The name's 25. Bond 25, or rather, it's NTTD.

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Revelator wrote: »
    Interesting to note that IMDB have renamed the 'No Time to Die' (1958) to 'Tank Force' on their website...Is this Eon's attempt to rewrite history - or a decision from IMDB?

No Time to Die was released as Tank Squad in the United States. Since the IMDB is an American website it's gone with the American release title.
    Personally, the chief reason the title has won me over slightly is the connection to this movie.

I think it sets a bad precedent. I would prefer Bond titles not to be sloppy seconds, especially since No Time to Die has already been used as the title of two movies and a Columbo episode--that shows how generic it is. And if they're going to start naming Bond films after non-Bondian Broccoli/Young/Maibaum productions, will Bond 26 be called Zarak?

I’d watch it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So the BOND 25/No Time To Die title discussion should end here over 7 months before the release of the film proper. That's odd to me.

It won't.

So ... I don't mind the thread staying open, but I'm surprised. As Bond 25? What else is there to say? The title is chosen. Why would people keep talking about it? I mean, what can people discuss about it? Other than like it, hate it, I guess. Carry on, but I just don't get it. The thread seems made for the next film, any film we don't have a title to yet.

Because this title was just announced and we've not even seen a trailer for the film yet - there's no conversation to be had regarding a title for Bond26 that'll be anything but spammy and full of the exact same discussion that's been had here for the last 50-75 pages. It'll be tweaked eventually, but not for a while.

I Am hoping for The Property of a Die for Bond 26 lol

Or Risicdie
    Or maybe The Hildebrand Die

Lmao

Honestly any Fleming title is fine
    They've used all his good ones imo. It was bad enough that we got QoS (and that they bottled it by naming the organisation Quantum, muddying the meaning of it).

There are still plenty of good chapter titles left, though agree about Quantum. I don't mind if they decide to use a good original title instead, but that's not what we got.
    Will we ever get out of the hatred for Quantum of solace I mean why not bring up Octopussy while we are at it

Also so the title has a vague connection to my favorite unused title and a short story I feel could be the basis for a great bond film The Hildebrand Rarity

Cool
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    As for now that’s my ranking for the Craig era titles.

CR
    SP
    SF
    NTTD
    QOS

But I’ll wait for the movie to come out for a more definitive poll.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I am a big fan of the title QUANTUM OF SOLACE. I find it to be cool as all Hell, always have.

Thank you I feel like I am the only one
    My order:

CR
    QOS

SP

SF

NTTD

That would be my list too. And i agree about QOS, great title for a great Bond movie!
    To be honest in 2007 (when I started getting into Fleming) Quantum of solace was my favorite unused title and boy was I shocked and thrilled that we got it in 2008 (sure I would of like a few loose attachments to the story like maybe change Dominic Greene to Phillip Masters...)

I still hope Craig will come back for one last bond film titled The Hildebrand Rarity but that is more a wish then anything else
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 615
    I have no problem with QOS as a title (it’s Fleming after all), but I think they dropped the ball just a bit by not incorporating it into the dialog — even if only in an oblique manner.

The perfect place for that in the film would’ve been during the airline flight to Bolivia that Bond shares with Mathis. Just a line from Mathis about Bond somehow finding a “small measure of solace” in what he’s trying to do (in the wake of Vesper’s death)...
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am a big fan of the title QUANTUM OF SOLACE. I find it to be cool as all Hell, always have.

I agree with you both,that makes 3 of us !
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 4,400
    NTTD is fine. But it's generic and feels like a hangover from the Brosnan era. It's undeniable that they struggled with a title for this film, therefore Eon relied on their crutch which are 'die' or 'kill' titles.

Is it unimaginable? Yes. However, the vast majority of casual fans and Bond fans alike, love the title because it feels inherently 'Bond'. There are a large majority who will roll their eyes though.

My big concern is that the title won't be remembered, people will be scratching their heads in years to come trying to piece together the title. Even I'm struggling to remember it. I keep saying 'A Time to Die' or 'A Reason to Die', 'A Way to Die'.

I just can't keep it in my head.

Also, the logo is not selling it to me at all. It's the same 'M' used in the Motown musical in Covent Garden:

qqqqqqqqqq.jpg

Also, from a distance it looks fine but from a distance it looks like a jumble of shapes. sorta reminiscent of this:

1200px-2012_Summer_Olympics_logo.svg.png

This is probably just sour grapes as the title isn't 'Once Upon A Spy'.

No Time to Die was released as Tank Squad in the United States. Since the IMDB is an American website it's gone with the American release title.
    Personally, the chief reason the title has won me over slightly is the connection to this movie.

I think it sets a bad precedent. I would prefer Bond titles not to be sloppy seconds, especially since No Time to Die has already been used as the title of two movies and a Columbo episode--that shows how generic it is. And if they're going to start naming Bond films after non-Bondian Broccoli/Young/Maibaum productions, will Bond 26 be called Zarak?

This I disagree with.

