Propaganda and mockery of social issues Bond films subtlety and sometimes blatantly referenced

edited May 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 6,432
DAF - An obvious choice to start with, the reference to radiation shields and the mock moon scene. A obvious suggestion that the moon landings were fake.

Can you think of any other examples when Bond films were either supporting a ideology or blatantly poking fun at a current event relative to when the film was released?

Again i apologise if this is already a ongoing topic, search not working.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Interesting idea for a thread, @fire_and_ice.

The OP PTS had a dig at Argentina as the Falklands War had been earlier the year before the film's release in 1982. Britain had won this war and although it was a South American country it was obviously a knowing wink to the Argies.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Dragonpol wrote:

The OP PTS had a dig at Argentina as the Falklands War had been earlier the year before the film's release in 1982. Britain had won this war and although it was a South American country it was obviously a knowing wink to the Argies.

Thanks @ Dragonpol
    Dissecting Bond movies generally they promote pro capitalist ideals, dependent on how serious each film is taken, it can go unnoticed the more ludicrous the film. Though that's when films become more subversive as people are being fed propaganda without realising it.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Dragonpol wrote:

And notably the Argentinians were joke figures, though in much of Moores era anything other than British or English was caricature/stereotyping.
    great idea for a thread - love the fact that Bond can be pro or anti establishment propaganda tool or social commentator of what's going in the world when the film were made.

Will have a think and put down my illumanati conspiracy isis third eye pyramid theories soon.

thank you fire and ice, top idea.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    On a lighter note, M's description of Elliott Carver's demise is a blatant piss-take of Robert Maxwell.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    On a lighter note, M's description of Elliott Carver's demise is a blatant piss-take of Robert Maxwell.
    Spot on there Tokoloshe I've always enjoyed that piss take.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    "Did you ever ask why? Why we toppled all those dictators, undermined all those regimes, only to come home: 'Well done, good job, but sorry, old boy, everything you risked your life and limb for has changed.' "

Interesting commentary. Not damning so much as thought provoking.
    Dragonpol wrote:

But of course! Why didn't I think about it before?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dragonpol wrote:

I´ve always thought that they were alluding to Cuba (the fat bearded militar who is with the girl even smokes a big cigar...).

Remember the Millenium bug in TWINE.
    My favourite is still the line of Dr No about East and West.
    Ludovico wrote:
    My favourite is still the line of Dr No about East and West.

That's a great line. I do enjoy this aspect about Bond - some good ol satire.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,810
    Then there was the reference to the stolen Goya paining in Dr. No which Connery Bond does a double-take at.

The Afghanistan War is referenced and indeed shown in TLD and Iraq and Afghanistan get a mention in TWINE I think.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Dragonpol wrote:
    The Afghanistan War is referenced and indeed shown in TLD
    That's the film's only true mistake IMHO. Keep Bond a step or two away from actual factions. Like in QOS, they didn't go naming evil companies or anything, they created Quantum.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,979
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    The Afghanistan War is referenced and indeed shown in TLD
    That's the film's only true mistake IMHO. Keep Bond a step or two away from actual factions. Like in QOS, they didn't go naming evil companies or anything, they created Quantum.

Agreed. It's called "the graveyard of empires" for a reason. Best to steer clear, even in a Bond film.

I always chuckle at Kananga's line about "leaving myself and the phone company the only two going monopolies in this nation for years to come."

The US broke up the telephone system in 1982.
    Another few coins for the fountain:

9/11 is referenced in DAD and CR.

The Data Loss Scandals of the Gordon Brown and David Cameron Governments are referenced in the plot of Skyfall.

The Contras are mentioned as having kicked out Dario for being too crazy in LTK.

The Nazi Holocaust is referenced in Max Zorin's background in AVTAK as well as a Nazi horde of gold being mentioned by Bond in Goldfinger during the famous golf game.

The CND marchers and demonstrators are mentioned by General Orlov in Octopussy.
    Dragonpol wrote:

The OP PTS I always thought was a reference to Cuba not Argentina. The uniforms, even the Castro looking guy smoking the cigar. These folks are all dark like Cubans while Argentinians are more fair skinned.

How can anyone mistake them for Argentinians?
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

The OP PTS I always thought was a reference to Cuba not Argentina. The uniforms, even the Castro looking guy smoking the cigar. These folks are all dark like Cubans while Argentinians are more fair skinned.

