Your Bond location pilgrimages.

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Enjoyed hearing about your Hungary adventures @CommanderRoss.

The thermal baths would have hit the spot after the day of walking, if I get a second chance I'll search that out plus the Russian Restaurant experience. During other travel the ones down the street from my hotel in Berlin were kind of intimidating, though.

I don't recall the cart and horses straight off, but this sort of flattened sculpture from the park made an impression. (Not my picture below)

budapest-park-memento.jpg

Ha, yes, that's the one i meant. I think I thought it was a cart and horses because the men at the fromt seem to 'take off'. I found it very odd indeed. Very impressive from this side, but walk to the front of it and it leaves a completely different impression.

I'd honestly skip the restaurant, it was a terrible experience, including bouncers wanting to throw us out. But no doubt it's less likely to happen if you're not a group of 20 odd foreign agents... eh... students.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 13,032
    f3ee477d4c4c84fff95993d5171d7ade511cea3b.jpg

Other travel this year took me to London for the third time, this round I ventured as far out as the Millennium Dome. Didn't scale the outside to the top as others were carefully doing, maybe another trip.

Also made time for meeting with some associates at the Kings Arms, Chelsea, no known Bond connection.

2d146f2a577847258ce6751eab904a898589001d.jpg
    da9a604ff9b77e348a06052072fe3491f0b94d84.jpg
    8e0d109e9ecb6b2aef191b914856a5f0212c4ea4.jpg

051cc49ed3b8f97b176ff0aac4dd34d0ff4c53e0.gifv
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Did you go to the restaurant and ask for a table with speedboat?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Did you go to the restaurant and ask for a table with speedboat?

It gives new meaning to fast food.
    I guess I must return once again to visit the opposite shore.

But Trinity Buoy Wharf isn't really a restaurant of course. On the pier anyway.

tbw-logo.png
    share-image.jpg
    Trinity-Buoy-Wharf-1.jpg
    View.jpg
    river-views-from-trinity.jpg
    perfect location for one of those pop-up restaurants. @Dragonpol I'd definately visit McDonalds if this was their fast food!
    perfect location for one of those pop-up restaurants. @Dragonpol I'd definately visit McDonalds if this was their fast food!

Yes, just remember to superglue the plates down beforehand and you should be OK! ;)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm53JEjUJakKVA0ghclU8DFsHQ5Sc2b_L4dFB71I-pg8f0QcHR
    85a55db296123f7e98f9c678697220cd46732272.gifv
    4fafffe15f437259d48581113ded654817864704.gifv
    8e14526cfcd7b8702f5366defa57170b15e4cf9f.gifv

4fb5e0cc6e677e851373d4d0c7a63c154bcfe3ae.jpg

Last month I had a second chance to see a Bond filming location, specifically the Dunsmuir House and Estate in Oakland, California, used during the filming of AVTAK. But I will need a third.

First experience. About three years ago I had the good fortune to be in San Francisco for a week, and visited areas of the city related to Bond, Sam Spade, Bullitt, and other interests. On my day off I did a clockwise circuit around the Bay Area visiting parks and birding locations and working my way around to Oakland.

Arriving at the Dunsmuir address, I was disappointed to learn that being Saturday it was closed. A great day otherwise, but I'd have to return to see it.

Second attempt. Successful, with some reservations.

As played out last month, I had a half-day free in the Oakland area and caught a ride over to the Dunsmuir location. It was early afternoon, and the site is open to the public till 4 pm on a weekday. Arriving there, a chain-link sliding gate was closed and a second entrance was locked up. Trying to divine how to enter, I called a posted phone number which went to a recorded message. Asking a gentleman who worked at another state office who was walking the area, he suggested the larger gate was not locked and I could slide it to the side and enter.

He was right. I opened and closed the gate, then walked forward down the path toward the structure. Passed a group turkeys, resident to the grounds. A beautiful day, I walked up on Dunsmuir House, took a bunch of photos. Walked the area down to the posted closure at the opposite fence, maybe a pandemic relic. But I honored it.

Finishing up well before 4 pm, I returned to the entrance and the adventure really began--the gate I originally entered was now chained and padlocked shut. So knowing the phone went to message, I didn't try that again. Taking a closer look at the gate and fence, it was about 7 feet tall with barbed wire running across the top. The way the wire was pressed down immediately left of the locked gate indicated my experience was not unique, and others endured a similar challenge.

So I resolved to break out of the place. Leaned a sign against the fence to provide a step up. Launched myself to the top of the fence, first supported by my arms. It immediately occurred to me I would have been much better this the activity 30 or so years prior. I also realized that I'd committed to moving over the fence to freedom, and going back and trying to reverse the action was a dangerous proposition.

