..."Call of Duty" haters?

edited June 2011 in 007 Gaming Posts: 669
I was looking forward to create this thread since I was a member from the old MI6 forums. Really, guys, all the modern video games are completely based on "Call of Duty" elements and always developed on its gameplay, including the annoying regenerating health and the disgusting QTE system. The latest three 007 video games really let me down, I hated those video games' gameplay, you're just have to shoot an opponent. Until "From Russia With Love", no video game in the franchise was based only on shooting, but also you'll have to use your mind to solve logical elements and think like a smart secret agent, not today's spies who only run like Jason Bourne (I'd prefer to call him an assassin instead of a spy), kill everyone for nothing, or just chasing rogue businessmen, not stopping super villains who use silos to launch their missiles from...

However, back to "Call of Duty", in those games, there are nothing in the plotlines but spoilers. None of their stories make sense and even they do, they are bunch of rubbish stories. In "GoldenEye 007" (Nintendo 64), you are authorized completely to use your mind, think like a proper spy to access to your rightful route to save the world. All of the games were based on this method until Activision handled the franchise and destroyed it.

I hate "Call of Duty" franchise. Who's with me?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Call of duty was fine up until a bunch of idiotic kids and their mothers jumped on the bandwagon prior to modern warfare 2's release. Black ops was bull crap and even though I'll be picking up MW3 (for the sake of continuity and seeing a resolve to what started in the incredible MW) my main focus when it comes to FPS is battlefield bad company. Battlefield 1 was ok, Battlefield 2 was a beast and battlefield 3 is essentially going to annihilate everything in sight.
    Those in-game cutscene shown in First-Person perspective are annoying me, like the most of the "modern" games... What else you are annoyed from?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love the COD games, although in all honesty I've only played the first couple of games. Huge fan of the WWII games and something of a MW fan as well. Overall though, I find it hard to keep up with all of their fresh new releases. I've somewhat given up trying to keep up, if that makes any sense. ;;)

Anyway, the original COD is a classic!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I played Call Of Duty 1 to 3 on PS2, which were great, now I own Modern Warfare on XBOX 360... I am keen on buying World at War. But sorry Dimi, but I am more looking forward to Battlefield 3 to Modern Warfare 3.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,894
    I played one of the PS2 COD games, but it neer made an impression on me. As for these new COD, I hear from eery reiew i've read, that the single player mode is ery short, so i've never played them. I'm more of a Conflict... fan myself. Desert Storm, Desert Storm II, Vietnam & Global Terror. B-)

EDIT
    Am I to asume then, JamesBond, that you were/are KTBEU's codenamecobra?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I like Call Of Duty's campaigns - but there multiplayer has not changed since MW - yet everyone still raves how amazing it is... IT'S THE SAME THING!!! lol..... That's exactly why I have jumped to Battlefield - so much better.... not as many annoying campers (because you can obliterate whatever they are hiding behind with heavy artillery)

in terms of the Bond games - I liked the gameplay of Blood Stone, except i would've liked more stealth missions mixed in..... by perfect Bond game would be one that would be more like a Arkham Asylum / Splinter Cell style gameplay... you got your action moments - but you also need to use your wits...... something not so linear, a little more open and expansive - not so restrictive..
  • I I'm more of a Conflict... fan myself. Desert Storm, Desert Storm II, Vietnam & Global Terror. B-)
    Finally, another fan of the Conflict Series :D
    Though Global terror is named Global Storm here in the UK, Conflict Denied Ops was just... possibly The worst game i have ever played. Desert Storm is my favourite game of all time :)

