It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• edited April 2022 Posts: 1,280
    Holding On by Conjure One was considered for SP before Sony had commissioned for rewrites and there was a search for a known singer that would appeal to younger audiences. While QoS was relying in a first draft with rewrites on the whim by DC and Forster, it shows how difficult these movies are to make but also the setbacks seen later on due to reversion towards formulaic and marketing driven tactics.

I just listened to Holding On by Conjure One and from the very start of the song, you can hear Craig's style of Bond starting from an image that strikes curiosity into a mysterious organization or event across SF to SP.

I forgot to mention, the name of the song is STILL Holding On....it was in fact considered well before SP but for SF. This was dropped due to marketing considerations but also it held more to the Vesper story arch following QoS before the producers went in another direction and SF had its own song correlating to its plot. Just listening to the first few seconds you can see the emotional style of DC's unforgettable Bond moments and story arc come into play. The lyrics incorporate inspiration of the idea of him surviving and continuing his job despite all the heartaches he has gone through. There's still hope in him. This is the original version before all the eventual remixes by various artists who flocked to the song after seeing it as a "reject", which should actually be considered a loss for better potential.

Given the sad beginning and hopeful confident-boosting tone at the end of the song, you can tell that if the third DC movie would have continued the Quantum story arc, it would also have wrapped it up and we wouldn't have had this amazing tribute to what started in CR by the time NTTD came out years later, wouldn't you agree @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 ?

• 007HallY wrote: »
    JustJames wrote: »
    With Safin you wonder if it was just to link ‘young’ Safin to ‘present day’ Safin, and give him a backstory (that echoes QoS a little) and easy to recognise outside of the mask ‘look’. It could have been handled better, and the odd thing is that in the books Bond himself has a cliche scar. One good way to avoid having your ‘scarred/disabled’ characters always lazily coding as ‘evil’ is to have some good guys also have scars. (Which DCs Bond actually does on his chest if I recall)

Blofeld is just because ‘tradition’ and didn’t need them, Silva’s were hidden and therefore thematic to the story. (Bonds scars are beneath his shirt of course) Primo is a bit lazier/weirder, and Le Chiffre also falls into the ‘disfigured person is evil’ trope, and Bond mocking him maybe isn’t the win he thinks it is. (Which is somewhat undercut but Le Chiffre deceiving him using it thankfully) But then, modern bond in particular does *try* to do something thematic and different in terms of using the characters bodies as part of the story being told.

I remember disabled characters being generally better served in the books… one of the MI6 staff was in a wheelchair in one of the books for instance, and as I mentioned, Bond himself has a visible scar on his face.

Yes, Strangways from LALD and DN even has an eyepatch. Not to mention Leiter with his fake leg and hook. Most of the villains are just odd looking in the books, sometimes overweight and/or ugly. Even Drax has more distinctive aspects of his character than just his scars (his hair, teeth, personality etc.) I think a big part of it is due to the fact that the books are set in a post WW2 era where young men returned home sometimes with visible wounds. If anything these sorts of scars were more associated with heroism in Fleming's mind than evil (arguably this is sort of the case even with Drax, as he's posing as a British industrialist/war hero).

It's certainly more noticeable in the Craig era to have villains with disfigurements/scars. I do find it a bit lazy sometimes, but perhaps I come at that from a specific point of view. I'm a fan of Green and I feel he's actually one of the more Fleming-esque villains of the Craig era. I'm still holding out for a good looking but ultimately evil b*stard of a villain such as Largo from TB. Would also like to see a future film where Bond's scars on his body are on display, but are depicted as more a consequence of his profession rather than a more debilitating single injury as in SF and TWINE.

NTTD was somewhat rushed into production in a sense given that the original director left and made a stink about it. Danny Boyle wanted his own stand alone movie plot-driven with a classic plot but....when producers along with DC didn't see eye to eye with Boyle's vision, what did he do? He spoiled THEIR ending saying that's the reason he left.

The handling of Safin must have suffered at the cost of production changes so a quality actor was brought in board but there just wasn't enough time to focus much on his character both scriptwise and physically. Of course the lesson I think the producers will get is to ditch the whole villain scar thing next time.
    007HallY wrote: »
    With Safin you wonder if it was just to link ‘young’ Safin to ‘present day’ Safin, and give him a backstory (that echoes QoS a little) and easy to recognise outside of the mask ‘look’. It could have been handled better, and the odd thing is that in the books Bond himself has a cliche scar. One good way to avoid having your ‘scarred/disabled’ characters always lazily coding as ‘evil’ is to have some good guys also have scars. (Which DCs Bond actually does on his chest if I recall)

Blofeld is just because ‘tradition’ and didn’t need them, Silva’s were hidden and therefore thematic to the story. (Bonds scars are beneath his shirt of course) Primo is a bit lazier/weirder, and Le Chiffre also falls into the ‘disfigured person is evil’ trope, and Bond mocking him maybe isn’t the win he thinks it is. (Which is somewhat undercut but Le Chiffre deceiving him using it thankfully) But then, modern bond in particular does *try* to do something thematic and different in terms of using the characters bodies as part of the story being told.

