NTTD: The Clapperboard thread

Comments

• RC7 wrote: »
    I’m not buying this. The inciting incident being 45 mins to an hour into the film? No way.

Absolutely.

Here is a hot take:
    Bond does indeed not appear until around 30-40 minutes into the story. Instead, much of the beginning of the film is the new "007" on a mission to save the scientist. Nomi recruits Bond after they attack him in Matera.

Essentially, much like TSWLM - Bond is a supporting character and Nomi is the lead.

Kinda like the dynamic between Rey and Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »
    I’m not buying this. The inciting incident being 45 mins to an hour into the film? No way.

Absolutely.

Here is a hot take:
    Bond does indeed not appear until around 30-40 minutes into the story. Instead, much of the beginning of the film is the new "007" on a mission to save the scientist. Nomi recruits Bond after they attack him in Matera.

Essentially, much like TSWLM - Bond is a supporting character and Nomi is the lead.

Not happening.
  • RC7RC7

Absolutely.

Here is a hot take:

Have you been enjoying a casual Sunday afternoon dooby?
    This obsession with the new 007 is...nauseating, IMO, @Pierce2Daniel. But hey, to each their own. I guess you're the only one who'd like a Nomi centered film, and you like being the only one, don't you?

Like someone said, not gonna happen, thankfully. This is a BOND film!

Absolutely.

Here is a hot take:

Have you been enjoying a casual Sunday afternoon dooby?

Very funny. Agree.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,160
    jake24 wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    @jake24
    Why would they be hiring cuban-looking extras, if not to portray Cuba?
    I have no clue, and again, that was never actually confirmed.
    The casting call from April said they were looking for cuban-looking extras for filming in Port Antonio. And there were cuban flags on the street.

I think scene 78 is Bond arriving there. Jamaica could be right before that. Scene 65-75 or something like that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @jake24
    Why would they be hiring cuban-looking extras, if not to portray Cuba?
    I have no clue, and again, that was never actually confirmed.
    The casting call from April said they were looking for cuban-looking extras for filming in Port Antonio. And there were cuban flags on the street.

I think scene 78 is Bond arriving there. Jamaica could be right before that. Scene 65-75 or something like that.
    I really don't think so mate, but we'll find out soon enough.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343
    matt_u wrote: »
    Since London is around 140/150 makes perfect sense to Cuba to fit in between Jamaica and London, before the Norway finale. With Matera (30/50) before Jamaica obviously.
    It's unusual, but I think there are genuine facts that shouldn't be ignored. I highly doubt they are screwing with us with those clapperboards. And we know Jamaica happens after Matera. I'm sure there's a whole bunch we don't know in terms of story, so it'll all make sense eventually.

There’s nothing I’ve seen that suggests Jamaica is after Matera.

There's logic.

I guess that depends on your sense of logic, though.

This is the official synopsis -

“Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology."

I’m just struggling, logically, to see how Bond’s ‘tranquil life’ is playing out around an hour into the film.

Perhaps Jamaica does indeed feature post-Matera, as well as Cuba, but I remain unconvinced that it doesn’t also feature earlier.

Well, logic is logic. Official synopsis doesn't prove anything. The SF synopsis didn't mentioned Bond getting "killed" etc etc, even tho happened in the PTS.

Point is, we left Bond in SP happily resigning from MI6 at the end of the last film, driving away in the DB5 with Swann. In NTTD we know Bond and Swann will enter Matera in the DB5. This picture taken today follows right after, since they have the same clothes. They are happy and in love. Bond here is just doing what Swann asked him to do in the train scene in SP. Trying life, with someone on his side.

received-352575585623187.jpg

Given SP ending and the NTTD synopsis, do you genuinely believe those scenes are set after Jamaica, where Bond is alone hiding from everything and Felix comes by kicking the main plot in? Okay.
    Point is, we left Bond in SP happily resigning from MI6 at the end of the last film, driving away in the DB5 with Swann. In NTTD we know Bond and Swann will enter Matera in the DB5. This picture taken today follows right after, since they have the same clothes.
    We don't know why they are there, but everything points to this being a direct continuation of SP ending with Swann either dead or presumed dead which triggers his retirement. If the Jamaica-scenes come before Matera, the scenes from Matera can only be in form of an extended flashback.
  • RC7RC7
    Since London is around 140/150 makes perfect sense to Cuba to fit in between Jamaica and London, before the Norway finale. With Matera (30/50) before Jamaica obviously.
    It's unusual, but I think there are genuine facts that shouldn't be ignored. I highly doubt they are screwing with us with those clapperboards. And we know Jamaica happens after Matera. I'm sure there's a whole bunch we don't know in terms of story, so it'll all make sense eventually.

