Is Skyfall losing its gloss and appeal ?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Mansfield wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree with both @Mansfield & @Getafix in a way.

I too find the scene rather contrived, but I also congratulate Mendes for using it to provide artful insight into characters (Mallory, Bond, MP & M) and forge relationships/create trust within a tense setting (Bond's cheeky wink at Mallory - 'just trust me' - says it all, and I think after that we see that Mallory does indeed trust Bond - evidenced by his going along with the 'breadcrumbs' idea).

Mendes' experience at stage craft is clearly evident here. It's somewhat pretentious, but quite subtly effective nonetheless.
    That moment was my favorite part of the action sequence and it occurs immediately after Bond shoots into the gallery to afford Mallory the seconds needed to pick up a weapon and take cover. Mallory had previously insinuated to M that she only kept his 00 status because she was sentimental about him. Between the cover and the wink, Bond earns his stripes by proving that he isn't out of his league in the game of espionage. Looking ahead to SPECTRE, Mendes stated that Bond is the one with all of the experience and they each (M, MP, Q) risk their lives to help him and the ways they do so will likely pick up from the continuum built in Skyfall. The immense potential of SPECTRE to be the greatest Bond film is due in large part to the mastery of Skyfall in a way that describes exactly why I view it so fondly: As a film that sets out to redefine the franchise as much as it reflects on its history, all of which is done in a concise fashion.

That's true - that one scene was sort of the culmination of a series of scenes that Mendes used throughout the movie to effectively forge credible relationships between new (or at least re-imagined) characters which he re-introduced here but that we the audience have known in one way shape or another for many years through their previous incarnations. It was very well done and likely comes from his mastery of stage.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It's also a damn sight more imaginative than the Raiders rip off Miami sequence in CR.
    Don't get me wrong I love CR but that is the worst part of the film for me, the sinking house sequence which I've always liked is so much better.

As for Silva being foiled by the fire extinguishers to me it makes perfect sense, he's so enraged and obsessed with killing M that he's not thinking straight and by this time Bond has got his A game back and we see Craig finally the full article, not gadgets, no elaborate tricks just some quick thinking and using his surroundings to his advantage. It illustrates a great Bondian moment and the wink to Mallory is pure Craig, he's always been able to sell these subtle humorous asides from the moment we heard him say "I know where you keep your gun. 'Suppose that's something"

As for QOS being better than SF, I just don't see it, SF is far more rewarding watch, I don't sit there thinking what might had been. I like QOS and maybe it's plot does make more sense but to me it's the most flawed entry of the Craig era, the PTS is great but that chase through Sienna is far too fast and edited ridiculously, the boat chase is uneventful and that plane and sink hole sequence are unforgivable, yes Bregenz is brilliant and I like the climax in the desert and Bond confronting Yusef at the end but it's too inconsistent.

SF in comparison doesn't have me thinking this at all, I always feel thrilled and moved by it's experience, I'm not sure I understand the criticism of the dialogue, I think it's got some of the best dialogue of the Craig era. I think Mendes has set out the stall and potential for SPECTRE to be one of the best Bond films of all time and this is thanks to SF.
    I think all the directors in the DC era have had different objectives with their respective movies, and all have hit their objectives more or less.

-Campbell's was to reintroduce Bond credibly and in a new universe closer to a reality that we had with Connery's earlier films - check

-Forster's was to develop his character (while unfortunately contending with an unexpected writer's strike) and give us an action packed book-end to CR's unfinished story- a frenzied speeding bullet of a film according to his own words, in a way echoing Bond's chaotic state of mind during it - check

-Mendes' was to introduce new characters, kill off old ones, forge relationships between all of them, while acknowledging & reminding us of the 50 yr anniversary (the old ways are best) & providing further insight into Bond's character & relevance in a fast changing technological world - check
    Skyfall is especially poor when you compare it to a masterpiece like The Dark Knight and it is hard not to think of that film when watching SF given that Silva was such an obvious Joker clone, he even had pretty much the same plan ( let himself get caught, disguise himself as a policeman ).
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,512
    I think what "Skyfall" puts apart from many other Bond films, is the fact that the lack of narrative strength and lack of better explained background story, in a way, is also the strength of the film.

