Is Skyfall losing its gloss and appeal ?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I agree about the family drama, but that is quite a separate point to the one you made about the DB5. You said that all the work done to 'shake it up' in SF was underdone by the inclusion of the DB5.

I didn't say that. The GF DB5, for me, taints the overall tone of the film. I didn't say undone, there are some awesome moments in SF, but what I have a problem with is certain creative decisions that were comparably less well measured than in CR. I'd have binned the DB5 off from the get go if it were up to me, but given that it does exist in both these films its executed much more comfortably and originally in CR. It's a slight bit of class and nowhere near as ham-fisted. I shuddered when I saw it in the trailer, yet again, but I give them Kudos for the whole Demtrious angle. That said, it's appearance is not something synonymous with that film. SF on the other hand used this car front and centre it's very much a key ingredient in the film and the fact they shunned any level of continuity just so Mendes could pretend he was nine again doesn't really wash with me.
    Also there seems to be some serious rose-tinted spec's here with regards to CR. Let's take for granted for a moment your assertion that removing Q and MP from the story is a positive move. Could you not then argue that keeping M in is a negative one?

The way I viewed (and still view) CR is that it was a perfectly balanced departure from what we'd been given for the bulk of the previous forty-four years. It was opening a door to a new, exciting chapter of the cinematic Bond. A lot of the icons had been washed away, while a select few remained, and had CR been a success (which turned out to be the case) I envisaged even more of those icons being either replaced or kept at bay, while they forged on with a new angle and a new take. While they have dipped their toes in the water, I just can't help but feel there's a combination of unwanted melodrama and a sense that we're lurching back towards establishing the iconography of old and I think SP will do similar things, particularly with SPECTRE returning.

I get why this gives everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling of nostalgia, I get excited for these things too, but I do wonder what could have been if they'd really gone out on a limb. If there was ever a time to do it, it was with DC, because we may not have an actor of this calibre for a long while.

This is a delicate discussion because people will jump down my neck with 'Mendes is king' yada yada, and I'm not denying his skill. I love parts of SF, this is just a wider viewpoint on the trajectory as a whole that we're witnessing in this era.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TripAces wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't want a typical Bond movie, I want something unique. I'm absolutely fine with the idea of Bond being down and out, in fact I've said many times, I think he's return to action could have been delayed even longer. What I don't understand is people fawning over this movie for its ability to change things up, yet in the same breath they're absolutely fine for them to parachute in the GF DB5, front and centre. If you're going to shake it up, shake it up.

That may be a straw man's argument. I'm not sure the "change things up" aspect of SF is what is appealing. What is appealing is that Mendes danced a high wire act: presenting a deeper look at Bond's psyche, presenting an "aging" Bond, continuing EON's desire to have a Bond more suitable for the 21st century, presenting a visually stunning film, presenting themes (old vs new, age vs young, uselessness vs usefulness, technology vs traditional ways)...and then doing all of that while also keeping to the Bond brand: "Bond, James Bond." "Shaken, not stirred." Bond girls. The gun barrel sequence. A title sequence and classic-sounding Bond title song. An homage to past films.

I think he pulled all of that off and did so with all of the expertise of the best director to ever put his hands on a Bond film.

No, SF was not completely, wholly original. It wasn't supposed to be.

=D> Bravo, sir! Precisely what I have been trying to say. Mendes does so much with one film and remarkably doesn't fall at any hurdle (although he snags a few).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,554
    I agree about the family drama, but that is quite a separate point to the one you made about the DB5. You said that all the work done to 'shake it up' in SF was underdone by the inclusion of the DB5.

I didn't say that. The GF DB5, for me, taints the overall tone of the film. I didn't say undone, there are some awesome moments in SF, but what I have a problem with is certain creative decisions that were comparably less well measured than in CR. I'd have binned the DB5 off from the get go if it were up to me, but given that it does exist in both these films its executed much more comfortably and originally in CR. It's a slight bit of class and nowhere near as ham-fisted. I shuddered when I saw it in the trailer, yet again, but I give them Kudos for the whole Demtrious angle. That said, it's appearance is not something synonymous with that film. SF on the other hand used this car front and centre it's very much a key ingredient in the film and the fact they shunned any level of continuity just so Mendes could pretend he was nine again doesn't really wash with me.
    Also there seems to be some serious rose-tinted spec's here with regards to CR. Let's take for granted for a moment your assertion that removing Q and MP from the story is a positive move. Could you not then argue that keeping M in is a negative one?

