Grand Finale Disappointments: What you would have fixed

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
In some of the Bond movies, the big "fight-to-the-finish" is slightly disappointing, especially if the movie, up to that point, suggested something really big. For instance, in The World is not Enough, I was extremely let down by the pitiful so-called battle with Renard aboard the submarine. The parts leading up to it was slow, and then the fight itself was slow, dull, and both actors seemed to be acting like wimps. If I could fix it, I would have had Christmas Jones trapped in the opposite room, and let Renard and Bond duke it out in fashion of the Red Grant fight, which means brutal, tough, and merciless. Renard could still be impaled, but let it be a spur-of-the-moment thing that Bon does at the last minute. So there's mine, now what would you do?

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I was always disappointed by the final battle atop the Meteora in FYEO. I would prefer it if Kristatos attempted to use the ATAC to have a Royal Navy submarine launch an attack on Glasgow(its mentioned earlier in the film that if the ATAC fell into the wrong hands, British nuclear submarines could be manipulated to attack cities in the U.K.) and there was a Cold War-era race to prevent it although the next film OP more than made up for this with the race-to-the-finish finale of Bond stopping the nuclear explosion in the circus tent at the U.S. Air Force Base in West Germany.
    @PrinceKamalKhan and NOT have Gogo hand the ATAC back to bond?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Two very good shouts 00Beast and PKK.

The showdown with Renard should be epic as Bond is up against a man who can feel no pain so we should have him being stabbed, burnt, even having a limb crushed in a hatch as the sub tilts or something yet still coming at Bond like the Terminator.

Having Kristatos set up a demo of the ATAC for the Soviets by firing a warhead at something would be a cracking way to ratchet up the tension, although on second thoughts firing a nuclear missile would put him in the supervillain category of Drax and Stromberg, when all he is is a small time gangster interested in money so maybe its better as is - especially considering we have just had armageddon countdowns in the previous 2 films and this is supposed to be bringing Bond down to earth.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I concur with both of those, Renard being swiftly finished off with a gigantic Parker pen refill just seemed a disappointment and the lack of any guns or bombs going off in the St Cyril's climax left you feeling a little short changed.
    For me though it's every scene after Bond leaves the train in FRWL, the film limps along with dull helicopter and boat chases that add nothing to the plot, they are neither particularly exciting nor dramatic and being filmed in Scotland they lack the authentic feel of the earlier excellent location work, even Klebbs final scene in the Venice Hotel room is a somewhat disappointing end for such a great loathsome character.
    Yes, I agree with you there, Saunders! Rosa Klebb's final attack was really lame. She had never met Bond before, and you expect something big to happen with the way it lead up to that point. The so-called fight was way too short, and why did Tatiana have to kill her? I would have liked Bond to have finished off Klebb.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    There's also the ending to Goldfinger. Here's what I never understood. How could a fairly large man fit through an airplane window?

Also, if the flight was going from Kentucky to DC, there's no major water sources in between. How did the plane manage to crash in the open water?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Yup, the fight with Renard at the end of TWINE is rather a cop-out. They got it right in GE; the fisticuffs between Bond and Tevelyan - two equally-matched physical opponents, of course - came off very well and, to my mind, felt like a real, hard-edged, exciting homage to the Bond/ Grant battle in FRWL. Renard should be as physically impressive an opponent for 007 as Trevelyan was, but the climactic fight comes off as real (ahem) damp squib.

Frankly, it occurred to me (pretty much straight after seeing TWINE the first time) that it would have been sort of neat - and fitting with the tragic theme introduced into the Renard character that he's doomed to die and so is doing everything for his icky love of Elektra (an idea that could have worked really well if treated a little less melodramatically) - if he'd have duked it out with Bond and at the final moment, keeled over and slowly faded away, the bullet in his brain finally killing him. After all, that lodged bullet was always going to kill him, so why not feature it as how he died on-screen? If done well, it would have been an original and, again, somewhat empathy-inducing way for a Bond villain to go...
    Interesting what Kerim brought up! There's no major water from Kentucky to DC! Hahaha. I also like what St. George thought up about the Renard fight! That would have been neat to see Renard die from the bullet.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I also like what St. George thought up about the Renard fight! That would have been neat to see Renard die from the bullet.
    Yup, I guess for many viewers of the film, given the idea is introduced less than 20 minutes into the film, it would have been a rather obvious villain's death. But, like I said, if treated well I don't think that would have mattered; it simply would have been memorable and quite impressive. But, hey-ho, they decided to go for the nuclear rod through the guts instead... ;)
    St. George said:
    But, hey-ho, they decided to go for the nuclear rod through the guts instead... ;)