I'm not convinced you can call 'lack of explanation' a strength. Decent film making relies on the strength of it's internal logic. If that is robust the audience can join the dots without the film maker having to signpost everything along the way. This isn't always easy and to make it foolproof isn't always totally necessary, but it is achievable and will allow for the audience to buy any stretching of that logic. If the base logic isn't robust it simply exacerbates any shortcomings. It doesn't have to play by strict rules of reality, but must work within the world that is presented to us and if that world calls upon something not immediately cogent, it needs at least some explanation to bolster its inclusion. Sometimes it may just be a single line of dialogue. For this reason I have a real problem with the over-reliance on hacking and computer wizardry to mask necessary exposition.

I think his has been discussed before, but at Silva's Island when he talks about 'destabilising a multi-national by manipulating stocks' or 'rigging an election in Uganda', that makes sense within the world. You don't have to know how, but you can join the dots logically. It's something tangible, you'd read about it in a broadsheet, it adds to the feel that this world Bond is operating in is one couched in reality, not fantasy. Then Bond replies 'Or a gas explosion in London?' And now we're in fantasy land because there is no tangible way a man can blow up MI6 using a computer on the other side of the world, otherwise every terrorist on earth would be blowing up government buildings globally. This feels sloppy to me, it satisfies the themes Mendes builds, but it doesn't satisfy the logic. A similar thing happened in White House Down IIRC. If you're going to wow me with the thematic resonance of this whole picture and build multi-layered characters don't insult my intelligence with random instances of computer wizardry to get you from A to B without any explanation.

One of the key factors that I think effects the way some fans and viewers perceive SF is thus; EON pulled out all the stops to hire top talent, not just in front of the camera, but behind it. That is something that has continued with SP. This immediately changes the critical parameters. To give you an example, take Real Madrid. They continually spend huge amounts of money on individual players to try and guarantee success. Sometimes that ethos has worked, at other times it hasn't. One thing is for sure, though. If Real Madrid bring in 'the best talent in the world' and they perform only as well as their neighbours, who've spent considerably less on 'stellar talent', the fans feel short-changed. Particularly if the Chairman, manager etc insist what they have in place is absolutely top notch. People will begin to question this ethos if it doesn't unfold in the way they'd imagined. It's why I don't quite see the argument of 'well silly things always happened in Bond films', firstly that's not entirely true and secondly, it comes across as a poor excuse for what is essentially a team including several individuals who are Academy Award winning. If you're going to spin all the plates I mentioned above, you're duty-bound to keep them going. Just because you're spinning the 'thematics' plate at full tilt, doesn't necessarily mean you can put down the 'logic' plate for a quick breather.

This will clearly come across as critical, but that is the level of expectancy I have with these films nowadays. That in itself should be seen as a massive compliment and why I don't really have time for arguments such as, 'Oh the DB5 was just a 50th anniversary nod'. I don't care for it. Give me stuff that the other films haven't, tell me a cracking story and leave all the little nostalgic flourishes to one side, particularly if you're going to short-change me with the logic of the plot, something that is tantamount to making an engaging caper.

A lot of what I feel is good about SF has already been mentioned on here and I'm not one of those fans who hates it by any means, I watch the film as a romp primarily, rather than the complex, multi-layered epic that some fans consider it to be. I find the themes do have resonance, but they're often hit home a little heavy at times and on one or two occasions with a wrecking ball. It's a film that's made with heart rather than head.

One key problem I have is that it flirts with a lot of ideas, which is commendable, but it's overly dense. The characters are richly painted and Craig and Bardem, in particular, are totally on top of their game. Craig is wounded, yet charismatic, while Bardem is electric. He'll probably go down as one of the best. But again even with this it does too much, too many characters vying for screen time. I can appreciate Mendes wanting to cram in as much as he did, but I personally think it's overkill. Too many ideas competing with and against each other and not enough time to service them all.

I find SF to be an enjoyable film, it's a good ride if you go with it, but that for me is almost solely down to the characters, the visuals and the crafting of the shots, not the story. If the story was as gripping then I'd rate it much higher than I do, but it is relatively linear without any real revelatory twists and turns. I think of the Bardem cell scene, 'Say my real name', it's articulated in such a way that you feel something gripping is about to come to the fore... Nah, actually he was just an agent from Hong Kong, the same thing Tanner said an hour previously, 'Probably someone from her Hong Kong days'. Just not enough genuinely thrilling plotting in my eyes. In CR we lose the supposed villain well before the end of the film and we haven't even got to the Vesper revelation.