The way I viewed (and still view) CR is that it was a perfectly balanced departure from what we'd been given for the bulk of the previous forty-four years. It was opening a door to a new, exciting chapter of the cinematic Bond. A lot of the icons had been washed away, while a select few remained, and had CR been a success (which turned out to be the case) I envisaged even more of those icons being either replaced or kept at bay, while they forged on with a new angle and a new take. While they have dipped their toes in the water, I just can't help but feel there's a combination of unwanted melodrama and a sense that we're lurching back towards establishing the iconography of old and I think SP will do similar things, particularly with SPECTRE returning.

I get why this gives everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling of nostalgia, I get excited for these things too, but I do wonder what could have been if they'd really gone out on a limb. If there was ever a time to do it, it was with DC, because we may not have an actor of this calibre for a long while.

This is a delicate discussion because people will jump down my neck with 'Mendes is king' yada yada, and I'm not denying his skill. I love parts of SF, this is just a wider viewpoint on the trajectory as a whole that we're witnessing in this era.

You make fair points. If the appearance of the DB5 was a thorn in your side, then it likely puts a damper on the film. That can happen. And I think you make a good case why (for you) it was an issue. For me, and others, it wasn't an issue--it was a nice nod to the past (in the franchise's 50th anniversary). But it's all subjective.

The Beach Boys "California Girls" PTS is one of those "thorny" instances for me. I like AVTAK otherwise, but that song in that PTS just ruins the overall impact of the film for me, and so I rank it mid-pack. Same with the Tarzan call in OP.

Let's just take the Ursula Andress homage as an example. What, in your mind, is the difference between this and LALD SF reference? Because to me they are both reference's to previous film and made for the same reason. 'Warm, fuzzy nostalgia' as you put it. You're right, I don't like relying on nostalgia either, but you have to be consistent. either they are BOTH fine, or they BOTH aren't.

• RC7RC7
    TripAces wrote: »
    I don't want a typical Bond movie, I want something unique. I'm absolutely fine with the idea of Bond being down and out, in fact I've said many times, I think he's return to action could have been delayed even longer. What I don't understand is people fawning over this movie for its ability to change things up, yet in the same breath they're absolutely fine for them to parachute in the GF DB5, front and centre. If you're going to shake it up, shake it up.

That may be a straw man's argument. I'm not sure the "change things up" aspect of SF is what is appealing. What is appealing is that Mendes danced a high wire act: presenting a deeper look at Bond's psyche, presenting an "aging" Bond, continuing EON's desire to have a Bond more suitable for the 21st century, presenting a visually stunning film, presenting themes (old vs new, age vs young, uselessness vs usefulness, technology vs traditional ways)...and then doing all of that while also keeping to the Bond brand: "Bond, James Bond." "Shaken, not stirred." Bond girls. The gun barrel sequence. A title sequence and classic-sounding Bond title song. An homage to past films.

I think he pulled all of that off and did so with all of the expertise of the best director to ever put his hands on a Bond film.

No, SF was not completely, wholly original. It wasn't supposed to be.

=D> Bravo, sir! Precisely what I have been trying to say. Mendes does so much with one film and remarkably doesn't fall at any hurdle (although he snags a few).

I think both of you have brought this up before and I concur (to a point - I don't think anyone should have to, or should really aspire to including homages, birthday or not). I've applauded Mendes before for really trying to put as much as he could into one movie. I don't think he can be particularly criticised for that. I guess for me, on a truly subjective level, it's a bit like someone preparing me a five course meal with very complex dishes that combine many flavours. An interesting experience, with some moments of brilliance and some moments of madness. Where CR is a three course meal, with less ingredients, but all cooked to near perfection. Again, I'm sure for some people it's the other way around.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I think a lot of people have a the same problem people had with the Dark Knight Rises, they went in wanting a Batman movie and Christian Bale is a crippled wreck uncapable of being Batman.

