No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If I didn't know better I'd think some of us want to read negativity into every aspect of this production.

Yes it has had a bumpy ride but things seem to be getting on an even keel now so lets just enjoy the ride, my vibes are despite the issues this is going to be one for the ages and a swansong that caps off this era with some real class.
    Cuts and bruises:
    15043802-0-Daniel_Craig_was_seen_with_cuts_and_scratches_on_his_face_which_-a-9_1561135210533.jpg
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Cuts and bruises:
    15043802-0-Daniel_Craig_was_seen_with_cuts_and_scratches_on_his_face_which_-a-9_1561135210533.jpg

It’s a somewhat small detail but I’m really happy to see this. Reminds me of the CR/QoS style when we saw a lot more of Bond’s physical injuries, which to me was a part of what defined Craig’s Bond. With SF and SP it kind of went away.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    Daniel Craig aka THE BOND WHO BLEEDS...
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,400
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Cuts and bruises:

It’s a somewhat small detail but I’m really happy to see this. Reminds me of the CR/QoS style when we saw a lot more of Bond’s physical injuries, which to me was a part of what defined Craig’s Bond. With SF and SP it kind of went away.

Agreed.

It's only a subtle thing but it really establishes his humanity and fallibility. In fact, I think it was something that Daniel Craig and Martin Campbell wanted to do with the character. Also, scars are cool.

Another thing, I suspect filming may be taking place in London over weekends. When they were filming SF and SP in the city. I guess because the city is practically deserted on a weekend compared to central.

Has anyone seen those yellow crew signs around London recently? I have not.

Also, Dali Bensallah is at Paris Fashion Week. His look seems very similar to Rami's. He's a very handsome man.
    Charles was more excited about meeting Ralph Fiennes than about anything else. :)) No wonder he ignored Fukunaga!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Charles was more excited about meeting Ralph Fiennes than about anything else. :)) No wonder he ignored Fukunaga!

And a set visit from a member of the British Royal family and the heir to the throne, creating positive World news is bad for Bond 25 how?
    If anything the set visit from Charles just confirms that Bond 25 is not only on track, but also under good leadership from both Fukunaga and EON.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Benny wrote: »

And a set visit from a member of the British Royal family and the heir to the throne, creating positive World news is bad for Bond 25 how?
    If anything the set visit from Charles just confirms that Bond 25 is not only on track, but also under good leadership from both Fukunaga and EON.

+1

Across the board it was a positive visit.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I still feel there's a chance Malek and Benssalah's characters may be related. They look so alike.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,272
    Or maybe Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd like characters – only with Malek in the main bad guy part? :-?

Where did I even imply it was bad for Bond 25???
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,400

Where did I even imply it was bad for Bond 25???

It was very good publicity. Mainly because the red-wing tabloids (the exact publications who are attacking the production on the regular) are all unabashedly royalists. So this was great timing by all involved. Both the Sun and the Daily Mail were supportive of the production as a result.

The thing that has me concerned in hindsight is how much the sets and costumes looked like a hangover from the Sam Mendes days. I'd be gutted if Cary essentially does a Sam Mendes impersonation behind the camera. I need him to inject some more irreverent and subversive energy.

I don't want a Sam Mendes tribute act. We already have two films from him.
    The thing that has me concerned in hindsight is how much the sets and costumes looked like a hangover from the Sam Mendes days. I'd be gutted if Cary essentially does a Sam Mendes impersonation behind the camera. I need him to inject some more irreverent and subversive energy.

Do hope that's just them (EON/Fukunaga) wanting to carry on some continuity as far as the MI6 sets goes. Would hate if Bond 25 turns into a Mendes 2.0 or Mendes light kind of film.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Ralph+Fiennes+Prince+Wales+Visits+James+Bond+CDw4DWyr2Oel.jpg

paul-nash-battle-of-germany.jpg

The painting hanging on the wall is the 'Battle of Germany' by Paul Nash (1944).

