No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    MooreFun wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter how well executed it might be. Word of mouth has already sunk the film.

Audiences don’t like this horseshit. They didn’t like it when Ghostbusters tried it, they didn’t like it when Oceans tried it, and they aren’t going to like it when Terminator tries it, which is why the director of Dark Fate is already starting the “men are threatened by this STRONK WOMYN LEAD” crap.

Even if this is just a stupid gimmick that Babs pulled out of her ass, you’ve sent a clear message to people; this film is unoriginal pandering. And like it or not, having a black actress in the role will sink the film in China even more. I hope Universal is ready to take a big write down on the film.

Remember when Captain Marvel was gonna bomb, using the same rhetoric you are using? About that....

Their planet sounds a bit too hot for my liking.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    Regardless of what one may think about the Lashana Lynch news/rumours, they managed to generate worldwide buzz: #Bond is trending in Germany now, too.

Buzz, whether positive or controversial, raises awareness and online presence of the film. It will take more people to the theatres, from all camps - the faithful fans and the curious sceptics.

It's pure speculation, but I like to think that the news 'leaking' is not a coincidence. It was all perfectly planned by Barbara and Michael, both sitting in extremely comfy chairs, stroking white persians.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I was closely associated with my job role for many years, my employer gave me it.
    My real name was separate, my parents gave me it.
    When I left my job I kept my name.
    My job title went to someone else. (Shock, horror, it was given to a woman!!! Oh no, oh wait it didn't matter one little bit)
    That's what happens when someone leaves a role, they are succeeded. If Bond was real (and to me he is as good as) his number would be a assigned to another.
    To the doom mongers and critics just chill. Enjoy the fact we have a new Bond in production and judge the finished product next April. Think of your blood pressure.

This.
    The whole thing is such a non-issue. People act like Bond was demasculined when in reality he LEFT THE SERVICE. Bond is man enough to own up to this, and understands that MI6 is not desperately waiting for him to come back.
    Also i don't think he left them a memo describing explicitly what to do or not to do with his number. It belongs to MI6 not to him. In reality movie character Bond doesn't give a toss, and he will take the whole thing with a smile as usual when he finds out.
    TR007 wrote: »
    I’d expect a contentious response to this news on Twitter but I’m honestly quite surprised to see so many people on these forums complaining about it.
    I do sympathise with those of you who’s enthusiasm for the movie has waned, but just wait until the final product has arrived. Who knows you might be pleasantly surprised.

People don't wanna be pleasantly suprised, that's lame. They want to be massively outraged and offended. So much more intense. After all, whats the point in living if you can't feel alive.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I love these forum pages. Genuinely look forward to catching up on opinions and different points of view. I don't often comment, in fact I've only written 178 posts in 7ish years. My point is I just enjoy reading about Bond in all it's forms.
    Each time this thread has lots of updates I think Ooh great maybe we've had some new titbits. But no. Instead it's page after page of negativity, Bond 25 is doomed, attacking people with different opinions etc etc. To quote Silva, "it's exhausting" .
    The frenzied reaction to a black female playing 007, not Bond, 007 in a story we don't even know yet is beyond my comprehension. It really is. I honestly don't understand why it is so offensive. Can someone who does please educate me because I feel like I'm missing something. (Again, to repeat myself this is my opinion, if it's different to your's see if you can resist attacking me)
    My view as to why this angle doesn't upset me is because of what we do ACTUALLY KNOW. In the official synopsis Bond RETIRES from active service. So, he doesn't get sacked, demoted or moved aside to make way for tokenism. He retires and is replaced, as he would be. Replaced by another human, that's it.
    Now the story, I assume, will then have to get our man re-enstated. We haven't a clue yet how that will pan out.
    Admittedly Barbara Broccoli has made or at least allowed some strange decisions to pass, i.e. Brofeld, but I don't believe she will re engineer her father's work by permanently separating Bond and 007. Therefore it's just a plot point. A hook. A new angle. Why get upset about it.
    I'll shut up now for 7ish years.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I love these forum pages. Genuinely look forward to catching up on opinions and different points of view. I don't often comment, in fact I've only written 178 posts in 7ish years. My point is I just enjoy reading about Bond in all it's forms.
    Each time this thread has lots of updates I think Ooh great maybe we've had some new titbits. But no. Instead it's page after page of negativity, Bond 25 is doomed, attacking people with different opinions etc etc. To quote Silva, "it's exhausting" .
    The frenzied reaction to a black female playing 007, not Bond, 007 in a story we don't even know yet is beyond my comprehension. It really is. I honestly don't understand why it is so offensive. Can someone who does please educate me because I feel like I'm missing something. (Again, to repeat myself this is my opinion, if it's different to your's see if you can resist attacking me)
    My view as to why this angle doesn't upset me is because of what we do ACTUALLY KNOW. In the official synopsis Bond RETIRES from active service. So, he doesn't get sacked, demoted or moved aside to make way for tokenism. He retires and is replaced, as he would be. Replaced by another human, that's it.
    Now the story, I assume, will then have to get our man re-enstated. We haven't a clue yet how that will pan out.
    Admittedly Barbara Broccoli has made or at least allowed some strange decisions to pass, i.e. Brofeld, but I don't believe she will re engineer her father's work by permanently separating Bond and 007. Therefore it's just a plot point. A hook. A new angle. Why get upset about it.