Yes it plays in areas previously unreserved for Bond films and I do commend that, but it still covers it's arse with a veneer of familiarity and nostalgia. I don't buy the 50th anniversary as an excuse for this. Who did actually decide that the film series' had to honour their own existence every ten years?

Verdict for me (which hasn't change since I first saw it incidentally): Enjoyable, but disjointed. CR still the benchmark.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SF is mass appeal nonsense. Bad script warm-over of TWINE elements with the cool death scene. Bond, Star Trek II style without the plausibility. Like AVTAK & MR, I have such a hard time getting through it now I won't even bother. Default to QOS. Look forward to SP.
    The WRITING is important.
    Otherwise just give us a funny and/or action filled Bond.
    DAD is better than SF because it's ENTERTAINING, QOS is a better & GREAT Bond film.
    end rant
    :))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    chrisisall wrote: »
    SF is mass appeal nonsense. Bad script warm-over of TWINE elements with the cool death scene. Bond, Star Trek II style without the plausibility. Like AVTAK & MR, I have such a hard time getting through it now I won't even bother. Default to QOS. Look forward to SP.
    The WRITING is important.
    Otherwise just give us a funny and/or action filled Bond.
    DAD is better than SF because it's ENTERTAINING, QOS is a better & GREAT Bond film.
    end rant
    :))

How can a film be 'mass appeal nonsense' but not in the least bit entertaining. Surely the mass market is looking to be entertained?
    RC7 wrote: »
    I think what "Skyfall" puts apart from many other Bond films, is the fact that the lack of narrative strength and lack of better explained background story, in a way, is also the strength of the film.

I'm not convinced you can call 'lack of explanation' a strength. Decent film making relies on the strength of it's internal logic. If that is robust the audience can join the dots without the film maker having to signpost everything along the way. This isn't always easy and to make it foolproof isn't always totally necessary, but it is achievable and will allow for the audience to buy any stretching of that logic. If the base logic isn't robust it simply exacerbates any shortcomings. It doesn't have to play by strict rules of reality, but must work within the world that is presented to us and if that world calls upon something not immediately cogent, it needs at least some explanation to bolster its inclusion. Sometimes it may just be a single line of dialogue. For this reason I have a real problem with the over-reliance on hacking and computer wizardry to mask necessary exposition.

I think his has been discussed before, but at Silva's Island when he talks about 'destabilising a multi-national by manipulating stocks' or 'rigging an election in Uganda', that makes sense within the world. You don't have to know how, but you can join the dots logically. It's something tangible, you'd read about it in a broadsheet, it adds to the feel that this world Bond is operating in is one couched in reality, not fantasy. Then Bond replies 'Or a gas explosion in London?' And now we're in fantasy land because there is no tangible way a man can blow up MI6 using a computer on the other side of the world, otherwise every terrorist on earth would be blowing up government buildings globally. This feels sloppy to me, it satisfies the themes Mendes builds, but it doesn't satisfy the logic. A similar thing happened in White House Down IIRC. If you're going to wow me with the thematic resonance of this whole picture and build multi-layered characters don't insult my intelligence with random instances of computer wizardry to get you from A to B without any explanation.

One of the key factors that I think effects the way some fans and viewers perceive SF is thus; EON pulled out all the stops to hire top talent, not just in front of the camera, but behind it. That is something that has continued with SP. This immediately changes the critical parameters. To give you an example, take Real Madrid. They continually spend huge amounts of money on individual players to try and guarantee success. Sometimes that ethos has worked, at other times it hasn't. One thing is for sure, though. If Real Madrid bring in 'the best talent in the world' and they perform only as well as their neighbours, who've spent considerably less on 'stellar talent', the fans feel short-changed. Particularly if the Chairman, manager etc insist what they have in place is absolutely top notch. People will begin to question this ethos if it doesn't unfold in the way they'd imagined. It's why I don't quite see the argument of 'well silly things always happened in Bond films', firstly that's not entirely true and secondly, it comes across as a poor excuse for what is essentially a team including several individuals who are Academy Award winning. If you're going to spin all the plates I mentioned above, you're duty-bound to keep them going. Just because you're spinning the 'thematics' plate at full tilt, doesn't necessarily mean you can put down the 'logic' plate for a quick breather.

