The Great Bond Villain Elimination Game - COMPLETED : REVIEW.

Comments

Agreed @jobo .

I cant believe i left Kamal Khan on 20 points on Friday and came back this morning to see him on 1 or 2 !!

He is an excellent villain IMO.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 170
    DR NO : 23
    RED GRANT : 25
    AURIC GOLDFINGER : 9
    EMILIO LARGO : 10
    ERNST STAVRO BLOFELD (OHMSS) : 22
    DR KANANGA/MR BIG : 11
    FRANCISCO SCARAMANGA : 15
    PRINCE KAMAL KHAN : 2
    MAX ZORIN : 19 (-1)
    FRANZ SANCHEZ : 27
    ALEC TREVELYAN : 21 (+1)
    ELEKTRA KING : 13
    LE CHIFFRE : 15
    RAOUL SILVA : 15

23. Gustav Graves
    22. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (DAF)
    21. Dominic Greene
    20. Karl Stromberg
    19. Georgi Koskov and Brad Whitaker
    18. Aris Kristatos
    17. Elliot Carver
    16. Hugo Drax
    15. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (YOLT)
    barryt007 wrote:
    Agreed @jobo .

I cant believe i left Kamal Khan on 20 points on Friday and came back this morning to see him on 1 or 2 !!

He is an excellent villain IMO.

Absolutely! He's not the traditional menacing type, which I think is why people don't like him. But I just find him so funny and original!

AURIC GOLDFINGER : 8 (-1)
    PRINCE KAMAL KHAN : 3 (+1)
    MAX ZORIN : 19
    ALEC TREVELYAN : 21

23. Gustav Graves
    21. Dominic Greene
    20. Karl Stromberg
    18. Aris Kristatos
    17. Elliot Carver
    16. Hugo Drax
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    AURIC GOLDFINGER : 9 (+1)

PRINCE KAMAL KHAN : 2 (-1)

23. Gustav Graves
    21. Dominic Greene
    20. Karl Stromberg
    18. Aris Kristatos
    17. Elliot Carver
    16. Hugo Drax
    (Monday Vote)

AURIC GOLDFINGER : 10 (+1)
    PRINCE KAMAL KHAN : 1 (-1)

23. Gustav Graves
    21. Dominic Greene
    20. Karl Stromberg
    18. Aris Kristatos
    17. Elliot Carver
    16. Hugo Drax

Now come on, who's going to be the hero who pulls the trigger on Khan?
    (Monday Vote)

I don't mind Khan but he's put up a brave fight for long enough.

AURIC GOLDFINGER : 10
    FRANCISCO SCARAMANGA : 16 (+1)
    PRINCE KAMAL KHAN : 0 (-1)

23. Gustav Graves
    21. Dominic Greene
    20. Karl Stromberg
    18. Aris Kristatos
    17. Elliot Carver
    16. Hugo Drax
    14. Prince Kamal Khan
    Good job @WillyGalore!!!
    Bugger....... ~X(
    Another day, another tragedy :-((
    The only tragedy is the abuse which certain members have been inflicting on Goldfinger in this game. So much hate for such a top tear villain is appalling!!!
    The only tragedy is the abuse which certain members have been inflicting on Goldfinger in this game. So much hate for such a top tear villain is appalling!!!

I agree with this ,although i dont like the film of GF much,Gert Frobe played him brilliantly.

He's cheesy, embarrassing, over-the-top, and unbelievable, in the most real sense of the word! He should have gone out long ago!

AURIC GOLDFINGER : 9 -1
    FRANCISCO SCARAMANGA : 16
    LE CHIFFRE : 16 +1

23. Gustav Graves
    21. Dominic Greene
    20. Karl Stromberg
    18. Aris Kristatos
    17. Elliot Carver
    16. Hugo Drax
    14. Prince Kamal Khan

Goldfinger is good but he isn't as good as others on the list (le chiffe Red Grant Dr No etc) So him and Largo are in my crosshairs.

00Beast wrote:

He's cheesy, embarrassing, over-the-top, and unbelievable, in the most real sense of the word! He should have gone out long ago!

A bit like the whole film,apart from the golf scene which i like.

barryt007 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

The golf scene is definitely a highlight, and one of the few saving graces in the movie- apart from it, the Miami Beach scenes, and the Fort Knox finale, there's nothing else worth watching.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    AURIC GOLDFINGER : 9
    FRANCISCO SCARAMANGA : 16
    ELEKTRA KING : 12 -1
    LE CHIFFRE : 16
    RAOUL SILVA : 16 +1
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Dr No: 23
    Red Grant: 25
    Auric Goldfinger: 10 (+1)
    Emilio Largo: 9 (-1)
    Blofeld (OHMSS): 22
    Dr Kananga/Mr Big: 11
    Francisco Scaramanga: 16
    Max Zorin: 19
    Franz Sanchez: 27
    Alex Trevelayn: 21
    Elektra King: 12
    Le Chiffre: 16
    Raoul Silva: 16
    00Beast wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

The golf scene is definitely a highlight, and one of the few saving graces in the movie- apart from it, the Miami Beach scenes, and the Fort Knox finale, there's nothing else worth watching.

