The name's 25. Bond 25, or rather, it's NTTD.

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,985
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I think Skyfall is an awesome title, especially for being non-Fleming.

Skyfall is a good title and it actually means something in relation to the film.

And until EON announce the title NTTD is a homage to a previous production, then it's just all conjecture.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Maybe Bond and Madeleine will stop at the No Time to Die Café.

Or at least a Death Café.

https://deathcafe.com

Maybe Bond and Madeleine will stop at the No Time to Die Café.

Or at least a Death Café.

https://deathcafe.com

What a mad concept that is !!
    Weird.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I think Skyfall is an awesome title, especially for being non-Fleming.

Skyfall is a good title and it actually means something in relation to the film.

And until EON announce the title NTTD is a homage to a previous production, then it's just all conjecture.

I mean, it’s hardly conjecture. Barbara Broccoli very deliberately chose NTTD.

NTTD was the title of a 1958 film produced by her father – the same man who will have his name on 2020’s NTTD (in fact, his will be the first name on the credits). Plus, the 1958 film has numerous soon-to-be Bond crewmembers involved.

It’s clearly a very deliberate nod. Otherwise, we are looking at the mother of all coincidences. Which I highly doubt…..

I think they were struggling with the title – perhaps, Broccoli always had NTTD in the back of her mind.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Come on.

The connection is just so obvious we don't need an official confirmation.

Love the title BTW. I just love the vintage vibe it gives to me, just like the font. NTTD screams of the Golden Age of movies. It's elegant and cool.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 2,887

I'm not so sure. NTTD is such a generic title--it's been used by two films and a Columbo episode--that I'm not entirely sure this wasn't a coincidence. And if it wasn't, it's still shameful: EON couldn't come up with a decent title, so it nicked one from a forgotten film that frankly wasn't in need (or deserving) of a tribute. Just because a film involved Broccoli, Maibaum and Young doesn't mean it needs honoring by title-borrowing. If so, Bond 26 will probably be called Zarak.
    Revelator wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

I'm not so sure. NTTD is such a generic title--it's been used by two films and a Columbo episode--that I'm not entirely sure this wasn't a coincidence. And if it wasn't, it's still shameful: EON couldn't come up with a decent title, so it nicked one from a forgotten film that frankly wasn't in need of a tribute. Just because a film involved Broccoli, Maibaum and Young doesn't mean it needs honoring by title-borrowing. If so, Bond 26 will probably be called Zarak.

Pretty sure I didn’t write that quote
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I tend to agree. Barbara Broccoli seems intimately aware of her father's body of work.

As to SKYFALL. I think it is an okay title, if generic.

Really? Strikes me as the sort of title that, if it were Fleming, would be lauded.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I guess that I missed it, but I didn't know until a few minutes ago that the previous film entitled NO TIME TO DIE! (1958) was produced, written and directed by the team of Broccoli, Maibaum and Young (not to forget cinematographer Ted Moore; the man responsible for the look of seven Bond films). Obviously, that doesn't help improve the tired nature of the choice, but, if this was an intentional homage to the early men behind Bond, I have a lot more respect for the decision and will do my damnedest to learn to love it!

It just makes me feel a lot better that there is at least the possibility that EON put some actual thought into this, that it had some heartfelt connection to the past, rather than the (realistically, more likely) idea that they just strung together several "Bondian" words in the order that seemed to make the least amount of nonsense.

Absolutely. This is the chief redeeming feature – it’s kinda cool throwback to that era of Hollywood filmmaking to pinch a title that was used by Warwick Films.

But has it dawned on anyone that out of the 4 original Bond film titles - that don’t have any ties or links to Fleming – that 3 use the word ‘Die’……that includes TND, DAD and NTTD. The only original title, with no Fleming links, is SF.

Eon have a crutch which is “if ever in doubt, use the word ‘die’ in the title”. It’s beyond lazy and reeks of insecurity.

Also, TND, DAD and NTTD all basically mean the same thing. Which is beyond frustrating.
    Well, Skyfall is a very good example that originality is not the same as good quality. Octopussy was a silly title alright, but it was fun with an exclamation mark. Skyfall is kind of OPs depressed brother.

I´m repeating myself, but I don´t agree at all that TND, DAD and NTTD have similar connotations.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Is Skyfall really that much different (or worse) than Goldfinger or Thunderball? I agree with @RC7 on this one.
    Minion wrote: »
    Is Skyfall really that much different (or worse) than Goldfinger or Thunderball? I agree with @RC7 on this one.