I remember disabled characters being generally better served in the books… one of the MI6 staff was in a wheelchair in one of the books for instance, and as I mentioned, Bond himself has a visible scar on his face.

Yes, Strangways from LALD and DN even has an eyepatch. Not to mention Leiter with his fake leg and hook. Most of the villains are just odd looking in the books, sometimes overweight and/or ugly. Even Drax has more distinctive aspects of his character than just his scars (his hair, teeth, personality etc.) I think a big part of it is due to the fact that the books are set in a post WW2 era where young men returned home sometimes with visible wounds. If anything these sorts of scars were more associated with heroism in Fleming's mind than evil (arguably this is sort of the case even with Drax, as he's posing as a British industrialist/war hero).

It's certainly more noticeable in the Craig era to have villains with disfigurements/scars. I do find it a bit lazy sometimes, but perhaps I come at that from a specific point of view. I'm a fan of Green and I feel he's actually one of the more Fleming-esque villains of the Craig era. I'm still holding out for a good looking but ultimately evil b*stard of a villain such as Largo from TB. Would also like to see a future film where Bond's scars on his body are on display, but are depicted as more a consequence of his profession rather than a more debilitating single injury as in SF and TWINE.

NTTD was somewhat rushed into production in a sense given that the original director left and made a stink about it. Danny Boyle wanted his own stand alone movie plot-driven with a classic plot but....when producers along with DC didn't see eye to eye with Boyle's vision, what did he do? He spoiled THEIR ending saying that's the reason he left.

The handling of Safin must have suffered at the cost of production changes so a quality actor was brought in board but there just wasn't enough time to focus much on his character both scriptwise and physically. Of course the lesson I think the producers will get is to ditch the whole villain scar thing next time.

Yes, I do get the sense Safin's character was rushed. Heck, Malek and Craig even outright said they were coming up with dialogue during the confrontation between the characters at the end (which might explain the cliched dialogue and muddled world domination motivation). Anyway, I agree, best to shelve the scars and disfigurements in Bond villains going forward. There's little precedent doing so in Fleming and it's been overused. Green is a better template for a Bond villain going forward in that sense. To my mind more Fleming-esque.

Still have no idea what really happened with Boyle. I know a rumour floated about after he left that he did so because of the ending (probably untrue, seems Craig and the producers had this ending in mind early on so Boyle would have been aware of it/incorporated it into his script) but this could have come from anyone and not necessarily Boyle himself. Honestly really want to read his original script. I suspect it's bonkers having seen Trance (2013).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Boyle said 'I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up...We were working very, very well, but they didn’t want to go down that route with us. So we decided to part company.' The implication being that EON didn't like the script that John Hodge was writing and wanted to keep Boyle but ditch Hodge - whereupon Boyle and Hodge jumped ship together. He also said that Hodge's script wasn't finished. Anyone know what happens in scenarios like this? Will EON own the unfinished script or will Boyle and Hodge be able to repurpose it for a film of their own?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Venutius wrote: »
    Boyle said 'I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up...We were working very, very well, but they didn’t want to go down that route with us. So we decided to part company.' The implication being that EON didn't like the script that John Hodge was writing and wanted to keep Boyle but ditch Hodge - whereupon Boyle and Hodge jumped ship together. He also said that Hodge's script wasn't finished. Anyone know what happens in scenarios like this? Will EON own the unfinished script or will Boyle and Hodge be able to repurpose it for a film of their own?

