OO7 as Antihero (and what some recent audiences fail to appreciate)

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    @haserot. I think that's kind of what Ian Fleming said, that Bond was neither a good nor bad guy. Funnily enough I remember disagreeing with Dalton when he said that Bond was "just as bad as they are". I suppose what he meant is he COULD be as bad as they are given different circumstances.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    Why oh why did the rest of that film have to be crap :(
  • Your point being that we always disagree.

Very true,but I back my arguments with facts (I.e. lines from the books,interviews of Fleming,scenes from the old movies or simply good old logic) while you just use wishful thinking. Remember when you mentioned you could see Connery in the Severigne execution scene and I pointed out Seans reactions about the death of the Masterson girls? You never gave an answer to that,but I don't remember you ever repeating that claim, so I guess even you saw some merit in my point.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pssssst, Matt, your superiority complex is showing...
    :))
    The tern "anti hero" would apply more if Red Grant, Scaramanga, Draco or Alec Trevelyan got their own spin off film.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 7,570
    timmer wrote: »

re pussy in the barn.There is nothing even remotely resembling rape going on with Pussy in the barn. An understanding of the male female mating ritual is required I guess. Ergo, Bond and Pussy were flirting since the moment they first met on the plane..
    In the barn Bond did what guys do when they see their opportunity with a woman they have been openly and reciprocally flirting with. He attempted to kiss her as conclusion to a friendly fight. His pressing down was consistent with the fighting that they had engaged in. Her initial resistance is also consistent with the fighting. Its also consistent with a natural female tendency to not appear to be too eager. This is the male female dance.
    However unlike an actual rape victim, Pussy succumbed and fully engaged the moment. Their seduction ritual had come full circle. They live happily ever after, ie she helps Bond save the gold and put the bastard GF away.
    Why does this even need explaining? Its all so obvious. Movie audiences have been enjoying the scene for 50 years.

I'm not sure I totally agree with you there @timmer. I can see your point and understand your explanation, but I don't agree that Bond and Pussy were flirting from the moment they met. Bond was, but Pussy gave little if anything away, and it's only Bond's cockiness and self belief that kept him interested.

In the barn after they had their 'fight' Bond forces himself down on Pussy, and I mean forced. He ignored her obvious resistance and through gritted teeth forced himself down on her. Now, ultimately she crumbled and participated but in normal, real life if a man forces himself on a girl and meets that kind of initial resistance it could be interpreted as rape.

This was 1964, things were different, but I don't know how anyone could condone Bond's approach and call it playful seduction.
    NicNac wrote: »
    This was 1964, things were different, but I don't know how anyone could condone Bond's approach and call it playful seduction.
    Remember, we're not talking about two ordinary people here. An assassin & a judo master thief. She tossed Bond about, not many MEN could do that. Normal concepts do not apply IMO. And if she really wanted it to stop, a simple yell would bring armed guards in an instant. She was testing him, and he passed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Remember, we're not talking about two ordinary people here. An assassin & a judo master thief. She tossed Bond about, not many MEN could do that. Normal concepts do not apply IMO. And if she really wanted it to stop, a simple yell would bring armed guards in an instant. She was testing him, and he passed.

Absolutely - why didn't she scream if it was rape? Not like there was nobody about.

Patricia Fearing is far more distasteful. Bond basically blackmailing her into shagging her (not to mention the earlier sexual assault when he grabbed her and kissed her). To be fair she seemed up for it too but I do find Sean pretty creepy in the Shrublands scenes.
  • RC7RC7
    Pat Fearing is certainly worse, topped by the Severine scene which is unbelievably flippant given the preceding dialogue.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @Matt_Helm Why have a go at @4Ever like that? So what if she likes SF's story. There's nothing wrong with that and that isn't relevant at all. You always act like you're hard done to, you act like everyone has a go at you for not liking SF but that's really not true at all. Nobody cares about you hating SF, what they care about is the fact that at least 90% of your posts are slagging it off (even in unrelated threads like this). It gets boring to read. And I'm sure members here would like you better if you weren't such an arrogant condescending dick.

