What if daniel craig had been in die another day?

Post thoughts

Comments

• Think it would have been a bad start to his tenure, would not have worked being a new Bond with so many references to the past.
  • Not even Laurence Olivier could have made DAD work.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, for a man who still had to be persuaded into accepting the role after he won it and seeig the script to CR, it's fair to say that Craig being in DAD just never would have happened and for the sake of argument if it did happen, then DAD would have been a completely different movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He kinda was and it still was mediocre.
    A game and a movie are two very different vehicles not to mention the fact that Craig had nothing to do with Legends at all other than his likeness being used.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2014 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote: »
    A game and a movie are two very different vehicles not to mention the fact that Craig had nothing to do with Legends at all other than his likeness being used.

I think he was just having a bit of fun.

I've always thought DAD would have made a great Roger era movie, sandwiched between TSLWM and MR. Imagine the Ice Palace designed by Ken Adam and the Esprit on ice. Oh, and Rog in a hovercraft...

2ldhlit.jpg
  • Great,great picture!
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Great,great picture!

I started doing a poster, I'll hopefully find some time to finish it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

I think he was just having a bit of fun

I know. I was just saying is all. :-)

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPNvUWhLTnTPuD9xsIYFjs1nOSZwZCTl9yRn-ODv4SsPHt3gDt
    Then for both count: Second- Always have escape plan.

Daniel-Craig-in-Skyfall-Atop-Train.jpg
    Train scene in Skyfal who already look to much on Hovercraft scene of DAD.

movies_love_is_the_devil_still.jpg
    Bond at hotel after he cleaned and shaved

1d49ef2bec8d5e19bff1cf968bf54ea0.jpg
    Cuba

007_Legends.jpg
    VR Scene with R/Q

2.jpg
    Bond and Moneypenny Vr Scene.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Thanks for the very, err, random pictures, @M_Balje!
    Their would have been no Iceberg parasurfing sequence for a start! X_X
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    RC7 wrote:
    2ldhlit.jpg
    Brilliant!
    =D>
    pachazo wrote: »
    RC7 wrote:
    2ldhlit.jpg
    Brilliant!
    =D>

Have to agree that is pretty impressive! =D>
    He couldn't save "SKYFALL". I doubt he could have saved that Iceland sequence in "DIE ANOTHER DAY".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Great,great picture!

I started doing a poster, I'll hopefully find some time to finish it.

Finished it yet?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In answer to the original thread question, It wouldn't have worked. Brosnan did the best he could and salvaged the film. Craig couldn't have carried it imho.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It would have been reworked. DAD just wouldn't exist in its current form with Craig, who'd probably bring the darker elements of the film up to the light a bit (or a lot) more. It might've ended up being something like QoS, but with more consistency and less terrible cutting (perhaps made up for by terrible CGI, but with Craig there I doubt there'd be invisible cars and parasurfing).
    It would have been reworked. DAD just wouldn't exist in its current form with Craig, who'd probably bring the darker elements of the film up to the light a bit (or a lot) more. It might've ended up being something like QoS, but with more consistency and less terrible cutting (perhaps made up for by terrible CGI, but with Craig there I doubt there'd be invisible cars and parasurfing).
    Fair enough. My point is more that I don't think Craig could have carried DAD (as it exists) as well Brosnan. In fact, Brozza should be given an award for holding that film together.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @bondjames - On rewatches, I do concur that Brosnan is the best thing about DAD. His best performance since GE (or perhaps even better, but it's too easily overshadowed by the mess of everything else).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    With no changes to DAD-- DC would have been a fail.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    With no changes to DAD-- DC would have been a fail.

This. No way Craig could've pulled this movie off properly.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Exactly. Craig couldn't come close to doing the character justice in DAD. However, as stated above, the last half of this movie seemed more like a Moore Bond film than a Brosnan one. In the Moore era this movie would've been better received.
    However, as stated above, the last half of this movie seemed more like a Moore Bond film than a Brosnan one. In the Moore era this movie would've been better received.
    I disagree. I think Moore would have been sacked with cause if he had starred in this film, much as I'm coming around to it. This is a pseudo spoof of Bond, and Moore never starred in anything like that.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There isn't much difference between a Moore:Bond film and a Brosnan:Bond film. Brosnan was more adept in the fights.... that's about it really. This would have been more obvious if Brosnan had been cast in TLD back in 1987.