There’s nothing I’ve seen that suggests Jamaica is after Matera.

There's logic.

I guess that depends on your sense of logic, though.

This is the official synopsis -

“Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology."

I’m just struggling, logically, to see how Bond’s ‘tranquil life’ is playing out around an hour into the film.

Perhaps Jamaica does indeed feature post-Matera, as well as Cuba, but I remain unconvinced that it doesn’t also feature earlier.

Well, logic is logic. Official synopsis doesn't prove anything. The SF synopsis didn't mentioned Bond getting "killed" etc etc, even tho happened in the PTS.

Point is, we left Bond in SP happily resigning from MI6 at the end of the last film, driving away in the DB5 with Swann. In NTTD we know Bond and Swann will enter Matera in the DB5. This picture taken today follows right after, since they have the same clothes. They are happy and in love. Bond here is just doing what Swann asked him to do in the train scene in SP. Trying life, with someone on his side.

received-352575585623187.jpg

Given SP ending and the NTTD synopsis, do you genuinely believe those scenes are set after Jamaica, where Bond is alone hiding from everything and Felix comes by kicking the main plot in? Okay.

I understand that. I was 100% certain this was the PTS, as that’s what I was told by someone many months ago. However, the clapperboards appear to place this later in the film and I’m now considering that it’s the first major action scene, which is where the confusion has arisen in people referring to it as the PTS.

A synopsis is not a detailed description of the film, but it does aim to give a vague steer. No, SF didn’t mention Bond ‘dying’, because that wasn’t pertinent, the overarching narrative was M’s past coming back to haunt her. The ‘inciting incident’ is the attack on MI6, which draws Bond back to London. That happens relatively early post-credits. Narratively I’d expect something similar in NTTD (or any film), but what I wouldn’t expect is Bond to be lured out of his tranquil life 60+ scenes into the film.

The synopsis also says that the mission is ‘far more treacherous than expected’, which infers Bond takes it lightly at first. Perhaps this is why Madeleine is with him (and is perhaps with him earlier). She comes with him, but then all hell breaks loose.

Anyway, it’s all up for debate but I’m really not sold on things ‘kicking off’ that late.
    Isn't it possible they're pulling our legs with the clapperboards?
  • RC7RC7
    Univex wrote: »

I think it’s unlikely, personally.

I think it’s unlikely, personally.

You're probably right.
    Clapperboard update:
    I can confirm the scene shot this evening with Bond and Swann arriving in Matera at their hotel is:

Scene 19

They filmed two different camera angles. Bond went round to open the door for her. They locked arms/held hands and in the later shots, in the background a group of extras walked past holding the candle type lights associated with the July 2nd religious festival in Matera.

Anyway, it’s all up for debate but I’m really not sold on things ‘kicking off’ that late.

Sure. Sounds a bit late also to me. But at the same time those Matera sequences with Bond and Swann happy and in love are clearly a direct continuation of SP. It's pretty much likely that Bond retired alone in Jamaica is a direct reaction of what happens in Matera. As you said before, Matera is like scenes 30-50 more or less, while scenes in Jamaica/Cuba are 78/81 and London 140/150. Between scenes, let's say, 55-140, there's plenty of time to feature Jamaica followed by Cuba. Then back to London when Bond gets the V8 etc etc.

OR there's always the possibility of Matera being all a big flashback of Bond he has while staying alone in Jamaica. Remembering Swann, how she died, setting an emotional impact for their encounter further in the film. Maybe remembering that experience makes him accept Felix request of help, for some reason. It doesn't fit with the typical Bond grammar but with Fukunaga at the helm it's still possible.
    slyfox wrote: »
    Clapperboard update:
    I can confirm the scene shot this evening with Bond and Swann arriving in Matera at their hotel is:

Scene 19

They filmed two different camera angles. Bond went round to open the door for her. They locked arms/held hands and in the later shots, in the background a group of extras walked past holding the candle type lights associated with the July 2nd religious festival in Matera.

Perfect. This pretty much confirms the pattern suggested before and puts all the discussion of Jamaica being before Matera to bed. Logically.

