The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2019 Posts: 17,816
    vzok wrote: »
    You think we’re going to make it to 2020. That’s something.

I very much doubt that he has 20:20 vision, any more than any other observer. He is a false prophet of doom. You'll find hysteria such as that exhibited above is most often very wide of the mark and therefore nothing more than useless and ungrounded speculation. In fact, it only takes us so far astray from the actual outcome of an orderly Brexit accompanied by a deal.

For a recent case in point see the odious former Chancellor George Osborne's threatened emergency austerity budget if voters dared to vote Leave in June 2016 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36534192). At the time the Vote Leave campaign criticised the Remain side's "hysterical prophecies of doom" and 65 Conservative MPs said that his position would be "untenable" if he tried to cut NHS, police and school spending. It never came to pass of course and in actual fact Osborne was out on his ear very soon afterwards.

Of course, like a bad penny, Osborne soon turned up again as editor of the Evening Standard. From there he bitterly sniped from the sidelines at Theresa May and the Brexit process. He also allowed the publication of some racist/sectarian cartoons in his his newspaper against Unionist politicians, the Orange Order and the unionist people of Northern Ireland when the DUP signed a confidence and supply agreement with May's Conservatives in June 2017. He allowed the depiction of the DUP going to Number 10 dressed in Orange sashes and bowler hats etc. Yet another false prophet of doom and an utter creep to boot.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Right. So people getting only ONE chance to vote, even though their information given was wrong, plenty of lies. Too bad, so sad, cannot have a 2nd vote. Get over that thinking. It's wrong. Truly wrong in this case.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    And today, the British government has lost its majority. So, what comes next?

I know, let's put this blundering clown in charge.

602x338_cmsv2_0513f2ea-f2f5-5fa9-a0b9-6cfcf6b06da1-3918232.jpg
    Well? I guess it is a General Election next month then?!!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2019 Posts: 13,894
    This whole thing has become a mess.
  • This whole thing has become a mess.

It BEGAN a mess. Why should it change at this late date?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Nice to see Jacob Rees-Mogg get schooled multiple times. "He is the embodiment of what a stupid person thinks intelligence looks like".
    Labour MPs and lots of Tories will really regret some of the decisions they have made in the past few years when Nigel Farage becomes the PM and delivers the hardest Brexit possible. Remainers should have voted for May's deal when they had the chance...
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Yes, exactly what Boris Johnson didn’t do!
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    I feel sorry for what the United Kingdom has become. You're always welcome on mainland Europe.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Be you remain or leave, this picture sums up the Brexit debacle:

18039906-7424489-image-a-121_1567559940701.jpg

=))

It's so boring and never-ending even ardent leaver Jacob Rees-Mogg can't bear it anymore.
    I watched the vote live last night about 11pm GMT and it was a bit of a mess.

However,this morning,Corbyn has stated that he WONT insist on a General Election,even after what happened yesterday.

So basically he bottled it,which is why he would be a shit PM.
    Brosis has just said that he'll take the country forward rather than backwards when Britain leaves the EU on October 31st. Hillarious.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

However,this morning,Corbyn has stated that he WONT insist on a General Election,even after what happened yesterday.

Unfortunately if he wants no deal 'off the table' it's best for him to block the PM's attempt to get a general election. Does make him look like a muppet though after vehemently arguing for one.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Brosis has just said that he'll take the country forward rather than backwards when Britain leaves the EU on October 31st. Hillarious.

Sooner we're out the better.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 8,700
    DarthDimi wrote: »

One of the few issues on which there is agreement between the Leavers and a very sizable percentage of the EU 27's population. At least by now.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, keep blaming Corbyn while the conservatives are driving your country down the toilet. Makes sense...
    jobo wrote: »

Yes, keep blaming Corbyn while the conservatives are driving your country down the toilet. Makes sense...

Thanks,i will.
    I always make sense,thanks for the compliment.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,564

Thanks,i will.

I don't think it was intended as a compliment. Take it however you like, but if you really want us to believe that you "always make sense," I'd recommend shelving your irrational problem with Kara Milovy. Be that as it may, I do have one prediction: "In the future, there will be no snark."

Thanks,i will.