My guess would be that anything written at the request of EON is EON's property. They're quite good at making sure they have the intellectual ownership. They learned it the hard way.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,954

I didn't realise the script wasn't finished. Ah well, I've said it many times, I don't think we'll ever know 100% what went down. For what it's worth Boyle is a very impressionistic director (lots of scenes in Trainspotting, 127 Hours, Trance etc. blur the lines between reality and fantasy, especially from the point of view of certain characters). It's not what you want when it comes to Bond. I said it myself when he was first announced, he wasn't the right fit. I doubt he'll be back or they'll use anything from his script.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 1,280

Yes, I do get the sense Safin's character was rushed. Heck, Malek and Craig even outright said they were coming up with dialogue during the confrontation between the characters at the end (which might explain the cliched dialogue and muddled world domination motivation). Anyway, I agree, best to shelve the scars and disfigurements in Bond villains going forward. There's little precedent doing so in Fleming and it's been overused. Green is a better template for a Bond villain going forward in that sense. To my mind more Fleming-esque.

Still have no idea what really happened with Boyle. I know a rumour floated about after he left that he did so because of the ending (probably untrue, seems Craig and the producers had this ending in mind early on so Boyle would have been aware of it/incorporated it into his script) but this could have come from anyone and not necessarily Boyle himself. Honestly really want to read his original script. I suspect it's bonkers having seen Trance (2013).

Boyle also said "They wanted me to kill James Bond"....he spoiled it because be wasn't getting his way with a fan style 007 movie where the plot is grand and at full front and center of the movie direction, the sets overcompensate for the lack of character development and the plot driven movie is predictable.

Boyle also said "They wanted me to kill James Bond"....he spoiled it because be wasn't getting his way with a fan style 007 movie where the plot is grand and at full front and center of the movie direction, the sets overcompensate for the lack of character development and the plot driven movie is predictable.

So, from what I can tell there were two rumours floating around in 2019. One was that it was Danny Boyle who wanted to kill off Bond and the other (albeit much less popular headline) was that he quit because the producers wanted him to kill off Bond. I can find quite a few articles about these two things from 2019 actually, although I can't see any direct quote from Boyle about it like the one you're referring to (although maybe I'm not looking hard enough, I really don't know). Actually they're rather interesting reading them now, ie. https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/killing-off-james-bond-was-it-director-danny-boyles-idea

I'm going to bet killing Bond had absolutely nothing to do with it, and Hodge's script probably included an ending with Bond dying based on Craig/the producer's request. Again, Boyle's story was probably full of some weird and impressionistic moments that would have been out of place in a Bond film, and the story was most likely too low key or not right.
    It's not what you want when it comes to Bond. I said it myself when he was first announced, he wasn't the right fit.

Agreed. I was disappointed when Boyle was announced as the director and was glad when he left. I know it's subjective, but I honestly can't imagine any aspect of NTTD that would've been better with Boyle at the helm. No offence, DB fans!

edited May 2022 Posts: 2,934
    My guess would be that anything written at the request of EON is EON's property. They're quite good at making sure they have the intellectual ownership. They learned it the hard way.

Good point, CommanderRoss. I imagine you're spot on with that - makes perfect sense.

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    I remember reading that Boyle wanted the script to be topical and have Russians as the villains, since it went into production around the time of the Trump/Russia allegations. I don't think the ending had anything to do with Boyle leaving since the movie literally was only made because Craig wanted to kill off his own character.
    Yes, exactly. Judging by Craig's comments in that January 2022 Variety piece, there wouldn't have been a NTTD without Bond's death as that's what lured him back to make the film. Dan's also said 'we had an ending and had to hang the film off that' - doesn't that mean that no matter what else was in it, Boyle and Hodge's script would've had to lead up to Bond dying? It's difficult to see them signing on with the understanding that they'd be writing Bond's death, only for them to baulk at it when the time came. I don't see any reason to doubt Boyle's own account that EON didn't like the Hodge script and wanted to break up the Boyle/Hodge partnership. Now, if only we knew why they didn't like it...
    Attempting to bring this conversation back onto QOS, I do think when it comes to Bond directors a more conservative approach to filmmaking is preferable. Forster is an example of a director who clearly had goals of stylistic experimentation - you can see it in stuff like the fact that the interrogation/chase scene at the beginning had numerous cuts to the horse race (for me, it comes off as something a first year film school student would do, and actually ruins the pace of an otherwise tense scene. The editing tactic works better during the opera chase though). The pacing issues seen in this film seem to be due to his vision for QOS too (he wanted it to be 'tight and fast, like a bullet" supposedly).

Now, Boyle is a better director than Forster, but he's anything but conservative in his filmmaking. Even Cary Fukanaga and Sam Mendes display this more so than the former two.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oh man, I love those random shots we get edited throughout. It can be jarring, sure, but it's the right type of experimental to me. There's a lot of artsy flair to the cinematography without feeling too pretentious to me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Oh man, I love those random shots we get edited throughout. It can be jarring, sure, but it's the right type of experimental to me. There's a lot of artsy flair to the cinematography without feeling too pretentious to me.