Wow, so not being able to realize Skyfall is a masterpiece is a "problem" really ? :)
    You're right, I don't like relying on nostalgia either, but you have to be consistent. either they are BOTH fine, or they BOTH aren't.

I'm sorry, but what you describe as "double standard" is the basis of what art or entertainment is all about. If you can put your finger exactly where the difference is between what works and what does not work, then it means you've invented a formula that no one else understands. Yes, two actors can deliver the exact same line in the exact same scene, and one will make it work, and not the other. That's unfair, but that's the beauty of it.

Art or entertainement is not rocket science, you never really know why the rocket explodes or flies fine. Marketing is closer to something scientific (if you spend X% more dollars on TV ads, you'll have Y% more people aware, and Z% more people in the theater etc etc). That's why it's almost depressing to see so many people relying on Box-Office to "prove" the artistic merits of a movie, while it is more correlated to the marketing strategy, budget and efficiency. You make your opinion about the movie once you've seen it, not once you've bought your ticket before viewing it.
    I think a lot of people have a the same problem people had with the Dark Knight Rises, they went in wanting a Batman movie and Christian Bale is a crippled wreck uncapable of being Batman.

Well, in the "is Skyfall a masterpiece or not" debate, it seems that the people feeling the need to tell other people that they have basic understanding problems, are only in the "masterpiece" category.

Yes, it's only opinions, but for some it's "fact" (and moreover, a few of them think the box-office is even a "proof" of that "fact"). So allow some of us to indulge in having some fun with these people who think they can prove mathematically that Skyfall is superior to everything else :)

I think you can make a case that Skyfall isn't the best Bond film ever or as good as it was hyped up to be upon release, but I don't see how you could call it a bad film. It's too multidimensional.
  • I think you can make a case that Skyfall isn't the best Bond film ever or as good as it was hyped up to be upon release, but I don't see how you could call it a bad film. It's too multidimensional.

I never called it a bad film, but it's not a masterpiece. In particular, with SF I see a director hammering "old ways are the best" on and on and on... I got it, thanks.

More generally, for me it's part of the Bond fog since TLD/LTK, with CR as the only lighthouse :)

I think you can make a case that Skyfall isn't the best Bond film ever or as good as it was hyped up to be upon release, but I don't see how you could call it a bad film. It's too multidimensional.

I never called it a bad film, but it's not a masterpiece. In particular, with SF I see a director hammering "old ways are the best" on and on and on... I got it, thanks.

More generally, for me it's part of the Bond fog since TLD/LTK, with CR as the only lighthouse :)

doesn't really make sense.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sure it does. CR is the only film that @Suivez like post the Dalton era.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Well look at the writers. When I look at my opinions about the Bond movies, it turns out it correlates with the writers : once they lost Maibaum (after LTK), the only time they got Bond right, IMO, was with the sole movie of that period based a lot on Fleming's story : CR. As Mendes is reported to be very active in the writing of the script (according to the Sony leaks), I think his direction shows also in his writing.
    Well look at the writers. When I look at my opinions about the Bond movies, it turns out it correlates with the writers : once they lost Maibaum (after LTK), the only time they got Bond right, IMO, was with the sole movie of that period based a lot on Fleming's story : CR. As Mendes is reported to be very active in the writing of the script (according to the Sony leaks), I think his direction shows also in his writing.

Ok, If a bond film isn't written by Richard Maibaum and isn't based on Fleming material you don't like it.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Someone reported that P&W intended the SF car to be the same car from CR.
    Thank you!!!!!!
    This explains the steering column dilemma.
    It's just a big fat lazy continuity error.
    Aston Martin is right. The two cars can't be the same in real life, but movies make mistakes, so thus in movie make-believe land, where Judy Dench's M also has her handbag disappear into thin air, during her meeting with Mallory, the two cars can be the same car, despite the bogus left-right steering column option.
    Q Branch, digging out old blueprints and kitting out the car for Bond is easily explained.
    I can sleep easy again.
    As for continued appearances of the car, just file under crowd pleaser.
    I think it's now a staple of the Craig era.
    Personally, I'm disaffected
    It's clearly now a running gag, which we shan't be asked to take seriously.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    SF has become for me the worst outing in the Craig era, and it pains me to see that there is a movie worse than QoB in the franchise. Imho of course. But QoB got more right than wrong and the story in the movie actually makes a lot of sense in comparison. ;)

And yet you still persist in altering QoS's title into something acutely juvenile.

