Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    PC has taken over nearly all components of media. If Shaft were played by a half Mexican male (like me!) would people be okay with this? What about Wonder Woman being played by an Asian man? Why is it okay to steal white men roles but not the other way around?

What "white male role" is being "stolen" here? The character is a replacement 007, and Daniel Craig (last I knew, still a white male, unless he underwent that pigment surgery Robert Downey Jr's character did in Tropic Thunder) is still James Bond, now retired from MI6, as shown clearly at the end of SPECTRE.

So, tell me, did you read anything about this or are you just stirring the pot for your own amusement?
  • NeverOnTheFirmsTimeNeverOnTheFirmsTime A plane tree'd square off the Kings Road
    PC has taken over nearly all components of media. If Shaft were played by a half Mexican male (like me!) would people be okay with this? What about Wonder Woman being played by an Asian man? Why is it okay to steal white men roles but not the other way around?

She's not James Bond, she's 007.

In the world of the series and its own internal logic there is no context behind who is 007. It's merely a code-number that can be reassigned to anyone. Why would MI6 be precious about who get's the number? M wouldn't be like "Nomi, can't have James's old number!"

I'm little disheartened as I can't imagine there would be as much uproar if they had decided to give the 007 number to Henry Cavill or Nicholas Hoult. The fact that its a young, black actress is triggering people unnecessarily.

Nomi is NOT James Bond. Shes a character in her own right who has inherited the '007' prefix.

This is such a non-story and comments such as the above are inanely using the opportunity to condemn the views of others unnecessarily.

Couldn't have put it better myself 👌
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

She's not James Bond, she's 007.

In the world of the series and its own internal logic there is no context behind who is 007. It's merely a code-number that can be reassigned to anyone. Why would MI6 be precious about who get's the number? M wouldn't be like "Nomi, can't have James's old number!"

I'm little disheartened as I can't imagine there would be as much uproar if they had decided to give the 007 number to Henry Cavill or Nicholas Hoult. The fact that its a young, black actress is triggering people unnecessarily.

Nomi is NOT James Bond. Shes a character in her own right who has inherited the '007' prefix.

This is such a non-story and comments such as the above are inanely using the opportunity to condemn the views of others unnecessarily.

It would have bothered me & many people if they just pass on the torch to someone like Henry Cavill or anyone on that Matter. When bond26 is in production I don't want to be reminded of previous bond's especially DC's bond. They need to start fresh all this passing on the in his code name or code number is just lazy writing & SJW influence imo nothing else.
    James Bond is 007 and 007 is James Bond. This is the common conception and cause of outrage on social media. For many '007' is not "merely a codenumber", like R2-D2 isn't just merely a number that can be assigned to any robot in Star Wars. The buzz and debate is totally predictable when you toy with the identity of an established character.

But it's great marketing. We should at least all be happy for that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If you type "James Bond woke" into youtube, it will get hundreds of p***ed off fans lamenting this decision to replace James Bond. The story is taking on a life of its own. I hope the teaser trailer puts Bond front and center and not this new character, or there will be mayhem.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If you type "James Bond woke" into youtube, it will get hundreds of p***ed off fans lamenting this decision to replace James Bond.

YouTube is where all of the weirdos live, yes.
    The story is taking on a life of its own. I hope the teaser trailer puts Bond front and center and not this new character, or there will be mayhem.

Which dimension do you live in where you even consider this to be a possibility? :D
    If you type "James Bond woke" into youtube, it will get hundreds of p***ed off fans lamenting this decision to replace James Bond.
    Yes, that is proving my point. 007 is James Bond and vice versa. In the minds of many the two are inseparable from each other. There would be no debate if she were to be given '008'.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Code-name is temporarily transferred to another agent. Most fans wouldn't think much of it. But somehow since that agent is black and a woman, that has people angry. Just racist and sexist people outing themselves or people getting massively baited/misunderstanding the news. If you're this mad about someone's skin color getting a coveted position (In a film! And not even for long!), might want to do some self-evaluation.
    Code-name is temporarily transferred to another agent. Most fans wouldn't think much of it. But somehow since that agent is black and a woman, that has people angry. Just racist and sexist people.

So, only black women are allowed to doubt or criticize the decision? For many it has nothing to do with race or gender. What if it was another white male instead of a black woman? Would you be fine with the criticism then?
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Code-name is temporarily transferred to another agent. Most fans wouldn't think much of it. But somehow since that agent is black and a woman, that has people angry. Just racist and sexist people.

So, only black women are allowed to doubt or criticize the decision? For many it has nothing to do with race or gender. What if it was another white male instead of a black woman? Would you be fine with the criticism then?

Same, either it's black/white or any race/ gender I am not okay with it. But I still think that it's just tabloid bs hardly any truth behind it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

So, only black women are allowed to doubt or criticize the decision?

The logic of that escapes me completely! :)

So the issue isn't that Bond is no longer 007, that's absolutely fine? The problem is that his desk gets taken by someone else because that's somehow impossible or awful? Nothing at all to do with 'SJWs' and 'political correctness' etc., which for some reason folk keep mentioning as if it's related to this in some way?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,861
    Yes, that is proving my point. 007 is James Bond and vice versa. In the minds of many the two are inseparable from each other. There would be no debate if she were to be given '008'.

There also wouldn't be a joke!
    You know the 'woke' bit is to do with her gender and race? So that rather proves the point that for many that's the main issue; not that Bond isn't 007 any more in this movie.