Exactly. I’m immediately reminded of those couple titles when I think of SF too. It fits right in with the series. There are better and weaker titles, but personally I like all of them to an extent. NTTD immediately clicked for me and was even better when I learned about the Terence Young and Cubby Broccoli history!
    vzok wrote: »
    Pretty sure I didn’t write that quote

My apologies, it was one of those multi-quote quotes and I scrambled who was saying what. Error fixed.

Skyfall is not a bad title (at the time it reminded of Skyrim), but certainly isn't as good as Goldfinger or Thunderball, because those titles consist of extremely unusual word pairings that create new concepts, whereas Skyfall is just a one-word condensation of an old concept, the sky falling.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,985
    matt_u wrote: »

Come on.

Love the title BTW. I just love the vintage vibe it gives to me, just like the font. NTTD screams of the Golden Age of movies. It's elegant and cool.

I'm sure you're right, but i thought BB may have mentioned the connection when they announced the title....to you know, show that it wasn't just plucked out of thin air. And if the title is a little homage to Cubby then why the delay in announcing it? But hey ho, what do i know....
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 5,767
    It´s certainly different in that Skyfall as a word has no immediate logical meaning, while GF and TB have.
    And neither GF nor TB have such a gloomy connotation. Wether that makes SF worse or not is probably up to personal taste.

matt_u wrote: »

Come on.

I'm sure you're right, but i thought BB may have mentioned the connection when they announced the title....to you know, show that it wasn't just plucked out of thin air. And if the title is a little homage to Cubby then why the delay in announcing it? But hey ho, what do i know....
    As you can clearly see, Eon are no dumbs when it comes to letting the fans do the viral marketing for them ;-). How long took it for that info to be spread? I think it was a few hours.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 1,165
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It´s certainly different in that Skyfall as a word has no immediate logical meaning, while GF and TB have.
    And neither GF nor TB have such a gloomy connotation. Wether that makes SF worse or not is probably up to personal taste.
    Skyfall.

The sky is falling.

How many people had to ask what a “Thunderball” was? Not even Tom Jones knew what he was singing about! Sorry, I’ve got to chalk this one up towards Fleming bias.
    Skyfall is a good title. Shame about the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I can’t see your logic there: it has just as much meaning. And I’d say all Bond titles generally have ‘gloomy’ connotations: or is Live and Let Die supposed to be positive? :) Coming in like a Thunderball isn’t exactly a positive thing.
    I like all the Bond titles,they are all catchy in their own way.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 5,767
    mtm wrote: »

I can’t see your logic there: it has just as much meaning. And I’d say all Bond titles generally have ‘gloomy’ connotations: or is Live and Let Die supposed to be positive? :) Coming in like a Thunderball isn’t exactly a positive thing.
    Oh yes it is, Live and let Die and Thunderball are both badass. Skyfall is depressed. Don´t you see the logic :-)?

Seriously, LALD and TB are rather extrovertet titles, which have to do with how badass the protagonist is. SF connotates more introvertet themes than extroverted ones. Bond doesn´t strike like the falling sky, or as if the sky were falling, but rather, the sky is falling. That´s pretty gloomy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Reusing the title GOLDENEYE was much lamer. It had only been six years.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 2,887
    How many people had to ask what a “Thunderball” was? Not even Tom Jones knew what he was singing about! Sorry, I’ve got to chalk this one up towards Fleming bias.

A Thunderball is a ball of thunder. Next question please.

Revelator wrote: »

A Thunderball is a ball of thunder. Next question please.
    And Skyfall is the sky falling. Thanks for proving my point. :)
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Getafix wrote: »
    Skyfall is a good title. Shame about the film.
    Haha. Agreed.
    And Skyfall is the sky falling. Thanks for proving my point.

And my point was that Thunderball is an unexpected word combination and concept, whereas Skyfall is the condensation of a familiar phrase. My point still stands.

• RC7RC7
    ‘Thunderball’ is an old military term for an atomic mushroom cloud, that’s where Fleming got the title from. He didn’t invent it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,921
    Skyfall.

The sky is falling.

If you have to ask... ;)

Bond 25 should be have been Silverd**g.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    RC7 wrote: »
    ‘Thunderball’ is an old military term for an atomic mushroom cloud, that’s where Fleming got the title from. He didn’t invent it.
    Never knew this. The title has just gone up in my ratings.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2019 Posts: 2,541
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Never knew this. The title has just gone up in my ratings.

+1 same, thanks for that @RC7
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,416
    There are to bissy with surviving or with there love = No Time To Die
    So much action = No Time To Die
    Wrong Adreline / Wrong blood = Wrong reasens = No Time To Die
    No Risico = No Time To Die

=

No Time to live = No Time To Die