Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Each to their own, I suppose.
    If anybody thinks Jack O'Connell is Bond material, and should be handed the most prestigious male role in moviedom, they have an absolute right to hold that view. I would defend their right to hold that view to the hilt.
    It doesn't mean that they're sensible to hold that view, though, or that it's ever going to happen. Because you might as well put a blindfold on, walk into the nearest Wetherspoons on a Thursday afternoon, randomly tap the first bloke you bump into on the shoulder and anoint him as the new Bond - the chances are that choosing Craig's successor that way will result in someone more Bond-like than O'Connell getting the gig.
    I mean, really? Is this what it's come to, Jack O'Connell? Whatever your opinions may be on his acting chops, he is a rough-looking short-arse (no offence intended). Oh, and there's a world of difference between 'rugged' and 'rough' - the two are not interchangeable; Tim Dalton is rugged, Viggo Mortensen is rugged - neither man is identifiable as 'rough'.

Good post. +1.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Alexander Scarsgard. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Alexander Scarsgard. (I know he's Swedish, doesn't matter IMO)

No to any none Brits.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Alexander Scarsgard. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Alexander Scarsgard. (I know he's Swedish, doesn't matter IMO)

No to any none Brits.
    +1
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ok
    Jack O'Connell's look and persona screams 'Council Estate Chav'.

This is nothing more than classism but I'm going to bite the bait and ask how he looks at all chavy? How can anyone even look like a chav aside from dressing a certain way, which he doesn't? What do you mean his "persona" (seems like a nice and intelligent guy in interviews I've seen/read) and how would any of this whatsoever affect his performance on screen when he's proven himself to be a very versatile (northern mod/skinhead type, dangerous cockney young offender, vulnerable fresh faced squaddie, troubled American cowboy trying to reform, American olympic athlete and POW, etc etc) and charismatic actor?

You should watch him in Starred Up, Godless and 71, which I'm assuming you haven't, seems instead that you've written him off based some photos of when he was in Skins or Harry Brown (only way I can imagine you getting the impression you've gotten). And give this a read while you're at it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chavs-Demonization-Working-Owen-Jones/dp/1784783773/ref=asc_df_1784783773/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310805555931&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10510976036128670219&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006947&hvtargid=pla-472077245943&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Height is one thing. Don't agree but I can see why it's an issue for some people. But writing him off because he's from a working class background and has played working class roles in the past is just laughable.

Like it or not height is important for a leading man and for Bond. Just as models are paid to look good in a suit/ on screen, So is Bond, or the actor who plays him. If one is a border line midget, then playing 007 is not a role suitable for that individual.

IMO you can tell when certain individuals are from a certain background and O’Connell looks ‘chavvy’. You don’t agree, I respect that. Even in a suit he looks ‘messy’. An example of this type of look is say Jeremy Corbyn......even in a Savill Row suit he still looks like a tramp....he looks chavvy/ scruffy.

Moore and Connery are from working class backgrounds, but they can ‘look’ and ‘play’ the part convincingly.

I don't agree because it's bollocks mate. Sorry for being so direct but it is. The height thing is an agree to disagree issue. The "chav" thing isn't. You absoloutely 100% can not tell someone's background just from looking at them. You can make assumptions based on clothing sure, but that's a mute point because on screen he'd be dressed exactly the same as any other Bond actor. The only way to look scruffy in a suit would be to get an ill fitting one or wear it scruffily (top shirt button undone, messy hair, unshaven, that sort of thing), which obviously wouldn't happen because they'd be dressing and styling him like Bond.

Too short, too brutish looking. These are subjective but valid criticisms. Too chavvy looking isn't because there's no such thing as someone naturally looking like any social class.

Ok. I’ll re-phrase. O’Connell has a rough face reminiscent of the British underclass IMO. It’s not a fact it’s an opinion. He would be perfect for ‘This is England’. And some people absolutely can still look scruffy in a suit.... for example Jeremy Corbyn. The O’Connell argument really is mute based on the fact that he is the height of an average 12 year boy anyhow.

