Greatest martial arts films of all time.

edited May 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 6,432
Watched Way of the dragon tonight, certainly works better without the dubbing as does descend into a unintentional comedy at times when watching it dubbed. One of my favourite martial arts films simply because it has Lee and Norris on screen together, two people like many i am sure i have huge respect for, for many reasons. List your favourite martial films and reasons why?

Police story - The film that introduced me to Jackie Chan, and led me to watch his back catalog. Phenomenal ability, films such as Drunken master, Meals on wheels, Project A blew my mind as a kid. Remember watching a documentary with Chan, Samo Hung and Biao Yuen on the rigorous training they had when at Chinese opera school. Truly incredible talents with incredible ability.

Special mention to Armour of god must have watched this film hundreds of times, love the fight sequence with the Amazons. How many times Chan got injured during filming of this film is testament to his death defying nature.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Enter The Dragon
    Game Of Death (reconstructed)
    Drunken Master II
    Tai Chi Master
    Wing Chun
    Ip Man
    Who Am I?
    Armour Of God
    Way Of The Dragon
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,480
    I would say 'Police Story' and 'Enter The Dragon' are my favorites. I know it's more 'gun fu,' but 'Hard Boiled'?

Pretty much anything Jackie Chan is the best for me.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    @chrisisall The reconstructed version of Game of death is very good and illustrates if completed what a film it could have been. Just been listening to John Barrys - Set fight with Chuck Norris not a bad theme, though a few notable Bond moments in that theme though worked reasonably well in context of the put together movie.

@creasy not sure if i have seen Hard Boiled was that Chow yuen Fat? excuse bad spelling.

A film that sticks in my mind and only remembered it now, only watched it once was The praying Mantis think it was the first Martial arts film i watched.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Rapid Fire was a pretty good showcase for Brandon Lee...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Kung Fu Panda! ;)
    'Hard Boiled' is indeed Chow Yun Fat. It's one of the best action movies I've ever seen, John Woo is a master. I'm watching his film 'The Killer' right now.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Seriously, I like Chow Yun Fat. But I have only seen him in Crouching Tiger.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Rapid Fire was a pretty good showcase for Brandon...

Remember that film and also Showdown in little Toykyo with Dolph Lundgren, Brandon certainly had the charisma of his father tragic loss again with Brandon. I recall Lees daughter was a competitive fighter?

Nico at the time had a impact and watched Seagals earlier films. Remember having a huge poster of Nico on my ceiling, crikey!

@Creasy47 i have seen it though only once, think my next retrospective is revisiting Hong Kong cinema.

Not quite in the same league though have a
    soft spot for Remo unarmed and dangerous,
    the film tried though not watched it for
    twenty years.
    Seriously, I like Chow Yun Fat. But I have only seen him in Crouching Tiger.

Please watch his older films, specifically the two I mentioned by John Woo. They aren't so much martial arts, I'd say, as they are gun ballet. So many excellently choreographed bloody fight scenes. The finale in 'Hard Boiled' is about half an hour long of just pure gunfighting and explosions that are really well done, including a nice two-minute straight shot of walls being destroyed and windows being blown out as bad guy after bad guy are gunned down.
    @4EverBonded, While I LOVE Michelle Yeoh, I must be one of the few on Earth that didn't much care for Couching Tiger; Hidden Dragon.

@fire_and_ice, yeah, back in the Day Seagal had a few gems. Marked For Death had his best fight scenes IMHO. On Deadly Ground is my personal fave because of Michael Caine.
    Sorry double post.
    have a soft spot for Remo unarmed and dangerous,
    A fun film with some rather dubious martial arts, it's like a kung-fu Diamonds Are Forever-lite...
    Remember on deadly ground Michael Caines black hair :) was a good film. Trying to remember the film title he starred in with his then wife Kelly Lebrock? Was that hard to kill?

Lol the running on water and dodging bullets i remember, though they tried to do it seriously. Film had heart ill give it that. What ever happened to Fred Ward? That film i suppose preempted the eastern cinema explosion by several years.

I remember Jackie Chans first attempt at Hollywood The protector.