Yes, I've heard the Cuban theory before too now that you mention it. It's anyone's guess I suppose though the Bond films generally stay out of political topics for obvious reasons.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Yes, I've heard the Cuban theory before too now that you mention it. It's anyone's guess I suppose though the Bond films generally stay out of political topics for obvious reasons.

There are three instances (that I can think of) of Bond films using entirely fictional places:

San Monique in LALD - presumably they needed Kananga to be a corrupt dictator of somewhere but didn't want to use a real country

Isthmus in LTK - same as above with Sanchez

Nambutu in CR - the embassy where Mollaka pops his clogs. Not sure why they couldn't use a real place here (?)
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

There are three instances (that I can think of) of Bond films using entirely fictional places:

San Monique in LALD - presumably they needed Kananga to be a corrupt dictator of somewhere but didn't want to use a real country

Isthmus in LTK - same as above with Sanchez

Nambutu in CR - the embassy where Mollaka pops his clogs. Not sure why they couldn't use a real place here (?)

Yes, and this could just as easily be the case in the OP PTS, i.e. the use of a made-up or undisclosed country presumably opposed to the West.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 14,835
    Dragonpol wrote:
    9/11 is referenced in DAD and CR.

The Data Loss Scandals of the Gordon Brown and David Cameron Governments are referenced in the plot of Skyfall.

1)Which already dated DAD, the moment 9/11 was alluded to.

2)I did not make the connection.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,341
    It is interesting how EON constantly tries to avoid references and political agendas so as not to offend. However in DAD North Korea is shown as a total badass much to the chagrin of North Korean movie goers who were very upset at their country being portrayed as such. It has always been a dream of Koreans (both North and South) to be reunited and the fact that this was the main motivation of Moon/Graves strategy shows a deviation from EON "playing it safe".

It is also my understanding that an early draft of the script for TSWLM dealt with members from every know terrorist group of the day taking over SPECTRE and being the main villains. Cubby rejected the script as being too political as he did not want to offend anyone (as these groups did have sympathizers all around the world). I mean we talking about groups like The Baader-Meinhof Gang, Black September, The Red Brigade to name a few.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

For me and my friends, it was always a wink about Cuba.

The main problem is that when you call a certain group 'good' or 'evil' you'd better be right, or you may doom the film to "The abyss of dated BS" bin all too shortly when your calls turn out wrong, and endanger your franchise to boot.
    Best thing is to create your bad guys.
    Biggest political mistake ever was to portray the Mujahideen as okay dudes in TLD, but I'll deal with it because in THOSE days a lone agent without assets makes friend with anyone who'll assist him in his efforts to complete a mission. Lack of foresight as to whom the Mujahideen would eventually BECOME is excusable here. Sort of. It's a dirty business, after all...
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    It is interesting how EON constantly tries to avoid references and political agendas so as not to offend. However in DAD North Korea is shown as a total badass much to the chagrin of North Korean movie goers who were very upset at their country being portrayed as such. It has always been a dream of Koreans (both North and South) to be reunited and the fact that this was the main motivation of Moon/Graves strategy shows a deviation from EON "playing it safe".

It is also my understanding that an early draft of the script for TSWLM dealt with members from every know terrorist group of the day taking over SPECTRE and being the main villains. Cubby rejected the script as being too political as he did not want to offend anyone (as these groups did have sympathizers all around the world). I mean we talking about groups like The Baader-Meinhof Gang, Black September, The Red Brigade to name a few.

North Korean moviegoers, that exist? I mean: North Korean moviegoers who watch a Bond movie? I thought North Korea officially protested about the way they were portrayed in the movie. North Korea has an evil, despotic government, but not the way it is depicted in DAD, with his soft heart general stuck with a crazy Caligula son. And the real country is far more isolationist.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    OHMSS69 wrote:

There was no such thing. The people of North Korea, at that time, were forbidden from watching any films made by the west.

State TV didn't show a western movie until 2010. - "Bend It Like Beckham" of all things!
    OHMSS69 wrote:

There was no such thing. The people of North Korea, at that time, were forbidden from watching any films made by the west.

State TV didn't show a western movie until 2010. - "Bend It Like Beckham" of all things!

At least it was not DAD. They would have been upset for another reason.
    Ludovico wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

At least it was not DAD. They would have been upset for another reason.

They had the last laugh there. ;-)