Please. Don't go.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I'll still read it.😉
    I'm seeing people share these 007 -Lashana articles on Facebook and posting how ecstatic they are that the Bond franchise is finally moving with the times.
    I suspect they haven't actually been read the article, but only the headline.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

@cwl007 if they are doing this that's the way I would want it done.
    We need you @cwl007 !
    Thanks for chiming in. I’m sure the inevitable trailer will put a lot of minds to rest. For now though it is genuinely quite nice to see someone else who is positive about this news.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm seeing people share these 007 -Lashana articles on Facebook and posting how ecstatic they are that the Bond franchise is finally moving with the times.

I suspect they haven't watched a Bond film either.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France

My guess is that some fans project themselves into Bond, which is a fantasy version of manhood, or if we're being honest, an overgrown kid who gets a lot of expensive toys and that all the girls love. They fear that the character is being sidelined to make way for minorities (if you can call women a minority) which mirrors their feelings that, as white males, they're losing the power and the authority that they deserve.

So, they'll jump at the "Lashana Lynch will be 007 in the new Bond film" and read it erroneously as "Lashana Lynch will replace Daniel Craig as the face of the franchise and the secret agent who saves the world over and over", partly because James Bond is a symbol and a fantasy to them and they're very sensitive about any of his characteristics being altered and moved away from the usual. The code number (and it's just the code number, at least for a few minutes) is apparently something nobody should be allowed to toy away with.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Murdock wrote: »

And they probably won't. It's just a hip thing to share today like "#ImWithLashana" or something. Worthless social media activism.
    00Agent wrote: »

And they probably won't. It's just a hip thing to share today like "#ImWithLashana" or something. Worthless social media activism.

Exactly.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126

My guess is that some fans project themselves into Bond, which is a fantasy version of manhood, or if we're being honest, an overgrown kid who gets a lot of expensive toys and that all the girls love. They fear that the character is being sidelined to make way for minorities (if you can call women a minority) which mirrors their feelings that, as white males, they're losing the power and the authority that they deserve.

So, they'll jump at the "Lashana Lynch will be 007 in the new Bond film" and read it erroneously as "Lashana Lynch will replace Daniel Craig as the face of the franchise and the secret agent who saves the world over and over", partly because James Bond is a symbol and a fantasy to them and they're very sensitive about any of his characteristics being altered and moved away from the usual. The code number (and it's just the code number, at least for a few minutes) is apparently something nobody should be allowed to toy away with.

@HildebrandRarity it's not that people don't like change it's just how far you go. There is a reason why Bond has lasted so long they keep the foundation and remodel the franchise every so often they don't tear the whole thing down just to be hey look at us they look long term in the future that's why Fleming was ahead his time he had that great balance.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Can we have a discussion page for the people who are excited about everything they're doing with Bond 25?

Exactly. As much as I love Craig I often feel his films are geared towards movie goers who aren't really Bond fans, but fans of whatever else out there that's popular at the moment: Bourne, story arc franchises, etc
    The Brosnan era, on the other hand was unashamedly marketed in such a way to bring classic cinematic Bond back to the forefront.
    I suppose both approaches work as far as drawing audiences in, but the Craig era sometimes feels ashamed of it's Bondian heritage. I'm hoping this new film is a solid middle finger to the media that constantly criticizes Bond as outdated and irrelevant.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Can we have a discussion page for the people who are excited about everything they're doing with Bond 25?

The Bond25 echo chamber thread? ;)

Exactly. As much as I love Craig I often feel his films are geared towards movie goers who aren't really Bond fans, but fans of whatever else out there that's popular at the moment: Bourne, story arc franchises, etc
    The Brosnan era, on the other hand was unashamedly marketed in such a way to bring classic cinematic Bond back to the forefront.
    I suppose both approaches work as far as drawing audiences in, but the Craig era sometimes feels ashamed of it's Bondian heritage. I'm hoping this new film is a solid middle finger to the media that constantly criticizes Bond as outdated and irrelevant.

