Who should be a Bond girl?

Comments

Yes, my type.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    An exceptional eye candy of a beauty with acting talents above average should be what they should look for and cast them in roles as such. Personally, as much as I love some of the Bond Girls of the Craig era, they were completely wasted portraying uptight and brooding angry female characters rather than Bond Girls. Three of those are Olga Kurylenko, Gemma Arterton and Lea Seydoux who would just dilate one's pupils in real life and in a lot of roles, yet they were given very uninteresting materials to work with in their respective Bond films.

As for Berenice, she was terrific in her character in every aspect, only to be robbed of what could have been outstanding due to the very little screentime she was given.

On the acting part, I'm also grateful we're not just getting beauty queens with zero acting capabilities. Barbara Bach comes to mind. Too wooden to be taken seriously.
    As for Berenice, she was terrific in her character in every aspect, only to be robbed of what could have been outstanding due to the very little screentime she was given.

The greatest crime made by the Bond franchise since DUD, IMO.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Her elbow is too pointy for me.
    I hadn't noticed earlier, but you may have a point. There are other compensations of course.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    She's good looking but maybe too girl next door.

I find it quite hard to think of "exotic" Bond girls. All I come up with are English roses.
    I agree on the girl next door thing. I guess that may be what appeals to me, although I agree it's perhaps not a traditional Bondish quality. She's definitely got that sultry swagger of her mother and her father's style though. I was surprised when I saw her on film.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    This may be an off beat choice, particularly as I have expressed my preference for non-American girls in Bond films. However, I saw her last night in Bad Times at the El Royale and was suitably impressed. I had pretty much ignored her in the past due to her involvement in that 50 Shades stuff which I've not seen. She's certainly got mum and dad's star looks, charisma and a certain style.

Dakota Johnson
    9gP97tm.jpg
    P3ZcfBN.jpg
    dGFztBJ.jpg

She was the only good thing about that 50 shades story I saw and I am embarrassed to say it was indeed because she was quite nude in that film

Hm… maybe I should check out this 50 Shades thing…?
    Likewise. I'm intrigued.
    A lot of scenes in 50 shades used body doubles for nude scenes so we never know if that was her
    As long as the double's up to par, I can forgive it.
    Skyfall did a similarly good job with this – that film had one of the starriest Bond casts but placed little-known French actress Berenice Marlohe in the Bond girl part. This is the kind of bold casting I love. A little known European actress capitulated into the stratosphere. It’s very reminiscent of vintage Bond.
    Absolutely, and that is actually one of my early indicators of whether we're going to get a good Bond film or not. When I saw the unknown (to me) female cast for GE I had a feeling the film would be excellent. SP didn't give me that feeling at all because I knew who the actors were. I'm hoping to be similarly surprised for B25.
    Univex wrote: »

The greatest crime made by the Bond franchise since DUD, IMO.
    I agree. She made such a bold entrance into Mendes's little drama and deserved to stick around longer.
    On the acting part, I'm also grateful we're not just getting beauty queens with zero acting capabilities. Barbara Bach comes to mind. Too wooden to be taken seriously.
    I have to disagree on Bach. She's no Green but I took her plenty seriously in TSWLM. I thought she played a sexy icy Russian spy very well, even if most of that was on account of her acting inability.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    She's good looking but maybe too girl next door.

I find it quite hard to think of "exotic" Bond girls. All I come up with are English roses.

It's a very fair point to make. Back in the 1960s They cast vertical unknowns – often they weren’t even actresses but beauty queens. In the end we were treated to numerous beautiful women with massively varying degrees of acting talent.

Nowadays, there is a tendency to go for more established acting talent – something I am somewhat grateful for. Though, it doesn’t mean that the casting directors shouldn’t be more innovative in their ability to source talent.

A recent film I think did an excellent in sourcing new talent for the leading ladies was Blade Runner 2049. Here they clearly wanted to cast attractive women but they went with newer names.

