Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I guess we'll have to see what their definition of "aircraft" ends up being. I wonder if it won't be something heavily akin to a jet, with all the respective elements removed so it's not violating any sort of US military law. Sounds interesting either way, though! Ashamed to say I've never seen the original, I'll have to change that before Maverick drops.

They could very well build Cruise a replica or a full-scale model, ala James Cameron's approach with the Harrier jet in True Lies.

Either way, that must be one hell of a conversation for an actor to have with a Production Company....

"Do you think they'd let me fly one of those things? For the art?"

;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm waiting for the inevitable discussion with NASA when Cruise asks to pilot a rocket into space for a film, only to dive out last second and parachute back to Earth.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    If they make M:I 7 and 8 for release in ´21 and ´22, and Top Gun Maverick is released in ´20, then when is Tom going to learn fly a fighter Jet? I thought TG was pushed back so he can do that?

I really doubt that he will be flying a fighter jet. I think those reports were quashed not long after they surfaced.

He might be Tom Cruise, and he might be a qualified private pilot, but he's still just a civilian and the jet is extremely expensive Government property at $70million upwards per plane. It's more likely that the delay to TG2 was to accommadate the inclusion of some of the Navy's new hardware so it would get some media exposure.

But, in this case, I would be delighted if I was wrong as the thoughts of Cruise flying a F-18 is pretty awesome.
    To be honest, I find the idea of Tom flying a fighter jet himself even more stupid than insisting on doing any other stunt he does. The original TG has plenty of cockpit shots, and it's a fact that those pilots wear masks. Actors flying themselves would be the most redundant thing feasible.

edited May 2019 Posts: 8,009
    If they make M:I 7 and 8 for release in ´21 and ´22, and Top Gun Maverick is released in ´20, then when is Tom going to learn fly a fighter Jet? I thought TG was pushed back so he can do that?

I really doubt that he will be flying a fighter jet. I think those reports were quashed not long after they surfaced.

He might be Tom Cruise, and he might be a qualified private pilot, but he's still just a civilian and the jet is extremely expensive Government property at $70million upwards per plane. It's more likely that the delay to TG2 was to accommadate the inclusion of some of the Navy's new hardware so it would get some media exposure.

But, in this case, I would be delighted if I was wrong as the thoughts of Cruise flying a F-18 is pretty awesome.
    To be honest, I find the idea of Tom flying a fighter jet himself even more stupid than insisting on doing any other stunt he does. The original TG has plenty of cockpit shots, and it's a fact that those pilots wear masks. Actors flying themselves would be the most redundant thing feasible.

This is a good point, too. Though I don't think him previously insisting on doing stunts himself is stupid at all. A small number of people consider it egotistical, and I don't buy that. The stunts themselves are improved greatly by the work Cruise puts into them and I don't agree that it would have had the same effect had they just used a stuntman.

In the case of TG2 though, I agree that it's impractical to the point of pointlessness. It's also a very different and more complicated scenario even though it's 'just flying a jet'. I think he and the filmmakers would know that, hence why I am confident that there was no delay in filming to accommadate Tom learning to fly a $70million piece of Government hardware as an exception to a law.
    In response to the original question, I've never watched a John Wick film, so there's no question I'd rather watch MI, especially considering I look forward to MI films as much as if not more than Bond these days, although I didn't rate Fallout that high.

I do look forward to TG2. I still remember how big that film was when it came out and how my friends reacted to it. I don't know we need a TG sequel but there's worse out there.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think Tom doing his own physical acting and stunts adds immensely to the authenticity of a sequence.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think Tom doing his own physical acting and stunts adds immensely to the authenticity of a sequence.