Corbyn looks scruffy in a suit because he doesn't care about fashion so he wears fairly cheap looking and ill fitting ones. If he had a shave and got a bespoke saville row suit he wouldn't look scruffy at all.

Should have just said that he looks too rough, as that seems to be what you've been trying to say. But for what it's worth I disagree on that as well. He doesn't look any rougher than Connery or Craig at all, and I don't think Bond should be a proper pretty boy anyway, he should look a bit rugged.

Corbyn looks scruffy in a suit because he has a 'messy face' like the Dad in Step Toe and Son'. If he had a shave and got a bespoke saville row suit he would still look like a tramp, you can't change his face. Bond is a public school boy and a snob, O' Connell won't be able to sell this' or grow 6 inches taller.

Whether ordering a Martini or skiing off a cliff, Bond never loses the insouciant self-confidence of ‘school’, as OEs refer to their alma mater. It’s almost impossible to fake. He knows how to deploy good manners as a weapon. And he is a snob — a ‘tremendous snob’, in fact, to quote Sean Connery’s description of Ian Fleming, who was initially horrified that his hero was being played by a former Edinburgh milkman. Ian Fleming, himself an OE, tells us that Bond was at Eton for only a year before he was expelled for ‘trouble with a housemaid’ and transferred to Fettes.

Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then because I just don't see facial features as a sign of class at all. I grew up on a council estate and knew people there who didn't look in the least bit rough/rugged. Likewise I'm sure there are former posh public school boys out there with hardened looking faces. Corbyn, who you say looks like a tramp, is privately educated for example. I just don't think you can make assumptions based on things people can't change about their appearance.

I agree with your description of Bond. That's bang on, not going to argue with that. But I think Bond shouldn't come across as too much of a ponce. There should be an element of danger, a slight roughness to him.

I guess what it comes down to is which of those sides we think can be played and which of them can't. Personally I think that O'Connell or another actor like him would easily be able to carry off the posh snobby stuff as long as they're a good enough actor, and I'd point to Connery as evidence of this, but the more dangerous side is something you either have or you don't. You seem to think the opposite, that the posh public school boy side is something that you either have or you don't, something that can't be played/performed. So fair enough, I see what you mean now. But I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that one.

If you want a low-class background actor to play high-class roles as example I'd point out Moore, who grew up the son of a policeman in the same neighbourhood as Caine.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Jack O'Connell does look like a roughneck. He would be right at home with a tracksuit on, and with his hands wrapped around his knackers 24/7. I can see a can of Fosters in his hand too. Lol. Yeah, he's definitely got a chavvy look. About as appropriate for Bond as Roland Rat.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 176
    I can't believe some people look at Jack O'Connell and think he looks remotely like Bond.

jack-o-connel-7dbfa52.jpg

It's almost like that blue or gold dress thing that went viral a while back. I don't see at all what some other people are seeing. And do is ears not stick out a bit?

1494312212_jack-oconnell-height-weight-body-measurements.jpg

And he looks soooo small. I know that Daniel Craig isn't very tall, but I don't see a small person when I see him in a picture or on film. Maybe he just has broader shoulders. O'Connell looks so tiny in some of these pictures. Here he is standing next to Sam Claflin, who is a shorter, smaller actor himself:

Sam-Claflin-Audi-Polo-Challenge.jpg

To anyone that says he'd look like Bond once he got into tux:

Meet-Actor-Jack-OConnell-BAFTA-Rising-Star-Winner.png

I'm sorry, but I don't see James Bond in that picture. The fact that some people do is flabbergasting.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I'm sorry, but I don't see James Bond in that picture. The fact that some people do is flabbergasting.