To each their own. My issue with the editing in those scenes is that it adds nothing and to me feels unnecessarily showy. It's not important for storytelling but is meant to be 'thematic' and yet conveys little. Even emotionally it takes me out of the film/interrupts the tension. Again, that's just me. I'm also not a fan of too much shakey camerawork as it makes action hard to follow and is a bit distracting.

I do like a lot about QOS, but I wish another director had been picked for a more no nonsense stylistic approach.
    For a film with such a short runtime, I don't think it takes away from anything or impedes the pacing in the slightest. In fact, I love those little hints at what's to come while also showcasing the aftermath of stuff (like how, later in the chase, we cut back to the chaos of the shooting and folks pointing in Bond and Mitchell's direction).

Shaky, chaotic camerawork with action is always a disappointment to me but I think I'm so biased with this film and have seen it so much that I don't mind it and have no problem following the action now.
    For a film with such a short runtime, I don't think it takes away from anything or impedes the pacing in the slightest. In fact, I love those little hints at what's to come while also showcasing the aftermath of stuff (like how, later in the chase, we cut back to the chaos of the shooting and folks pointing in Bond and Mitchell's direction).

Shaky, chaotic camerawork with action is always a disappointment to me but I think I'm so biased with this film and have seen it so much that I don't mind it and have no problem following the action now.

Yes, agree totally. As for the crowd in that foot chase scene, am always convinced one guy is pointing at the camera unaware he's on a movie set!!
    Again, to each their own. Maybe I'm just a bit more conservative myself in my filmmaking preferences!

I will say that I love a lot of elements of QOS's story. For me this is where it succeeds rather than the much of the stylistic choices. Bond going 'rogue' isn't as much him wanting revenge but trying to get to the bottom of what's going on. If anything it's MI6 who think he's become a loose cannon. For me, this is more convincing than Bond doing things like breaking into M's flat in CR (I generally think Bond should be more of a blunt instrument, not a Jack Bauer type constantly disobeying orders etc). It works. Good job film.

I also love Camille and her backstory. I know they actually were considering her coming back for a future Craig film which would have been interesting.

Green is an underrated villain, and to me much more in-keeping with the strange looking sadists of Fleming's novels. I personally think he's more Fleming-esque and less cliched than Le Chiffre in CR.

The scene where Bond and Camille are a moment away from suicide in the burning hotel is one of the highlights of Craig's era for me.

I like Fields. I don't care who knows it.

While I have many problems with this film it does have its moments. I wish we'd have gotten a slightly different version of this film - perhaps with a different director, another draft of the script etc. Ah well...
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Yes, agree totally. As for the crowd in that foot chase scene, am always convinced one guy is pointing at the camera unaware he's on a movie set!!

That's a fun thing to look for in these films, especially the older ones. @Birdleson has a running list somewhere, it's wild how often it happens but I guess it's inevitable with such large scale sequences. Hell, you can see a ton of fans roped off during the TWINE PTS, watching Bond's escape (I believe, and not his entrance) from the bank.

@007HallY, I can agree with you on a lot of that, especially the near-suicide bit. When I saw it in theaters at the time, I genuinely thought for a brief second that it was going to end that way, a sort of murder-suicide for the two of them while in one another's arms. That scene is incredibly effective and powerful.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Venutius :
    He also said that Hodge's script wasn't finished. Anyone know what happens in scenarios like this? Will EON own the unfinished script or will Boyle and Hodge be able to repurpose it for a film of their own?

Eon commissions scripts, so whatever is written under the agreement is owned by Eon, forever. They’re free to do with it whatever they please. They can use characters and ideas, or even have the script re-written, all without fear of being sued.

The only time writers own their work is on spec (they write and submit a script for free). But if the script is optioned, any rewrites will be owned by the purchaser (the studio).

If, after the option expires, the writer is free to take back their original draft, but NOT the rewrites they did under option (those are still owned by the studio).
    Excellent - thanks, Peter. I guess the Boyle/Hodge script has disappeared into the EON vault alongside MGW's Bond origin script, Paul Haggis's search for Vesper's child script, John Lodge's Blofeld African warlord SP script, etc.
    Y'know, Marc Forster 's taken a lot of stick for things he either didn't do or wasn't responsible for - and he's still getting it, by the look of it. After all, Forster didn't shoot the action scenes in QOS, he didn't edit QOS and he wasn't the one who gave the actual editors only six weeks to edit the whole film instead of the usual 12 weeks. Even EON seem to have propped him up as the fall guy to take all the flack. I'm not known for my positivity, but with QOS I much prefer to look at what Forster managed to bring in under some really difficult circumstances.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    I myself love the quick editing. It is a work of art. It’s easy to follow and makes your heart race as if you were there. I love how funny Bond looks when he flies crashing the boat, it’s almost as funny as when the Havana guy says “Mr Bond” in DAD. How indestructible Craig is makes it fantastical without detracting from the realistic tone.