Same.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 503
    I'm wondering what people think... with Daniel set to quit the role probably after Bond 25, do we think Ms. Lynch will be taking over the role of 007 in future entries? It would be the perfect opportunity for them to do something like that, and in 2019 it's definitely not far fetched. I can't see them casting another white macho male in the role of Bond, at the very least.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869

If that's what it takes. I'm all for alternative opinions but the problem is this isn't an alternative opinion. This is presenting opinions as facts. People seemed to have already decided Nomi being 007 for a whoever much of the film will not work and is just a gimmick before they've even seen the film and seen the idea in context.

If that's what it takes. I'm all for alternative opinions but this beyond just an opinion. This has gotten to the point where people are presenting opinions as facts. People seemed to have already decided Nomi being 007 for a whoever much of the film will not work and is just a gimmick before they've even seen the film and seen the idea in context.

Welcome to the world where everyone has different opinions. Whether you agree with them or not.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I think this is all a classic tabloids last ditch effort to turn the fans against the franchise because all there other tactics didn't work and they thought you know we can do start a civil war to take this movie out I bet its all hogwash.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

If that's what it takes. I'm all for alternative opinions but this beyond just an opinion. This has gotten to the point where people are presenting opinions as facts. People seemed to have already decided Nomi being 007 for a whoever much of the film will not work and is just a gimmick before they've even seen the film and seen the idea in context.

Welcome to the world where everyone has different opinions. Whether you agree with them or not.
    I'm very used to it but when someone who compares the use of a black actress as the new 007 to a cheap, over-the-top stunt in a crappy James Bond film, that doesn't feel like an opinion, just more of an insult.

There is much more that can go wrong with this movie than this. Waltz returning is more problematic for the franchise than this little codename change, which might not even be permanent by the end of the film. At least this piece of information got people interested and will probably get way more bums on seats, whereas Waltz returning generated hardly any buzz. People didn't really care.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

I'm very used to it but when someone who compares the use of a black actress as the new 007 to a cheap, over-the-top stunt in a crappy James Bond film, that doesn't feel like an opinion, just more of an insult.

There is much more that can go wrong with this movie than this. Waltz returning is more problematic for the franchise than this little codename change, which might not even be permanent by the end of the film. At least this piece of information got people interested and will probably get way more bums on seats, whereas Waltz returning generated hardly any buzz. People didn't really care.

@Denbigh Because maybe that it is a gimmick people can have different opinions
    But what people aren't seeing is that in modern film industry, James Bond isn't as important to the general public.

The film industry is a business so of course they're gonna make these kind of decisions, but is that unbelievable to think that the producers and writers worked in harmony to create something that felt good for the story and also appealing to audiences that may not have necessarily gone to see Bond 25 in the first place. The more successful this film is, the more Bond films they can make.

I'm very used to it but when someone compares the use of a black actress as the new 007 to a cheap, over-the-top stunt in a crappy James Bond film, that doesn't feel like an opinion, just more of an insult.

Well I can't help you there.
    I think this is all a classic tabloids last ditch effort to turn the fans against the franchise because all there other tactics didn't work and they thought you know we can do start a civil war to take this movie out I bet its all hogwash.

Let's not forget how right they were about Moneypenny, few here believed them at that time.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

...but what people aren't seeing is that in modern film industry, James Bond isn't as important to the general public.

The film industry is a business so of course they're gonna make these kind of decisions, but is that unbelievable to think that the producers and writers worked in harmony to create something that felt good for the story and also appealing to audiences that may not have necessarily gone to see Bond 25 in the first place. The more successful this film is, the more Bond films they can make. Just because you're turned of by it, you're still gonna see the film and maybe others will to, and who knows you might enjoy the idea in context.

I'm always up for people's opinions, but this stuff regarding the 007 codename being given to a black woman for ONE movie, is really not enough to write off the film already.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited July 2019 Posts: 1,165
    Ain't that the truth. Both sides of the spectrum love having and spouting opinions and feelings on subjects they have very little understanding or information on. It's quite tiring.

appealing to audiences that may not have necessarily gone to see Bond 25 in the first place.

Will these non fans even bother to see the film anyway?
    Bond wrote: »

Let's not forget how right they were about Moneypenny, few here believed them at that time.

We will see though you would think other reliable sources would pick it up.