No Time to Die production thread

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Or Swann’s clone...

I tossed this out a couple of weeks ago and heard crickets; with the genetic warfare angle, it's a possibility.

Crickets it is... ;)

Seriously, Swann dies in Matera and then Bond is lured back to save her clone, as he promised her father he'd protect his daughter, and...to all effects, she is.

Crickets...loads of crickets.
    Could we end up with something similar to the last mission impossible film? There is a chase sequence in Matera during PTS, Madeleine is at risk of dieing and they agree Bond can't escape his past and go their separate ways again. She marries someone else and has a child. Protecting both Madeleine and child is the hook Leiter uses to get Bond out of retirement. Then there is a showdown in Norway where she now lives with her family. Makes sense of the unflashy Toyota, without a flash back scene.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Maybe Bond only caught a clone of Blofeld in SP ? The real one is still out there.

That would be a bit Diamonds Are Forever.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m not crazy about the idea of cloning being a plot element, but the Bond films have frequently been a step ahead when it comes to technology. Cloning may seem like science fiction but it’s not; the cloning of animals is done frequently and human cloning is absolutely in our grasp, if it hasn’t already been done.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’m not crazy about the idea of cloning being a plot element, but the Bond films have frequently been a step ahead when it comes to technology. Cloning may seem like science fiction but it’s not; the cloning of animals is done frequently and human cloning is absolutely in our grasp, if it hasn’t already been done.

I agree @talos7, whilst cloning may seem a little too far fetched. The reality is that it's not. DNA replacement therapy in DAD was far fetched. But cloning is something well within the realms of plausibility. Should a shadowy, villainous organisation get there hands on the ability to clone for whatever reason, it would be a scary thought.
    The possible inclusion of Porton Down to the story, also gives it a potential dark and mysterious edge. I wouldn't be against a cloning plot.
    Looks like my cloning theory has people putting on their thinking caps haha !!
    Benny wrote: »

I agree @talos7, whilst cloning may seem a little too far fetched. The reality is that it's not. DNA replacement therapy in DAD was far fetched. But cloning is something well within the realms of plausibility. Should a shadowy, villainous organisation get there hands on the ability to clone for whatever reason, it would be a scary thought.
    The possible inclusion of Porton Down to the story, also gives it a potential dark and mysterious edge. I wouldn't be against a cloning plot.

Good points...
    Getafix wrote: »
    Maybe Bond only caught a clone of Blofeld in SP ? The real one is still out there.

I know you're joking but I was about to ponder whether Malek's character is some kind of Blofeld clone? An early experiment gone wrong perhaps? Not really the territory I want them exploring but in a way as long as it's deftly handled, these plot elements are not soooo important. It's when they jar or don't make sense that I find it annoying. As long as stuff makes internal logical sense within the film, and the script and actors can carry it , that's all that matters really.

Way too far into scifi.

I agree. I think, if Malek's character is experimenting with human cloning, it will be handled in a smart and realistic way. We won't be back in MR or DAD territory; they will make it fit with Craig's Bond. I love The Boys from Brazil, both the film and the Ira Levin novel, and, even though that was way back in the '70's, the filmmakers approached the cloning premise in a very sure footed, scary and (within context) plausible way.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I know you're joking but I was about to ponder whether Malek's character is some kind of Blofeld clone? An early experiment gone wrong perhaps? Not really the territory I want them exploring but in a way as long as it's deftly handled, these plot elements are not soooo important. It's when they jar or don't make sense that I find it annoying. As long as stuff makes internal logical sense within the film, and the script and actors can carry it , that's all that matters really.

Way too far into scifi.

Or is it science fact that just doesn’t fit Bond?

Way too far into scifi.

Bond has dealt with science fact/fiction from the beginning, in both the novels and the films, like DN (novel and film), YOLT (film only), DAF (film only), TMWTGG (film only), TSWLM (film only, creating an underwater civilisation !!!), MR (novel, plausible, and film, less plausible), GE, DAD. Genetic engineering is very real and very now.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Way too far into scifi.

Bond has dealt with science fact/fiction from the beginning, in both the novels and the films, like DN (novel and film), YOLT (film only), DAF (film only), TMWTGG (film only), TSWLM (film only, creating an underwater civilisation !!!), MR (novel, plausible, and film, less plausible), GE, DAD. Genetic engineering is very real and very now.

Very good points.