James Bond would be on the right there.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,661
    If anybody thinks Jack O'Connell is Bond material, and should be handed the most prestigious male role in moviedom, they have an absolute right to hold that view. I would defend their right to hold that view to the hilt.
    It doesn't mean that they're sensible to hold that view, though, or that it's ever going to happen. Because you might as well put a blindfold on, walk into the nearest Wetherspoons on a Thursday afternoon, randomly tap the first bloke you bump into on the shoulder and anoint him as the new Bond - the chances are that choosing Craig's successor that way will result in someone more Bond-like than O'Connell getting the gig.
    I mean, really? Is this what it's come to, Jack O'Connell? Whatever your opinions may be on his acting chops, he is a rough-looking short-arse (no offence intended). Oh, and there's a world of difference between 'rugged' and 'rough' - the two are not interchangeable; Tim Dalton is rugged, Viggo Mortensen is rugged - neither man is identifiable as 'rough'.

I know how to cast the next Bond actor. Type into Google images the following text:
    Random man

and whoever is the first photo listed - he's the guy. I have tested my profound theory... this is next James Bond!

XXUk6Pe1_400x400.jpg

:D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    fanbond123 wrote: »

I know how to cast the next Bond actor. Type into Google images the following text:
    Random man

and whoever is the first photo listed - he's the guy. I have tested my profound theory... this is next James Bond!

XXUk6Pe1_400x400.jpg

He has a certain Russell Crowe type quality to his face, certainly no worse than 95 percent of what gets suggested here page up and page down ad nauseam.
  • NeverOnTheFirmsTimeNeverOnTheFirmsTime A plane tree'd square off the Kings Road
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Random man

XXUk6Pe1_400x400.jpg

He has a certain Russell Crowe type quality to his face, certainly no worse than 95 percent of what gets suggested here page up and page down ad nauseam.

😂👍
    I can't believe some people look at Jack O'Connell and think he looks remotely like Bond.

It's almost like that blue or gold dress thing that went viral a while back. I don't see at all what some other people are seeing. And do is ears not stick out a bit?

And he looks soooo small. I know that Daniel Craig isn't very tall, but I don't see a small person when I see him in a picture or on film. Maybe he just has broader shoulders. O'Connell looks so tiny in some of these pictures. Here he is standing next to Sam Claflin, who is a shorter, smaller actor himself:

I don't exactly see Bond in him. However, if the HBO TV series ENTOURAGE were to be re-booted and recast I could see that guy as E.
    Doesn't look like Bond to me. Not in the slightest. Can't understand what some people think Bond is. But I have a theory, I think some fans look like someone and the champion that someone for that same reason. And that just isn't right.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,131
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I don't exactly see Bond in him. However, if the HBO TV series ENTOURAGE were to be re-booted and recast I could see that guy as E.

O’Connell would be great as an elf/gnome/ Nick Nack 2!!!! As Bond....laughable. In fact the suggestion of O’Connell is almost ‘internet trolling’!
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Univex wrote: »
    Doesn't look like Bond to me. Not in the slightest. Can't understand what some people think Bond is. But I have a theory, I think some fans look like someone and the champion that someone for that same reason. And that just isn't right.

I like that theory.

By that rationale I should nominate actor KIRK DOUGLAS to play Bond, because I've been told I resemble him. He's 103 this year and American. However, it seems just about anyone can be named as a possible Bond, (regardless of their lack of suitability for the role) ............and be taken seriously.

• edited September 2019 Posts: 6,677

I like that theory.

By that rationale I should nominate actor KIRK DOUGLAS to play Bond, because I've been told I resemble him. He's 103 this year and American. However, it seems just about anyone can be named as a possible Bond, (regardless of their lack of suitability for the role) ............and be taken seriously.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

Some people are that self centred. I remember a completely bald, strange-looking fan once stating he looked more like Bond than Craig. And then there are the guys who think Hardy should be Bond, or O'Connell, or Elba, or... It just gets to a point when nothing's worth debating. Stupidity takes hold and there's nothing one can do abou it.

Oh well, again, here's Bond 7:

gettyimages-505858456.jpg

And the fact that I look like him has nothing to do with it ;)

(Kidding)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While still like Tom Hughes for the role, I'm thinking Dan Stevens at the moment is the guy I would cast.

That being said I'm not EON and I am going to put my faith in them deciding when the time comes and if that is Aidan Turner, I'm sure he's shown it in his audition.

I'm certainly not starting the aidantunerisnotbond.com site if it happened.

