No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Can't say I am particularly keen on all this DB5 screen time. Was hoping they would give it a rest after SF.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Can't say I am particularly keen on all this DB5 screen time. Was hoping they would give it a rest after SF.

Bond and Swann drove off in the DB5 at the end of SP, so it was almost a certainty the car would return if the story continued from that point, which is evidently does. Plus, the only real DB5 "dangerous" chase up until now is in GF (the TB scenes are short and the GE chase is a fun sequence not a life threatening one), and the GF chase is tame by today's standards, so I think it's great to give the DB5 a big and dangerous chase for its (possible) swan song. The action we are glimpsing looks terrific.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Bond and Swann drove off in the DB5 at the end of SP, so it was almost a certainty the car would return if the story continued from that point, which is evidently does. Plus, the only real DB5 "dangerous" chase up until now is in GF (the TB scenes are short and the GE chase is a fun sequence not a life threatening one), and the GF chase is tame by today's standards, so I think it's great to give the DB5 a big and dangerous chase for its (possible) swan song. The action we are glimpsing looks terrific.

+1, Col., +1.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Univex wrote: »

+1, Col., +1.

+1
    It's also interesting to note that it's the first car chase since TLD where Bond has a passenger (not counting GE for above mentioned reasons), and let alone his potential wife. I think that will add a layer of tension.
    It will be interesting to see what tone the chase will have. More laid back like SP, or serious and tense.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    00Agent wrote: »

+1, Col., +1.

+1
    It's also interesting to note that it's the first car chase since TLD where Bond has a passenger, and let alone his potential wife. I think that will add a layer of tension.
    It will be interesting to see what tone the chase will have. More laid back like SP, or serious and tense.

Leaked dialog from the chase sequence:

"Go backwards forwards quickly!"
    - "Huh?"

+1, Col., +1.

+1
    It's also interesting to note that it's the first car chase since TLD where Bond has a passenger (not counting GE for above mentioned reasons), and let alone his potential wife. I think that will add a layer of tension.

This is going to be an intense, tyre screeching, gear crunching car chase.

+1, Col., +1.

+1

This is going to be an intense, tyre screeching, gear crunching car chase.

I think so too. Closer to QoS basically (without the choppy editing). Plus gadgets and gunfire.
    A Bond fans wet dream lol.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I sincerely hope we get to see those DB5 gadgets not used in previous films - the caltrops, over-riders and gun tray under the seat. I'd also bet money we'll see something else mentioned in a previous film but ultimately unused...
    QBranch wrote: »
    I sincerely hope we get to see those DB5 gadgets not used in previous films - the caltrops, over-riders and gun tray under the seat. I'd also bet money we'll see something else mentioned in a previous film but ultimately unused...

Extending bumpers?

Extending bumpers?

Well, since "modern" Q branch rebuild the car from the ground up, maybe it has even more tricks up it's sleeve.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2019 Posts: 14,956

Yeah, it's never had a real chase on screen before; as you say the GF one is barely there and the GE one is a playful race rather than a proper car chase, good though it is.
    It's nice to have that proper chase that all of us schoolboys used to draw in our exercise books! :) And look at that stunning location- I just hope it turns out as good as it has the potential to.
    Although I can't deny I'm slightly nervous at how much the Aston seems to be sliding around: I like a perfectly executed slide rather than a showy one where the car oversteers too much- Bond is an expert driver and he wouldn't be slipping around more than he needs to: he's losing time doing those big slides he needs to correct. I hope they don't use that take in the vid Contraband kindly posted at the top of this page: that's a stupid slide- the car almost stops. If you watch the brilliant BMW chase in MI Fallout you'll notice that Hunt never slides the car more than he needs to; he only slides the car to position it for the next turn and he keeps the speed up, but it's still a spectacular chase.

Do we know who is the 2nd Unit director?
    The car taking a knock in the narrow alley ways. Debris flying around!

