No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited October 2019 Posts: 17,241
    mtm wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    AM I right in thinking that locations for this sequence are Norway, Scotland and Wiltshire? They did film a chase on the ocean road in Norway with this car no?

Yes, they did:

Not with this car, no: that is the new Land Rover Defender and it hadn't been seen anywhere in public at the point they filmed the Norway sequences. It did leak, but not until after that.

True. Didn't go back to check if it was the same car until I decided to have a look at the licence plates. Looks like the plates are from the same country with this car though, and the two grey ones in the chase on the Atlantic Road.

matt_u wrote: »
    It seems another Russian plate... I'm starting to believe that Norway could really double for Russia.

I fear that will be the case (not that I was any optimistic Norway would feature as Norway in the first place).

Why fear? Russia is an important nation in geopolitics atm :-). Ian Fleming dedicated an entire novel about it. So if written well, bring it on.

I'd love to see Norway feature as Norway in an international production for once. Not just as a stand-in for a different country.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If Malek is related to SPECTRE, it would be nice to have Russia in the film. Russia played a big part in the past films and in Fleming novels, and during the Craig era has been mentioned/used (very briefly) only in QoS, so it would be sweet to have the big country playing a big part at least in one film with Craig.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Is it possible that the older vehicle is featured in two different time periods, the present and in a flashback sequence?
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,343
    I'd love to see Norway feature as Norway in an international production for once. Not just as a stand-in for a different country.

I understand you. The issue is that Norway is universally seen as one of the most evolved countries, while Russia, well, it's universally seen as the big bad... at least in the Western culture, at least in Hollywood... :D

So Russia could be more impactful, so to speak...

I understand you. The issue is that Norway is universally seen as one of the most evolved countries, while Russia, well, it's universally seen as the big bad... at least in the Western culture, at least in Hollywood... :D

Very true, and there's probably very little that screams "intrigue", "espionage" etc. with Norway (or whole of Scandinavia for that matter), but it would be interesting to see them actually present the country as is.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

It could be that both countries will figure in the plot. For sure, nobody will mistake the Atlantic Ocean Road as being a part of Russia.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,834

Very true, and there's probably very little that screams "intrigue", "espionage" etc. with Norway (or whole of Scandinavia for that matter), but it would be interesting to see them actually present the country as is.
    ...even if part of it is filmed in England and Scotland haha :D But yeah I think I'd prefer to see Norway in the film but I'm sure the film will change my mind :)
    TripAces wrote: »

It could be that both countries will figure in the plot. For sure, nobody will mistake the Atlantic Ocean Road as being a part of Russia.

For Fallout they took arguably the most famous spot in all Norway and pretended to be India. In SP they forced us to believe the austere uber Brit Blenheim Palace could be right next door to the bloody Vatican... to Bernini and Michelangelo...

For Fallout they took arguably the most famous spot in all Norway and pretended to be India. In SP they forced us to believe the austere uber Brit Blenheim Palace could be right next door to the bloody Vatican... to Bernini and Michelangelo...

To boot, a famous dam in Italy was used as part of Russia, too. They do this all the time.

But there is a huge difference between a natural rock formation or a dam, when it is used in a single shot. With the road, we will likely see them driving for a while. It is an entire stretch of very recognizable road.

Besides, if memory serves: the cars appeared to have Norwegian plates in the scenes shot there...as well as the scenes in Scotland meant to double for Norway (according to my source).:

https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/forste-bilder-av-hemmelig-bond-bil/71151582
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,241

To boot, a famous dam in Italy was used as part of Russia, too. They do this all the time.

But there is a huge difference between a natural rock formation or a dam, when it is used in a single shot. With the road, we will likely see them driving for a while. It is an entire stretch of very recognizable road.

Besides, if memory serves: the cars appeared to have Norwegian plates in the scenes shot there...as well as the scenes in Scotland meant to double for Norway (according to my source).:

https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/forste-bilder-av-hemmelig-bond-bil/71151582

Of course they do this all the time, but since this is the first time they do a more extensive shoot over here (as in not just shooting a few exterior shots), you'd want it to actually portray the place.

As for the cars, the chasing grey cars doesn't have Norwegian plates. The car they're following has a number plate that sort of looks similar to the plates we have here, and I've written previously about what looks like a red sticker – similar to the motor vehicle tax oblates used up until 2012, but there's a digit too much on the plate (we use five digits - the car has six).

We'll know eventually though which country it's supposed to portray.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Is this even an issue? It just needs to flow. Skyfall did this kind of thing all over the place - Shanghai is partly London, Scotland is was partly Hankley Common and most of Silva's island was Pinewood.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Satorious wrote: »
    Is this even an issue? It just needs to flow. Skyfall did this kind of thing all over the place - Shanghai is partly London, Scotland is was partly Hankley Common and most of Silva's island was Pinewood.