Skyfall did a similarly good job with this – that film had one of the starriest Bond casts but placed little-known French actress Berenice Marlohe in the Bond girl part. This is the kind of bold casting I love. A little known European actress capitulated into the stratosphere. It’s very reminiscent of vintage Bond.

berenice_marlohe_7_.jpg

Mendes went in the other direction with more established names in Spectre. Lea Seydoux was well-known in Europe and arthouse cinema, though she wasn’t a hugely known to mass audiences. Meanwhile, Monica Bellucci was widely known in Europe and throughout the world. Still, there was a novelty to her involvement as it felt a long time coming.

Monica-Bellucci:-GQ-Italy-2015--06.jpg

Mendes certainly had a 'type' when you consider both Monica and Berenice

Bernice Marlohe I always found far more attractive as herself than as Severine. But she's my ideal casting model for new: unknown, beautiful and exotic. Her beauty is not a common one. I'm pretty much happy with the casting of all the Bond girls of the Craig era so far, look wise especially. Heck, even the very minor female characters (the Haitian receptionist or the one in the Bahamas) I find them perfect Bond girl material, to the point when I almost regret he didn't find time to bed them.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423
    I have to disagree on Bach. She's no Green but I took her plenty seriously in TSWLM. I thought she played a sexy icy Russian spy very well, even if most of that was on account of her acting inability.
    Unfortunately, she's a deal breaker for me. She keeps uttering her lines as if she's just reading a board someone's holding for her behind the camera, there's hardly any authentic emotion on her part even when she's supposed to be scared upon finding Jaws in her wardrobe. She was pretty much the same in Force 10 from Navarone and Island of the Fishmen. Couldn't take her seriously at all. Wooden defines her in the most apt form.
    Unfortunately, she's a deal breaker for me. She keeps uttering her lines as if she's just reading a board someone's holding for her behind the camera, there's hardly any authentic emotion on her part even when she's supposed to be scared upon finding Jaws in her wardrobe. She was pretty much the same in Force 10 from Navarone and Island of the Fishmen. Couldn't take her seriously at all. Wooden defines her in the most apt form.
    I wasn't impressed with her in Force 10. I've seen her in interviews, and that's the way she communicates in person too.

I understand where you're coming from on the voice and it's a common criticism. I just find her vocal monotony and coldness appropriate for a Russian spy. I disagree on the emotion though, which I think she conveys very well in several scenes.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    I wasn't impressed with her in Force 10. I've seen her in interviews, and that's the way she communicates in person too.

I understand where you're coming from on the voice and it's a common criticism. I just find her vocal monotony and coldness appropriate for a Russian spy. I disagree on the emotion though, which I think she conveys very well in several scenes.

The great example of Barbara Bach was the scene from TSWLM where she angrily says to bond- "when the time comes I will kill you".. she seems a bit cold being a Russian spy but there were scenes where she nailed it.
    This may be an off beat choice, particularly as I have expressed my preference for non-American girls in Bond films. However, I saw her last night in Bad Times at the El Royale and was suitably impressed. I had pretty much ignored her in the past due to her involvement in that 50 Shades stuff which I've not seen. She's certainly got mum and dad's star looks, charisma and a certain style.

Dakota Johnson
    9gP97tm.jpg
    P3ZcfBN.jpg
    dGFztBJ.jpg

She was the only good thing about that 50 shades story I saw and I am embarrassed to say it was indeed because she was quite nude in that film

A lot of scenes in 50 shades used body doubles for nude scenes so we never know if that was her

Her face was in many of the shots of her body so you can usually tell.

The great example of Barbara Bach was the scene from TSWLM where she angrily says to bond- "when the time comes I will kill you".. she seems a bit cold being a Russian spy but there were scenes where she nailed it.
    That was a good scene. There are several others in the film where she impressed me too (she's great with Rog), although I can understand the criticisms.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Dakota Johnson
    9gP97tm.jpg
    P3ZcfBN.jpg
    dGFztBJ.jpg

Her face was in many of the shots of her body so you can usually tell.
    I may have to check it out.

RE: Dakota, I just remembered that she's also Tippi Hedren's granddaughter as well as Melanie Griffith's and Don Johnson's daughter, so acting is definitely in her blood.
    Igxp5Rm.jpg
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423
    She's absolutely beautiful, no questions about it. I just don't think her association with the Fifty Shades series will put her on the producers' radar.

