The Netflix Thread

2»

Comments

• getting close to finishing breaking bad (gutted)!

Are there any other netflix series anyone would recommend?

Nothing like Game of thrones or anything, not my cup of tea. basically looking or something with a clever storyline, deaths etc. ordered first series of 24 on dvd .
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Breaking Bad is a very unique show. There is nothing quite like it out there although there will soon be a sequel of sorts focusing on the lawyer called Get Saul.

If you want something unique, Dexter is recommended. Particularly up to and including Season 4. Seasons 5 to 8 are not for everyone but I enjoyed the whole thing personally. I like S1, S2 & S4 the best. Lots of deaths.

Homeland is worth watching too (terrorism based - quite a bit more adult oriented and character driven than 24 which is much more action oriented and plot driven). Season 1 is phenomenal. Seasons 2 and 3 are ok but quite a bit of a step down from S1. There are not a lot of kills in this one though. It's more about CIA workings.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Walking Dead. Totally addictive.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Walking Dead. Totally addictive.
  • There's been a television void in my life post Breaking Bad. I think it's ruined me...I don't think any other TV show will ever match up :-(
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Have anyone seen Lilyhammer?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nothing like Breaking bad but I've been watching box set after box set
    For months of Supernatural, all Demons and Angels but great fun.
    I got breaking bad boxset for christmas, just finished the first disc. Not very exciting so far, but will watch it all at somepoint
    I suggest you'd 'Better Call Saul'
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    You should try 'Person of Interest'. Many episodes so you'll have something to chew on for a while. :)
    Elementary is fun. :)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The Wire or Broadchurch. If you like cliffhangers revenge even though it seems to get rediculous you get hooked.
    For a long running series, The Wire or The Sopranos, are addictive.
    The Killing (Danish original) - 3 series
    The Bridge (Swedish/Danish co-pro) - 2 series
  • The Wire or Broadchurch. If you like cliffhangers revenge even though it seems to get rediculous you get hooked.
    Broadchurch is great my sister loves it I can see what the appeal is with that.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,181
    I will echo others with The Sopranos, The Walking Dead and Dexter. All are very much worth watching.

For comedy I highly recommend Curb Your Enthusiasm. For nicely done dramas, Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men. For science-physics-philosophy, Through the Wormhole is an awesome show if you like that sort of thing.

I know what you are experiencing when your favorite show is ending. A bit of you dies with it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I liked the US AMC version of the Killing (particularly seasons 1 & 2) but it might be a bit slow for you. I still think Dexter is closest to what you might like if you really like BB.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Community is excellent, IMO, you can try that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For a strictly-Netflix bound series, Longmire is a brilliant show anyone should watch. The program surrounds a man named Walt Longmire who is coming back to his post as the Sheriff of a small Wyoming town following a rough patch in his life (watch to find out what happened), facing all kinds of issues upon his return. His age and traditionalist views are put into question when a younger, more charming lawman is running against him for sheriff in the upcoming elections, he tries his best to hide his vulnerability from those closest to him, like his daughter, and he has to deal with the increasing tensions between his law community and the police on the Indian reservation close to his jurisdiction.

The show offers so much for those who love interesting, thrilling and captivating character-driven pieces of entertainment. The characters are each so well written, acted and developed. The cinematography is among the best in the business, bringing the locations alive with great fervor. The show is true to the deep native american culture that runs like blood through the Wyoming area, giving accurate and thoughtful representations of what it is like to live life on an Indian reservation. The show creates many tense and captivating moments between the "white man" and the native american population, as their contentious history comes deeply into play.

I honestly couldn't recommend this show enough. Robert Taylor as Longmire is the heart of the show, around which the creators have built a strong, moving tale of humanity, morality, justice, love and sacrifice. This show doesn't get half the critical acclaim it should, so here I am to spread the word about it to all of you, who I know appreciate this kind of storytelling. Cheers!
    I've been watching season 2 of The Fall. Just started on Netflix yesterday. I really got into season 1 and am glad to be watching the second season.
    I found this thread for you, @GustavGraves.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694

* @Gustav_Graves.

I usually prefer series to film but I have a couple of Netflix gems:
    The Colony (not to be confused with the TV show "Colony". This film stars Lawrence Fishburn and Bill Paxton. I had saw it months ago on RedBox but now it's on Netflix. Check it out.

Adulterers I watched this this past weekend and it was a very suspenseful and good film. A man comes home from work on his anniversary and finds his wife in bed with another man...he gets his guns and holds them at gunpoint. A very tense and well done claustrophobic piece.
    The Wire or Broadchurch. If you like cliffhangers revenge even though it seems to get rediculous you get hooked.
    Broadchurch is great my sister loves it I can see what the appeal is with that.

I have to say that I loved Season1 of Broadchurch but S2 is a waste of time. Do not watch it.

* @Gustav_Graves.

Yes, of course. Quite observant, thanks.