The scene's you've described alone make up almost half of the film. And how about Bond following Goldfinger in the DB5, or the fight at Auric Enterprises which ends in possibly the best Bond villain interaction in the series with the laser scene? Even the black tie meeting between Bond, M and Col. Smithers is fun for me because it shows out of the office interactions between Bond and M like in the books. And the score of the whole film alone make it for me, it's just so fun and playful. There's just no beating Goldfinger...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Great work, @Willy! Someone had to finally take Kamal out back and give him a double-barreled surprise to put him out of his bloody misery.
    00Beast wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

The scene's you've described alone make up almost half of the film. And how about Bond following Goldfinger in the DB5, or the fight at Auric Enterprises which ends in possibly the best Bond villain interaction in the series with the laser scene? Even the black tie meeting between Bond, M and Col. Smithers is fun for me because it shows out of the office interactions between Bond and M like in the books. And the score of the whole film alone make it for me, it's just so fun and playful. There's just no beating Goldfinger...

I also love Goldfinger despite any faults he may have, as all the villains do since they ultimately die at some point due to a failure in their efforts to stop Bond and complete their own missions. He's a classic villain typical of the great early Connery era where the baddies were all five star gentlemen who still retained some of their evil nature and bite. With that laser table scene and the line "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die," Goldfinger has not only cemented himself in the world of Bond forever, but in all of cinema as a whole while generations of people down the line will look on and scratch their heads asking, "Khan who?" ;)
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 6,396

Great work, @Willy! Someone had to finally take Kamal out back and give him a double-barreled surprise to put him out of his bloody misery.
    =))

Post of the Day. I doth my cap to you Sir. =D>
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I've just thought, couldn't these games potentially go on forever because of the massive ammounts of votes some films/villains have recieved?

Eventually we'll end up with a few villains that all have 20+ votes and people will keep voting up their favourites and voting down the others. There's a good chance that this game will never end.
    I've just thought, couldn't these games potentially go on forever because of the massive ammounts of votes some films/villains have recieved?

Eventually we'll end up with a few villains that all have 20+ votes and people will keep voting up their favourites and voting down the others. There's a good chance that this game will never end.

It's a good point. By that time I will start to vote down whoever's losing, otherwise we'll enter a stalemate to which there will be no end.

It's only a game after all. Doesn't mean anything one way or the other.
    I think if we're left with a few villains and voting has been going on for a while then we should just make them joint winners. Same goes for the film game.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Going by past games, they do end. It can just take a little time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I've thought about this too. Look how hard it was just to get some select films and villains off the board already. I can see the rules being adjusted somehow in the future, because as you said, it could find a way to go on forever. Of course there are the cases where if a film or villain is only down to 4 or 5 a crowd of people could come into the thread and down-vote it to demolition. A strategic slaughter, if you will.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489

I've thought about this too. Look how hard it was just to get some select films and villains off the board already. I can see the rules being adjusted somehow in the future, because as you said, it could find a way to go on forever. Of course there are the cases where if a film or villain is only down to 4 or 5 a crowd of people could come into the thread and down-vote it to demolition. A strategic slaughter, if you will.

So now you are starting to see the point I made this weekend in my own game? I reduced the score equally for all films left there, so as to ensure it would not go on forever, but people were vehemently against it. Then I reversed it as I figured everyone would figure it out for themselves soon enough and come around. I then promised to do it a later point. And I will.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dr No: 23
    Red Grant: 25
    Auric Goldfinger: 10
    Emilio Largo: 9
    Blofeld (OHMSS): 22
    Dr Kananga/Mr Big: 11
    Francisco Scaramanga: 16
    Max Zorin: 19
    Franz Sanchez: 28 +1
    Alex Trevelayn: 21
    Elektra King: 12
    Le Chiffre: 15 -1
    Raoul Silva: 16

An idea could be that the first vilain to reach a certain number (30 for example) will be the winner, and then 2nd, 3rd and so on. That way we can start scaling away some names at the top too.

What do you guys think of that? (Sanchez is a worthy winner in my book! ;) )
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    jobo wrote:

An idea could be that the first vilain to reach a certain number (30 for example) will be the winner, and then 2nd, 3rd and so on. That way we can start scaling away some names at the top too.

What do you guys think of that? (Sanchez is a worthy winner in my book! ;) )

No, because that is unfair (Sanchez is only two points away from that figure). I think it is inevitable that the scores will have to be reduced.