On topic, I think @chrisisall hit the nail on the head, it depends on how you define an anti hero. To me an anti hero is a heroic character, a good guy who does the right thing, but one who also does some questionable stuff and has some dark characteristics, and Bond fits that description.
    An anti-heroes to me are people like Tony Montana, Dexter Morgan, Walter White or Hannibal Lecter. Blatantly bad people who do bad things and work AGAINST the authorities. Basically they are criminals we are supposed to like.
    To ME, an anti-hero is a person that does both good & bad things and happens to end up just a bit on the good side after all is said & done.
  • @Matt_Helm Why have a go at @4Ever like that? So what if she likes SF's story. There's nothing wrong with that and that isn't relevant at all. You always act like you're hard done to, you act like everyone has a go at you for not liking SF but that's really not true at all. Nobody cares about you hating SF, what they care about is the fact that at least 90% of your posts are slagging it off (even in unrelated threads like this). It gets boring to read. And I'm sure members here would like you better if you weren't such an arrogant condescending dick.

Pardon me,but how did I go at her? If you take the burden and scroll back you'll find I didn't start mentioning SF,but only weighed in about Bonds supposed anti hero traits. My point towards 4ever was,that her finding the Severigne "business" handled tastefully was no proof, that @timmers reasoning was wrong.To strengthen my point (and to show her "we happen to disagree on everything" doesn't necessarily means I am wrong) I remembered her about our "just like Sean" discussion a few month ago. About me being arrogant,well I might be,BUT I know I am absolutely willing to admit when I am proven wrong about whatever. As long this is not the case I consider it plain wrong to withdraw my opinion, since I firmly believe,that the cleverer gives in only serves to strengthen the wrong believes. Sorry,but that's how I feel about it.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    An anti-heroes to me are people like Tony Montana, Dexter Morgan, Walter White or Hannibal Lecter. Blatantly bad people who do bad things and work AGAINST the authorities. Basically they are criminals we are supposed to like.

I think Walt started off as an anti hero but slowly became a villain as the series went on. With Tony Montana and Hannibal Lecter, I don't see them as anti heroes, just entertaining/likeable villains.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ok, I'll accept that. Bond understood that he was being tested, so he forced himself on her knowing it was a test.

I never looked at it that way, but I guess it could be right.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Matt_Helm, like you almost all of us have our frustrations about some things Bond. But most members never get attacked over those frustrations. Why? Because they drop their comments once or twice, stay away from threads which seek to appreciate that which they hate and because they leave a heated debate after having made their point.

Since 2012, you have been seeking out SF related threads, always ready to spit out the same condescending comments like acid reflux. Are you really so restless about this film? Hasn't it been enough by now? Do you really fail to see that this isn't about your opinion any more but about your dreaded compulsion to invade every bit of neutral or positive discussion concerning SF?

I don't visit every SF thread. I like SF and I also have some criticism towards SF but I made my points aeons ago and rarely do I wish to restate them. Yet only recently I stumbled upon a Thomas Newman thread, only to read your comments - again - about SF's senseless plot. This is the best sign of how incredibly focused you are on literally anything SF for the sake of giving it a big and loud sting. I don't like Kevin McClory. To imitate you, I'd have to Google search all our threads about TB, underwater action or even Ian Fleming and regurgitate my anti-McClory ramble in almost all of them. I won't. Even when NSNA is discussed, I'm not necessarily going to talk about McClory because by now people have probably read my opinion about the man often enough.

You do post in other threads too and I really appreciate much if not all of the input you have in our discussions. But SF is your Moby Dick; your desire to break its popularity has made you almost irrationally focused towards these threads. I don't believe you're always wrong about SF. I do believe, however, you're wrong about your personal mission to have all of our members publicly curse SF because that won't happen. In fact your caustic attempts only serve one purpose, which is to kill every bit of fun in almost every SF related thread people create with good intentions, whether that's your intention or not.

I wouldn't dream of taking away your free speech but this is a little bit like in real life: we're allowed to say what we want and as often as we want, but a wise man realises when to stop unless he really wants to be known as a party pooper. You'd be surprised how many of us take genuine offence in some of the things SF did or didn't do. So how come you're the only one to take so much heat? Something to think about.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Matt_Helm, like you almost all of us have our frustrations about some things Bond. But most members never get attacked over those frustrations. Why? Because they drop their comments once or twice, stay away from threads which seek to appreciate that which they hate and because they leave a heated debate after having made their point.