Google Arts and Culture describes the painting as:

"The moment of the picture is when the city, lying under the uncertain light of the moon, awaits the blow at its heart. In the background, a gigantic column of smoke arises from the recent destruction of an outlying factory which is still fiercely burning. These two objects pillar and moon seem to threaten the city no less than the flights of bombers even now towering in the red sky. The moon's illumination reveals the form of the city but with the smoke pillar's increasing height and width, throws also its largening shadow nearer and nearer. In contrast to the suspense of the waiting city under the quiet though baleful moon, the other half of the picture shows the opening of the bombardment."
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Nothing points to Cary aping Mendes ; the use of established sets , or even elements, is no indication of Mendes 2.0
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm personally glad to see the same sets. It always bugged me when the films would have a different MI6 look in each film. I like the consistency.
    Also MI6 from goldeneye now looks incredibly dated. I think interiors like this adds a massive touch of class.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 12,257
    I have full confidence Cary will bring a style all his own and not give us another Mendes-esque entry. I think all there is to see here is basic continuity with the actors and setting, which doesn’t mean the style/tone will be identical to SF or SP.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I still feel there's a chance Malek and Benssalah's characters may be related. They look so alike.

This could be interesting to the story if so. Maybe brothers? We really don’t have that many story or character details yet. I wonder if SPECTRE is going to be back?
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am super-excited about all of this. Great to see the more-than-stunning Naomie back (what a beauty and good actress she is), Daniel looking fabulous and I am truly a fan of Fiennes as M even of course Judi Dench was awesome as well. Very good news here.

Do hope that's just them (EON/Fukunaga) wanting to carry on some continuity as far as the MI6 sets goes. Would hate if Bond 25 turns into a Mendes 2.0 or Mendes light kind of film.
    Everything is possible These days, but I very much doubt that we´ll get Mendes 2.0. Fukunaga´s directing style is just not like Mendes at all.
    Perhaps he just didn´t deem it necessary to impose his ego in the manner of new Management changing every procedure in the company. Perhaps he doesn´t have the Need to hide lack of ideas behind yet another new Office interior.
    The way he appears in those Fotos from the Royal visit, he knows what to Focus on.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ralph+Fiennes+Prince+Wales+Visits+James+Bond+CDw4DWyr2Oel.jpg

"What? Was that the ladies bathroom, you say? I really didn t notice. Ahehe..he.."
    Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. The new bond car. Apparently then we will feature 3x Aston’s in Bond 25.
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/movies/aston-martin-valhalla-next-james-bond-film?fbclid=IwAR2Abw78JM-wDX-bE6dQdwQ7CnjfLshSr3W8s9D1DDWc0yx54leN9PAgPK0
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    LBVa4pT.jpg

A clearer look at Bonds visitor pass.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Do we reckon this is the scene in which Bond's 007 status is reinstated?
    @Pierce2Daniel I love that the MI6 set looks the same as it did in the Mendes era. I always hated it when they redesigned MI6 in every single film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who is the man in the middle?
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,677
    @Pierce2Daniel I love that the MI6 set looks the same as it did in the Mendes era. I always hated it when they redesigned MI6 in every single film.

Yes, this is the sort of continuity I like. A lot.

On a different note, I wish they'd kept Ralph's M wearing suspenders. They suited the character. And I'm shocked at how old he looks now. He doesn't look 56, he looks older, much older. Love is briefcase, though, must get me one of those.

Also not mad about Bond's blue tie not being a knitted one, or a tad darker. And I dislike that tie pin.

Those are my fanboy nitpicks. Cause everything else is perfect, IMO. Even the painting above M's desk is straight out of TLD. Take a look:

I might remember wrong, but didn't Bond wear a tie pin in LALD (the novel)? I also seem to remember something about him fitting in, but I can't be sure.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,677
    I might remember wrong, but didn't Bond wear a tie pin in LALD (the novel)? I also seem to remember something about him fitting in, but I can't be sure.

Yes, I think he did, and for that specific purpose, I think. Can't really remember as LALD is not one of my favourite novels. Only read it once, back in the day.
    Univex wrote: »

Yes, I think he did, and for that specific purpose, I think. Can't really remember as LALD is not one of my favourite novels. Only read it once, back in the day.

It's one of my favourites, but it's been a loooong time since I've read it. I only think it was mentioned briefly (why he decided on wearing the tie pin).