Yeah, I was slightly disappointed in Renard's death. I mean, he practically let Bond shoot the rod into him instead of moving. And, it wasn't that spectacular either.
    Well, I guess he didn't move at that final, critical moment because he was too pegged out and in too much pain from Bond's beating, which - as already pointed out - didn't exactly come from that heavy or lengthy a tussle to begin with (in contrast to, say, Bond and Trevelyan's fight at the end of GE). That, methinks, just ensures Renard's demise is even more underwhelming...
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    That, methinks, just ensures Renard's demise is even more underwhelming...
    Seems appropriate. An underwhelming finish to an underwhelming villain.

edited June 2011 Posts: 1,699
    That, methinks, just ensures Renard's demise is even more underwhelming...
    Seems appropriate. An underwhelming finish to an underwhelming villain.
    Well, indeed, you can't argue with that. ;)

Mind, like I said, Renard could and should have been a better character. In fact, one may argue Elektra could have been too - although, I've always felt that she gets a far worse rap on here than she deserves; but then maybe that's for another thread... :p
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Renard was a total waste of the talent of the wonderful Robert Carlyle... But I dread to think if he was used to his potential acting talent, Brosnan would have looked even more pathetic and weak, if that was even possible.
    DaltonCraig007 said:
    Renard was a total waste of the talent of the wonderful Robert Carlyle... But I dread to think if he was used to his potential acting talent, Brosnan would have looked even more pathetic and weak, if that was even possible.

Hahaha! Definately. In that final "battle", he literally looked and acted 40 years older than he was. Sometimes I wish Renard had finished him off, and then Roger Moore could have come in and taken care of business!
    TMWTGG need I say more
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    the ending of Die Another Day... better yet, the entire DAD movie!!

BLAH!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The final battles in the Bonds are seldom any better or even as good as the first two acts of the films. We all know that most Bonds lose some of their panache halfway through.

I suppose I would have dropped the SPECTRE boat 'fight' at the end of FRWL entirely. The North By Northwest homage I have little to no problems with, but after the tension builder that Bond's train fight with Grant had been, I need fairly little additional action before the film's over. Escape and shoot the helicopter, then on our way to Venice where we face Klebb. By all means, I wouldn't have been angry had she actually succeeded to poison Bond right before she took a bullet. GF could have been Bond's case to prove that he's back in shape.
    DarthDimi said:
    By all means, I wouldn't have been angry had she actually succeeded to poison Bond right before she took a bullet. GF could have been Bond's case to prove that he's back in shape.

Yeah, it would have been interesting to see Bond weakened and not on top of things. We could have had a final scene at a hospital or something where Bond was revealed to have recovered, and maybe a little side note referring to the event in Goldfinger.
  • I would change the "fight" between Bond and Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever. Bond just dumps him and his mini-submarine in a building? No epic hand-to-hand fight, or even something with swords or other attributes? On one of the features they say there was originally going to be a Bond/Blofeld fight in a diamond mine or something, that would have been way better
  • Bond vs Renard: the world's greatest terrorist versus the world's greatest secret agent. Wow, should be great. In the end, it's an over-choreographed mess that ends with an indiscreet sexual metaphor and BROSNAN'S PAAAAIIIINNN FFAAAAACCCEEE.

The end of FRWL never really bother me - Klebb was never going to pose the same sort of physical threat as Grant or Morzeny, and I liked how Tatiana actually did something useful rather than just being a bit of totty. I've always found the boat chase excellent, too.

The DAF ending...I don't really give a damn about the Batho-sub as long as Jill St. John keeps wearing that bikini :P
  • I agree tremendously with a lot of what people are saying above.

Personally, there are two final fights that really bothered me. One was Renard at the end of TWINE. He was built up to be an almost super-villian and could feel no pain, yet they never exploit that (and the fight itself was lame). I mean, he could have taken any damage that Bond inflicted on him and kept coming. I know that the Bond films shy away from graphic violence, but he could have been horribly maimed yet still coming - how frightening would that be? He could have had an arm ripped off and kept on like it was no be deal - tricky to film in a PG-13 way, admittedly.