Since 2012, you have been seeking out SF related threads, always ready to spit out the same condescending comments like acid reflux. Are you really so restless about this film? Hasn't it been enough by now? Do you really fail to see that this isn't about your opinion any more but about your dreaded compulsion to invade every bit of neutral or positive discussion concerning SF?

I don't visit every SF thread. I like SF and I also have some criticism towards SF but I made my points aeons ago and rarely do I wish to restate them. Yet only recently I stumbled upon a Thomas Newman thread, only to read your comments - again - about SF's senseless plot. This is the best sign of how incredibly focused you are on literally anything SF for the sake of giving it a big and loud sting. I don't like Kevin McClory. To imitate you, I'd have to Google search all our threads about TB, underwater action or even Ian Fleming and regurgitate my anti-McClory ramble in almost all of them. I won't. Even when NSNA is discussed, I'm not necessarily going to talk about McClory because by now people have probably read my opinion about the man often enough.

You do post in other threads too and I really appreciate much if not all of the input you have in our discussions. But SF is your Moby Dick; your desire to break its popularity has made you almost irrationally focused towards these threads. I don't believe you're always wrong about SF. I do believe, however, you're wrong about your personal mission to have all of our members publicly curse SF because that won't happen. In fact your caustic attempts only serve one purpose, which is to kill every bit of fun in almost every SF related thread people create with good intentions, whether that's your intention or not.

I wouldn't dream of taking away your free speech but this is a little bit like in real life: we're allowed to say what we want and as often as we want, but a wise man realises when to stop unless he really wants to be known as a party pooper. You'd be surprised how many of us take genuine offence in some of the things SF did or didn't do. So how come you're the only one to take so much heat? Something to think about.

AGAIN, I originally only weighed in about Bonds claimed anti hero traits, since I (believe it or not) know (and feel) that my disdain for SF is already known to anyone. 4everBonded came in on SF and I merely pointed out,that her feelings about that movie don't change anything about how Fleming and Mr. Maibaum (together with Connery ) conceived James Bond. It's just that simple.
    Is that the same reason why SF's "senseless plot" was brought up again in a thread about Thomas Newman for Bond 24?
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Is that the same reason why SF's "senseless plot" was brought up again in a thread about Thomas Newman for Bond 24?

No. The reason was that Gustav Graves felt the need to point out the intellectual superiority of SF compared to those older,brainless Bond movies. Think of me whatever you want,but I'm Bond fan and I won't stand idly by,when someone feels like denigrating a bunch of movies,that managed to build a legend ( something I honestly feel the after the reboot flics wouldn't have been able to. And I quite like CR and especially QoS ).
    @Matt_Helm, he didn't talk about any superiority of SF. He talked about the Craig Bonds in general being more complex and multi-layered than the Brosnans. (http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/bring-thomas-newman-back-for-bond-24-appreciation-topic/p5) It's pretty hard to disagree with that.

To all else, sorry about derailing this thread. Sorry about sounding like a broken record, constantly raising the same point, again, not letting it go - passionately not letting it go.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I think Walt started off as an anti hero but slowly became a villain as the series went on. With Tony Montana and Hannibal Lecter, I don't see them as anti heroes, just entertaining/likeable villains.

But Walter White did sort of redeem himself in the end by avenging the deaths of his family members and allowing his wife to grieve for her loss too
    (giving her the co-ordinates for Hank's burial site)
    . I suppose "likeability" is the deciding factor. Do we want to see them fall or are we rooting for them in the final act? In Hannibal's or Walt's case I think we root for them when they are up against someone even worse.

For example in Silence of the Lambs I'd say its
    -Clarice (hero)
    -Hannibal (anti-hero)
    -Buffalo Bill (villain)

What about Pierce Brosnan in The Matador? I'd class him as an anti-hero.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I do feel @Matt_Helm gets a bit of a hard time round here. Probably because I agree with most of what he says. Still, while I think some of the criticism of him is unfair, I recognise there is a point beyond which slagging off SF, or Brosnan (my two personal pet hates) perhaps becomes a little repetetive. The problem is, sometimes you just can't resist getting in a little dig at them. Speaking of which, Brosnan would have really suited SF - shame they didn't bring him back DAF- style. Just his kind of movie, a sort of mash up of GE and TWINE with some DAD PTS 'realism' thrown in for good measure.