Not easy for me, I got a leg up, then the other, and maneuvered not so artfully considering the wire barbs were in the mix. But did work to a position where I could get a foot over to a short signpost that really saved the day for me. Hopping to ground, I had some cuts on my palms and shins. But free. And pretty spent to tell the truth, if I'd had more presence of mind I would have taken photos of the gate area itself to further document.

In the moment I was thinking the whole time I was on CCTV, and would either be apprehended or the groundskeeper kept the videos of folks breaking out for amusement or to post on YouTube.

Third visit. When I return on a future trip, I'll align to use the option for an 11:00 tour of the house or a group tour. Keep it simple.

bab2a92af1b24466b685c7055c6fcadfd4223796.jpg
    8cee74df42150821857bdfda235d31b3bf4f0941.jpg
    c2854aba514dbd1e5f95463a73491690bb78ce56.jpg

That's quite the adventure @RichardTheBruce ! glad you got out ok. Very strange they don't check if anyone is out on the grounds. I take it the house itself is as empty as it was when Sir Roger was walking there? Next time bring some guiche, just in case ;-)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Great story @RichardTheBruce ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Glad you avoided the rock salt!
    I guess that could be a future "third round" @echo .
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm53JEjUJakKVA0ghclU8DFsHQ5Sc2b_L4dFB71I-pg8f0QcHR
    85a55db296123f7e98f9c678697220cd46732272.gifv
    4fafffe15f437259d48581113ded654817864704.gifv
    8e14526cfcd7b8702f5366defa57170b15e4cf9f.gifv

4fb5e0cc6e677e851373d4d0c7a63c154bcfe3ae.jpg

Last month I had a second chance to see a Bond filming location, specifically the Dunsmuir House and Estate in Oakland, California, used during the filming of AVTAK. But I will need a third.

First experience. About three years ago I had the good fortune to be in San Francisco for a week, and visited areas of the city related to Bond, Sam Spade, Bullitt, and other interests. On my day off I did a clockwise circuit around the Bay Area visiting parks and birding locations and working my way around to Oakland.

Arriving at the Dunsmuir address, I was disappointed to learn that being Saturday it was closed. A great day otherwise, but I'd have to return to see it.

Second attempt. Successful, with some reservations.

As played out last month, I had a half-day free in the Oakland area and caught a ride over to the Dunsmuir location. It was early afternoon, and the site is open to the public till 4 pm on a weekday. Arriving there, a chain-link sliding gate was closed and a second entrance was locked up. Trying to divine how to enter, I called a posted phone number which went to a recorded message. Asking a gentleman who worked at another state office who was walking the area, he suggested the larger gate was not locked and I could slide it to the side and enter.

He was right. I opened and closed the gate, then walked forward down the path toward the structure. Passed a group turkeys, resident to the grounds. A beautiful day, I walked up on Dunsmuir House, took a bunch of photos. Walked the area down to the posted closure at the opposite fence, maybe a pandemic relic. But I honored it.

Finishing up well before 4 pm, I returned to the entrance and the adventure really began--the gate I originally entered was now chained and padlocked shut. So knowing the phone went to message, I didn't try that again. Taking a closer look at the gate and fence, it was about 7 feet tall with barbed wire running across the top. The way the wire was pressed down immediately left of the locked gate indicated my experience was not unique, and others endured a similar challenge.

So I resolved to break out of the place. Leaned a sign against the fence to provide a step up. Launched myself to the top of the fence, first supported by my arms. It immediately occurred to me I would have been much better this the activity 30 or so years prior. I also realized that I'd committed to moving over the fence to freedom, and going back and trying to reverse the action was a dangerous proposition.

Not easy for me, I got a leg up, then the other, and maneuvered not so artfully considering the wire barbs were in the mix. But did work to a position where I could get a foot over to a short signpost that really saved the day for me. Hopping to ground, I had some cuts on my palms and shins. But free. And pretty spent to tell the truth, if I'd had more presence of mind I would have taken photos of the gate area itself to further document.

In the moment I was thinking the whole time I was on CCTV, and would either be apprehended or the groundskeeper kept the videos of folks breaking out for amusement or to post on YouTube.

Third visit. When I return on a future trip, I'll align to use the option for an 11:00 tour of the house or a group tour. Keep it simple.

bab2a92af1b24466b685c7055c6fcadfd4223796.jpg
    8cee74df42150821857bdfda235d31b3bf4f0941.jpg
    c2854aba514dbd1e5f95463a73491690bb78ce56.jpg

What a stunning location!
    4c77c0fffb5d63b14c6b68e235a392ec2f08b57c.gifv
    louisiana-travel-logo-EBCD219D9D-seeklogo.com.png

Other travel in 2023, last month, a third visit to New Orleans this time mindful of filming locations for LALD. Not exactly amazing photos to share, but a fun time was had.