All Bondmovies have been doing it.

DAD's Cuban scenes were (for obvious reaons) not filmed there, but that's not the biggest problem with that film...

As for which country, Norway or Russia? I think both. Or maybe Spectre has built an extension to that bridge? 8-}
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 2,436

Films from forever and a day do this for a variety of reasons. Black Narcissus was shot entirely in studio with exceptional use of matte paintings for 'location' shots.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    When I worked on a swedish tv-series, set in the south of Sweden in the 17th century, we shot basically the whole thing in Lithuania. Historical drama about the Snapphane peasant rebel movement that fought against the Swedish rule of Scania.

My guess with most films is due to financing and grants/incentives. It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again. Over the past 4 years, there's been a glut or films using countries like Austria, Canada and then specific places cities like Georgia. I think the only issue with this is when you've got similar action films come out and there's then a lack of diversity in locations. Loving the inclusion of the new Defender, NTTD will be it's first film outing for sure.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

DAD's Cuban scenes were (for obvious reaons) not filmed there
    No one from the main cast ever left UK when filming DAD.

Earlier, especially in the Lewis Gilbert Bond movies, they put a larger effort into actually being on location, even though it would be easier just to shoot at Pinewood. For the 'Bond touring temples montage" in TSWLM - they could easily have built some fake pillars there and use establishing shots, instead of dragging poor Roger all over Egypt, for example.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Zekidk wrote: »

Earlier, especially in the Lewis Gilbert Bond movies, they put a larger effort into actually being on location, even though it would be easier just to shoot at Pinewood. For the 'Bond touring temples montage" in TSWLM - they could easily have built some fake pillars there and use establishing shots, instead of dragging poor Roger all over Egypt, for example.
    Brosnan and Berry filmed in Cadiz.
    jake24 wrote: »

Brosnan and Berry filmed in Cadiz.

http://movie-locations.com/movies/d/Die-Another-Day.php

Meanwhile, do we know for sure now from which country the licence plates are (or based on)?
    I can't remember who asked but I had it confirmed that the hotel set in Matera has long been taken down. It's no big surprise considering the wrap party but it shows that the local press rumours of them blowing up the hotel in town were just rumours.
    @slyfox any idea of when you gonna post the stuff you took in Matera ? :p

Will aim to do so this weekend! Sorry for the delay. Heading to Rio next week so will make it my priority to upload them before I kill some hours over there not doing samba... 😉
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,548
    My guess with most films is due to financing and grants/incentives. It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again. Over the past 4 years, there's been a glut or films using countries like Austria, Canada and then specific places cities like Georgia. I think the only issue with this is when you've got similar action films come out and there's then a lack of diversity in locations. Loving the inclusion of the new Defender, NTTD will be it's first film outing for sure.

To me, the most egregious violation was Prague standing in for downtown Miami during the Bodyworlds exhibit in CR. That was really bad.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And how about Norway standing in for the ice planet Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back? I was hoping it would really feature as Norway, but nooo...
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,160
    @TripAces

Not as bad as the Broadgate Tower in London doubling for Shanghai in SF, IMO.

Remember reading that for them to have the entrance in Prague look like Miami, they had to fly in palm trees, and american cars to get that five second shot where Bond exits the cab and enters the building.
    It's funny to see the inclusion of specific places over and over again.
    SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    MI5: Rogue Nation:
    mJNKBqe.jpg
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    And how about Norway standing in for the ice planet Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back? I was hoping it would really feature as Norway, but nooo...

:)) :))
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    @TripAces

Remember reading that for them to have the entrance in Prague look like Miami, they had to fly in palm trees, and american cars to get that five second shot where Bond exits the cab and enters the building.
    SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

All this picture confirms is that Spectre’s cinematography puts Rogue Nation’s to shame.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    @TripAces

SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

All this picture confirms is that Spectre’s cinematography puts Rogue Nation’s to shame.

Is that a real screenshot? It looks like a painting.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,160
    Both screengrabs. SP from the 4k iTunes, MI5 from the UHD. Heavily compressed though. Didn't really like the grading in neither of them.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @TripAces

SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

No, it proves that they were trying to convey two different atmospheres, one location that is a mysterious criminal organization is meeting and the other a legitimate meeting of world diplomats and officials. , The cinematography in RN was top notch, and equal , or superior, to SPECTRE. Actually the same can be said for the films in total.

To me, the most egregious violation was Prague standing in for downtown Miami during the Bodyworlds exhibit in CR. That was really bad.

And while I knew that of course it never bothered me.
  • RC7RC7
    @TripAces

SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

Indeed.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RC7 wrote: »
    @TripAces

SPECTRE:
    oTLGkRZ.jpg
    mJNKBqe.jpg

Indeed.

+1