Back on topic, sort of, I wonder whether most people see @Matt_Helm as a hero or anti-hero?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @BAIN123 I would also list Vic Mackey (The Shield) as an anti-hero.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Your point being that we always disagree.

Very true,but I back my arguments with facts (I.e. lines from the books,interviews of Fleming,scenes from the old movies or simply good old logic) while you just use wishful thinking. Remember when you mentioned you could see Connery in the Severigne execution scene and I pointed out Seans reactions about the death of the Masterson girls? You never gave an answer to that,but I don't remember you ever repeating that claim, so I guess even you saw some merit in my point.

Well, I had no idea I was asked questions that needed answering. So as not to derail this thread further, please just PM me. I'll have to go look up your mention of Sean's reaction; I cannot remember it. Yes, we do seem to disagree on many things, most especially anything to do with Skyfall, apparently. That is not new. Nor is it relevant to this thread really.

I have never given much though to my exact definition of an "antihero." But it seems to me it could be someone who at first looks unlikely to be a hero and/or someone whose actions do not always follow the straight and "good" options but who does heroic things.

I rather agree with thelivingroyale's observation here: I do agree though that there is a difference between an anti hero and just a plain unlikeable character. Bond is an example of an anti hero done right. He sometimes does questionable stuff and can be pretty cold blooded and sexist but he always has charm and likeability, and he's a good person really. He's caring and he tries to do the right thing.

And timmer's, too: So call him anti-hero if you want, free world, as he's no boyscout. He frequents brothels too occasionally. But there is no denying his heroic qualities, never mind actions. The anti-hero is only ever a reluctant hero. Bond on the other hand, is motivated by heroic qualities such as honor, duty, morality.

I see Bond as basically a good person, with loyalty, honor, and moraltiy. But his job requires him to do awful things at times. He is not bad in his core. He is not a killer who just happens to do good things. He does care, he does try to do the right thing, and he is scarred from his job (it is such a heavy responsibility and the consequences are enormous), yet he does not give up.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    I thought I was going to have to weigh in here but some sterling work by Timmer has saved me from having to type paragraph after paragraph - I wholeheartedly endorse about 95% of what he has said in his intelligent and well informed posts above.

If there is one thing worse than someone who has never read any Fleming it's someone who only has the most superficial knowledge of Fleming trying to speak on topics such as this.

Second this sooo much! When I read the OP I was afraid I had to do some lengthy typing on my IPad (which indeed is not one of my strong suits).
    Thanks a lot @timmer! I mean it!!
    :)) Thanks, this is making me laugh, because when I saw the opening post, I had the same reaction as @TheWizardOfIce, ie do I really have to respond to this?
    ie owning certain ‘villainous’ qualities such as misogyny, bigotry and cold-bloodedness, and lacking certain heroic traits such as honour and a sense of morality But any one of 50 or so persons on this board, could have easily rebuffed the above. I just happened to get to it first, and with some down time on my hands.

I don't think as a community we will ever reach real consensus on the Severine seduction. Some of us are bothered more than others or not at all, and I don't think any of us are really wrong.
    But I do find it interesting as @getafix alluded to, how SF does manage to hold together and work as a very watchable, even quite a good film, despite never ending discussions on all that might be wrong with it.
    I've got lots of issues with SF, but I can't throw the whole film out. I actually do like watching it, even though its not really what I want from a Bond film.
    It works as a different kind of Bond movie.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 908
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Matt_Helm, he didn't talk about any superiority of SF. He talked about the Craig Bonds in general being more complex and multi-layered than the Brosnans. (http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/bring-thomas-newman-back-for-bond-24-appreciation-topic/p5) It's pretty hard to disagree with that.

To all else, sorry about derailing this thread. Sorry about sounding like a broken record, constantly raising the same point, again, not letting it go - passionately not letting it go.

Just for the record, this is how my exchange with Gustav Graves started:

Gustav_Graves:
    Well, I didn't hear "M" citing a complete poem in GE. Nor did I hear "M" explaining the importance of secret intelligence services as opposed to Richard Snowden's, Julian Assange's WikiLeaks scandal.
    (I really wonder what movie he's talking about)

Me:
    Well,maybe it is because the Bonds of yesteryear didn't feel the need to PRETEND they were intellectual. Probably that's the main reason why they didn't feel as pseudo as ...You know.