Forgot about marked for death, Rastafarians?
    Back to Chan think my favourite western movie he made was Rumble in the Bronx, think its the right movie the hover craft sequence was impressive. Need to revisit some of these films.
    What ever happened to Fred Ward? That film i suppose preempted the eastern cinema explosion by several years.
    Fred was in a lot of cool stuff my favourite being Chain Reaction with Keanu. Remo was 1985, well after the 70's kung fu fighting but before the nineties resurgence.

chrisisall wrote:
    What ever happened to Fred Ward? That film i suppose preempted the eastern cinema explosion by several years.
    Fred was in a lot of cool stuff my favourite being Chain Reaction with Keanu. Remo was 1985, well after the 70's kung fu fighting but before the nineties resurgence.

Also Naked gun 33 and a third, oh and forgot about tremors. The Matrix certainly brought it to another level in western culture, removing the cgi aspects. Can't help have respect for Keanu, the Chateu scene in reloaded really does emphasise the amount of training he put in, great scene.

Black Dynamite - great movie Michael Jai White kicks ass in that film, great on many levels that film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You're the best around, nothin's ever gonna take you down! - The Karate Kid.
    You're the best around, nothin's ever gonna take you down! - The Karate Kid.

Anything that promotes positive self belief is good, my mantra is bouncebackability, lovebackability and stepbackability.

The first Karate Kid film was good, never watched the remake.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The first Karate Kid film was good, never watched the remake.

You don't need to, and you will, in fact, feel better knowing that you haven't. Part of my soul died watching that film. Jackie Chan is a poor imitation of Pat Morita at best, and a downright insult all the rest of the time. And he's the best part of the remake.
    After watching Will smith son in After Earth i can imagine how bad the film is. Contemporary remakes based on the ones i have watched are souless.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Nobody says Bloodsport?? Absolutely one of the best.

From the last years, you have to see Ong-Bak and The Raid. Great.
    ggl007 wrote:

Was debating which i prefer Bloodsport or Kickboxer, think Bloodsport simply because Bolo is in it.
    Never saw or bothered to watch a martial art movie BUT, if Marvel ever produce an IRON FIST movie, I'll be the first in line to get in.
    Enter the Dragon, of course. Followed by Fist of Fury/The Chinese Connection. My third would go to Kill Bill, and fourth to The New One-Armed Swordsman.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 615
    ENTER THE DRAGON
    THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN
    MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE
    FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH
    THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN
    THE DRAGON MISSILE
    FIVE DEADLY VENOMS
    BLOOD OF THE DRAGON
    SHAOLIN VS. LAMA
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote:

Was debating which i prefer Bloodsport or Kickboxer, think Bloodsport simply because Bolo is in it.
    And a bigger and more interesting presence of different martial arts...
    ggl007 wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

And a bigger and more interesting presence of different martial arts...
    Both, found him a formidable opponent on screen.
    Others I like , are they great , not really , but I enjoy them :

Amsterdam Connection (2 rival drug gangs , one of the boss is Bolo)

Kung Fu vs Mafia (Lee Kun of Bruce Lee fame , this also takes place in Ams)

Kidnap in Rome

Ninja Strikes Back (great Rome scenery and I like the conflict between Le and Jang Lee , 2 buddies turned against each other , Sakata as the villain. Bolo should've had more screen time though)

Enter the Game of Death

Man of Iron

The Tournament (Carter Wong and Mao)

Fate of Lee Khan (Feng Tien as some kind of prominent prince who visits an inn)

One Armed Boxer (Shaw Bros was a bit bummed GH "borrowed" their "one armed" concept)

Chinese Boxer (Wang Yu and Lo Lieh)

Le's deadly fingers (cool to see Lee's "first lady" Miao in it , again Lieh as the baddie)
    Can't leave out Sonny Chiba's first turn as THE STREET FIGHTER (1974)... The very definition of a brutal anti-hero.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Raid
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I'm a massive martial art movie fan, and I'm going to vote for an obscure masterpeice, Kill Zone: S.P.L. Donnie Yen is fantastic and just watch this fight scene.