So you want to start a new Elimination game?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Right it looks like PTS gets the win. Followed when the Bond film elimination game finishes with the Animals in Bond films game.
    Who's helming the PTS game?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Benny wrote: »
    Right it looks like PTS gets the win. Followed when the Bond film elimination game finishes with the Animals in Bond films game.
    Who's helming the PTS game?

As I am constantly online I can do it :)) but I don't want to take it away from someone else of course.
    If I read back it looks like it was me, but of course someone may have proposed it as well before the villains lair was set up. As you said @birdleson no need to rush, let's wait who else is willing to do it :)
    I'd say go for it @BondJasonBond006
    I can't see there being too many objections. You may want to consider taking the idea as suggested by @josiah where in there are no + votes. Only 1- vote per day.
    Also starting the game with no more than 20 points per film would be good. Up to you.
    I really want to do one on the video games just to satisfy my own curiosity of which of the usual top 4 will win (Goldeneye N64, Nightfire, Everything or nothing or Goldenye Reloaded)
    Now that the cars game is over, a new one could be started I guess.

That animal game sounded really fascinating. Maybe that one could be next?
    We have two games running at present. I'll refer you to the opening post of this thread @BondJasonBond006
    When the Bond film elimination game is finished, then we can start on the Animals game.
    And video games Benny?
  • Just remember everyone that the points should start low. A quick game's a good game that's why I had the villains' lairs elimination game start at 15.
    And a slightly longer game gives a bit more suspense
  • vzok wrote: »
    And a slightly longer game gives a bit more suspense

If people don't lose interest. It's OK for games everyone will play like Bond films. But for something like animals? Honestly I would have it start at a mere 7.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    When it's time for Animals, I'll start it at 20. Lets remember we have usually 24 entries to vote for. Times that by 20 and you get 480 votes that are the maximum possible since each one is a net -1. If you get 20 votes per day thats 24 days, up to 30 votes per day, thats 16 days. Very reasonable timeline. We have 2+ years until Bond 25, lets take them at a leisurely pace, but not too slow to lose interest. If we do a game every 5-10 days, we will be rehashing ideas every 6 months!

The Car game was an anomaly because it was started during our Spectre hiatus and was very forgotten about. If you notice, the Film and PTS games are going at a pretty steady rate of 20-25 votes per day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The car game was started without any votes or greenlight, hence the low interest I think.
    Another point I forgot to mention for a system where users only have a minus 1 vote daily is that there is less math involved for both the players and host since (ideally) only one entry is being manipulated in every vote. There is also less risk of games becoming standoffs between players because scores can only ever go downward. As MooseWithFleas mentioned, the current voting system amounts to a net -1 anyway.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    i don't like not having a film to support with a positive vote. Much less fun.

I appreciate your candor. For me I suppose it depends on what the category is. I can understand not wanting to be unable to support a film or Bond actor.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't like not having a film to support with a positive vote. Much less fun.

Don t think I would even bother to participate.
    The rule -2 +1 seems to have worked well (imo) it's the starting points that may be amended depending on what the game is about.
    I started the PTS with 20 points each movie and I think that's the maximum there should be, imagine I had chosen 40 points, we would be nowhere right now.

As for starting a new game, I knew there was the two games at a time rule, but that was broken before and after all Benny told me to have a go (at least I understood it meant starting right away).

If I should have waited until there was only one game left, then please accept my apologies.
    @BondJasonBond006 Yes, the PTS game is moving along at a brisk pace, which is better IMO. There will inevitably be some eliminations I disagree with and I'd rather see it happen sooner rather than later. I like the sense of urgency and forward momentum in a short game.
    What is this hurry good for?
    What is this hurry good for?
    Getting on to a new game sooner. Variety is the spice of life and all that....

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Had an idea about another elimination game. It's more than likely something like this may have been done but I was thinking if one could be done on Bonds' Kills in the movies. I've made a bit of a list below, some obvious choices, some not so much. If it has been done before then all is good but, if not, would it be worth a try maybe? Cheers.

DN – Professor Dent
    FRWL – Grant
    GF - Oddjob
    TB - Vargas
    YOLT – Hans
    OHMSS – Man thrown off ski cliff
    DAF – Peter Franks (or we could go with Mr Wint)
    LALD - Dambala
    TMWTGG – Scaramanga (his only kill in this movie)
    TSWLM - Sandor
    MR – The tree assassin (played by Guy Delorme)
    FYEO – Emile Leopold Locque
    OP – Mishka (or Grishka) – The one he puts the knife in.
    AVTAK – Helicopter goons
    TLD - Necros
    LTK - Ed Killifer
    GE - Ourumov
    TND – Dr Kaufman
    TWINE – Elektra King
    DAD - Zao
    CR - Dryden
    QOS - Mitchell
    SF - Patrice
    SP – The bodyguards hired to kill Lucia Sciarra

As I say, just a thought but if anyone thinks of any other kills that would be more suitable, all welcome.
  • Brilliant idea @Shark_0f_Largo.