And yet the movie is still a poor mans version of one of the Bourne series with its stunt coordinator and editor at the wheel. Poor mans as some of the action-scenes were poorly executed and way too much CGI, in that aspect they could learn a trick or two of the first three Bourne movies. I found little solace in EONs' rendering a Bourne like movie, a quantum more of their quality might make up for a visual exciting movie. ;)

And calling somebody juvenile does not make you a grown up boy.

Ok, If a bond film isn't written by Richard Maibaum and isn't based on Fleming material you don't like it.

If I read his statements well enough he states that he finds that the script-writing has become less since that time, and considering how many people vilified P&W over the years on these forums I would say that there is a general consensus on that opinion.

And yes while SF had its moments it is a very poorly written script overall.

If I read his statements well enough he states that he finds that the script-writing has become less since that time, and considering how many people vilified P&W over the years on these forums I would say that there is a general consensus on that opinion.

And yes while SF had its moments it is a very poorly written script overall.

Could you elaborate on the poorly written nature of the script please? I am interested to know in what you think it is poorly written.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,691
    QOS has camera work & editing similarities with the Bourne films, no doubt, and it IS a spy franchise like Bourne (but bigger, better & longer running), but that where it ends. Is the next film to be gag-named Spectre of Hunt because it stars an ex M:I girl? :P
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SF has become for me the worst outing in the Craig era, and it pains me to see that there is a movie worse than QoB in the franchise. Imho of course. But QoB got more right than wrong and the story in the movie actually makes a lot of sense in comparison. ;)

And yet you still persist in altering QoS's title into something acutely juvenile.

And yet the movie is still a poor mans version of one of the Bourne series with its stunt coordinator and editor at the wheel. Poor mans as some of the action-scenes were poorly executed and way too much CGI, in that aspect they could learn a trick or two of the first three Bourne movies. I found little solace in EONs' rendering a Bourne like movie, a quantum more of their quality might make up for a visual exciting movie. ;)

And calling somebody juvenile does not make you a grown up boy.

I didn't call you juvenile, I called your childish title juvenile. And being twenty-one, I am for all intents and purposes a "grown up boy." Regardless, I'm not going to lose sleep over people that haven't uncovered the depth and greatness I and so many others find in QoS. It faced great production challenges yet came out as better than a hefty majority of the other films that had twice it's resources, and it's provided me many great hours of introspection on both the character of Bond and myself; for that I am very much grateful. I'm sorry that some people have missed out on that enlightening experience.
  • Ok, If a bond film isn't written by Richard Maibaum and isn't based on Fleming material you don't like it.

Nope, it turns out it's the other way, if I look at those I like, I find that they share this common point : if the story was not by Fleming, it was by Maibaum. And CR wasn't written by Maibaum.

Funny how most SF fans here want to depict other people as simplistic people (who, I guess, simply didn't get all the complexity of SF's genius ;) ).

If you ever saw Oceans Twelve, that scene where the thief jumps through all those lasers. That is a bit like what I get from watching SF. A feeling of a film that is dodging all kinds of hazards and being really quite daring in its ambitition. I'm not saying that it isn't a bit clunky at times or they don't go too far at points. I myself have plenty of criticisms, but nothing that fundamentally breaks my enjoyment. I don't feel like any element out and out failed to the point that you can't look past it if you are enjoying yourself.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138

Nope, it turns out it's the other way, if I look at those I like, I find that they share this common point : if the story was not by Fleming, it was by Maibaum. And CR wasn't written by Maibaum.

Funny how most SF fans here want to depict other people as simplistic people (who, I guess, simply didn't get all the complexity of SF's genius ;) ).