But the all-time WTF for me was the fight at the end of LALD. As I've said before, my 13 year old self found the Moore films too silly and immature for my tastes and I'd stop watching them half an hour in. I'd flick back every once in a while to see what was happening and then get bored again pretty quickly. I caught the end of of LALD and when they guy inflated and then floated up to the ceiling (and exploded!) I felt insulted and even angry, as if the producers had slapped me across the face. Yes, I'm only 13, but you think that I'm so stupid that I'll like this? How dare you!
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I agree with BondWillReturn, the end of DAF was a massive anti climax with a location that should of been excellent for an epic battle, originally the oil rig was going to be attacked by US Navy frogmen abseiling from helicopters (hence their inclusion on the artwork of the promotional posters) and Blofeld's demise is at best unsatisfactory.

I've also always found the end of DN a bit of a let down, apart from when Dr No gets drowned in bubble bath there is little action to give this film the proper big finish it deserves.
    The final battles in the Bonds are seldom any better or even as good as the first two acts of the films. We all know that most Bonds lose some of their panache halfway through.
    The ultimate exception being OHMSS of course.

I would concur in regards to FRWL. The helicopter NxNW homage and the boat chase feel just tacked on. We're not given any name to face with the villains in those scenes, which makes them seem generic.

DAF I don't have a problem with. There is still the tension built with the countdown and a panic for Bond to get out of there. Bond needs to destroy the control system, so why not kill two birds with one stone? And lastly, Kidd and Wint getting their comeuppance is a satisfying close.

I agree with a lot of the comments above! Especially those that pertain to the climax's of DAF, LALD, and DN. Granted, Dr. No was the first Bond movie, so there was a "trial-run" aspect to it, but come on! We needed it to be a lot longer. There was never any problem with how it ended for me, but just make it longer! And yes, DAF's climax was originally to be more spectacular, including a boat chase and a salt mine fight. That would have been the better solution, rather than the pitiful "smash Blofeld into the command center and be done with it" approach. Also, LALD's fight with Kananga is a real disappointment. I don't think any explanation is needed. Thankfully though, Tee Hee came back and provided us with a worthy climax!
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Bond vs Renard: the world's greatest terrorist versus the world's greatest secret agent. Wow, should be great. In the end, it's an over-choreographed mess that ends with an indiscreet sexual metaphor and BROSNAN'S PAAAAIIIINNN FFAAAAACCCEEE.
    Actually, you raise a important point in mentioning PAIN FACE. I'd have missed out on many moments of fond amusement had it not been for TWINE's finale and its PAIN FACE. Maybe it's not so bad after all then? :p

And if we're extending TWINE's finale to include the tortue chair sequence, then I'd have to speak up for that. Always enjoyed it - yes, it's rather naff, but the idea's pure cinematic Bond and, for me, ain't done that badly. Valentin's death and freeing Bond of his shackles at the same time, as well as Bond shooting Elektra point-blank (aside from his moping over her corpse) are both top stuff too...
    I agree with the shooting of Elektra, St._George. That has been one of my all time favorite Bond Moments! One of those cold-blooded kills in line with those done to Professor Dent, Emile Locque, Necros, Ed Killifer, and Dr. Kauffman. It was also arguably Pierce Brosnan's best moment.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The showdown with Renard should be epic as Bond is up against a man who can feel no pain so we should have him being stabbed, burnt, even having a limb crushed in a hatch as the sub tilts or something yet still coming at Bond like the Terminator.
    Quite right. We get the whole setup of Renard feeling no pain, fighting stronger and harder than any ordinary man and then...no payoff?!? No Bond stabbing him through the hand or whatever and Renard simply not reacting and fighting harder? Such a missed opportunity to actually create a memorable villain.

It would have required restructuring but Bond killing Elektra in cold blood should have happened AFTER Renard's death. That, plus M's reaction, is basically the climax of the film.

I also would have cut the role of Christmas Jones way back and sent Bond back to Holly Warmfla/esh for convalescence after the battle to the death with Renard.

CR drop the sinking house bit in favour for the Fleming ending of suicide and 007 being hurt by it. It would make the movie almost perfect and explain 007's stance with women more.

DAD that airplanescene at the end took bloody forever and was very tiresome. It should have been 007 facing the baddie while Halle was in hospital recovering. I did not enjoy the equal strength bit of agents. It is a bloody 007 movie.

QoS is just wrong in every aspect. It is a severly failed experiment in 007 films. Perhaps not unlike TSWLM by Fleming, but there remained a fairly decent tale.
    SaintMark said:
    I did not enjoy the equal strength bit of agents.

Agreed! It was far too "I can do what you can do" type of scenario. I would have wanted the focus simply on Bond vs Graves in the final showdown. I liked that fight, but was marred by the Jinx vs Frost fight on the side. I personally didn't like Jinx too much. I wish Mr. Kil had lasered her head off in that earlier scene.