What is it that you guys are imagining when you say 'the decision to replace James Bond'? That Nomi is the star of this new film? That it'll be the 'Nomi 007' series from here on?
    The main issue is the producers of the Bond franchise throwing a bone to online Social Justice press many of whom don't really care about the franchise, but who have been campaigning for years for Bond to be portrayed by someone of another race or gender.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,834
    James Bond will be front and centre whether Nomi is 007 or not. It's called the James Bond series. Nomi will hold her own, not become the main character.

And @Mendes4Lyfe, the film would've got heavy attention for those "campaigners" anyway. At least this way there's chance these people will see this film and the James Bond franchise will be introduced to new audiences. Some probably will boycot the film...

...but thinking about it, whose better off? The people who are going to give the benefit of the doubt and try to enjoy the film for what it is, and make realistic reviews when we've seen the film and the characters in context, or the people who are going to judge the film before they see it or don't see it at all and miss out on what could be the best Bond film?
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I'm really looking forward to see Lashana Lynch on screen in this film. The character of Nomi is turning into quite the role for obvious reasons.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,921

What if Henry Cavill or Aidan Turner were playing the replacement 007 in B25? Would your reaction to that casting be the same?
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 2,593
    I do hope that the lady 007 dies at some point in the movie and Bond gets his number back at the end of the film. On second thoughts, maybe the latter would be cheesy. I hope she dies as Bond can’t save her and he returns to the service but the code number isn’t mentioned until the next film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Bounine wrote: »
    I do hope that the lady 007 dies at some point in the movie and Bond gets his number back at the end of the film.

The only scenario I find reasonable yet interesting in which she can die is sacrificing herself by the end of the movie, saving/letting Bond finish the mission. Something in the style of May Day's demise.

She won't suffer a Severine treatment. You don't cast a new female 007 just to make her presence in the movie almost pointless.
    echo wrote: »

What if Henry Cavill or Aidan Turner were playing the replacement 007 in B25? Would your reaction to that casting be the same?

Absolutely not.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    For many it has nothing to do with race or gender. What if it was another white male instead of a black woman? Would you be fine with the criticism then?

Same, either it's black/white or any race/ gender I am not okay with it. But I still think that it's just tabloid bs hardly any truth behind it.
    The main issue is the producers of the Bond franchise throwing a bone to online Social Justice press many of whom don't really care about the franchise, but who have been campaigning for years for Bond to be portrayed by someone of another race or gender.

So the problem is her race/gender? I'm getting confused here! :)

Maybe we need a separate thread for the bigots? :D

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    I do hope that the lady 007 dies at some point in the movie and Bond gets his number back at the end of the film.

The only scenario I find reasonable yet interesting in which she can die is sacrificing herself by the end of the movie, saving/letting Bond finish the mission. Something in the style of May Day's demise.

Yeah that's cool. I think it's either that or she's a baddie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Absolutely not.

But Aidan Turner is Irish.
    mtm wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »

Yeah that's cool. I think it's either that or she's a baddie.

Yep. We'll see.

Regarding de Armas, sounds like she's actually the kidnapped scientist. So it's highly likely she won't be the super sexy Bond girl almost everyone thought she would play.
    For many it has nothing to do with race or gender. What if it was another white male instead of a black woman? Would you be fine with the criticism then?

The problem here is (if the rumors are true) they are bending to the SJW's agenda just to get more audience to attract to Cinema. Her race/gender has nothing to do with it.

Even if there would have been a female 007 at lead for bond26 I would be okay with it even respect that , I won't like or watch it but I won't bash it either because she would be building herself from the ground brick by brick just like Daniel or any other bond's did they didn't just use bond's name to attract the audience.

We may need a separate thread for ignorants as well?

So the issue isn't that Bond is no longer 007, that's absolutely fine? The problem is that his desk gets taken by someone else
    Correct. 007 is someone else than James Bond. That is my issue. White male, black woman, frenchspeaking asian midget - doesn't matter - it is someone else.

The problem here is (if the rumors are true) they are bending to the SJW's agenda just to get more audience to attract to Cinema. Her race/gender has nothing to do with it.

EoN always followed trends to attract more people to the cinemas, especially since LALD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,861

If her race/gender have nothing to do with it, why are you saying these so-called 'SJW's would be interested in it?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

So the issue isn't that Bond is no longer 007, that's absolutely fine? The problem is that his desk gets taken by someone else
    Correct. 007 is someone else than James Bond. That is my issue. White male, black woman, frenchspeaking asian midget - doesn't matter - it is someone else.

Are you okay with Batman or Spider-Man being anyone else other than Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Even if there would have been a female 007 at lead for bond26 I would be okay with it even respect that , I won't like or watch it but I won't bash it either because she would be building herself from the ground brick by brick just like Daniel or any other bond's did they didn't just use bond's name to attract the audience.

Are you saying you think they're trying to launch a new series and replace Bond as the lead? I genuinely can't understand what you're trying to say.

Absolutely not.

Really?

By this logic, would you be angry if you resigned from your job today, and your boss recruited a black woman into your old role?

Personally, I think Lashana is probably feeling a lot of pressure today. I really hope she smashes it and puts the doubters out of her mind. She's only midway through filming and the negativity shouldn't throw her off. Mainly as it's countenanced by a huge amount of support.

Despite @jamesbondlive posting a very negative tweet about this - I've seen A LOT of love on Twitter and social media.

If I had an opinion on how this plays out it would be the following:
    I believe that Bond will die in this film......Therefore, Nomi retains the number and becomes 007. Much in the same way that John Blake became Batman at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.

This leads the way towards either a Nomi spin-off (very unlikely and hugely dependent on how Lynch is received) and the inevitable reboot from someone like Christopher Nolan or Edgar Wright with a new cast/new Bond.