• RC7RC7
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,512
    I may have misread, I’ve been very busy and haven’t paid as much attention to news as I would normally, but wasn’t the phrase that was used ‘Genetic Warfare’?

I’m no scientist, but it doesn’t immediately lead me to ‘cloning’. I always thought it was a more theoretical science, whereby (for example) DNA is engineered for resistance, or vice-versa, certain genetic makeups can be targeted by engineered viruses (again, for example). There were some wacky ideas back in the day about targeting specific races and groups using these techniques.

Colour me sceptical on the clone front, for now.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I may have misread, I’ve been very busy and haven’t paid as much attention to news as I would normally, but wasn’t the phrase that was used ‘Genetic Warfare’?

I’m no scientist, but it doesn’t immediately lead me to ‘cloning’. I always thought it was a more theoretical science, whereby (for example) DNA is engineered for resistance, or vice-versa, certain genetic makeups can be targeted by engineered viruses (again, for example). There were some wacky ideas back in the day about targeting specific races and groups using these techniques.

Colour me sceptical on the clone front, for now. [/quote)

Yes, that's a good point, but I can't help feel the girl, who is meant to resemble a young Swann, has some significant and dramatic meaning, and, like you, I don't think she's her daughter, and the Norway shoot seems (perhaps?) to push us away from the flashback theory. Clones have identical genetic makeup, but that could then be tampered with for a specific purpose, so there might be some connection regarding developing DNA resistance or fatal vulnerability to engineered viruses, or perhaps both.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,160
    This has to be the longest Bond film ever if they have the time for flashbacks and globetrotting like they are.
    QoS had Italy, The Caribbean, Austria, South America and Russia. Total runtime including endcredits: 106 minutes. SF had Turkey, Britain and China and was 143 minutes long.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

That is basically the villains plan in 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare'.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Knowing that Cary likes video games... :)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Pavlo wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Knowing that Cary likes video games... :)

He could have been playing it for research purposes. Though that particular campaign wouldn't have taken three hours, not that I played it on expert mode.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Good news - and a fresh voice, so to speak. Based on his previous work, I am confident we get a decent upgrade from SP in the music department, too.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    antovolk wrote: »

Cary's choice definitely. It is huge step forward for Dan as he has never worked on such projects before.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    I really glad to hear about hiring Dan Romer as it indicates that Cary has some creative freedom and his auter's mark on B25 will be felt.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400

Utterly adored his score for Beasts. Which even got singled out by Mark Kermode in his review of that film.

The score for Beasts was so unexpected and defied expectations. It was haunting and atmospheric. I have no doubt that Romer an do scale and bombast. He's also a songwriter and worked with numerous artists in the charts.

He's in LA at the moment y the looks of things:
    He has worked with Cary 3 times I think,so this should be a good partnership.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I’m still not convinced it’s a young Madeleine. Firstly, Malek was on set in Norway and I have trouble reconciling him being in a flashback.

Why is that? We've touched on it quite a bit above. If this is a flashback that shows events that occurred in the late 90's, Malek's character would be roughly 20 years old. If you look at pictures of him through the years, he looks virtually the same at nearly 40.

It doesn’t add up to me. Especially given the pursuit we’ve seen. Like you say, Occam’s Razor.

Malek's character is, as far as we can make out from the few details we have, exploiting illegal genetic experiments and I suspect the girl (the Madeleine look-a-like) has something to do with that - after all it seems the child is the target in the ice-lake house assault. Just a guess, but I don't think, like RC7, she's Swann's daughter, but they cast a young girl to resemble her... join the dots.

So, SPECTRE gets its hands on cloning technology and they decide to use it to clone...Madeleine Swann?
    Dan Romer. Not impressed at all. From the article: "He could be as bold as Fukunaga allows, experimenting with strange sounds and quirky, eclectic unpredictability."

Was hoping for a classic Bondian score, and Arnold back, but I guess I'll have to settle with Eric Serra II and his experiments.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Good news! A fresher take on the score is what a Fukunaga Bond movie deserves.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

This was a plot point in the latest series of Designated Survivor, too. It wasn't developed all too well but the idea of a variation on something like Smallpox being created to target a specific ethnicity is quite terrifying and would be a great villain plan.

If Romer's the man, then I really look forward to hearing what he comes up with. Nothing of his that I have heard so far screams Bond, so this will be a very interesting score.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Having said that, he never worked on something like this before, so let's hope the result won't be a Serra (garbage) volume 2.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Confirmation?

3slwhG5.jpg