Ryan. Jack Ryan.

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited June 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,691
What's up with this new movie, "Shadow Recruit"?
I had some minor fun watching it, but really, I would have had a WAY better time watching Quantum Of Solace or a Bourne flick. Jack Ryan is no Bond OR Bourne. To make him an action hero of the first order is to rob the character of his... err.. character.

I gotta watch Patriot Games now to clear my head of this nonsense.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've not seen Shadow Recruit. I've been joking that this movie is the reason Tom Clancy died, though, based on what I've read about it. The Sum of All Fears will always be the best Jack Ryan film.
    I've not seen Shadow Recruit. I've been joking that this movie is the reason Tom Clancy died, though, based on what I've read about it. The Sum of All Fears will always be the best Jack Ryan film.

Whatever you're smoking, I NEED some.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Whatever you're smoking, I NEED some.
    Maui Wowie, no doubt.
    B-)
    Jack Ryan was best when he was Harrison Ford
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Jack Ryan was best when he was Harrison Ford
    That is my take away as well.
    Sorry Alec, Ben & Chris. :((

Like with Tim on Bond, he made two back to back, and gave us gold.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    What's up with this new movie, "Shadow Recruit"?
    I had some minor fun watching it, but really, I would have had a WAY better time watching Quantum Of Solace or a Bourne flick. Jack Ryan is no Bond OR Bourne. To make him an action hero of the first order is to rob the character of his... err.. character.

I gotta watch Patriot Games now to clear my head of this nonsense.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't go that far. But my favourite Ryan films were the two Ford ones. Baldwin was quite good as well. Shadow Recruit was trying to be an action film, with the pace of a drama.

1. Clear And Present Danger
    2. Patriot Games
    3. The Hunt For Red October
    ---
    4. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
    5. The Sum Of All Fears
    Here in the UK, Patriot Games is on FilmFour this evening and Clear and Present Danger is on tomorrow night.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I think The Hunt for Red October is the best of all Ryan's films, although he wasn't the main character there...
    I enjoyed Red October, more because of Sean Connery's character than Jack Ryan. But I have to confess, although full of flaws I did like The Sum of all Fears.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I saw Executive Orders in a second-hand bookshop yesterday. Would anyone here recommend it?
    Ludovico wrote:
    I enjoyed Red October, more because of Sean Connery's character than Jack Ryan. But I have to confess, although full of flaws I did like The Sum of all Fears.

"We shail into hishtory". ;-)
    I haven't seeing Sum of all Fear nor Shadow Recruit and I don't have much interest on them. On the other hand, Ford is Jack Ryan and those two movies are great. Red October is more like a one-stand film with Ryan on it. It's a shame that Ford didn't do more movies (with the same quality of course).
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I watched this the other day and I didn't really care for it. It wasn't horrible but it was great either.

1) Patriot Games
    2) The Hunt For Red October
    3) Clear And Present Danger
    4) The Sum Of All Fears
    5) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Not seen the new film, reviews have put me off.

Agree with your rating @QsAssistant minus the recent film.

I only own Hunt for Red October, Connerys Russian accent is one of his best.
    Not seen Shadow recruit so will have to hold my opinion for now?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think they're all pretty good films.

Never had a major problem with The Sum of All Fears, and Shadow Recruit was solid enough. Pine could potentially be a great Ryan if they do it properly.

Clear and Present Danger will always be my personal favourite, though.
    Just watched Patriot Games last night (it's been a while) & wow, still holds up nicely. Didn't need that explosion at the end, but whatever; back then they needed the cherry on top... :))
    My Dad just reminded me that his Mom's maiden name was Ryan... I wish I'd been able to know her a bit.
    So I've re-watched Clear and Present Danger a few days ago, and now today I re-watched Red October.

Certainly the two best, but which one is THE best?

Red October has Connery, Glenn, amazing visuals, and a great final faceoff, plus Baldwin is just as good as Ford in the role...

But then CPD has one of the best performances of Ford's career, the brilliant drug characters (de Almeida especially), the political storyline which is masterfully executed, and of course, that nerve-wrackingly tense ambush sequence which is still the best scene in the whole franchise and one of the greatest action sequences ever...

I've always had CPD above Red October, but now I'm not so sure. A tie, perhaps?

5: Shadow Recruit
    4: The Sum of All Fears
    3: Patriot Games
    1: The Hunt for Red October/Clear and Present Danger
    @StirredNotShaken I like your rankings. :)>-
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm still sticking by my original statement: The Sum of All Fears is the best. Shadow Recruit sucked, save for Pine and Branagh's performances.
    Changing my rankings after re-watching Shadow Recruit:

5: The Sum of All Fears
    4: Shadow Recruit
    3: Patriot Games
    2: Clear and Present Danger
    1: The Hunt for Red October

It's difficult not to put Red October at #1. Really just a flawless film and easily one of the best films of the '90s.

You know what, I'm really pleased with Shadow Recruit. My only major issue is that they made him a bit too much of an action hero, but that can be easily fixed in the script if they do make any more (and I hope they do, because Pine is an inspired choice for Jack Ryan). I really like how they incorporated the helicopter crash, which is an essential component of Ryan's backstory. Tiny bit contrived that he meets his future wife in traction - and there are several too convenient conveniences in this film's plot - but other than that, I really enjoyed it quite a bit.

"Sum" and Affleck as Ryan both still suck, though...