Yeah that's what us Skyfall think, that you sit at home watching Brosnan in adult bibs, I see no evidence that their are two factions Skyfall lover V Skyfall haters. You can't summarise all fans of Skyfall as the same. Thats like saying all Austrian people are evil because Hitler was.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    As I've said before, from my perspective, SF is extremely enjoyable popcorn entertainment with superb acting, characterizations, cinematography, and some interesting underlying themes thrown in. Given what we had to endure during the mid 90's to early 00's, it's quite refreshing and quite inventive. Very engaging too. I especially like how there are so many scenes/concepts that are direct 'throwbacks' to Bond films of old, but re-imagined in a way that does not seem so apparent on first viewing. Perfect for a 50th anniversary film, and skillfully done imho. It's like a creative composite/amalgam.

That's not to say it's perfect mind you....not by a long shot. The film does have script holes. Either they will be plugged by SP (which appears to refer to past films from the trailer) or we will continue to be left to our imagination to ponder Silva's foresight & clairvoyance.

Regarding the DB5, as I said earlier, I don't give it much thought. We've had to make up a reason for why it keeps appearing since GE. If we're really going to blame someone, it should be Martin Campbell, because he reinserted it (with 'Q' lab style custom wine cooler no less!) in that film. It had not been on screen since TB up to that point. Then he went out of his way to introduce it again in the rebooted CR (totally unnecessary in my opinion since it had already been perfectly introduced memorably in GF) to once again get a rise out of us. So much as I like the two Bond movies he's directed, if we're assigning blame for the recent unwelcome (at least among some on this board including myself I might add - although I don't get so worked up about it) reappearances, it should be both Campbell & Mendes, but Campbell started it. As long as people keep clapping and cheering when it shows up, I'm afraid this won't be the last we see of it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I've said before, from my perspective, SF is extremely enjoyable popcorn entertainment with superb acting, characterizations, cinematography, and some interesting underlying themes thrown in. Given what we had to endure during the mid 90's to early 00's, it's quite refreshing and quite inventive. Very engaging too. I especially like how there are so many scenes/concepts that are direct 'throwbacks' to Bond films of old, but re-imagined in a way that does not seem so apparent on first viewing. Perfect for a 50th anniversary film, and skillfully done imho. It's like a creative composite/amalgam.

That's not to say it's perfect mind you....not by a long shot. The film does have script holes. Either they will be plugged by SP (which appears to refer to past films from the trailer) or we will continue to be left to our imagination to ponder Silva's foresight & clairvoyance.

Regarding the DB5, as I said earlier, I don't give it much thought. We've had to make up a reason for why it keeps appearing since GE. If we're really going to blame someone, it should be Martin Campbell, because he reinserted it (with 'Q' lab style custom wine cooler no less!) in that film. It had not been on screen since TB up to that point. Then he went out of his way to introduce it again in the rebooted CR (totally unnecessary in my opinion since it had already been perfectly introduced memorably in GF) to once again get a rise out of us. So much as I like the two Bond movies he's directed, if we're assigning blame for the recent unwelcome (at least among some on this board including myself I might add - although I don't get so worked up about it) reappearances, it should be both Campbell & Mendes, but Campbell started it. As long as people keep clapping and cheering when it shows up, I'm afraid this won't be the last we see of it.

Could'nt have put that better myself.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    ...Regarding the DB5, as I said earlier, I don't give it much thought. We've had to make up a reason for why it keeps appearing since GE.

Perhaps I (and others) were not clear about the specific reasons for the objection to the DB5 in SF – I do not have a problem with the fact that a DB5, or any other MODEL of Aston Martin appears in any Bond film. Storywise, for all we know, it could simply be that Bond likes it so much that he privately coughed up enough £££ for a pristine 2nd hand DB5. This would work fine for GE, TND and CR (where he won it).

The problem I have with SF is that it broke the barrier of suspension of disbelief by having the DB5 with the GOLDFINGER gadgets. That is the crux of the argument.
    It is this particular form of tasteless fanboy inclusion that I find insults my intelligence as a viewer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    The problem I have with SF is that it broke the barrier of suspension of disbelief by having the DB5 with the GOLDFINGER gadgets. That is the crux of the argument.
    It is this particular form of tasteless fanboy inclusion that I find insults my intelligence as a viewer.