This will clearly come across as critical, but that is the level of expectancy I have with these films nowadays. That in itself should be seen as a massive compliment and why I don't really have time for arguments such as, 'Oh the DB5 was just a 50th anniversary nod'. I don't care for it. Give me stuff that the other films haven't, tell me a cracking story and leave all the little nostalgic flourishes to one side, particularly if you're going to short-change me with the logic of the plot, something that is tantamount to making an engaging caper.

A lot of what I feel is good about SF has already been mentioned on here and I'm not one of those fans who hates it by any means, I watch the film as a romp primarily, rather than the complex, multi-layered epic that some fans consider it to be. I find the themes do have resonance, but they're often hit home a little heavy at times and on one or two occasions with a wrecking ball. It's a film that's made with heart rather than head.

One key problem I have is that it flirts with a lot of ideas, which is commendable, but it's overly dense. The characters are richly painted and Craig and Bardem, in particular, are totally on top of their game. Craig is wounded, yet charismatic, while Bardem is electric. He'll probably go down as one of the best. But again even with this it does too much, too many characters vying for screen time. I can appreciate Mendes wanting to cram in as much as he did, but I personally think it's overkill. Too many ideas competing with and against each other and not enough time to service them all.

I find SF to be an enjoyable film, it's a good ride if you go with it, but that for me is almost solely down to the characters, the visuals and the crafting of the shots, not the story. If the story was as gripping then I'd rate it much higher than I do, but it is relatively linear without any real revelatory twists and turns. I think of the Bardem cell scene, 'Say my real name', it's articulated in such a way that you feel something gripping is about to come to the fore... Nah, actually he was just an agent from Hong Kong, the same thing Tanner said an hour previously, 'Probably someone from her Hong Kong days'. Just not enough genuinely thrilling plotting in my eyes. In CR we lose the supposed villain well before the end of the film and we haven't even got to the Vesper revelation.

Yes it plays in areas previously unreserved for Bond films and I do commend that, but it still covers it's arse with a veneer of familiarity and nostalgia. I don't buy the 50th anniversary as an excuse for this. Who did actually decide that the film series' had to honour their own existence every ten years?

Verdict for me (which hasn't change since I first saw it incidentally): Enjoyable, but disjointed. CR still the benchmark.

CR is the benchmark for a strong plot? :)) If it weren't for that 'your friend Mathis' line the audience would be left scratching their head for the next 30 minutes. Why does Le Chiffre say that again? To throw bond off the scent? seems pretty strange, he really More like the script writers desperately scrambling for a way for bond to suspect someone other than Vesper so they just have the villain incriminate him for no reason. That way Bond (and more importantly the audience) doesn't suspect Vesper and they can have their little romantic interlude. Now that's what I call a plot convenience!
    3:-O
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,138
    And for the record I also love YOLT even though Blofeld cleared a volcano without any detection ( Q. where did the rubble go I wonder? A. I just don't care)

Well, he did have Osato Chemicals to do most of his grunt work. But that's somewhat beside the point. In a film that's deliberately OTT there's no point in asking such questions (and I doubt it even occurs to anyone to do so). When I saw Kingsman, I never questioned why Samuel Jackson was able to build a lair into the side of a mountain that a plane could land in. Absurd yes, but it's not that kind of movie. SF was mostly played straight. It's not Bourne or the Tailor of Panama, but it takes itself seriously enough that people are justified in asking pragmatic questions.

On an unrelated note, apparently when SF was released here the scenes in Shanghai and Macau were heavily censored to the point of making the plot very confusing. I'm hoping that doesn't happen with SPECTRE.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    How can a film be 'mass appeal nonsense' but not in the least bit entertaining. Surely the mass market is looking to be entertained?
    Ya got me! Okay, I MEAN that SF *seems* very heady, but it's simplistic at its core: DAD is simplistic all around, and as such, is better pure entertainment.
    RC7 wrote: »

Did you....quote only that sentence? Or did you also read my entire post @RC7?
    If you're going to wow me with the thematic resonance of this whole picture and build multi-layered characters don't insult my intelligence with random instances of computer wizardry to get you from A to B without any explanation.

R7: don't you know that in movies computers are magic? They can do literally anything. ;)
    The Bond producers and studio are going to look at Skyfall, much like they did for Goldfinger, and extract elements for future films.