+1
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Justin Bieber has challenged Tom Cruise to a fight and we are so confused...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/10/entertainment/justin-bieber-tom-cruise-fight/index.html

This is the dumbest thing I have heard in some time :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2019 Posts: 15,686

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/10/entertainment/justin-bieber-tom-cruise-fight/index.html

Funnily enough, only Tom Cruise was trending on Twitter due to this 'news'. Cruise with the first jab already. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,102
    Bieber clearly thinks he can be the Top Gun, though I dont thnk Bieber will handle The Firm punches of Tom, Tom has All The Right Moves, very Risky Business for Bieber. Bieber will be knocked into Oblivion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Bieber clearly thinks he can be the Top Gun, though I dont thnk Bieber will handle The Firm punches of Tom, Tom has All The Right Moves, very Risky Business for Bieber. Bieber will be knocked into Oblivion.

Beating Tom Cruise without any Collateral damage is basically Mission Impossible for Bieber. Cruise can easily win, even by fighting with his Eyes Wide Shut while holding a Cocktail.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Beating Tom Cruise without any Collateral damage is basically Mission Impossible for Bieber. Cruise can easily win, even by fighting with his Eyes Wide Shut while holding a Cocktail.

What a Legend.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I'd pay to see this fight.
    Tom's reaction to the challenge...

giphy.gif

What a Legend.

Agreed. Music is one thing, but this is extremely Risky Business for Bieber.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And just like that Bieber's name is on every entertainment, and many news outlets.
    I was just rewatching the phenomenal first trailer for Mission Impossible: Fallout, and I never realized until now that Tom Cruise only has 2 lines of dialogue in it. ''You need to walk away.'' and ''Maybe we need to reconsider that.''
    Tom Cruise is currently at the San Diego Comic Con to start the promotion of Top Gun 2, so this means we should soon get some news/updates on Mission: Impossible 7 as he'll begin to focus on his next project.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,861
    Tom Cruise is currently at the San Diego Comic Con to start the promotion of Top Gun 2, so this means we should soon get some news/updates on Mission: Impossible 7 as he'll begin to focus on his next project.

Can't wait! It should be brilliant.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Who can? Although it´s easy to say such a Thing. The result should be more important than how they got there, unless they make a Thriller of a behind-the-scenes documentary.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I love the MI films, but I'd really like to see one where Ethan doesn't have to steal something/someone which is incredibly dangerous to be out in the open but he needs to it to trade for something even more dangerous. Because that's the plot to every single one so far! :D
    edited August 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Not really Mission Impossible related, but this is the main Tom Cruise thread on MI6 Community, so I guess it's a bit appropriate:

I only just found out that Cruise met one of the child actors of The Last Samurai, whom he had not seen since 2003, at the Japanese premiere of Jack Reacher 2, as both films were directed by Edward Zwick.

the-last-samurai-0863.jpg

Jack-Reacher-Never-Go-Back-Press-Conference-N3-FU-e2-Rf-3x.jpg

edited September 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Tom Cruise is currently training for the next Mission Impossible in France. He has been sighted doing speed flying (an advanced discipline of paragliding that uses a small, high-performance paraglider wing to quickly descend heights such as mountains), doing an average 15 jumps per day for the past week.
    He must feel very depressed once that adrenaline bombardement ceases ;-).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This franchise IS Tom Cruise. The guy is a legend, but once he won't be able to do this crazy stuff anymore, M:I will be dead and buried.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    The M:I movies are probably my second favourite spy movie franchise after James Bond. I adore these films.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    News: The always amazing Hayley Atwell joins the cast for M:I 7!

(There very probably goes my hope that she'd play a Bond Girl, but oh wel..)
  • That's perfect casting.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited September 2019 Posts: 7,999
    matt_u wrote: »
    This franchise IS Tom Cruise. The guy is a legend, but once he won't be able to do this crazy stuff anymore, M:I will be dead and buried.

It could probably find another life on CBS All Access. Like Star Trek, TV is where M:I all started. I’d like to see a stronger emphasis on teamwork and intricate missions. Think of it as a back to basics. But instead of a mission taking place in one episode, expand it to multi-episode arcs. And just to make it fun, have Tom Cruise be the recorded voice on the first episode laying out the mission as a way of passing the torch.