Excited to be heading there tomorrow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2019 Posts: 14,956
    Contraband wrote: »
    Short clip

This is the one I mean: that's too much sliding. If Bond drove like that he'd be dead- notice the car almost stops. I'd much rather see some expert rally turns than Bond driving like the policemen in the Dukes of Hazzard.
    Look at Ronin: that's full of expert professional driving with precision slides: not wasteful oversteer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The numberplates you mean? Certainly looks like they've been upgraded somehow as they can't rotate as they used to without that box around the front plate! :)
    I would like to see the overriders, yes. Although they'll need to beef up those weedy little rams they extended on! :D
    mtm wrote: »
    wasteful oversteer.

Which is something the DB5 is prone to. They're only keeping it real. Bond is not a pro rally driver. And the DB5 is NOT a rally car.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    slyfox wrote: »

Amazing how the person manages to hold the camera still... right up until the point action is called! :D
  • mtm wrote: »
    slyfox wrote: »

Amazing how the person manages to hold the camera still... right up until the point action is called! :D

He was the cinematographer for QOS ;)
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    What I don't get is why Cary Fukunaga simply isn't there during filming of this action sequence. Even Sam Mendes was present in Istanbul during filming of all the action stuff for the PTS. Even if this is 2nd unit stuff, I find it peculiar that he isn't there to guide Witt and others with some of his ideas while being there. On the other hand NTTD is a delayed Bond-film, if you like it or not. Looking at the fact that only one big action sequence is playing out on location so far, my guess is that there is way much more stuff to be filmed in Pinewood and that filming of NTTD has really become a tricky affair with Craig's injuries and Malek's enormous scheduling conflicts. It doesn't make me fully enthusiastic....just yet. Let's wait and see how Fukunaga's vision plays out on April 3rd.
    What I don't get is why Cary Fukunaga simply isn't there during filming of this action sequence. Even Sam Mendes was present in Istanbul during filming of all the action stuff for the PTS. Even if this is 2nd unit stuff, I find it peculiar that he isn't there to guide Witt and others with some of his ideas while being there. On the other hand NTTD is a delayed Bond-film, if you like it or not. Looking at the fact that only one big action sequence is playing out on location so far, my guess is that there is way much more stuff to be filmed in Pinewood and that filming of NTTD has really become a tricky affair with Craig's injuries and Malek's enormous scheduling conflicts. It doesn't make me fully enthusiastic....just yet. Let's wait and see how Fukunaga's vision plays out on April 3rd.

83260a5a-5253-4e67-ad18-518ea33b1b66_text_hi.gif
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Cary and the Main Unit will be there once the action requires the lead cast, Craig, Lea etc. Presently the 2nd Unit are filming stunt/vehicle action with a stunt team and doubles, and this is absolutely normal for a big production. Alexander Witt is extremely experienced and extremely good, and every shot and stunt has been carefully planned and agreed with Cary. On SF, Sam Mendes turned up for the Istanbul shoot once Craig and Naomie Harris were required. Meanwhile, I'd say the Main Unit are busy back at Pinewood Studios with the lead actors.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

He was there, was he not? Where is he now?

See my post.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Mendes needed the experience since his biggest action scene was Kevin Spacey getting shot in American Beauty
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Extending bumpers?
    That's what I mean by the "over-riders", but I have a strong hunch that
    it has even more tricks up it's sleeve.

Guess we'll see in April! ;)
    mtm wrote: »
    Although they'll need to beef up those weedy little rams they extended on! :D
    True, you could probably trip up a closely trailing bike with them as is though.

See my post.

Ah, cheers @ColonelSun

It's nice to know that while the big bangs are happening in Matera, the meatier character scenes are also potentially being shot at this very moment.

An efficient ship.
    aaaand Cary just confirmed that he's at Pinewood.
    Almost as if... as if he was reading this thread ;)

edited September 2019 Posts: 8,034

That's creepy. Very creepy.

Sandgren's got skills, though! ;)

See my post.

Ah, cheers @ColonelSun

It's nice to know that while the big bangs are happening in Matera, the meatier character scenes are also potentially being shot at this very moment.

An efficient ship.

That's how productions are run. Everything is about using time well and not wasting any time. Time is money. And striving to stay on schedule is key. The 2nd Unit do, if required, also work with lead cast members, but to a much lesser degree. It's the Main Unit, with the director, who deal with all the meaty drama and acting scenes. Once Craig is in the DB5's driver's seat, Cary will be there.

That's creepy. Very creepy.

It's probably the first link on his Playstation Browser ;)