The night my business finished, I impressed co-workers by topping off a fine dinner at the Palace Cafe by announcing I was walking back into the French Quarter to the location where Agent Hamilton was knifed and killed.

The next day was spent driving around to identified spots and a couple birding locations. Leaned heavily to On the Tracks of 007 as reference (dialing into their online map, linked below), and Interacted a decent amount coming and going with Sheriff and other PO-lice VE-hicles but managed not to get pulled over.

https://www.onthetracksof007.com/maps

LALD: AIRPORT ARRIVAL
    Louis Armstrong International Airport (twice, of course)

LALD: FILLET OF SOUL / JAZZ FUNERAL
    Chartres Street, French Quarter (sorry about that, Agent Hamilton)
    27bde08e9821b0340f67b5c74ca6c7ae7b302ba1.jpg
    LALD: BOND AND SOLITAIRE TAKE THE TRAIN
    Amtrack New Orleans

LALD: BOAT IN THE POOL
    Mayer Drive, Bayou Paquet, Slidell
    LALD: SHERIFF PEPPER'S COUSIN BOAT DRIVE BY
    Bayou Liberty Road and bridge
    4743ab220db4ab41b2fcceb54e2d316ec2271a26.pnj
    LALD: BOAT SCENE
    Bayou Liberty Road (went as far as the private property sign)
    5ff3cf07343b4beb48277f317a13fddeb4c26c01.pnj
    LALD: BOAT IN THE POOL
    Mayer Drive, Bayou Paquet, Slidell
    LALD: BOAT THROUGH WEDDING CAKE
    Bayou Liberty, Slidell (in the vicinity from Garden Drive)
    LALD: BOND KILLS ADAM
    Southern Shipyard, Slidell, Louisiana (from Canulette Road, off Bayou Bonfouca)
    LALD: AMBUSH AT MILLER'S BRIDGE
    Slidell, Louisiana (on Pontchartrain Drive, Hwy 11)

LALD: MOTORBOAT CHASE
    The Irish Bayou, Louisiana
    LALD: BOATS CROSS OVER ROAD
    (Ridgeway Blvd, Hwy 11)

LALD: 007 GOES 15 MPH AT THE MARINA
    South Shore Harbor, New Orleans (near and east of the small airport filming location)
    LALD: PLANE vs. CARS CHASE
    T-Hangar 'F', Lakefront Airport
    LALD: BLEEKER FLYING SCHOOL OFFICE
    Taylor Energy Building, Lakefront Airport
    LALD: BOND RUNS TO THE HANGAR
    Exxon Mobil Hangar, Lakefront Airport

LALD: MOTORBOAT JUMPS OVER SHERIFF PEPPER
    Harlem Lane, Highway 39
    LALD: "LOUISIANA WELCOMES YOU" SIGN
    Highway 39, Phoenix (they really should reestablish that sign, stock photo below)
    131101-louisiana-live-and-let-die.jpg

Not a book or film location, I can also report a fine lunch meal was enjoyed at Felix's Restaurant and Oyster Bar. And pretty much every eating establishment I went to, a fantastic city for food of course. (I had insider G-2/intel that served me and my counterparts VERY well during our stay.)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx8JWWcufvyo_WdxiDN_uMtzjD21KdCqzOOo9W4gbjI3g-E4-_

And each visit I've come across a familiar and welcome figure, a jewel in the Bond world. It worked double time as bird watching this round.

ae8db6501f58b9733f202cb186bd75ced1b5ab8c.pnj
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    And each visit I've come across a familiar and welcome figure, a jewel in the Bond world. It worked double time as bird watching this round.

This is lovely! I had no idea Satchmo was short for Satchelmouth :)
    I was in Norfolk for a few days' break after Christmas. On my way home I stopped off to check out something I'd read on the internet:

GCnlbBLWIAAgYi1.jpg

Yes, that's the Tiger from GE (or one of them? I think there was an actual airframe and a prop version), and since 2014 it's been sitting on an industrial estate in Long Stratton, south of Norwich, the property of Long Stratton Motors. You, too, can tramp along a muddy footpath for a distant glimpse of it!

Here's the forum post where I came across this vital information, with full lat and long if you want to go too:

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126231

Why is it there? Where will it go next? Who knows, but I was very pleased to see it:

GCnlbBJWcAAbbi2.jpg
    With the fuel truck alongside, that gives the impression it's in frequent use, @Agent_99.