Although while the role is undecided I'm not as convinced as some here. If he becomes Bond no. 7 I will give the guy a chance. Also, if like others who graciously went back on their initial opinions on Craig's unsuitability for the role and admitted they were wrong and he surprised them. I will like them graciously admit my concerns of Turner for the role were proved wrong if in my eyes he delivers in the role.

At the moment we are some way off that, so all bets are off despite the bookies touting whoever for the role.

I like that theory.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

Some people are that self centred. I remember a completely bald, strange-looking fan once stating he looked more like Bond than Craig. And then there are the guys who think Hardy should be Bond, or O'Connell, or Elba, or... It just gets to a point when nothing's worth debating. Stupidity takes hold and there's nothing one can do abou it.

(Kidding)

Just watched the 2nd episode of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE last night. So far Turner is the closest of any potential new Bond actor I would be happy with. He's quite brooding, yet dashing.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,131

I like that theory.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

(Kidding)

I agree, Elba, O’ Connell, Hardy are all totally unsuitable with regards to their looks. Turner on the other hand is a sensible and sane suggestion. The parts I have seen him play make me think he is worthy of a screen test for 007.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    I’m curious, maybe this isn’t the proper thread but where the hell do they go with bond after Craig? I think most believe that there are only so many ways to rehash missions with the same formula every time... I think the direction they decide to go will have a lot to do with the next man to play bond. After they rebooted with Craig and already came full circle with his character development I’m just really curious to see
    Shardlake wrote: »
    While still like Tom Hughes for the role, I'm thinking Dan Stevens at the moment is the guy I would cast.

That being said I'm not EON and I am going to put my faith in them deciding when the time comes and if that is Aidan Turner, I'm sure he's shown it in his audition.

I'm certainly not starting the aidantunerisnotbond.com site if it happened.

Although while the role is undecided I'm not as convinced as some here. If he becomes Bond no. 7 I will give the guy a chance. Also, if like others who graciously went back on their initial opinions on Craig's unsuitability for the role and admitted they were wrong and he surprised them. I will like them graciously admit my concerns of Turner for the role were proved wrong if in my eyes he delivers in the role.

At the moment we are some way off that, so all bets are off despite the bookies touting whoever for the role.

I like Dan Stevens. But he has weight issues. He can look like two different people in the space of a month. Just watch Downton Abbey. I've seen almost everything he's been in and I think he is a superb actor. Not a better than Turner, mind you. At the same level, although very very different. Turner has a more commanding presence, as one can see in Poldark when he's Captain Poldark to a given group of men and has to command them.

Tom Hughes is a skinny new gen too soft too scrawny fella. I'd beat him easily in a fist fight. The other two, not so sure. Heck, Turner would beat me up easily. Not that that's a proper marker for being Bond, mind you. But have you seen Hughes shirtless? Not an infinite amount of gym could fix that, IMO. Besides, he has this alien quality about him. Much like someone like Cumberbatch has.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Sam Claflin
    Tom Hiddleston (if he does a bit of gym time, Bond doesn't need to be built like DC but still)
    Aiden Turner
    Michael Fassbender

2 wild cards who I think would be great if British-
    Ryan Gosling
    Alexander Scarsgard
    If any of these got the gig I'd be pleased.
    Sam Claflin
    Tom Hiddleston (if he does a bit of gym time, Bond doesn't need to be built like DC but still)
    Aiden Turner
    Michael Fassbender

2 wild cards who I think would be great if British-
    Ryan Gosling
    Alexander Skarsgård
    If any of these got the gig I'd be pleased.