Noted, but its continued appearances (which actually are a bit annoying to me) have as much to do with Campbell as Mendes - particularly in CR where it really wasn't necessary except to link us back to the Connery era post-reboot (although I'm not sure one can buy used DB5's on the open market with custom wine coolers, as in the GE version). We're basically running out of reasons to have it legitimately reappear these days, so it keeps getting harder to suspend disbelief.

As @RC7 said earlier, this is purely a marketing move, and to perhaps provide something iconic in a DC Bond film in lieu of 'shaken not stirred', 'gun barrels' and the like. The cheering and clapping in the theatre when I first saw the film suggests that most casual viewers' intelligence, sadly, was not insulted.

Point taken though.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    I would like to add something which is important. Compared to Connery through to Dalton era's the way in which films are funded has changed. Studio's no longer front all the money. Which leads to the product placing with big business paying substancial amounts of money to have their brands and products within films. There are moments of this clear as day such as the mondeo in Casino Royale, The Ford KA in QOS both of which the scenes are filmed like car adverts. The zoomed in shots of Dan opening doors in the films to show the Omega watches. Production/Studio are sacrificing production integrity for the funding to have the films made. Consider QOS the Aston Martin appears only in the PTS. In Casino the Aston Martin DBS is only brefily scene, Majority of whcih is interior shots as Bond tries to use the medical equipment. Perhaps with Aston Martin puting in so much money to the film that unless the car made for the film does not appear for a satisfactory amount of time the answer is to use the DB5 in the story fulfil their contractual obligations to Aston Martin??. The recent alleged leaked emails regarding the new mobile phone for Spectre shows if companies throw money at EON Barbs is prepared to make it clear to her director and leading man that they will sacrafice integrity for cash. Mendes has said he has cut ideas due to it making them over budget, perhaps such deals allow Mendes an increased budget to things previously he would have had to cut?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,600
    The Goldfinger DB5 inclusion is a fair point IF your expectation is a movie that makes perfect sense and fits in with every timeline and also IF your expectation is to view the film with your "intelligence" head on. On that basis, its completely fair to point that out and when I saw the machine guns pop out, I too thought "hold on!". BUT its a relatively small thing in the scheme of things. Bond is pure fantasy, the whole thing requires a suspension of disbelief when you enter the screen. Sometimes it tries to get a little closer to reality than at other times but it is always fantasy. So to place the crux of dislike around a car appearing is a little unfair and disproportionate compared to all of the pluses so well pointed out by bondjames and others. (and, unlike other scenes in Bond movies, it does not require a break in the laws of physics). Again, I have seen similar objections to Star Trek movies from fans who want complete consistancy within that fictional fantasy world (how did Checkov recognise Khan in ST2? who cares?, its a great film!, sit back and enjoy the ride). I find it easier than others to ignore them and just enjoy it for what it is. If you let things like that spoil the movie, you will always be in for a tough time.
    bondjames wrote:
    The cheering and clapping in the theatre when I first saw the film suggests that most casual viewers' intelligence, sadly, was not insulted.

Which is part of the problem :>
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,600
    I hope this does not sound big headed but I am intelligent bloke. But there is a time and place to be analytical and a time and place to loose yourself in a World of familiar characters and thrilling situations. If you get lost in the attention to detail and picking out every mistake, you will lose the element of wonder and escape that cinema offers.
    patb wrote: »
    I hope this does not sound big headed but I am intelligent bloke. But there is a time and place to be analytical and a time and place to loose yourself in a World of familiar characters and thrilling situations. If you get lost in the attention to detail and picking out every mistake, you will lose the element of wonder and escape that cinema offers.

Certainly, and it's the reason I have a far harder time enjoying cinema now compared to my youth - but I still want a minimum of suspension of disbelief. 'Heightened reality' as they say in film speak.

Taking too many liberties with the 'established reality' (ie. the parameters of reality that have set up the rules within the fantasy realm of a particular film) will pull any viewer with a smidgeon of judgement right out of the moment.
    And I was dragged, kicking and screaming, right out of SF the moment those blasted machine guns extended...