Anyway back on topic:
    I have absolutely nothing against the CoD franschise, it plays a huge impact in the gaming world. I find it extremely addictive, fun, and exciting (Especially MW2, come on MW3!) I think that most haters only 'hate' it because they either are a 'battlefield' fan, (Ps, i do absolutely love Bad Company 2, so no offense to anyone), they havn't played it, just because of some idiotic friends saying it's 'cr*p' or they just have played, but have not played properly/fully.
    Man, do you prefer to see an automatic styled video game instead of leaving you to think like a smart person? For example, in COD games, a message shows up saying "Press F to Jump" and he'll automatically jump to the location he is programmed to. But, in Half-Life styled video games you'll have to give all the performance by yourself, for example, if you want to jump a bit higher, you'll push "Space bar" and a half second later "Ctrl" at the time. Also, you have to find your objectives by yourself, use your mind for logical elements to access to your way to your objective, not just doing nothing but shooting people in those stupid COD games, and the whole objective that you're given are actually fake, your only real purposes is to kill anyone in your way.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I I'm more of a Conflict... fan myself. Desert Storm, Desert Storm II, Vietnam & Global Terror. B-)
    Finally, another fan of the Conflict Series :D
    Though Global terror is named Global Storm here in the UK, Conflict Denied Ops was just... possibly The worst game i have ever played. Desert Storm is my favourite game of all time :)
    Oh yeah, I love the Conflict series. I've never actually played Denied Ops, but from what i've read and seen, they changed it so much from the previous 4 games, that it no longer resembles a Conflict game. And my mistake, it was indeed called Conflict: Global Storm here. Desert Storm 2 was my favourite of the series, and one of my favourite games of all time.

1. Conflict: Desert Storm II
    2. Conflict: Global Storm
    3. Conflict: Vietnam
    4. Conflict: Desert Storm
    what is so wrong with COD? it is one of the best if not the best game series
    COD doesn't let you to play properly. If you recognize the gameplay, you just have to walk and shoot. There are no logical elements in those series. So, I consider it the worst video game series ever made.
    Man, do you prefer to see an automatic styled video game instead of leaving you to think like a smart person? For example, in COD games, a message shows up saying "Press F to Jump" and he'll automatically jump to the location he is programmed to. But, in Half-Life styled video games you'll have to give all the performance by yourself, for example, if you want to jump a bit higher, you'll push "Space bar" and a half second later you'll press "Ctrl" to access to your purpose... Y'know what I mean.
    One thing i hate is video game devlopers and writers just don't have balls anymore. case in point so many claim "it would be boring to put cards in the middle of an action shooter" with good writers and developers you could have a bond level where you play cards.
    It gives me headaches because EVERYONE won't stop talking about black ops

And it ruined QOS

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350

And it ruined QOS

Don't worry. Here comes Modern Warfare 3.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @Virage......

Quantum Of Solace ruined Quantum Of Solace... lol - not Black Ops....... that game was easily one of the most forgetable Bond games i've played since probably 007 Racing.... the campaign was alright, but it was so stiff and weird at times.... not to mention the multiplayer was essentially just a beta of MW... it stunk.... the only multiplayer that was worse, was what was put into Blood Stone..
    I have to laugh at the COD-BF wars that are going on. After seeing the videos for MW3 and BF3 at E3 (lots of threes here), I literally cannot tell the difference between them.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,399
    @shadowonthesun...

there are big differences between the 2 franchises... to the average person, who hasn't played both at any length, they seem exactly the same, but trust me there are big differences...

#1 is the frame rate between the games - i can't remember the exact numbers, but COD:MW has a lot higher frame rate, which makes the game look a lot clearer, and not so blurry, especially during action sequences where you gotta move fast....

#2 is style of gameplay between the 2 games..... COD has a very no nonsense, and easy to grasp approach, especially towards it's multiplayer.... it's essentially a run and gun style of game - no cover system (as you gotta duck behind objects, or manually move behind walls to dodge gunfire).. this adds to the point i was making that it's essentially "run 'n gun"... there is very little actual tactical strategy involved......

BF functions - not as a simulator, but on a much more tactical approach... you can't just run into the open and quickly try to knife someone (you might get picked off by a sniper from a long way away).....

#3 multiplayer is probably the biggest difference.... again, COD's run and gun gameplay makes it easy to essentially run around their small maps, and knife people - not only that, but because a lot of their levels are so close quartered, it's prime for campers.. which if your like me, annoy the hell out of you...