Just think of all the fan fictions with Bond in the Fifty Shades style. :))
    She's absolutely beautiful, no questions about it. I just don't think her association with the Fifty Shades series will put her on the producers' radar.

Just think of all the fan fictions with Bond in the Fifty Shades style. :))
    Oh I agree. She is nice though.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Parker and the Canadienne.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,869
    westworld-season-2-08.jpg

Talulah Riley

I wouldn't have a problem with Corinne having a small role in B25. Perhaps she has a chance to repay Bond for saving her butt in QoS.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    westworld-season-2-08.jpg

Talulah Riley
    I can't remember seeing her in anything but I know of her. Definitely Bond material imho and she has personal experience with ambitious types (Musk) and could perhaps channel some of that as a villain or villain's girl.

Vive la Canadienne, vole mon coeur, vole, vole, vole.

Sorry I had to write this.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I know I'm being very repetative when I say this but Andrea Riseborough would be the best Bond girl since Andrea Riseborough. Not only could she hold her own against Craig, but she is one of the best actresses out there. Her performance in Birdman actually stole the show for me as well as Emma Stone. She also did a fantastic job as a quite an unpredictable and dangerous person in Black Mirror. This image of her is from Black Mirror. She also starred alongside Tom Cruise and Olga Kurylenko in Oblivion.

blackmirror_s4_crocodile_00309_v2.jpg?resize=1200,800
    Abbie Cornish
    1408864276549_wps_1_Actress_Abbie_Cornish_arr.jpg
    Oh yes. :D
    She was pretty good in that Jack Ryan adaptation on Prime. I first saw her in Limitless (great film btw).
    She looks a bit bulky on this pic.
    If we're considering Dakota's then Dakota Blue Richards could use a career boost.
    If we're considering Dakota's then Dakota Blue Richards could use a career boost.

She wasn't bad at all in Endeavour. Don't know if I see her as a Bond girl, but who knows? Maybe she'll be a name to consider for Bond 26?

She wasn't bad at all in Endeavour. Don't know if I see her as a Bond girl, but who knows? Maybe she'll be a name to consider for Bond 26?

I think she can be seen as a Bond girl.

MV5-BZTQ3-Nj-Ix-Zjct-ZDE3-NC00-OTdj-LTk0-Y2-It-Mm-I0-Yj-M3-Nj-Fm-Mj-Iz-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-MTYw-Nz-Y0-Nz-M-V1-SX666-CR0-0-666-999-AL.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,443
    Analeigh Tipton (American, 1988.)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3006818/

https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a10386/analeigh-tipton-interview/

entertainment-2015-10-analeigh-tipton-main.jpg

ANALEIGH-TIPTON-6th-Venice-Film-Festival-Photoshoot-3.jpg

http://7wallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/20_Analeigh-Tipton.jpg

On earlier pictures, she looks to skinny. Only at them to give idea.

analeigh-tipton-stern-tease_rc39qj

19793408.jpg

Quantum Of Solace have more woman in the movie too then only Olga and Gemma. Second the movies need more ''Octopussy, TSWLM, Moonraker'' type of Bondgirls. Think Kristina Wayborn / Magda, Mathis girlfriend, Danish girl from TMND. Nice woman cars or or woman driving a nice car be nice too, more cars who be driven then only the Astin. (Spectre have parking cars, shame there not use atleast one other of those cars following Bond on that moment or mabey later in the movie we see 1-2 cars again at the villian lair.)

Famke-Janssen-Ferrari-F355-GTS-.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Lovely girl.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Indeed. Looks very un-American for an American. But a bit young for our current Bond.
    Yeah. A person of European stock. Surely a rarity in Yankee land.
    I'm still surprised Maggie Q hasn't gotten any call.

Maggie-Q-Red-3.jpg
    Maggie-Q_actress_Nikita_Serie.jpg
    1494482563maggie-q-3v.jpg.jpg
    2358446-nikita_red.jpeg

Has anyone seen Nikita?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Oh hell yes. Or Rachel Grant return please :x