No Time to Die production thread

Comments

matt_u wrote: »
    Having said that, he never worked on something like this before, so let's hope the result won't be a Serra (garbage) volume 2.

My fear as well.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Love it :)
    Can someone post a track of his that’s representative of his skills?
    TripAces wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m still not convinced it’s a young Madeleine. Firstly, Malek was on set in Norway and I have trouble reconciling him being in a flashback.

Why is that? We've touched on it quite a bit above. If this is a flashback that shows events that occurred in the late 90's, Malek's character would be roughly 20 years old. If you look at pictures of him through the years, he looks virtually the same at nearly 40.

It doesn’t add up to me. Especially given the pursuit we’ve seen. Like you say, Occam’s Razor.

Malek's character is, as far as we can make out from the few details we have, exploiting illegal genetic experiments and I suspect the girl (the Madeleine look-a-like) has something to do with that - after all it seems the child is the target in the ice-lake house assault. Just a guess, but I don't think, like RC7, she's Swann's daughter, but they cast a young girl to resemble her... join the dots.

So, SPECTRE gets its hands on cloning technology and they decide to use it to clone...Madeleine Swann?

If, and it's a big IF, cloning is part of the plot, then, as I suggested in an early post, using the innocent child of a seasoned Spectre operative, Mr. White, makes sense for secret and illegal experimentation and controlled research. (Blofeld used normal girls from around the world for his plan in OHMSS.) I simply feel the young girl in the ice-lake house has significant meaning, hence why Malek's character seems to zero in on her.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,160
    Univex wrote: »
    Can someone post a track of his that’s representative of his skills?

+1

Can someone point to some thing of his that would fit in a Bond movie? From what I can read he is more of a synth man using quirky sounds, than an orchestra man.
    I’m still not convinced it’s a young Madeleine. Firstly, Malek was on set in Norway and I have trouble reconciling him being in a flashback.

Why is that? We've touched on it quite a bit above. If this is a flashback that shows events that occurred in the late 90's, Malek's character would be roughly 20 years old. If you look at pictures of him through the years, he looks virtually the same at nearly 40.

It doesn’t add up to me. Especially given the pursuit we’ve seen. Like you say, Occam’s Razor.

Malek's character is, as far as we can make out from the few details we have, exploiting illegal genetic experiments and I suspect the girl (the Madeleine look-a-like) has something to do with that - after all it seems the child is the target in the ice-lake house assault. Just a guess, but I don't think, like RC7, she's Swann's daughter, but they cast a young girl to resemble her... join the dots.

So, SPECTRE gets its hands on cloning technology and they decide to use it to clone...Madeleine Swann?

If, and it's a big IF, cloning is part of the plot, then, as I suggested in an early post, using the innocent child of a seasoned Spectre operative, Mr. White, makes sense for secret and illegal experimentation and controlled research. (Blofeld used normal girls from around the world for his plan in OHMSS.) I simply feel the young girl in the ice-lake house has significant meaning, hence why Malek's character seems to zero in on her.

It would be very Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
    Indeed, thank you @ggl007!
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Composer Dan Romer might please the Thomas Newman fans here but I'm pretty lukewarm, if not underwhelmed by his appointment. He has quite an ambient synth style and also does quirky scores, but nothing in his repertoire screams Bond to me.
    The
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Maybe Bond only caught a clone of Blofeld in SP ? The real one is still out there.

I know you're joking but I was about to ponder whether Malek's character is some kind of Blofeld clone? An early experiment gone wrong perhaps? Not really the territory I want them exploring but in a way as long as it's deftly handled, these plot elements are not soooo important. It's when they jar or don't make sense that I find it annoying. As long as stuff makes internal logical sense within the film, and the script and actors can carry it , that's all that matters really.

Way too far into scifi.

Or is it science fact that just doesn’t fit Bond?

To the extend that cloning would involved fully grown humans it is pure scifi, not science facts.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,586
    Not enthused by Romer's hiring at all. I loved his score for BONN but his work is far from Bondian.

I can get on board with it, but I can't help but feel disappointed that they didn't go with Arnold, or better yet a new guy like with a Bondian energy like Hurwitz or Giacchino.
    AgentM72 wrote: »

I doubt, if cloning is in the mix, anyone will be comparing Bond with Jurassic Park; FK; but we do know there is a young girl who has been cast to resemble Swann, and the flashback theory might (re; the Norway shoot) be out, and I do not think the girl is her secret daughter; if she was, it seems a contrivance that such a child would pop up 5 years after SP. That would mean Swann abandoned her young daughter (with guardians?) and went off to work in a clinic and then went off with Bond. Don't think I buy that.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Sure, she was a convenient source of DNA for experimentation.
    Okay so what evidence do we have that cloning will be in the movie?

And after the codename theory, are we going to have the clone name theory?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    antovolk wrote: »
    Indeed, thank you @ggl007!

My pleasure. Interesting choice. Sad for Arnold, anyway...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Not buying it.

