Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I got an easy solution. Eon must have seen the online and general media reaction to this 'news'. Why not just rewrite Nomi's character and have her as 005 or some other 00. Bond returns to the service and his 007 code name is reinstated.

Problem solved. No controversy. No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians! ;) This is a Bond film - who cares about gender equality. If you want gender equality go watch another film.

Eon should scrap the female 007 angle from the plot. No big deal. Rewrites are common. Scrap female 007 and everyone (bar a few feminists that are just pretending to like the franchise but in reality don't give a hoot!) will be happy. Bond is 007. PERIOD. Don't waste your time trying to convince us 007 is someone else. He's not. He's Bond. =D>

I'm sorry this makes you uncomfortable. Time marches on.

At least after this whole thing people should realize that websites literally feed on causing fake controversy and you should not take everything the websites say for serious.

"Daniel Craig will portray a retired James Bond in the new 007 movie" doesn't bring as many clicks as "FINALLY A NEW 007! IT WIL BE A BLACK WOMAN!!!!!!"
    Ha!

Reading the last couple of pages...

It seems like they really wrote themselves into a corner with the "new 007" thing.

If they made the "new 007" a random white male killing him off in the first 5 minutes would cause literally 0 problems with everyone.

Buuuuut now that it's a black woman....

Everything will be seen as a lazy writing :D

Killing her in the PTS? Lazy writing.

Having her live and be the partner of 007 entire movie? Lazy writing.

Having her end up a mole at the last third of the movie? Lazy writing

Having her have a small 'Felixesque' role? Lazy writing cause we already have couple of characters like that so having another small role which helps Bond is not needed at all (especially after Tanner joining the Craig era...a thing which was not needed at all and I still think he is not needed as a character at all)

Having her stay over as 007? That's just straight up dumb. That would be like Nolan creating a new Batman movie...Batman returns after "retiriting" and....he ends the movie retiring.

You can't have a James Bond movie where he starts and ends retired no matter what.

So no matter what they'll do....the move will be hated by a certain group of people.

And all of this is... cause they wrote themselves into a corner with the stupid SPECTRE script where Bond out of nowhere falls in love with Madeline and retires with her after not killing his "half-brother" Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

I really feel sorry for the director, he accepted a movie which has to be a follow up to a bad script.

At least it's a challenge but...idk...
    I think the movie can be saved and it can be pretty solid cause I like to believe the story will be Bond first... but no matter what they do... this "new 007" thing is not needed at all out of context....but in the context of Bond being retired....it is needed.

Also...scrap the whole "new 007" thing aside.

What should they do with Madeline? She is also not needed in this movie.

Sure, Blofeld may have a small role behind bars and that's how they'll do his thing.

But Madeline? Will she be killed off? Will she break up with Bond? Will she be a mole?

So now you have 2(!!!) characters which need a certain closure.

And no matter what they do with these two characters the closure will be either lazy or stupid.

Having one stupid thing in a movie is ok...but two????

SPECTRE was the same with BROfeld and Swann relationship being too forced.

So this movie HAS to do at least two stupid decisions which fans will hate or not agree on no matter what.

If the rest of the movie is perfect - the movie still has to have 2 dumb/lazy things.

And the chances of the rest of the movie being perfect are not certain either.
    For all we know they may say "Hey btw...Remi Malek is the little brother of Le Chiffre/Green/Silva/Whatever"

Really feel sorry for Cary, he is in a no-win situation.

Sorry if I seem too pesimistic, I am not generally pesimistic just when I start to think about details like this haha

But other than the forum I don't think too much about the movie and I'll wait for the first trailer to see what they are cooking for us.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This bit: No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians!

Has anybody on this forum actually worded it that way? I want to know. Seriously. Somebody tell me if people have talked like that on here. I want to read it myself.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    This bit: No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians!

Has anybody on this forum actually worded it that way? I want to know. Seriously. Somebody tell me if people have talked like that on here. I want to read it myself.

Not that explicit i believe, but It's definitly in the subtext. The word 'pandering' has been thrown around a lot here for sure.

Why else get triggered on unsubstatiated rumor? Some people have it all figured out it seems.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Okay, thanks. I hope not. Because I would leave.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    00Agent wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Sani wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007.

After that, there is no such thing as "never".
    At most, the odds are very small.

You are just blowing this B25 twist out of proportions. Yes, life is full of surprises, but we are talking about a billion dollar franchise here. Making the movie you just quoted would mean throwing a billion dollar franchise down the toilet for no reason.

Exactly. Some people simply have not enough information to form an enducated opinion, and might think that movie producing is this strange and magical thing and that some studios just pull it out of their ass as they go along, based on their current mood. But as with everything there are certain rules to this game. Especially in Branding/Marketing/Sales etc. which all this is about.

Bond is a prestigeous legacy Brand that is running for 50 years now, which makes it very unique in Film history. it's well established why this franchise works and why people resonate with it and what they audience is looking for. No one will understand that better than EoN. If they break with the core values (changing the lead character), their future films will have no leg to stand on because they market their films on consistency and legacy. If you put a black woman in the lead you might as well start a new franchise from the ground up, because it will not be consistent with what came before. Why would you do that if you have a golden goose already? It's ridiculous

And their past films (which probably make them as much money as the new one if not more) will loose a great deal of value because they won't be in line with what the brand will be marketed as now, so the older stuff will slowly fade into obscurity, effectively killing the brand in the long run. Coca cola will not start tasting like beer all of a sudden, even if beer is more popular. That's not what coca cola is known for.