Oh God help us! It's bad enough GOLDFINGER was used as a template for Bond films. Now SKYFALL? Oh God!
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,263
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Oh God help us! It's bad enough GOLDFINGER was used as a template for Bond films. Now SKYFALL? Oh God!
    It's just a game of numbers. Aside from the near universal praise from critics and cinema enthusiasts, the bottom dollar is the real driving force behind the business. Taking the highest previous grossing film for each actor, the numbers tell the rest:

From Russia With Love Worldwide Box Office Gross: $78,900,000
    Goldfinger Worldwide Box Office Gross: $124,900,000
    Percent Increase: 58%

Casino Royale Worldwide Box Office Gross: $599,045,960
    Skyfall Worldwide Box Office Gross: $1,108,561,013
    Percent Increase: 85%

It's not by chance they were deliberate in waiting for Sam Mendes to return to the helm to up the ante in a follow-up adventure. While SPECTRE will likely bear little resemblance in plot to Skyfall, many of the essential elements introduced in Skyfall will be present, such as exploring another childhood backstory of Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2015 Posts: 7,527
    It might be worth noting that Thunderball ($141mm 1965) was the most financially successful Bond film of all time, adjusted for inflation, until Skyfall ($1.065b according to the Bank of Canada inflation calculator). If the Goldfinger/Skyfall comparison is to be made (iconic Bond film, putting the butts of the masses back in Bond theatre seats), it's reasonable to expect SPECTRE (as long as it's halfway decent) to make somewhere in the range of one and a quarter billion dollars worldwide.

It raises a few questions: Was Thunderball's financial success owed primarily to the quality of the preceding film Goldfinger? Why wasn't more of Thunderball used as a blueprint for following Bond films, or was it?
  • "Is Skyfall SUDDENLY losing its gloss and appeal?" Evidently not. The film still has plenty of supporters, along with a handful of stubborn detractors. Yes, the storyline has its weaknesses, but the film's gloss seems unlikely to fade any time soon. Perhaps a more appropriate question might be, "Are Haters EVER going to stop hating?" As before, the answer is probably: "No, of course not, don't be silly..."

As far as @NickTwentyTwo's question is concerned: Yes, Thunderball's financial success is partially attributable to the popularity of Goldfinger...but it was also a function of the full scale media blitz given to TB by the studio and Eon Productions. It's hard to remember unless you lived through it, but TB was literally on the cover of every magazine in America for several months when it was released. If it was a magazine on photography, it focused on the film stock used to make Thunderball; if it was a magazine on sports then the cover article that month was on scuba diving in Thunderball. The effect of a promotional campaign that widely spread cannot be underestimated. Credit the success of GF if you'd like but at that point in time James Bond was a cultural phenomenon in full sway.
  • RC7RC7
    Did you....quote only that sentence? Or did you also read my entire post @RC7?

I quoted your opening gambit and then tried to explain why people may or may not judge SF on different terms. I also hinted at aspects we agree on, but if you want a more thorough response, see below...
    --> ACTING: Foremost this is IMO the biggest strength of "Skyfall". I think seeing Javier Bardem being consumed by the character Raoul Silva, makes you actually forget about plot holes. And I think this is part of the success of the film. "Skyfall" is not so much about memorable action sequences. But IT IS about memorable scenes in general. Examples: Silva's grand entrance (perhaps reminiscent of previous grand entrances of Bond villains from the 1960's), Silva's insane little William Tell game with Bond (Seeing Silva shooting down Severine is ONE of my personal highlights of the film), and Silva's conversation with "M" (until the gory moment when he puts out his prosthesis). Does it belong in a Bond film? I welcome change, and off course I think this approach can belong in a Bond-film.

I agree that the acting on the whole is great, as I said in my previous post, with Bardem being a highlight of the film. Severine's scene is also a really powerful moment. Harris delivers the weakest performance in my eyes. When you say, 'Does it belong in a Bond film?' Are you referring to Silva's facial deformity?
    --> CHARACTERS: As I said before, screenplay writing is IMO about three things: a) Plot/Story, b) Characters and c) Dialogue. B) and C) are IMO the highlight of the "Skyfall" screenplay. Yes, some people tend to disagree with that. But movies can not be groundbreaking if one can't twist and change the technical rules of screenplay writing. I heard people saying that the "rule should be that screenplay must have a good well-explained story/plot". What counts for me is the impact of the total package; the finished film, not just one aspect like plot. Obviously "Skyfall" worked in that sense. And even set a new standard. The screenplay of "Skyfall" also hold up because of ingenious dialogue. Not so much the humor-parts, but especially the tense dramatic parts of dialogue are well-crafted. Does this approach belong in a Bond-film? Why not!

