Pierce Brosnan admits he can't bear to watch himself as Bond

Comments

• edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Funny joke.
    Double post
    Getafix wrote:
    Ah, we now have hijacked this thread into a new caption thread.
    Sorry, Getafix. I couldn't resist with that nice photo and BAIN123's suggestion. ;)

Absolutely no need to apologise - it was a relief to see no more attack posts from Earmuffs. Far from hijacking it, GL has returned the thread more to the light hearted tone in which it started off, with @BAIN123 and I discussing what a great guy Pierce is! This is exactly the spirit in which the thread started out before Earmuffs turned it into a bun fight (read the early posts, if you don't believe me). Don't assume I enjoy these tedious 'arguments' with people like Earmuffs any more than you do. They're just utterly unnecesary.

And for once I'm glad to see GL! Nice photo - as usual

Dear god yes - this was a good discussion before Earmuffs took over

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    actonsteve wrote:
    But he just isn't an actor

Yeah he is. He trained as an actor and he acts for a living. If you think he's a bad actor fair enough, your opinion and all that, but he is an actor.

Agreed. To say he "isn't an actor" is at worst bad phrasing and at worst just plain ignorance.
    Pierce is an actor who has definitely matured and developed over time.

What's nice about him is that he genuinely seems to enjoy and appreciate the opportunities Bond has given him. As I've said before, he is the one actor who has made the most of the part in terms of career and gone on to do more interesting stuff. Couldn't be more of a contrast with Sean in terms of appreciation for the role.

For Rog he was already to a large extent established before Bond, so while it was a huge boost to his career, it didn't fundamentally change him. And you can hardly say he went on to even bigger and better things... Although I guess by the time he stepped down from Bond he was a bit past it any way.

Tim I think blew it after LTK. Scarlet and then very little up until very recently.

Will be interesting to see what DC does. I very much suspect he is going to go back to character roles and theatre work. I think his attempts at leading roles outside of Bond have not been entirely successful recently. The Bond role gives him something - a gravitas and presence - that he somtimes lacks when cast in films like Cowboys and Aliens. Even in TGWTDG, I felt he sort of disappears into the background a little - perhaps intentionally. But I can 't help but feel he is better suited to ensemble pieces, rather than carrying a film in the conventional leading man way. I think this is perhaps one of the reasons that they've beefed up the M, Q and Moneypenny roles. The DC films are much less focussed on Bond - more on those around him.
    Getafix wrote:
    For Rog he was already to a large extent established before Bond, so while it was a huge boost to his career, it didn't fundamentally change him. And you can hardly say he went on to even bigger and better things... Although I guess by the time he stepped down from Bond he was a bit past it any way.

Roger Moore would disagree with you due to his 007 fame he got to do a lot of good for UNICEF after his 007 days, I remember him saying that those were his greatest works.

And I agree with him there, him helping children all over the world must be more important. And he never failed to tell people that 007 made that possible.

SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Roger Moore would disagree with you due to his 007 fame he got to do a lot of good for UNICEF after his 007 days, I remember him saying that those were his greatest works.

And I agree with him there, him helping children all over the world must be more important. And he never failed to tell people that 007 made that possible.

Okay. But I was thinking primarily of film work. But fair point.
    Roger Moore's most memorable film moment post Bond has to be licking a sausage in a suggestive manner during Boat Trip.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Roger Moore's most memorable film moment post Bond has to be licking a sausage in a suggestive manner during Boat Trip.

Does he raise his eyebrow?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

See for yourself. ;)
    Brozzer has definitley done pretty well for himself and as mentioned Tailor of Panama was a great anti-Bond kind of performance and the Matador was another great piece of work, he does actually seem to play damaged characters quite well.

Timbo's career is a hard one to work out, can't really tell what he got up to for a number of years until quite recently where he has appeared in some decent stuff.

Rog, as said was a bit past it really by the time he finished Bond, maybe if he had quit a couple of fims earlier he may have been able to take on some more interesting stuff. He does mention in his book he was offered a lot of stuff that didn't interest him.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 7,570
    After Connery, Brosnan has had the most varied and successful film career (can't count Craig as he isn't post-Bond yet) which is ironic really considering he takes quite a bashing on these boards.

I agree with a lot of what @Getafix says, although I don't agree about Craig not commanding the screen in his films - I always think the opposite. I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed C&A (shoot me now) and found DC perfectly convincing. I know my argument has now collapsed under the weight of that statement, but there you go ;-)

As for Dalton he did originate the role that Craig played in The Golden Compass - in the West End. It's a few years since he trod the boards I think, which is a shame.
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

See for yourself. ;)

Bloody hell !!

I havent seen this film and i'm even more reluctant now !!

barryt007 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

See for yourself. ;)

Bloody hell !!

I havent seen this film and i'm even more reluctant now !!

You're not missing much. It is perhaps one of the most grossly stereotypical films I've seen.

Oh Rog, why did you say yes to this film! X_X
    That is pretty disgusting.
    Such class and dignity haha.
    I can't bring myself to rewatch.
    Well He did make up for it here.
    ...and then he talks about "excited" he is after he's jumped out of an aeroplane strapped to Cuba gooding Jr.

He is the best thing in the film though.

Wow... must remember to avoid this movie.
    Poor old Pierce. Just never quite up to the job
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    At least Brosnan got all the baddies killed with panache while Craig fails about every time, except for Silva and only after Silva killed M.
    That's true. Craig hasn't really had much success in that field
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I never realized that before. He never ended up killing any of the big bads except for Silva, and the irony was M died a few minutes later anyway.
    Still a superior Bond than Dalton.
    Who, Craig?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I said on another thread, they both had different strengths. I liked Dalton's intensity but Brosnan was more of a cinematic Bond with a bit more slick panache.

A combination of Dalton and Brosnan = Connery to me. Similarly, a combination of Craig and Moore = Connery.

Conclusion: Connery is da man!
    Well the last bit I can agree with
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This is a Brosnan bashing thread so please leave Dalton out of it !!
    This is a Brosnan bashing thread so please leave Dalton out of it !!
    It's impossible. Brosnan's tenure will always be tainted by the fact that he took out Dalton. Similarly, Dalton robbed Brosnan in 1986. It's symbiotically destructive!