BF's multiplayer maps are about 10 times larger than COD's, so simply running and knifing is not an option... not to mention, campers can easily get eliminated through destructible environments - meaning if you keep getting killed by the same joker who isn't moving - pull out an RPG, and level the wall he is hiding behind... not only is there destructible environments, but the ability to jump into tanks and aircraft to decimate your opponents with... and you don't need to get killstreaks to use them - they are there at the very beginning of the level for anyone to use - and yes.. if you want to bring down a whole building - hit it with enough artillery, and it will come down... something again, COD can't do..

i personally prefer Battlefield over COD on all levels... do i still enjoy the COD games? yes - for what they are... i personally only play the multiplayer for Zombies anymore.. if BF did Zombies - i would never go back to COD lol..... but BF takes everything about COD and perfects it - plus gives you so many more options as to what you can do in the game to eliminate your opponent or enemy.. where as COD is very strict, and very linear..

And it ruined QOS

100% agreed.
    One thing i hate is video game devlopers and writers just don't have balls anymore. case in point so many claim "it would be boring to put cards in the middle of an action shooter" with good writers and developers you could have a bond level where you play cards.
    You're right. Because, those casual gamers don't want to use logic but to shoot everyone in their way.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    The sad thing is that MoH can't compete with BF and CoD... I was really sadden to see the downfall of the MoH franchise these recent years... MOH2010 was rubbish... so was Airborne and Vanguard. IMO, the last good MoH was European Assault. I loved Rising Sun and Frontline and Allied Assault.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    When I think of games that have changed the face of game play dramatically, I think of first Metal Gear Solid (the best game ever made) and now the new Call Of Duty games. They both show a very different kind of gameplay that pushes the envelope for those genres.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 1,856
    when i said it ruined QOS @haserot i meant i was so happy waiting to drive the DBS in the car chase, then that didn't happen, oh well theres the boat chase, DANG IT, oh well the dogfight with the planes?, :O . EA manged to do all of the above in EON & FRWL so why can't astrovision? Because there cheapskate and used COD engine, AND IT DOSEN'T WORK FOR BOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if there had been the 3 aforementioned sequences the game would be 3X better.

Rant over.
    when i said it ruined QOS @haserot i meant i was so happy waiting to drive the DBS in the car chase, then that didn't happen, oh well theres the boat chase, DANG IT, oh well the dogfight with the planes?, :O . EA manged to do all of the above in EON & FRWL so why can't astrovision? Because there cheapskate and used COD engine, AND IT DOSEN'T WORK FOR BOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if there had been the 3 aforementioned sequences the game would be 3X better.

Rant over.
    Yet in BloodStone you get to do some of those things. We drive several great cars and the driving is quite exciting IMO. Besides, NF wasn't Activision but EA, and they dropped us a PC game where you can't do anything besides walking and shooting. I prefer BS and QOS to NF.
    ^ Yes but at nightfire the tech. wasn't available to have driving on a shooter without being free-rome BUT the tech was available in QOS....
    ^ Yes but at nightfire the tech. wasn't available to have driving on a shooter without being free-rome BUT the tech was available in QOS....
    GTA Vice City was released a few weeks prior to NF and offered that technology.
    Please Note WITH OUT FREE_ROME
    Please Note WITH OUT FREE_ROME
    Agreed but if it can be done free-rome, how hard can it be to make it without free-rom? I'm just wondering, that's all. ;;)

Say hello to the next COD-ised Bond Game, published by Craptivsion.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I like CoD 4: MW and MW 2, but CoD: World at War and CoD: Black Ops both suck! Looking forward to MW3, mostly for the campain. I'm more of a Battlefield person anyway.
    CoD 4 was easily one of the best games I've ever played. I enjoyed WaW and MW2, but never considered buying Black Ops - I got sick of the once a year games and the fact the gameplay was becoming 'faster' if that makes any sense. I'll probably buy MW3 to finish out the series, but I did get tired of it after a while.