Gustav:
    Yes, they were, as you call it, less "intellectual". They were indeed slightly more "brainless". They were chewing the popcorn for us, so to say .

and so on...
    I am absolutely willing to leave it with that, but still James Bond has just about nothing in common with an anti hero and to the best of my recollection Fleming referred to him in several interviews as a white knight, which should give us a clear idea how he saw him.
    Btw the OP also mentioned Phillip Marlowe as an anti hero,which is as absurd as it gets. This guy even refused to get paid in almost every single book (one more reason why Hammetts Continental Op is the much more realistic protagonist. Apart from Hammett being the better writer anyway,of course.)
  • I suspect this discussion could benefit from some reasonable definition of the term, “antihero.” To the best of my knowledge, no actual dictionary has attempted any such definition; and since fools rush in, allow me to attempt to provide the needed definition.

Just as the term implies, an antihero is the opposite of a hero, that is: he is a villain…but because of the way he is presented to the audience, the antihero gains our sympathy…to the point that the audience finds itself rooting for a character whose actual goals we find abhorrent.

The antihero is a character of fiction. Because we can dissociate our rooting for a fictional evildoer with any blame for the consequences of his violent, antisocial actions, we are able to see matters from a different perspective than the one we would normally take were that villain, and his actions, real. We can see things from the point of view of that villain…and if he is presented as sufficiently charming, or relatable, then we can find ourselves hoping that good things happen to him; that he will, in some fashion, “win.”

In live action media, consider the character of Tony Soprano from “The Sopranos.” He is a criminal; a mob boss, in fact. We see him kill some people personally; we know that he orders the deaths of various others. He profits from robbery, drug dealing and prostitution; he is a thug for life, a villain, and we know this to be true. Nonetheless, he has our sympathy. We see him dealing with his wife and children; with his mother and his uncle and his sister, we have some awareness of his childhood and the various traumas he has suffered…and amazingly, we come to sympathize with this depraved character. Tony is the focal point of the story we are being shown but he is by no means its hero. He is an antihero.

In the world of comic books, one of the most interesting antiheroes I can name is one of Marvel’s earliest characters: Prince Namor, the SubMariner. The prince of Atlantis, Namor is the halfbreed offspring of a human male and a mermaid princess. His divided loyalties…and his undisguised sense of nobility… make for a character who can play either side of the moral street: he fought the Nazis alongside Captain America and the Human Torch in World War II, and he also has tried to make war against the surface world and destroy New York City more times than I can count. He has battled both alongside and against The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and every other hero in the Marvel pantheon nearly incessantly since his creation in 1939. He is not exactly a hero and not exactly a villain; most recently (as of this writing) he saved our world and indeed, our entire universe by destroying another, alternate universe, and you’d better believe that Tony Stark and Reed Richards and the other upright heroes of Marvel are plenty PO’s at him for doing so! Namor is an antihero if ever there was one…and I assure you, James Bond is nothing like him!

If you think for a moment that Bond’s foibles…his alcoholism, his nearly obsessive pursuit of sexual conquest, and his charmingly outdated support of a faded empire…make him the equal of either Tony Soprano or Prince Namor, you really need to reconsider your position here. Bond only kills people who are themselves killers, moreover he does so on the orders of his superiors and is essentially just another soldier (albeit one who is fighting a series of undeclared wars, armed outrageously by a black budgeted bureaucracy.) Soprano is a flat out gangster who is fighting burnout and emotional breakdown over the life he has lived. Namor is an arrogant elitist who believes that his royal birthright and incomparable physical power simply make him superior to anyone else, but every now and then he’ll do the correct and noble thing just because the adoration of the masses requires it. Those two are antiheroes; Bond is just a flawed guy trying to do the right thing, save the world, and get laid by the end of the movie. That makes him something of a hero in MY book…
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    See I would never consider Tony Soprano an anti-hero. I just have a slightly different definition than you, dear Beatles. :)>- I don't believe an anti-hero needs to be a villain; just a very unlikely hero.