This is first and foremost a film, it should therefore service a decent story across the 2+ hours I'm watching. That's the least I ask for. SF has a story, but it's a little disjointed in my eyes and relies too much on the crash, bang, wallop, to mask any deficiencies or oddities that are presented. Silva's omniscient manner doesn't help this. In a TV series you can get away with certain episodes that maybe don't progress the central narrative because they are taking a breather to build characters or their backgrounds. Film doesn't allow this in the same way. You have to progress the characters and the story at the same time, something I'm not sure SF always does. It doesn't not do it, but I think it could be better balanced. The fact we're talking about this regard a Bond film is a positive, though. The character work on the whole is great, with the exception of MP. Her whole arc doesn't satisfy me in the slightest. I wouldn't have included her. Another side note on character - every time they gave DC a Moore-esque witticism it diminished the overall feel of the character. It didn't suit him. I don't understand how Mendes can show attention to detail with the dramatic aspects, but then think it's equally fine to throw in one-liners here and there which are completely off-kilter. Bond doesn't do this in the previous two outings, he's more sardonic.
    --> DRAMA: Many "typical" Bond films found this aspect too forced, sometimes even irritating. I think this is because Bond films usually are not famed for having good drama, nor is the taste of typical Bond fans very supportive of emotional drama. And let's face it, Sam Mendes is a drama director. Still, good drama IMO is always derived from well-written characters and their backgrounds. The definition is: "It depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes. It is the theme that puts the characters in conflict with themselves, others or society." Regardless of the plot, the actual motives of the characters, like those of Silva, 'M' and Bond, are entirely believable. It's not so much about "HOW" the events, leading to the motives of the characters, happened. But "Skyfall" is more about the "WHY", why the characters are acting in the film like they do. WHY is Silva so vengeful. WHY does Bond get a shut-down when his doctor refers to "Skyfall". WHY is 'M' such a mother figure to Bond.

I like any dramatic weight that can be added to these films. While we have DC in the role we might as well make the most of it. The most powerful moment in the series is, for me, is Vesper's death. More so than Tracy's and definitely more than M's. There are also some brilliant bits of drama in QoS, but they seem few and far between in the mire of action. SF brings it back round again and allows for time to breath. I do think Bond's return to London is quite quick, I'd actually like to have seen him spiral even further and take much longer to get his shit together. The trajectory is a little off to me. Yes I agree that the question should be always be 'Why?' Why a character does something is key. It doesn't always make complete sense, though. Silva's actions aren't ever fully explained, I still don't know whether he intended for everything to fall into place, or whether it was a combination of planning and chance. The fact this wasn't explicitly clear on first viewing was annoying. I just got the impression that whenever they'd written themselves into a corner, or needed to get from A to B, they'd fall back on computer wizardry to allow them to do something dramatically interesting but bereft of logic. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Linking to that is the notion of 'why' Bond would take 'M' to SF. Because it's the only option, or because it neatly compliments hi-tech/low-tech themes? My instinct says the latter. It's just a little trite. How do we get there, Q lays some electronic breadcrumbs. What is this? Bond using his credit card in a shop in Scotland? Or is Q trying to lay a fake trail elsewhere to keep Silva at bay? I'd quite like to know as it means nothing on the surface. It feels like this is a moment where Q should be operating at the top of his game to lure Silva, but we just have to assume he does it. Strange, given he's been screwed by Silva at every turn up until that point. It's all left unexplained because we're straight into 'childhood drama' by then. Something I'd have happily seen scrapped, or at least stripped back.
    One can disagree on taste. And obviously a lot of Bond fans in here didn't like it. But I can only conclude that those people who paid some Dollars leading to that $1.1 Billion box office indirectly set a new and original standard. Apparently, they didn't miss the lack of a tight well-explained plot or memorable action sequences on first viewing. So "Skyfall" could indeed get an evergreen status in the near future. The insane amount of topics, in which "Skyfall" is discussed even more than many other Bond-films, could also be seen as another wonderful success. So please, Sam Mendes really deserves more credit for all this.
    [/quote]