If Craig had been in DAD, it would have turned out worse. Cheesy puns and OTT action were par for the course in the Brosnan era, and DAD was the natural evolution in the direction the films were taking from 1995 on. A proper gunbarrel opening the film and the Bond theme used throughout.. no, DAD just isn't a Craig:Bond kind of film.
  • Craig would have nailed the North Korea scenes but to be honest, Brosnan is the only Bond I can see working in Die Another Day.

Moore was great at making the ridiculous believeable and the film does eventually turn into a Roger Moore film but could he sell the North Korea stuff and the anger afterwards? He's a much better actor than people give him credit for but I don't think so. He didn't like the violent and intense side of Bond. I certainly can't imagine him trying to shoot Miranda in the head point blank, that probably would have been vetoed for a start.

Dalton and Craig, both could have done brilliantly with the North Korea scenes and the aftermath but neither one of them could sell the horrible one liners and make you go along with it despite how ridiculous the film becomes.

Connery probably would have phoned it in as he always seemed to do when he felt the script was beneath him/overly gadget focused.

Lazenby was a very human, vulnerable Bond, probably the closest to Fleming's Bond. With that in mind I can't see him selling the OTT stuff and the Moore tribute act bits. He was never any good at one liners and without Peter Hunt, would he be a strong enough actor to do the North Korea scenes justice? Brilliant in OHMSS and should have done more films but can't see him working in this one.

Brosnan anchors DAD in a way no other Bond could imo. Beer gut aside he sells the North Korea scenes and any of the intense/anger driven scenes in the aftermath to perfection. He looks genuinely scared that he's about to die during the exchange. He really sells the angry vengeance driven side when he confronts Zao in the hospital. Of course the film isn't really gritty, but he manages to pull off the one liners and make you go along with the ridiculousness of it all too, and it's probably his most confident performance as Bond. He was always suave but he really seems to nail it here, it was all second nature to him by this point. DAD is one of, if not the most tonally jarring film of the series (e.g. a North Korean Colonel executing his own dad followed by a fight with a robo suit) but Brosnan somehow manages to give a performance that feels consistent despite that. I think part of the reason many fans don't see Brosnan as deserving better is because he isn't a bright spot in a sea of shit DAD in the way Dalton or Craig would be. The script doesn't seem to be doing him a disservice and it doesn't seem to be beneath him because he actually, by some miracle, pulls it off. He carries the whole film in a way no other Bond could, not only nailing every scene despite the constantly changing tone but also not letting that inconsistent tone affect his performance. The script has Bond angry and revenge driven one minute and cringily chatting up Jinx the next but Brosnan manages to make it feel natural rather than it seeming like two different characters.

I can't imagine another Bond in DAD because it wouldn't work. I once read a review that had an interesting theory: part of the reason the Brosnan era is seen as average to many is because he was too good a fit. The other actors all got scripts that played to their strengths. But Brosnan is probably the most rounded Bond of all (Connery would be a close second but he never had the emotional vulnerability of Brosnan, and Craig just isn't as good at the cocky playboy one liner side). Bond as a character never got that much of a look in because Brosnan would do a good job regardless. Call his Bond generic/unoriginal if you like (personally I think there's a lot to set him apart if you look a bit closer) but none of the others could have played the character the way he did. He always had to do a bit of everything and he did it brilliantly.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Brosnan had a good time with it, and I think DIE ANOTHER DAY wouldn't work well with any new actor as Bond.
    Then again, presented the same way with a new actor in the role would I criticize it for playing too hard and going too far to please the audience? Maybe not. At the time and considering the 80s and 90s, I'd probably mostly accept it in stride as the latest slightly new direction. That's what they did back then.