I don't think it was intended as a compliment. Take it however you like, but if you really want us to believe that you "always make sense," I'd recommend shelving your irrational problem with Kara Milovy. Be that as it may, I do have one prediction: "In the future, there will be no snark."

a) I know it wasn't a compliment.
    b) I was being flippant.
    c) what your problem,apart from the obvious ?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Out of interest, how will it be better?
    I'm sure, gentlemen, that we can have this debate without the personal attacks. Thank you.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431

Thanks,i will.

Really guys. The above quoted shows how Brexit only has intensified divisions. From the get-go of the referendum results, which basically were a 50/50 result, give or take a few percentage points. But no Prime Minister ever thought, not Cameron, not May, and certainly not Johnson, that compromise in the end is the thing that's necessary to execute a proper Brexit.

It all went wrong during the referendum campaign. It was based on lies and dangerous simplifications of an extremely complex process (Thank you David 'Chamberlain 2.0' Cameron). The very word 'Brexit', which implies so much simplicity, only made things worse. There had to be three or four options on the referendum, forcing/assisting the people to make up their minds, and not just their emotions. Something like this:

A) LEAVE THE EU, with an extensive deal that foresees the execution of complex separation matters (slowly reinstating full border Northern-Ireland-Ireland, payment of debts to EU, new trade deals options with EU)
    B) LEAVE THE EU, with no deal (reinstating full border Northern-Ireland instantly, international court rulings of debts to EU, no foreseeable trade negotiations with EU)
    C) STAY IN THE EU, but only with extensive new Thatcher-like negotiations about current deals between the UK and the EU (Agricultural deals, judiciary deals, fishing deals)
    D) STAY IN THE EU, with full status quo (no changes, everything stays the same)

One of your previous PM's, Cameron, should have led your country in such a more detailed referendum. Instead he played bluff poker with all those poor UK souls. He didn't lead, he oversimplified Brexit, and he executed on top of that a dreadful Remain campaign. While at the same time UKIP initiated a Brexit campaign full of lies. Cameron should never have said 'yes' to such a simplified 'Yes/No'-referendum.

Here in sadly lies the groundwork of the current mess the UK is in right now. Add to that the flaws of the current two-party/plurality system/1-party-governments in the UK (perhaps as opposed to multi-party/proportional representation/coaltion-governments were parties more or less are forced to work together), and you have a wonderful recipe of chaos. Boris Johnson, a guy who's art of the deal is 'car-crashing', and not cooperation, only preys on these situations (if one reads his biography he was always like that in Brussels: stirring up unrest with lies and cheatful arguments).

So where do I stand now? To be honest, initially I would have liked the UK to stay in the EU. But I'm well past that point. Whatever you do up there on that island: do it fast please. Leave (for entirely different reasons as opposed to brexiteers)!! I don't care anymore how. I can keep explaining on how it should have been done, but with the 'Italian-esque' politics of emotional fearmongering and 'kidnapping' that currently is taking place in the UK......do whatever you want to do.

On a positive note: If there will be new elections, the LibDems might very well become the biggest party in the UK. Then again, Brexit might be stalled entirely. And for me, as a progressive-minded, pro-EU person...….I want the British out :-).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1538490494505.jpg
    "I am inviiincible!"
    1538490494505.jpg
    "I am inviiincible!"

I think if he will be tied to a chair, me shaving him completely bald, he would have his mouth open like that too, but then with lots of kid-like tears. Poor numbhead. What a disaster PM.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

Thanks,i will.

a) I know it wasn't a compliment.
    b) I was being flippant.
    c) what your problem,apart from the obvious ?

My OBJECTION (to Brexit, if I may be specific) is that it was never debated honestly, and now BoJo the clown shows every indication of continuing that dishonesty in the way he intends to gain his victory on this topic. I'm glad to see members of his own party standing against him in a principled fashion and I wish their American counterparts (lookin' at you, Moscow Mitch!) could match their dedication to the democratic standard.

That stated: flippancy is akin to snark. A corollary to the first prediction: "In the future there will be no room for dishonesty of any sort."
    1538490494505.jpg
    "I am inviiincible!"

Boys with toys?
    vzok wrote: »
    1538490494505.jpg
    "I am inviiincible!"

Boys with toys?

Politics shouldn't be about toys. If Johnson perceives it like that, he's playing with future lives of millions of Brits. Stupid bastard.

Thanks,i will.

That made me laugh. Thank you!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2019 Posts: 13,894
    This whole thing has become a mess.

It BEGAN a mess. Why should it change at this late date?

Began? No, not at all.
This discussion has been closed.