Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

They’re already making another MI film, this is what I’m talking about Eon
    I like the Hayley Atwell casting too, but doesn't she seem a bit too similar to Rebecca Ferguson?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not familiar with her as an actress, so we'll see. Happy to see that the film's already in casting and pre-production, though.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Hayley Atwell is great. She'll make a fine addition to the MI cast.
  • It's going to annoy me that MI got Hayley Atwell before Bond did
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with her as an actress, so we'll see. Happy to see that the film's already in casting and pre-production, though.

Yes. And like most of the time, the producers of "Mission: Impossible" plan ahead much earlier, contract cast & crew much earlier in the pre-production process as opposed to the way too tight (pre-)production schedules of Bond films (and NTTD).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    It's going to annoy me that MI got Hayley Atwell before Bond did
    Don't think that's anything to be concerned with. Look what happened with Seydoux.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Don't think that's anything to be concerned with. Look what happened with Seydoux.

And look what happened with "SPECTRE" as opposed to "Mission: Impossible".
    Sorry but M:I has gotten one over on bond the last 4 years. I love Bond , but Fallout raised the bar. Eon saw Fallout and knew they couldn’t move forward with Boyle’s action lite film. I’m convinced of this. Apparently Boyle’s film was heavily British based and took place mostly in London from what I’ve read

I have no idea what this is in reference to.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    News: The always amazing Hayley Atwell joins the cast for M:I 7!

(There very probably goes my hope that she'd play a Bond Girl, but oh wel..)

Great casting, I am a fan of Hayley
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431

I have no idea what this is in reference to.

Well "SPECTRE" wasn't exactly a critically acclaimed success in comparison to "Rogue Nation" and "Fallout".

It's quite funny really. Between 2014 and 2022 there will have been four "M:I"-films and only two "007"-films (I'm pretty certain the Bond-franchise will be mothballed for another 4 years when Craig quits next April).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well if they're still making MI films in the late 2050's then I'll change my tune.
    I love the MI films. Since GP they've really set the bar higher and higher each time. And credit too them. I think Tom Cruise is amazing, for the work, effort and risk to his life that he commits to these films.
    But I don't compare them to Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Some call him insane, some call him crazy or looney; I call him, the MAN.
    talos7 wrote: »
    He's a total lunatic but I'll watch his films in a heartbeat.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tom Cruise is a God, I have always been into my fitness and done a few crazy things along the way, I have the utmost respect for Tom
    So someone who has a high tolerance for the extreme is a lunatic?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 13,095
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Is there some doubt on that count. For Eon making another Bond film.

Box Office Mojo says:
    Spectre
    Domestic: $200,074,609 22.7%
    + Foreign: $680,600,000 77.3%
    = Worldwide: $880,674,609
    Production Budget: $245 million
    Mission Impossible: Fallout
    Domestic: $220,159,104 27.8%
    + Foreign: $570,956,000 72.2%
    = Worldwide: $791,115,104
    Production Budget: $178 million

So what?

• edited September 2019 Posts: 12,837
    I just hope that they give the series a proper satisfying ending. They could carry on without him sure, but would the masses be bothered? I know it was a TV show first but MI has basically evolved into "come see this film to watch Tom Cruise do insane stunts". There's literally nothing special about the franchise besides that and the theme song imo, so once he's getting to a point where he can't do that anymore I'd like them to actually end it (until the inevitable reboot). I think him dying saving the world with a really mad death defying stunt would be perfect really. They did hint in the last one that he'd never be able to bring himself to retire while there were still bad guys to fight. Him eventually dying in action seems like the only way that could end.

MI is a mixed bag for me on the whole. First one was okay but even as a big John Woo fan the second was disappointing. The third one I really liked and the fourth one was even better, felt really fresh and exciting, but I was very disappointed in RN. The action was great but it just felt quite bland and souless imo. The others were all distinct, but RN to me just seemed like a big bloated attempt at creating another GP (like MR in comparison to TSWLM).

Fallout to be fair was a lot better. Didn't like how they kept teasing going dark then bottling it (that dream sequence where he's forced to massacre the police really annoyed me, why tease a proper moral dilemna like that then reveal he was just imagining it?), but other than that it was pretty good. Overall though I can't really say that I see what all the fuss is about. None of the films are a patch on Bond or even Bourne or Kingsman imo.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Benny wrote: »
    Well if they're still making MI films in the late 2050's then I'll change my tune.
    I love the MI films. Since GP they've really set the bar higher and higher each time. And credit too them. I think Tom Cruise is amazing, for the work, effort and risk to his life that he commits to these films.

It’s kind of rich too, given that M:I films used to take between 4 to 6 years between films for 20 years. The only reason we’re getting them three years apart now since FALLOUT is because Cruise knows he can’t keep doing this forever so he’s going to do however many he can before he’s 60. Paramount is desperate for hits as they’re not doing so well and this is their only reliable IP. And of course Cruise isn’t as big outside of I:M anymore given how many films have underperformed, with THE MUMMY being his biggest flop most recently.

