Pierce Brosnan could have become Batman after missing out on James Bond

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
in News Posts: 1,380
A couple of years after he had to bail out of playing James Bond due to NBC renewing his Remington Steele contract at the last minute in 1986, Pierce Brosnan could have become a very different iconic character.

In his Ask Me Anything session today, Brosnan admitted that he had discussions with Tim Burton on becoming Batman for the 1989 film after being approached by the director.

Brosnan explained: "I went and met with Tim Burton for the role of Batman. But I just couldn't really take it seriously, any man who wears his underpants outside his pants just cannot be taken seriously. That was my foolish take on it. It was a joke, I thought. But how wrong was I?"

"Don't get me wrong, because I love Batman, and I grew up on Batman. As a kid in Ireland, we used to get our raincoats and tie them round our neck and swing through the bicycle shed..."

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    "What are you, man?"
    "I'm Batman, and I'm going afterrrrr you!"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Batman_is_shocked.jpg
    "Then maybe you shouldn't be living HEERRRREEEEE."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    "Hi Batman, I'm Freeze."
    "That's a name to chill for."
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    "Hi Batman, I'm Freeze."
    "That's a name to chill for."

:)) =))
  • I've just read the full AMA. Brosnan seems like a really nice down to earth bloke. He said he still has the Vanquish from Die Another Day and he thinks Craig is really good as Bond. He said Goldeneye was his favourite of his films but Goldfinger is his favourite Bond film.

The best bit though was when somebody asked him "how would Bond take out Jason Bourne?"

Brosnan's answer: "With one bullet" :))

Here's the full thing

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e3av7/pierce_brosnan_keep_it_simple_actor_activist/

I need to see a Brozza Batman pain face please!!!!! I know their are alot of talented creative people on here! Let the competition begin!!!! :-bd ;)
    Oh yes, PLEASE!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I've just read the full AMA. Brosnan seems like a really nice down to earth bloke. He said he still has the Vanquish from Die Another Day and he thinks Craig is really good as Bond. He said Goldeneye was his favourite of his films but Goldfinger is his favourite Bond film.

The best bit though was when somebody asked him "how would Bond take out Jason Bourne?"

Here's the full thing

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e3av7/pierce_brosnan_keep_it_simple_actor_activist/

Very nice! And I love the "With one bullet" answer. B-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Very interesting news indeed - would never have thought it!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,416
    Pierce Brosnan made his first Batman movie: Return of Joker, 6 years after Batman & Robin..

Batman: So you lived to Die Another Day, ... Joker...

I thought that one of the responses, posted by "digital", to that answer was hilarious as well.

Had he played Batman, people may have been more enthusiastic about his casting than Keaton's. Not sure how he would have fit in Burton's movies, but he certainly looked the part.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,813
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I need to see a Brozza Batman pain face please!!!!! I know their are alot of talented creative people on here! Let the competition begin!!!! :-bd ;)

Hee hee- you know I love my photoshops! Here's a few I threw together.

At first glance he definitely has the look

pierce_zps4bba4b07.jpg

But remember, Batman has to talk..... I love the guy, but Brosnan has a bit of a feminine voice, and the thought of him trying to 'toughen it up', or to the gravelly whisper that Keaton did would have been laughable on screen. As Bruce Wayne, one wonders what he would have done about that accent of his: would he have been himself, or tried to 'Amercanize' it? Has Brosnan ever changed his accent on film? I can't think of an example but please let me know if I'm missing one.

Brosnan also is no stranger to over-acting:

"You wanna get nuts?? COME ON. Let's get nuts!!"

nuts_zps6faa90ba.jpg

And as promised, that disturbing pain face would have likely popped up somewhere:

pierce1_zps3add10f5.jpg

^ lol
    So when all's said and done, I'm happy with Keaton! Plus I really doubt Brosnan would have been Bond if he was Batman first. Look at all the countless discussions on this very board about 'Bale was Batman, he'll never be Bond now' and 'Cavill was Superman, he'll never be Bond now!' I'm sure it would have been the same with Broz.
    :)) :) :)) :))
    I doubt he'd have been Bond too, had he player Batman. He'd have make a good Bruce Wayne, not so sure about Batman.
    That final pain face pic is superb! =D> :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Those are funny, Master_Dahark!
    But I have to disagree on Pierce's voice - in no way does he sound feminine to me. Ever, actually.

I'm glad we had Keaton as Batman; that worked. I don't see Pierce as Batman, so quite glad Bond came his way for sure.
    Tim Burton once said about Keaton, 'he seemed like a serious guy who was just crazy enough to run around at night dressed as a bat'
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    "For Gotham, Bruce?"
    "No, for me."
    And the the Joker fell to his death, laughing.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 17,687
    "For Gotham, Bruce?"
    "No, for me."
    LOL, inspired, sir!
    :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm trying to think of a joke using Trevelyn's speech at the statue park, but all I can come up with is "While your parents had the luxury of dying in an alleyway...", and the second half eludes me.
    Those pictures are hilarious!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Batman...James Batman. ;)
    It's good he wasn't Batman as I just can't see him in the part. Bruce Wayne possibly...but not The Dark Knight. He would have been the equivalent of George Clooney.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    14994838746_3562d76b96_b.jpg

Overdosed on smiles gas!

Meant smilex gas! Predictive text gr! For some reason can't seem to edit my posts, is the option still available?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Overdosed on smiles gas!

He does look like quite the psychotic Batman, that's for sure!
    I think he would have easily pulled off Bruce Wayne. Effortlessly in fact. Batman, really not convinced, but he may have done the fights better, although the suit back then was from what I read a hindrance for the fight scenes.