlike anything we've had before.

Blofeld-Malek.jpg

YES!!!! I love it!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I really hate the idea of Malek being Dr. No. So much so that if it were to happen, I would happily skip NTTD altogether.
  • I really hate the idea of Malek being Dr. No. So much so that if it were to happen, I would happily skip NTTD altogether.

Hope it's not one of the 'shocking' things that Naomie Harris was referring to.
  • manovermanover uk
    Maybe he is dr no...is that why their is a NO in the title?

This is AWESOME!!!!
    Great Job!!!!!!

It is appreciated!!!!😃

Brilliant but he needs a kind of scar. :) I hope Malek will have a somewhat crazy, eccentric look.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »

Blofeld-Malek.jpg

YES!!!! I love it!

I'd love him to have this look like the literary character.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He’s not gonna be Dr. No :)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Let him be his own thing and be remembered for it. He deserves it.

Although those pics do look cool.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    Let him be his own thing and be remembered for it. He deserves it.

Although those pics do look cool.
    I agree, although I couldn’t help myself, had to do that little edit. It really suits him haha :D