Problem with this one is that we'd have to all agree on which kill to pick from which movie, and some of the movies (OHMSS, AVTAK) don't have good ones.

No reason to swap out FRWL's Grant kill for the helicopter goons, I don't think it would win by a landslide (I personally would take the TWINE kill over it).

Some other suggestions that are just that - suggestions that you can reject:

For GF I would swap Capungo for Oddjob.

For YOLT I would swap the fake ninja for Hans.

For OHMSS I would choose the guy he surprises at the ski cliff, he dropped for a good twelve seconds after all.

For LALD I would swap out Dambala for Adam, the guy he kills in the massive boat explosion.

For LTK I might swap out for Sanchez, that one is a little more important.

For GE I would definitely swap out for Alec.

For QOS I would definitely swap out for Edmund Slate.

And that's all, I mean all of these as polite suggestions of course.
    Hey @IncompetentHenchman, thanks for that. Thanks for the ideas and I'll certainly make some changes if the game comes to fruition.

The reasons I have gone for some that I have are because of the way the kills are made (Bonds' great eye for a shot or the sliding on the ice) as well as his ruthlessness (Dent, Elektra, Locque, Killifer) and not necessarily the importance of the kill.
  • Hey @IncompetentHenchman, thanks for that. Thanks for the ideas and I'll certainly make some changes if the game comes to fruition.

The reasons I have gone for some that I have are because of the way the kills are made (Bonds' great eye for a shot or the sliding on the ice) as well as his ruthlessness (Dent, Elektra, Locque, Killifer) and not necessarily the importance of the kill.

Those are great reasons to choose a kill. Yes, the cold kills are the ones most likely to be successful.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited April 2016 Posts: 5,080
    I put this forward a while back, but I thought it would be fun-

Best Attempt on Bond's life-

DN: Death by tarantula
    FRWL: Death by poison-tipped shoe
    GF: Death by laser
    TB: Death by the rack
    YOLT: Death by plane crash or death by death by poison (poor Aki)
    OHMSS: Death by avalanche
    DAF: Death by incineration (this one for the win!)
    LALD: Death by crocodile
    TMWTGG: Death by, erm, karate?
    TSWLM: Death by Naomi's helicopter?
    MR: Choose your pick; Death by centrifuge, death by python, death by rocket blast, death by surprise cofffin knife-thrower
    FYEO: Death by keel-hauling
    OP: Death by yo-yo saw
    AVTAK: Death by elevator fire
    TLD: Bit stuck on this one
    LTK: Death by grinder
    GE: Death by Xenia's thighs
    TND: Death by Dr Kaufman's expert pistol skills
    TWINE: Death by torture chair
    DAD: Death by icarus?
    CR: Death by poison laced martini
    QOS: Death by military aircraft? Suggestions for this one?
    SF: Death by tube
    SP: Death by drill?
    please can we do video games If we cut out the pre goldeneye n64 games we wind up with a small list that wouldn't take too much time

GoldenEye 007
    James Bond 007
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    The World Is Not Enough
    007 Racing
    Agent Under Fire
    Nightfire
    Everything or Nothing
    GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
    From Russia with Love
    Quantum of Solace
    GoldenEye 007
    Blood Stone
    007 Legends

14 options even if we add in James Bond the Duel (which is extremely underrated) it would only be 15 and there is enough nostalgia and discussion that the game could go along nicely without issue for a few months. I am practically begging here I really want to know what game would win my guess would be nightfire or Goldeneye n64 but who knows maybe the most cinematic Game Everything or nothing would win or perhaps maybe a craig era game...

I think the time has come to stop ignoring the video games and to let us get a proper elimination game
    Didn't we just have a vote on elimination games a couple of weeks ago? I thought there were other games queued up, and Best Bond Kills didn't even get voted on then.
    vzok wrote: »
    Didn't we just have a vote on elimination games a couple of weeks ago? I thought there were other games queued up, and Best Bond Kills didn't even get voted on then.

You're quite correct, it wasn't on the list. It's just an idea I came up with and thought worth mentioning. Not trying to tread on toes or jump in ahead of any other. Just want to add it to the mix.....

vzok wrote: »

You're quite correct, it wasn't on the list. It's just an idea I came up with and thought worth mentioning. Not trying to tread on toes or jump in ahead of any other. Just want to add it to the mix.....

No, it's a good lineup of kills. I just meant that Animals and some others were mentioned back then and they seem to have gone quiet.

I'd rather do the two that have just been mentioned above myself. Bond kills or attempt on Bond's life. I'd also like Oddjob and Grant's deaths included, they are both iconic.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Oh yeah, it's definitely Gotta be done when others go by. Oddjob and Grant can certainly be added if people feel fit, no problem. In fact thinking about it, as with @IncompetentHenchman above also, they are both ones that should definitely be added. I feel the rest are pretty much ok, maybe, as they show off a variety of skills/ruthlessness on Bonds part.