I don't think people are actively seeking plots that are lacking, but I think SF does enough to keep the film ticking along at a decent pace, with enough smoke and mirrors that you don't start to question the motives and actions of the characters too heavily. I think this is why this topic has arisen. Because some fans, after multiple viewings, are starting to question whether this is actually a brilliant story or just a mediocre, but lovely looking one that is well executed? As I said in my previous post, I've had problems with SF from day one, so I'm not someone who has retrospectively downgraded it. I have some small issues with it, some large, but for the sake of simplicity the 'hacking/computer magic' to use a catch-all term, and 'The omniscient Silva' are my two biggest problems. They took me out of the movie on my first viewing at the premiere, a place in which I could be forgiven for wearing rose-tinted glasses. It left me scratching my head and that's a shame, because a lot of it is brilliantly done.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It might be worth noting that Thunderball ($141mm 1965) was the most financially successful Bond film of all time, adjusted for inflation, until Skyfall ($1.065b according to the Bank of Canada inflation calculator). If the Goldfinger/Skyfall comparison is to be made (iconic Bond film, putting the butts of the masses back in Bond theatre seats), it's reasonable to expect SPECTRE (as long as it's halfway decent) to make somewhere in the range of one and a quarter billion dollars worldwide.

It raises a few questions: Was Thunderball's financial success owed primarily to the quality of the preceding film Goldfinger? Why wasn't more of Thunderball used as a blueprint for following Bond films, or was it?

I have always thought about this. TB was the film that was released when Bondmania peaked. GF was the film that wowed the audiences, and TB benefited from that. YOLT fell away a little - maybe due partly to TB and partly because that mania simply had to die away a little at some point.

GF was a blueprint, due to the Aston Martin, Oddjob and other iconic moments.

People have to realise that in 1964 this was an all action movie, a real treat for thrill seeking audiences. It's no good comparing GF to later Bonds or later action movies, you can only compare it to pre-1964. And despite the accusation that GF was boring and Bond was a prisoner for a large part of the film blah blah it is still the film that really got the movie series to where it needed to be for longevity sake.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,169
    " The film still has plenty of supporters, along with a handful of stubborn detractors. Perhaps a more appropriate question might be, "Are Haters EVER going to stop hating?"
    This one is for you, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs :
    "How to Tell the Difference Between Criticism and Hate"
    http://www.dangerandplay.com/2015/02/15/tell-difference-criticism-hate/
    ;-)
    I personally think TB has been riffed many times since. How many times since have we seen shark attacks, sexy baddies (Lotte does not count I'm afraid), world domination plots, underwater fights etc?. I don't see too many similarities between GF & TB (I wasn't around when these movies came out, so I don't know how it appeared to people then) - just that TB is much bigger in scope and scale, similar to how GF is bigger than FRWL & YOLT is bigger than TB. To me TB is more of a blueprint because I see it as the most credible large scale Bond they did in the early days (I personally find YOLT just a little OTT and also not as good and GF far smaller in scale). I can understand why GF has more resonance with the casual fan general public though (similar to how SF likely will going forward) as it probably was the one that really put Bond on the map and introduced new fans to the series.

Good points on SF @RC7. I can't disagree with anything you've said and you're absolutely right, but like @Gustav_Graves I am not bothered by any of it - to me it's just a very entertaining, well acted movie (plot holes and all) with some interesting thematic elements thrown in - nothing more. If dissected, its flaws are readily apparent and you've noted them well.
    The film still has plenty of supporters, along with a handful of stubborn detractors. Yes, the storyline has its weaknesses, but the film's gloss seems unlikely to fade any time soon. Perhaps a more appropriate question might be, "Are Haters EVER going to stop hating?" As before, the answer is probably: "No, of course not, don't be silly..."

These type of posts are worse than all the 'haters' in the world.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    I've seen a few posts concerning it, but my favorite aspect of SF as a whole is that it takes Bond and embraces the "old ways" that are so much a part of his character.

Part of his uniqueness as a character is his (partial) rejection of postmodern society and life. He's very old school, and without that characteristic he becomes just another action hero. SF brought back Bond, I thought, and has the most Fleming in it of any of Craig's films while still embracing what makes cinematic Bond so spectacular.

Bottom line: It's a classic Bond film for the 21st Century. It understands the character and how to lay that groundwork for the character, and then brings him into the 21st Century to move the series forward. I love that balance of "old school" and "looking forward."