What if we are in for the longest ever PTS? Sound too much, too long, would be like a movie within a movie. But honestly the time jump between Matera and Jamaica would work far better with the titles inbetween, since we find Bond in a very different emotional situation.

Ah, thank u so much @slyfox.
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Perfect. This pretty much confirms the pattern suggested before and put all the discussion of Jamaica being before Matera to bed.

And probably confirms the time jump, right?
  • RC7RC7
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Perfect. This pretty much confirms the pattern suggested before and put all the discussion of Jamaica being before Matera to bed.

How do we square Matera featuring from scene 19 to 50+?
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

And probably confirms the time jump, right?

Yep sounds reasonable.
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Probably jumping from London scenes to Matera. Maybe those Porton Down scenes will fill part of that space.
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Matera will feature for a big portion of the film. Simple.
  • RC7RC7
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

And Bond’s tranquil Jamaican life comes after this?
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Indeed. I just checked Cary's Instagram too and the Cuba chase set piece is scene 110. So yeah looks like the structure of the major locations appears pretty nailed down:
    - PTS or immediate post titles: Norway lake with a possible young Madeleine (as actually called by Baz back in April, I just remembered. It was only Variety that claimed Matera was the pretitles. Though for all we know there could be a whole other pre titles before that and that flashback kicks off the Matera portion of the film).
    - Matera from 19 all the way to 50s
    - Jamaica roughly through 70
    - Cuba in the early 100s
    - London @ MI6 preparing for the possible Norway/Atlantic Road/Scotland shot finale.

Of course this still leaves a lot of Pinewood shot stuff we don't otherwise know about... eg the supposed Porton Down set that had the explosion
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2019 Posts: 1,165
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Perhaps the PTS will first establish something about Malek before showing us Bond and Madeleine in Matera. Someone in the big filming thread suggested the scene with the young girl in Norway could be a nightmare Madeleine is having to open the film, or we might see the fallout of what happened post Blofeld’s capture back in London or SPECTRE HQ.
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

I’ve been speculate this all day. Yes, and after a time jump, obviously.

Now the question is another one... are we really sure Matera isn’t really the PTS? What if we are in for the longest and biggest PTS ever? Given the “””fact””” that the Norway lake scene sounds like a memory from Swann’s past that set her connection with Malek, Bond and Swann in love in Matera is a direct continuation from SP wouldn’t make more sense if those events are part of a super big prologue? With the titles kicking in right after Bond presumes Swann is dead (maybe in the hotel room explosion they are goin to film?). Then we find Bond alone in Jamaica after 4/5 years. I believe Bond emotional state would be better handled with the title song intercutting those different moments of his life, given also the time jump.
    Two time jumps, first from Norway to Matera, and then Matera to Jamaica ? I find that hard to believe.

I think that the young girl is Swann's daughter and that it takes place right before the events in Matera. She's kidnapped and maybe held for ransom, because they want her mother to betray Bond?
    To have the opening titles after 30-40 minutes of film is quite crazy to be honest.

My feeling is this - we get a lower key and Pinewood shot PTS, akin to CR, followed by the titles, and then the Norway flashback kicks the Matera thing off right after.
    Two time jumps, first from Norway to Matera, and then Matera to Jamaica ? I find that hard to believe.

I think that the young girl is Swann's daughter and that it takes place right before the events in Matera. She's kidnapped and maybe held for ransom, because they want her mother to betray Bond?

The Norway lake piece will take 15 scenes. Instinct tells me that piece comes right from Swann memories and Matera will directly follow, making this the longest PTS ever. Then, that episode on the lake will be reprised throughout the film. My two cents.
    antovolk wrote: »
    To have the opening titles after 30-40 minutes of film is quite crazy to be honest.

My feeling is this - we get a lower key and Pinewood shot PTS, akin to CR, followed by the titles, and then the Norway flashback kicks the Matera thing off right after.

I know and it's probably not goin to happen. But I still like the idea of the song in-between those two different moments in Bond's life. Wouldn't be powerful to have the song kicking in right after Bond is mourning for the death of Swann? Quite powerful.
    We know that scene 15 is in Norway, not that it will last 15 scenes. It could be 4 scenes in total or 17.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 10,586
    Clapperboard update:

Scene 19

Something happened in Matera that drives Bond to move to Jamaica and live on his own for five years. If they take the first 30-40 mins setting this up, I don't mind at all. As long as it's interesting which it definitely seems to be.