But certain fans wanna complain that Bond isn’t doing as many films as they want, just like Trek fans complaining that the TV shows only do 13 episode seasons instead of 26. It’s the “I WANT MOAR” mentality.

Whatevs. Let Tom Cruise and EON work at their own pace. They’re not competing against each other. The classiest thing Tom Cruise did one time was when he was asked on the red carpet if he thinks Ethan Hunt can take down Bond, and Cruise avoided that bait and simply expressed his love for the Bond movies and Daniel Craig. CLASS ACT!

Nah, I was referring to the whole scientology thing.
    Nah, I was referring to the whole scientology thing.
    Well that’s a different story...

Is there some doubt on that count. For Eon making another Bond film.

Box Office Mojo says:
    Spectre
    Domestic: $200,074,609 22.7%
    + Foreign: $680,600,000 77.3%
    = Worldwide: $880,674,609
    Production Budget: $245 million
    Mission Impossible: Fallout
    Domestic: $220,159,104 27.8%
    + Foreign: $570,956,000 72.2%
    = Worldwide: $791,115,104
    Production Budget: $178 million

So what?

This is not the box office topic. I was talking about how they were perceived, quality-wise, by critics (fans, newspapers, movie websites). And subsequently, Bond films barely appear in cinemas these days, and most definitely in a slower pace than Ethan Hunt.
    Benny wrote: »

It’s kind of rich too, given that M:I films used to take between 4 to 6 years between films for 20 years. The only reason we’re getting them three years apart now since FALLOUT is because Cruise knows he can’t keep doing this forever so he’s going to do however many he can before he’s 60. Paramount is desperate for hits as they’re not doing so well and this is their only reliable IP. And of course Cruise isn’t as big outside of I:M anymore given how many films have underperformed, with THE MUMMY being his biggest flop most recently.

But certain fans wanna complain that Bond isn’t doing as many films as they want, just like Trek fans complaining that the TV shows only do 13 episode seasons instead of 26. It’s the “I WANT MOAR” mentality.

Whatevs. Let Tom Cruise and EON work at their own pace. They’re not competing against each other. The classiest thing Tom Cruise did one time was when he was asked on the red carpet if he thinks Ethan Hunt can take down Bond, and Cruise avoided that bait and simply expressed his love for the Bond movies and Daniel Craig. CLASS ACT!

The very fact such a video exist, media are asking such questions to Cruise, and that we (you) eventually repost it, shows how impossible it is not to compare Bond with Hunt.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That’s the media for you. And I’m just pointing out the strange disconnect being displayed by fans who complain about things in Craig’s films, who then point to the M:I films as examples of what Bond films should be doing, despite that those films have been playing with the very same tropes that Bond fans claim to dislike.

“Oh no! He’s gone rogue! Another government mole! How incompetent is this spy organization? It’s gotten personal! Can’t it just strictly be about the mission?”
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Hayley atwell will be terrific addition to the series and as for bond vs Mi. James bond is in complete different league imo. Don't get me wrong I enjoy mi series and tom cruise stunts but I find quality of bond films far superior than mi, I literally laughed at critics when rotten tomatoes gave Fallout 98% so I don't trust reviews these days most of them seems high . As for critical success SP song won an Oscar as far as I knew.
  • Saw FALLOUT for the first time a couple of weeks ago... Better than the previous one, but still a naff story... and while I give full kudos to Cruise (an actor I don't much like) for his willingness to do stunts, the franchise is veering dangerously into ever-more ludicrous FAST & FURIOUS territory. (eye-roll)

I rate it 6/10.

Still, I'll catch the next installment when it shows up on cable -- but only for Hayley Atwill.
  • Never been a big fan of Atwell......always found she was a little flat and unmemorable in her films. I'm rather disappointed that she'll be in the new MI.

Firstly, she's a little too similar to Rebecca Ferguson. Secondly, she's a tad boring. She's just been playing bit parts in Disney movies for years. Basically, she's built a career cameoing as Captain America's underdeveloped love interest.

I recently saw Atwell in 'Christopher Robin' and she faded dramatically into the scenery. Her days turning in performances such as in 'Black Mirror' seem long behind her.

I hope McQ has the smarts to make her the central villain.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Tom Cruise is currently training for the next Mission Impossible in France. He has been sighted doing speed flying (an advanced discipline of paragliding that uses a small, high-performance paraglider wing to quickly descend heights such as mountains), doing an average 15 jumps per day for the past week.

I’ve just looked that up: my goodness it looks dangerous! :D
    Sorry but M:I has gotten one over on bond the last 4 years. I love Bond , but Fallout raised the bar. Eon saw Fallout and knew they couldn’t move forward with Boyle’s action lite film. I’m convinced of this. Apparently Boyle’s film was heavily British based and took place mostly in London from what I’ve read

It´s amazing that even so long after the film was released, this pre-release assumption that Fallout raises the bar action-wise still holds up in some people´s heads.
    I´m not even sure if Fallout even has more action than the previous films. For sure it has more scenes that rather drag. The action setpieces in M:I 4 and 5 still stand out as more original and spectacular. And better filmed. The bike chase sequence in Paris in Fallout loses a lot of impact by the way it´s filmed and edited.