Whenever you have too much of either you either A) fall into a rut creatively, or B) Lose Bond as a character, I think.
  • Sark wrote: »
    The film still has plenty of supporters, along with a handful of stubborn detractors. Yes, the storyline has its weaknesses, but the film's gloss seems unlikely to fade any time soon. Perhaps a more appropriate question might be, "Are Haters EVER going to stop hating?" As before, the answer is probably: "No, of course not, don't be silly..."

These type of posts are worse than all the 'haters' in the world.

Oh? Why? At least @Zekidk has something to offer in response, and thanks for that, @Zekidk!
    This film is not the type of film that goes in one direction and nails it. This film goes in every direction and still manages to come out positive. That is what makes the film so impressive, it sets it’s sights so staggeringly high that when it makes it through without falls to pieces your left utterly astounded.
    3:-O
    Oh? Why? At least @Zekidk has something to offer in response, and thanks for that, @Zekidk!

Because it refuses to acknowledge that anyone might have legitimate points of view or concerns, instead labeling everyone who doesn't think Skyfall is the best Bond film ever as a "hater".
    The DCINB crowd are haters. They'd decided that Craig couldn't be Bond from the moment he was announced and there's nothing EON could do to dissuade them. Saying that SF has plot holes that detract from the enjoyment, particularly on repeat viewing, is not mindless hatred. Particularly people who supported Craig's first two outings. I think relatively few of the people who don't think SF is the be all end all of Bond hate it, I certainly rate it much higher than DAD.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 7,527
    The problem is that those who say that Skyfall has plot holes (or inconsistencies or implausibilities) that take them out, and spoil their enjoyment of the film are correct. If they're enjoyment is spoiled, then it's spoiled. Additionally, those that say they can look past inconsistencies and implausibilities and still enjoy what is in their view a great Bond film are also correct. Its hard to control what you enjoy. It's hard to really see a point in discussing this ad nauseum because both sides are right, and aren't going to be swayed by the other side.

While I don't necessarily see @Sark eye to eye on our opinions of Skyfall, I agree with his latest sentiment 100%.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sark wrote: »

Because it refuses to acknowledge that anyone might have legitimate points of view or concerns, instead labeling everyone who doesn't think Skyfall is the best Bond film ever as a "hater".
    The DCINB crowd are haters. They'd decided that Craig couldn't be Bond from the moment he was announced and there's nothing EON could do to dissuade them. Saying that SF has plot holes that detract from the enjoyment, particularly on repeat viewing, is not mindless hatred. Particularly people who supported Craig's first two outings. I think relatively few of the people who don't think SF is the be all end all of Bond hate it, I certainly rate it much higher than DAD.

Yes 'haters' is wrong, and I used the word myself - but only because I couldn't think of an alternative at the moment I wrote the post. It seems an easy word to adopt. :-)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,756
    I really want to LOVE Skyfall, after all I went into the film with a huge amount of anticipation and after the viewing it was mindblowing, however there is just a lot about it I just don't like. I don't like the digital look, I don't like Moneypenny, I don't like Bond and Moneypenny together, locations aren't really classy, except London. Bardem is forgettible and unlikable. Don't like the "old vs new" theme either. The best part of the film for me is the Scottland sequence. Don't get me wrong, I really really like this film, it's in my top 5, but I can't love it like CR. I could watch that all day, and even right now.

Also, that MI6 explosion scene was a joke. Terrible filmmaking, I could have filmed a better scene than that. I don't know what Dench was thinking, her acting was reminisnt of a high school play.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I really want to LOVE Skyfall, after all I went into the film with a huge amount of anticipation and after the viewing it was mindblowing, however there is just a lot about it I just don't like. I don't like the digital look, I don't like Moneypenny, I don't like Bond and Moneypenny together, locations aren't really classy, except London. Bardem is forgettible and unlikable. Don't like the "old vs new" theme either. The best part of the film for me is the Scottland sequence. Don't get me wrong, I really really like this film, it's in my top 5, but I can't love it like CR. I could watch that all day, and even right now.

Also, that MI6 explosion scene was a joke. Terrible filmmaking, I could have filmed a better scene than that. I don't know what Dench was thinking, her acting was reminisnt of a high school play.

Then you must really dislike the other 18 films in the canon...

waitasecond.jpg

Ok, I can tell this isn't my thread.