The Great Bond Villain Elimination Game - COMPLETED : REVIEW.

1818283848587»

Comments

QBranch wrote:
    His hierarchy on the villain scale is irrelevant to me. He is for my money the most interesting and dangerous villain of the film, and one of the best in the series. He's cold, silent and deadly, and his final scene on the Orient Express where he and Bond have a game of mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    This.
    I, too, agree.
    mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    As long as it's healthy, Mr. Osato will also agree. ;)

*Chess. #-o

Oh knight nice one Brady!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    QBranch wrote:
    His hierarchy on the villain scale is irrelevant to me. He is for my money the most interesting and dangerous villain of the film, and one of the best in the series. He's cold, silent and deadly, and his final scene on the Orient Express where he and Bond have a game of mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    This.
    I, too, agree.
    mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    As long as it's healthy, Mr. Osato will also agree. ;)

*Chess. #-o

Oh knight nice one Brady!

I know, write right?

It's nice to see you lot make spelling mistakes two to 2 too sometimes.
    QBranch wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    Agreed,and that is why i put him in the game as FRWL representative.
    Klebb or Blofeld would not have lasted very long.
    With that logic, Graves should've been swapped out for Miranda Frost, and Koskov for Necros.
    jobo wrote:
    As far as I remember, Grant was considered by many voters not to be the main villain but a henchman, and that was apparently the reasoning for voting him down. A slightly weak argument in my opininon. There's no crystal clear consensus regarding who the main villain is in FRWL, and when he was included in this game one should vote for him regardless.
    I'm baffled as to why people would label Grant the main villain. Is it because he's more prominent a character or just more likeable? I, and a few others here voted down Grant because he IS the henchman. HE works for Klebb, not the other way around, so he's the henchman, simple as that. Besides, he's listed everywhere on the internet as a henchman, or Klebb's henchman, and the internet's NEVER wrong...
    To restore balance, I expect to see Klebb in the henchman elimination game.

It may seem like I'm making a big deal out of this, and the truth is, I am. :P ;)

I've always considered Klebb the main villain.

Grant is the henchman. Even though he represents the biggest, and most immediate, threat he is still the henchman. He is under orders from Klebb who is under orders from Blofeld.

Definitely one of the best henchman in the series, but for my money not the main villain of FRWL. Klebb/Blofeld would probably be...
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,502
    I have never considered Grant to be anything but a henchman myself. My point is that I don't think it was such an outrage that he was included in this game as apparently everyone else did. I've seen or heard him been described as "FRWL's villain" many times, and SPECTRE's entire plan and the film itself revolves around his encounter with Bond. And I seriously don't get why this was a valid reason not to vote for him. Henchman or not, he was the best "villainious" character on the list, hence why I consistently voted for him until the end.

And regarding the idea of including Klebb in the Henchman game... Well, i expect the same outcome. People will start whining that she "is not really a henchwoman", and she will be eliminated prematurely. I think it's unnecessary that both of FRWL's representatives should suffer because members are being nitpicky about semantics.

But now it seems like I'm making a big deal of this, and the truth is... I am! ;) These are, after all, minor concerns in my world. And that's why I found the reaction to Grant surprising in the first place...
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    The main mastermind villain of both FRWL and TB is Blofeld of course, but we in the community tend to defer to both Klebb and Largo as the Lead villains because they are the top boss-dogs that Bond has to directly deal with, so in a lead villain game, I would go with both Klebb and Largo for that reason.
    Grant is a henchmen, and yes an iconicFleming created character, and the prototype for all the Eon Aryan henchmen that have followed, but still he's a henchman, who would fare well in any henchman game.

I can understand Sanchez scoring so high, because he was a charming engaging fellow, unless of course he was ordering your heart to be ripped out, whereas Goldfinger was a flat humourless sort.
    Sanchez really liked Bond. He seemed to value him as a worthy team member. It was almost sad to see their bromance shattered, but still in the pantheon of Bond master villains, I find GF far more, lets say engaging.
    He was a classic Fleming-created OTT supervillain. Unlike Sanchez he had no human qualities that I could discern such as loyalty or even a shred of warmth.
    Bond seemed to treat GF with contempt, as if he was subhuman.
    GF was all about megalomaniacal greed and power. This IMO is classic Bond turf - having to face these monster type villains, foil their mad schemes and vanquish them from the face of the earth, whilst doing so with grim determination and deadly force....tempered by the Bond style and charm.
    This I think is the magic of the 007 world. It's fantasy. It's escapist, but grounded enough in reality, to allow us to suspend disbelief, if only for a couple of hours.
    GF, Ernst and DN IMO are the big three of Bond villainy. And Eon to its credit has created many others, from the Fleming created mold.
    I much liked how Eon, in the early days would continually re-invent Blofeld with different actors. The technique allowed for both continuity with iconic supervillainy but also also allowed for change and different looks for the same devil.
    We may have seen more of this if McClory hadn't been such a pain-in-the-ass, and thwarted yet another Blofeld reinvention for TSWLM film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bravo, very enjoyable read, @timmer, and I agree.