So nope, Bond is and will always remain a male-centric wish fullfilment action adventure with lots of hot girls, luxury and hedonism in spades, that's what makes it unique, it's their selling point.
    Everything else can be changed, but not the core character and appeal.

@00Agent thank you 😊👌

You're welcome :)>-

We just need more this more middle ground stuff because Blofeld must be controlling the media laughing in his chair stroking his cat saying if I can't destroy Bond I will create something so they destroy Bond for me mehaha ( cue the evil laugh) sounds more like Dr. Eggman from Sonic but whatever people get the point.

I call it common sense.
    All this boycotting and whining to me just sounds like a serious case of self-victimization syndrome "Hollywood feminists are trying to steal my manhood!!!1!!" lol. It's paranoid gibberish from wannabe Internet-activists wearing tinfoil hats.

If you think Hollywood is trying to steal your masculinity, and you're seriously concerned about it, there's probably not much left to begin with...

@00Agent well it has been happening as a trend in Hollywood (just look at the men in black debacle) so I could see why this is definitely upsets people very easily but it's like this is different case this more coincidental than forced and who knows if this is true and I'm sure there will be script changes from now until the movie is released. I just think people need to calm down either upset or excited until we find out real information. I just think things aren't as bad as they seem.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What happened with Men in Black?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Tessa Thompson was cast in MIB, which I guess was a bad thing because she’s a black female???

It’s become a problem when groups start believing the casting of POC women lead in franchises is ONLY done for nefarious reasons. We could have all taken the casting of Nomi as being an interesting twist, but instead overreact as if it’s something awful.

Basically, people are weird.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What happened with Men In Black? The film was made, that's what happened. Without Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, it just isn't worth it. Even the two sequels that they did make, weren't as good as the original film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What happened with Men In Black? The film was made, that's what happened. Without Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, it just isn't worth it. Even the two sequels that they did make, weren't as good as the original film.

I’m not convinced that’s what Blofeld was referring to there.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,985

I've heard that MIB International started out as a 21 Jump Street movie crossover. (Not sure how that was going to work...) but when that failed to materialise it became a straight MIB film that was apparently plagued by major re-writes even as it was filming, and the director almost walked out several times.

Turned out to be pretty awful by all accounts although i haven't seen it.
    Okay, thanks. I hope not. Because I would leave.

You are going nowhere madam, we need you to keep us plonkers of men under control !

True, it wasn’t good. Though the implication being made is that it failed because of “stunt casting” with Tessa Thompson, which is stupid.
    mtm wrote: »

@mtm The new one where they called it men in black and it was a women and man I heard it was a bad flop. Apparently her name is Tessa Thompson. If they were going to do what they did they should have made it a spin off what they did was silly.

@MajorDSmythe the new one with Tessa Thompson.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

He's talking about the new one.

People are talking about Nomi potentially being evil, as much as that would be a decent plot point, it would make the fourth film in a row either with an evil MI6 agent (Mitchell, QOS), an evil former MI6 agent (Silva, SF) or an evil someone related to MI6 (Denbigh, SP). It's tired at this point.

People are talking about Nomi potentially being evil, as much as that would be a decent plot point, it would make the fourth film in a row either with an evil MI6 agent (Mitchell, QOS), an evil former MI6 agent (Silva, SF) or an evil someone related to MI6 (Denbigh, SP). It's tired at this point.

That would be an excellent twist she turns out being a traitor.

@mtm The new one where they called it men in black and it was a women and man I heard it was a bad flop. Apparently her name is Tessa Thompson. If they were going to do what they did they should have made it a spin off what they did was silly.

That makes no sense as there have already been women agents in the previous films, why would it be an issue now?

That makes no sense as there have already been women agents in the previous films, why would it be an issue now?

Well I guess you could be right I'm not familiar with men in black but from a general audience perspective it definitely seems gimmicky. @MakeshiftPython
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 15,818
    The new Men in Black film only played about a week where I live. I'd say it flopped royally.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The new Men in Black film only played about a week where I live. I'd say it flopped royally.

@ToTheRight one week? You must be joking? Where you live?

I prefer Nomi to be on the good side. We alredy had one traitor from 00 section in "Goldeneye".
    Librarian wrote: »

I prefer Nomi to be on the good side. We alredy had one traitor from 00 section in "Goldeneye".

@Librarian I know I don't know I think would be an excellent an I gotcha play her as good the whole time then wham she changes sides.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Nope that's a terrible idea, stop trying to retcon her character haha :D
    They did say there are lots of twists and turns so I wouldn't be surprised. Imagine Bond training her up and then bam she switches sides to Blofeld and Spectre that would quite a twist. Thing is this whole era has been retconned so I'm wouldn't be shocked.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 15,818

It might have actually played 2 weeks, but I seem to remember the run ending a few weeks ago at the cinemas near me. I'm looking into this now as I'm curious.

Okay, if I want to drive an hour or two out I could probably still catch it somewhere.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 301
    They did say there are lots of twists and turns so I wouldn't be surprised. Imagine Bond training her up and then bam she switches sides to Blofeld and Spectre that would quite a twist. Thing is this whole era has been retconned so I'm wouldn't be shocked.

I understand your idea but I don't think that 00 agent needs to be trained.
    Librarian wrote: »

I understand your idea but I don't think that 00 agent needs to be trained.

@Librarian I don't think she will be trained either it's all an idea but the turning bad idea is excellent especially if the whole film they portray her as good and then wham 360.

It might have actually played 2 weeks, but I seem to remember the run ending a few weeks ago at the cinemas near me. I'm looking into this now as I'm curious.

Okay, if I want to drive an hour or two out I could probably still catch it somewhere.

@ToTheRight I see it's got bad reviews on the internet.