I think it's a great throwback to their father and his legacy. I can almost forgive a lazy and derivative title based on this. It's a cool, little grace-note for film fans to know the history of the title. However, it is't ostentatious or 'showy'.

It kinda reminds me of how Tarantino takes titles from those golden years of Hollywood and remoulds them.

ME TOO!! :)

;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Risico007 wrote: »

There's at least three of us. QoS is actually one of my favourite titles in the series. I love that it's so unique and specific (while titles such as SPECTRE, Licence to Kill or Live and Let Die could be the title of every Bond movie) yet it's not too on the nose.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    They've used all his good ones imo. It was bad enough that we got QoS (and that they bottled it by naming the organisation Quantum, muddying the meaning of it).

There are still plenty of good chapter titles left, though agree about Quantum. I don't mind if they decide to use a good original title instead, but that's not what we got.

If the chapter titles were so great, they'd be book titles. I do think Risico and The Property of a Lady, of the ones remaining, are the most usable, but maybe they haven't used them because they don't fit the story.

Let's face it: they used Quantum of Solace, so we could see any of these titles, including The Hildebrand Rarity, someday.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    My order:

CR
    QOS

SP

SF

NTTD
    QoS
    SF
    NTTD
    CR
    SP
    Hmmm I would go with :

CR
    QOS
    NTTD
    SF
    SP
    I just saw #notimetodie written out for the first time, and the first thing I saw was metoo (well almost).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Oh snap me too, @vzok.

Well you know what I mean.
  • RC7RC7
    Quantum of Solace was ruined by the hackneyed introduction of ‘Quantum’ as the villains. It works perfectly fine on a thematic level.
    This I disagree with. I think it's a great throwback to their father and his legacy. I can almost forgive a lazy and derivative title based on this.

I don't see the point. Albert Broccoli's legacy isn't in any danger of being forgotten--the credits of every modern Bond movie start with "Albert R. Broccoli's EON Productions" after all. Why pick a lazy and derivative title to honor an obscure (and probably not outstanding) film produced by an already much-honored man?
    echo wrote: »
    If the chapter titles were so great, they'd be book titles.

Some of them could have been and were considered for it. Fleming was so prolific with great titles that he could afford to relegate some to chapters.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE DATA

NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION TRAINING DIRECTORS

NINJA TEMPLE TRAINING DOJO

NERD TURNS TO DEMON
    NERD TURNS TO DEMON

Happens everyday on the internet.

NERD TURNS TO DEMON

Happens everyday on the internet.

Even here.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 5,767
    It was bad enough that we got QoS (and that they bottled it by naming the organisation Quantum, muddying the meaning of it).
    They didn´t muddy the meaning at all, they completely changed it, but the title makes complete sense in the context of the film, I don´t know what the problem is supposed to be with this title.

barryt007 wrote: »
    Hmmm I would go with :

CR
    QOS
    NTTD
    SF
    SP
    Good man, @barryt007. That would be my ranking too :-).

CraterGuns wrote: »
    I have no problem with QOS as a title (it’s Fleming after all), but I think they dropped the ball just a bit by not incorporating it into the dialog — even if only in an oblique manner.

The perfect place for that in the film would’ve been during the airline flight to Bolivia that Bond shares with Mathis. Just a line from Mathis about Bond somehow finding a “small measure of solace” in what he’s trying to do (in the wake of Vesper’s death)...
    But it´s so obvious throughout the film. Not mentioning it is much like the jokes in the film: Subtle but effective.
    Ranking the Craig titles (tentatively)

1 CR
    2 QOS
    3 SP
    4 SF
    5 NTTD

NERD TURNS TO DEMON

No Treacle Til Doomsday
    Never Trust Timothy Dalton
    Nice Try Talking Dirty
    Nasty Thugs Think Dense
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    l.jpg
    Welcome to NT2D the Next level of Goalkeeper Training
    c0568b_b0662bf7e8434e0b9dc6dedca2ce120d~mv2.jpg

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

NERD TURNS TO DEMON

NOMI TOO7K THE DIGITS
    I don't have anything against the new Bond 25 title but I just hope They don't kill him off in the end. Daniel Craig should do Roger Moore departure
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Agent7F wrote: »
    I don't have anything against the new Bond 25 title but I just hope They don't kill him off in the end. Daniel Craig should do Roger Moore departure

In a shower with a much younger blonde going "oooooh! hihihih!" all the time? :D
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Agent7F wrote: »

In a shower with a much younger blonde going "oooooh! hihihih!" all the time? :D

With a whole bunch of Madeleine clones.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Having let the title rest in my mind... okay, it's not that bad. I'd have preferred something a little different but it's okay. If you forget the other die titles in the franchise, it sounds better.

(meh, okay I sort of like it, ish, meh, I hate changing my mind!)

Someone on Youtube mentioned it sounded like a Die Hard title.

DIE HARD - NO TIME TO DIE

I think that sounds rather cool. =D> But too late, Bond got to it first. \:D/