Maybe it's just stealth-y.

I don't trust it, who owns Long Stratton Motors?
    Some bloke with a white cat I think...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    And here is his company car:
    Janus10.jpg
    (Credit: The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum - requested from author, CC BY 2.5)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was in Norfolk for a few days' break after Christmas. On my way home I stopped off to check out something I'd read on the internet:

GCnlbBLWIAAgYi1.jpg

That's superb! :D
    The Janus Syndicate has revived with its new leader, a certain Alec Onatopp.
    How sad it is just sat there, could have been a part of Bond in Motion tour.
    edited February 27 Posts: 13,032
    beab60137603231.6214ddd7a61b7.gif
    Goldfinger-553.jpg

Fort Lauderdale and Miami. While in the area I searched out some locations including a place to eat.

• GF: LEITER TAILING ODD-JOB - 13611 Northwest 27th Avenue, Opa-locka, Florida
    • GR: ODD JOB AND MR SOLO ON THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT - 8910-9000 FL-7 , Miami, FL , USA
    • GF: ODD JOB MOVES ON - Florida State Road 112, underneath the US95 overpass. Miami,
    • GF: Odd Job has Mr. Solo crushed - Aimco Miami Iron & Metal Co., 3440 NW North River Drive
    • GF: Leiter at the KFC - KFC, 701 NW 119th Street, Miami

Other locations new for me weren't really still in existence. (And for more not listed above, I've been to the Fontainebleau and other local sites on previous trips.)

Taking pictures of the KFC exterior, the UPS driver on scene commented on my actions. I explained my interest in film locations, and this one from Goldfinger.

The franchise is nice to look at, recently updated I'd say. Inside it loses a few points, the cleaning equipment seems to have gone a bit sour leaving an unpleasant odor--seems like staff and even the locals are desensitized to it.

A busy establishment while I was there. And I was all in for a 3-piece meal: white meat original recipe, biscuit, mashed potatoes and gravy, cole slaw.

No evidence of GF or Bond on site that I could see as a call-out.

Wide view.
    Reverse view across the street.
    Closer.
    Close-up.
    030b2ec30d706fc40e371d29239adc27c395646b.jpg
    e0584da73c9abee0792658452b9ba50544a2345d.pnj

Finishing my food, I did have the impulse to get out of there quickly.

94d74f05834d49ff1b3f77dc257a4a198c7e4941.gifv

hot-n-crispy-hot-and-crispy.gif
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Location would really benefit from keeping the vintage look. Whatever they tried there does not hold up upon closer inspection. But still, cool that it's still a KFC after all of this time.
    Yeah, I'm pleased it's still there!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yeah, just imagine it might have been replaced by...a restaurant.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Yeah, just imagine it might have been replaced by...a restaurant.

Exactly what I was thinking :))
    More good fortune to roll through Kentucky and a couple locations of interest.

Matching my views to the On the Tracks of 007 site descriptions.

header_logo-880x222.gif

GF: LEITER LOST THE SIGNAL AND HEADS BACK
    Dixie Highway/31W, Muldraugh, KY, USA
    Here the Ritz Motel and Restaurant used to be, now U-Haul storage (2020), which is visible in the shot.
    e0351d5d29eadf1216ad05e95faff1e7e1e4fa61.pnj

GF: CONVOY ON ITS WAY TO FORT KNOX
    Harris Street, Muldraugh, Kentucky, USA
    aa7429f66b92d7c8a5b2b059d416b12f9f0414c4.pnj

GF: CONVOY ON THE ROAD TO FORT KNOX
    1st Infantry Division Rd, Fort Knox, KY, USA
    Forward and reverse views.
    0a7600d8596391c03b68169e1e3a538fe1e6bc42.pnj

GF: WELCOME TO FORT KNOX GEN RUSSHON SIGN
    The main aircraft hangar on Godman Army Airfield, Fort Knox, KY, USA
    bd771bde5e5ac9100523b0023c702ed9d9b01aba.pnj
    c8adce151d093470d021d54c31c895f2bb41eb57.pnj

The Gold Repository is viewed from a distance, there is no access or tour available.

Exiting the base it's visible behind the sign, then on the right behind the fence.

e714b74f5803e905766b5656bc3f5aaccab56a0e.pnj

Looks cool! Thanks for the pictures!

I worked at our national bank for some time. New employees would get a tour and see the gold stored there (not anymore). I never saw it though, only half the group would be allowed in per time, so the ather half needed to be 'entertained' and would get an introduction training by me. Hence I never saw the gold myself...