Not buying it.

You remember Dolly the Sheep? Cutting edge, and, in the case of human cloning, illegal experiments, which can go badly wrong, would have to use controlled (and secret) subjects. Of course we are speculating -- but, based on the big question, who is the young girl and why did they cast someone to resemble a young Swann, we have to wonder what that means. Agreed?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,548

Not buying it.

You remember Dolly the Sheep? Cutting edge, and, in the case of human cloning, illegal experiments, which can go badly wrong, would have to use controlled (and secret) subjects. Of course we are speculating -- but, based on the big question, who is the young girl and why did they cast someone to resemble a young Swann, we have to wonder what that means. Agreed?

It’s not the cloning that is the issue. It is cloning Madeleine, of all people, that makes no sense.

We might be overthinking this and making the mistake of assuming the kidnapped scientist is associated with the “dangerous technology.” He might not be.
    Well cloning is a bit of an issue as people here seem to want Blofeld to be cloned. Or Madeleine. Not sheep or ears or whatever.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Cloning, in the current stage of it, still very much feels like a sci-fi element and I'm not sure I want that introduced in a Bond film. It also opens up a whole can of worms. The producers must know that a vast majority of the audience would reject it; that Bond doesn't play in the Marvel universe. The facial transplant thing from DAD was mocked; this would be worse. We're not ready for this yet, not at all.
    AgentM72 wrote: »

I doubt, if cloning is in the mix, anyone will be comparing Bond with Jurassic Park; FK; but we do know there is a young girl who has been cast to resemble Swann, and the flashback theory might (re; the Norway shoot) be out, and I do not think the girl is her secret daughter; if she was, it seems a contrivance that such a child would pop up 5 years after SP. That would mean Swann abandoned her young daughter (with guardians?) and went off to work in a clinic and then went off with Bond. Don't think I buy that.

Agree, I'd think there would be more to it than the secret daughter bit.

The opportunities are wide open. If they truly nail a mix of cutting-edge "science" with a realistic, classic spy-vibe...that's an area I'd want to watch Bond films play in all day.

Not buying it.

It’s not the cloning that is the issue. It is cloning Madeleine, of all people, that makes no sense.

I think the reason for using the child of a Spectre agent ( as a controlled and secret subject in illegal and cutting edge experiments) has been explained to you. Anyway, it's just a guess, but it's still based on the questions you don't seem to be asking yourself - what is the reason for casting a young girl to resemble Swann/Lea and why does Malek's character, who we understand will be exploiting genetics, want to get hold of that child, as we have seen from the winter Norway shoot? I'm keen to hear your or others thoughts.
    I’ll give Romer a chance, but I am a bit disappointed Arnold was not brought back. At least it won’t be Newman again.

GREAT news! Although I’m not sure yet he is good enough, I’m overjoyed about this news for two reasons: 1. He is Fukunaga’s choice. 2. David Arnold is not returning!!!

Read my lips: Arnold will never work on a Bond film ever again.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

GREAT news! Although I’m not sure yet he is good enough, I’m overjoyed about this news for two reasons: 1. He is Fukunaga’s choice. 2. David Arnold is not returning!!!

Read my lips: Arnold will never work on a Bond film ever again.

We can't.

Not buying it.

We might be overthinking this and making the mistake of assuming the kidnapped scientist is associated with the “dangerous technology.” He might not be.

The kidnapped scientist would not be taken if he did not have knowledge Malek's character needs - and genetics is, as we understand, what Malek's character is exploiting. And I believe, on what we know so far, that it will connect to the girl who resembles M. Swann.
    I am pretty sure Malek is Blofeld. He had plastic surgery on his face, skin, hips and personality to go from Waltz to Rami.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Great to know the composer! I thought all along that Cary would choose someone he had already worked with. I don't know Romer's work, but I feel positive simply because they have worked together before.

So what do you all think of Romer's work? I'm reading some people saying great because they liked the music in Beasts Of No Nation and Maniac. I just don't know his music - I don't mind it being different from past Bond films EXCEPT of course I want a great them song, and have it subtly woven into the score at times. It will probably have a more modern feel that past Bond films; that's okay with me. Just coming on here first, so I don't know how positive/negative members here are about Romer.

OK ... reading here and some of you do really like his work. Good. And yes, it seems confirmed by Romer:
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,160
    The kidnapped scientist would not be taken if he did not have knowledge Malek's character needs
    There could be many other reasons. For example to prevent that he spills the beans.
    Besides we know that there are twists. Maybe the "kidnapped" scientist is working with Malek all along. Would certainly be a typical thing for Dencik, who's used to playing a turncoat.
    I am pretty sure Malek is Blofeld. He had plastic surgery on his face, skin, hips and personality to go from Waltz to Rami.

I have been wondering if they are going to go this route since Malek was announced. Maybe they may even go for a double fake-out with Waltz Blofeld in jail, who had secretly cloned himself and changed his appearance sometime in the past.