The Political Spectrum-What is the Political motivation of our community

edited July 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 479
Now, I know that Politics can be a sore topic on this community, but I thought that it would be an interesting experiment to see the Political Orientation of our members, so here is the test, take it, report back, and we can find out what our community really thinks:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

I, for instance, am a Left Social Moderate Libertarian:

Left-7.04, Libertarian-1.67

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 23,561
    Quite frankly I don't think this thread can result in anything but a painful polarization among our community folks. I'm not going to close it - yet - but I won't participate either.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Quite frankly I don't think this thread can result in anything but a painful polarization among our community folks. I'm not going to close it - yet - but I won't participate either.

Fair enough, I thought I'd give it a try though, in the hope that the community could enter into well spirited debate. whilst I know this is likely daydreaming, I thought it would be good to know what our community thinks of the political landscape not just in their own countries but in the differing cultures worldwide. I do believe that 9 out of 10 people in our community could appreciate this thread and enter into the spirit without becoming personal or provocative, unfortunately there is always one, so I would understand if you were to close this thread, but let it run for a day or two first, to see how it goes.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Too bad forgotwhohewas is gone. Would love to see the results on that one.
  • RC7RC7
    Left moderate social libertarian.

Left: 3.06, Libertarian: 2.32

Not quite as lefty as you @Sammm04.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm a Democrat.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    You are a right social libertarian.
    Right: 5.87, Libertarian: 5.69
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    left social moderate.
    Left: 3.61, Authoritarian: 0.95

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well well well... I disagree with this result!

You are a left social libertarian.
    Left: 4.87, Libertarian: 4.33

I believe in killing BAD GUYS!!!
    a left social moderate.
    Left: 6.33, Authoritarian: 0.11

I am very happy that everyone has taken this seriously and is entering into the spirit. AT this moment, the makeup of the forum shows that we are mostly left wing, but that can easily change with the next couple of people.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Though this thread is doomed, I think the quiz was interesting nonetheless. My only complaint is that it was obviously written with Americans in mind.

You are a left social moderate.
    Left: 7.33, Libertarian: 0.38
    Sammm04 wrote: »
    I am very happy that everyone has taken this seriously and is entering into the spirit. AT this moment, the makeup of the forum shows that we are mostly left wing, but that can easily change with the next couple of people.

People on the Left tend to be better read and have open minds. The Right get their info from watching FOX news and listening to certain radio talking heads. [img][/img]
    Sandy wrote: »
    My only complaint is that it was obviously written with Americans in mind.
    Exactly. It places me way farther left than I should be considering the world spectrum. But then, in America, saying you want your taxes to not only cover fixing your roads but fixing your teeth too kind of makes you like Stalin. :))
    I took the test. I disagree with the result. And I suspect a trap.

chrisisall wrote: »
    Sandy wrote: »
    My only complaint is that it was obviously written with Americans in mind.
    Exactly. It places me way farther left than I should be considering the world spectrum. But then, in America, saying you want your taxes to not only cover fixing your roads but fixing your teeth too kind of makes you like Stalin. :))

I have always suspected it was that way too. I am very left wing anyway, so my result is probably correct, but I'm right on the far left near Communist which is something I never have nor ever will be. But unfortunately there aren't many tests on the internet to obtain your political position, so what can we do, the only other one I can think of is the political compass, I will post the link to that as well.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
    chrisisall wrote: »

:-?? I am Amiral Allah Akbar. What a phony test.
    Sammm04 wrote: »
    unfortunately there aren't many tests on the internet to obtain your political position, so what can we do, the only other one I can think of is the political compass, I will post the link to that as well.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
    Yikes, it's like a repeat.

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

I hit basically the same mark.
    #-o
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm a UK unionist/conservative through and through; no need to take a test to tell me that.
    Never been one for labels.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Yeah, this test (like most I've taken before it) boils down your beliefs to a point where basically if you agree with war you're Right, and if you want government regulation of corporations you're a Left.
    It's not as black & white as that.
    A Liberal by their reckoning would dislike Bond movies as depicting covert abuse of state power, and a Conservative would dislike Bond movies because of the sheer immorality & contempt for authority commonly displayed.
    Serious Bond fans (IMHO) generally exhibit eclectic and intelligent political beliefs, independent of mindless 'party line' rhetoric.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm apparently a left moderate social libertarian.
    Left: 3.39, Libertarian: 1.39

These tests are interesting and all, but I hate labels and the corralling individuals until they are only identified by their "party" and not their actual complex and differing beliefs. These tests miss a lot of the mixed beliefs we as humans have, and try to place you in just one slot when your political views in all actuality may incorporate many. For instance, you may agree that abortion is wrong on one hand, but may also be a big fan of raising taxes for the rich on the other. So are you then more conservative or liberal minded? I don't think test like this incorporate that kind of mixing well.

The idea of sorting people into just one party when their views almost seem to deny the idea of being classified at all has always puzzled me. I think parties and allegiances to parties can really suck any kind of individualism or debate from politics since you are always told to follow the word of your fellow party members and discouraged against criticizing the actions of your group or lauding those of the other party. A lack of communication and overall bipartisanship is why I am so frustrated by current American politics, and while "quizzes" like these are fun, they do contribute to part of that problem.

All these fancy text book terms like "left moderate social libertarian" don't really serve to identify us as much as they separate us into nice little opposing groups that stop us from creating any kind of meaningful discourse on important national and global issues. I'd say the real secret to successful politics would be to have a world where every group's views are respected and accounted for and there is communication between everyone of divergent views so that everyones' interests are addressed. Sadly, I don't see that happening as long as parties like the kinds we have now exist.

I don't wish to turn this into a massive rant about the world's politics or anything by the way, I just wanted to share my very young perspective on things.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 you nailed it so eloquently here, KUDOS, young man!!! =D>

Finding co-operation in a common future is more important than divisive labelling.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,629
    You are a center-left moderate social authoritarian.
    Left: 2.07, Authoritarian: 1.88

Foreign Policy:

On the left side are pacifists and anti-war activists. On the right side are those who want a strong military that intervenes around the world. You scored: -2.43

Culture:

Where are you in the culture war? On the liberal side, or the conservative side? This scale may apply more to the US than other countries. You scored: 1.56

Glad I'm not a dirty hippie.
    Kerim wrote: »
    Glad I'm not a dirty hippie.

Or a damn dirty ape.
  • Should a fan forum be a place to discuss politics ?

Because, well, I'm rather against death penalty and definitely for gun control policy, and yet I'm a fan of a franchise about a guy who uses a lot his licence to kill so... (he will prefer to jeopardize his mission rather than to run over an old lady though !)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Don't share your answers. You'll thank yourself later. :)
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Conservative across the board, resisting the liberal dystopia. :x
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I took the test it told me I was right !.
  • RC7RC7
    This has been relatively sane thus far. Those chomping at the bit to immediately derail it should perhaps look elsewhere. It will no doubt get warm maybe a little heated, but as has been pointed out, most of these labels should not be appropriated at face value. A lot of us share opinions on certain issues, while harbouring polarizing opinions on others. Nicely put @Brady.