Sam Claflin - he's going bald fast, really fast.
    Tom Hiddleston - He "hearts" Taylor Swift, nuff said.
    Aiden Turner - Yes, he'll do
    Michael Fassbender - Getting old, and he's done quite a few bad films as of late.
    Ryan Gosling - Canadian, doesn't look like Bond. Good Felix, though.
    Alexander Skarsgård - Swedish, doesn't look like Bond. Good villain, though.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I keep coming back to the same two which are, Aidan Turner and Richard Madden.
    I'd probably pick Tom Hughes as a wildcard choice, if I were to pick a third

After watching the last series of Poldark with my Mrs, although the show wasn't my bag I'll be honest, I can see Aidan Turner as Bond and he'd be my top choice, when the time comes for Daniel to step down from the role.
  • manovermanover uk
    I have a feeling that jack lowden will get the role.
    Fits the profile of upcoming actor and right age profile.
    Unfortunately madden is attached with marvel now.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Sam Claflin-Mr Connery was balding, then bald.He did ok.
    Tom Hiddleston-yes looked a fool during the Taylor Swift thing, but still a good actor and screen presence so I don't care.
    Micheal Fassbender - not TOO old though and a couple of bad films are neither here or there because it was the material that was poor, not him.
    Ryan Gosling- him being Canadian will rule him out, but if I was in charge of casting he'd be in with shout. As I've said before nationality doesn't matter so long as they are the rights fit in all other respects.
    Alexander Scarsgard - same.
    I respect your views though, thanks for thinking about them.
    Sam Claflin-Mr Connery was balding, then bald.He did ok.
    Tom Hiddleston-yes looked a fool during the Taylor Swift thing, but still a good actor and screen presence so I don't care.
    Micheal Fassbender - not TOO old though and a couple of bad films are neither here or there because it was the material that was poor, not him.
    Ryan Gosling- him being Canadian will rule him out, but if I was in charge of casting he'd be in with shout. As I've said before nationality doesn't matter so long as they are the rights fit in all other respects.
    Alexander Skarsgård - same.
    I respect your views though, thanks for thinking about them.

Sam Claflin - Regarding Mr Connery's baldness. Wigs were a thing back then. Not so much now, though.
    Tom Hiddleston - I was one of his first supporters. I like him as a Moore-kind-of-Bond.
    Michael Fassbender - don't think he can pull off the accent. He sounds mid-atlantic nowadays. Turner can sound English, despite being Irish. Fassbender, not so much, IMO. But I do like him.
    Ryan Gosling & Alexander Skarsgård are just two foreigns. So, no. Nationality does matter, IMO. Two foreign women played Lara Croft, for example, none of them really worked, again IMO. And I prefer Jolie's take, btw.
    I too respect your views ;) Nice game, let's keep it running.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,281
    Let's call him by his correct name, gents – Alexander Skarsgård ;-)

He'll never be Bond though. As NTTD cast member (and fellow Swede to Skarsgård) David Dencik said in an interview this weekend, when (as a joke) asked if he was to play Bond when responding to the secrecy about his own role in the film: "With Bond they're very particular about ethnicity. He's a British intelligence operative. Then there's been rumours about it becoming a female and all that*, and that might happen, but as long as they're British. I can't pass for a Brit, I think."

*(said in a very "…and whatever" kind of way)
    Let's call him by his correct name, gents – Alexander Skarsgård ;-)

He'll never be Bond though. As NTTD cast member and fellow Swede) David Dencik said in an interview this weekend, when (as a joke) asked if he was to play Bond when responding to the secrecy about his own role in the film: "With Bond they're very particular about ethnicity. It's a British intelligence operative. Then there's been rumours about it becoming a female and all that*, and that might happen, but as long as they're British. I can't pass for a Brit, I think."

*(said in a very "…and whatever" kind of way)

Fixed ;)

And yes, I quite agree.

I like that theory.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

(Kidding)

Turner looks more like a villain. Don't think he has the right look for the times. They're gonna go for someone who can reach that millenial market.
    Getafix wrote: »

I like that theory.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

(Kidding)

Turner looks more like a villain. Don't think he has the right look for the times. They're gonna go for someone who can reach that millenial market.

God I hope not. The so called "millennial market" is a true snowflake, namby-pamby, wussy inhabited world. The "millennial market" and Bond should not mix, not one bit.

And Turner looks like a villain? Aren't you a Dalton fan, @Getafix? Cause I am, and Turner is sort of a sucessor in the looks department and intensity, I think. My opinion, of course.