The action editing in CR was almost as fast paced as in QoS, haters. The Cuba shootout in NTTD was harder to follow despite being “slower”.

Y'know, Marc Forster 's taken a lot of stick for things he either didn't do or wasn't responsible for - and he's still getting it, by the look of it. After all, Forster didn't shoot the action scenes in QOS, he didn't edit QOS and he wasn't the one who gave the actual editors only six weeks to edit the whole film instead of the usual 12 weeks. Even EON seem to have propped him up as the fall guy to take all the flack. I'm not known for my positivity, but with QOS I much prefer to look at what Forster managed to bring in under some really difficult circumstances.

I'd argue he should get some of the blame in the sense that as the Director he sets the creative direction of the editing and action sequences. I'm an editor myself and even on short films and music videos the director sits beside the editor after the assembly cut and has a lot of input. Perhaps some leave the first two cuts to the editor before getting involved (as does Ridley Scott) but in this case they would have been told in advance the type of pace, rhythm, ideas etc. they wanted in the sequences and the film as a whole. It's unlikely they just came up with that style without Foster's knowledge or input. Same for the action sequences.

The tight schedule, however, was certainly beyond his control. That and BB and MGW were willing to go with his 'tight and fast as a bullet' vision. I can see why they didn't bring him back, however.
  • Venutius wrote: »

Yes, the studio rushed his crew into the 6 week editing period. Plus, a director is supposed to put their creative touch one way or another on a movie....shaking my head at the haters.

Let's not forget....the production on QoS for most of their night time scenes aside from the Greene Planet party scene was rather lonely....very few crew members were behind the camera as Craig acted out his final scene with Mathis.

Craig began selling his scenes with the facial expressions in that scene and also with the burning hotel near-death and suicide attempt with Camille.
    David Arnold picked up and ran off with the idea of how lonely production became. It added to his the air of melancholy on the soundtrack.
    Yes, some good points there, 007HallY, and I'm sure you're right about Forster having input into and oversight of the editing decisions even if he wasn't doing the job himself. I do wonder if it was Forster's decision to go with the quick cuts that were in vogue at the time or if EON wanted that style for the film. I don't know if Forster or EON would've had final cut - anybody know? Peter?
    However, I do think that they consciously hired Dan Bradley as First Unit director for his own style, not simply to work to Forster's instructions. This aspect of QOS really makes sense when you look at Bradley's own description of his directing style: 'We shouldn’t try and make everything feel perfectly staged. I want to feel like we were lucky to catch a glimpse of some crazy piece of action. I don’t want it to feel like a movie, where everything is perfectly presented to the audience...if it is too easy to see then, to me, it feels staged. I don’t want the audience to have a passive viewing experience.' That explains a lot about QOS, I think!
    Bradley also said that he was responsible for the actual action scenes themselves: 'I write most of the action that I shoot, so the first thing I asked Marc is if he minded me taking a pass at the action in this script. Fortunately he really liked what I dreamt up.' Which, in conjunction with Bradley's directing technique, explains why the action scenes in QOS resemble Dan Bradley's previous work far more closely than they do Forster's.
    According to Forster, Barbara Broccoli did ask him to come back and make Craig's third Bond film, but he declined. I don't know if BB asked him to direct another one before or after the reviews for QOS came in, though... ;)
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, some good points there and I'm sure you're right about Forster having input into and oversight of the editing decisions even if he wasn't doing the job himself. I do wonder if it was Forster's decision to go with the quick cuts that were in vogue at the time or if EON wanted that style for the film. I don't know if Forster or EON would've had final cut - anybody know? Peter?
    However, I do think that they consciously hired Dan Bradley as First Unit director for his own style, not simply to work to Forster's instructions. This aspect of QOS really makes sense when you look at Bradley's own description of his directing style: 'We shouldn’t try and make everything feel perfectly staged. I want to feel like we were lucky to catch a glimpse of some crazy piece of action. I don’t want it to feel like a movie, where everything is perfectly presented to the audience...if it is too easy to see then, to me, it feels staged. I don’t want the audience to have a passive viewing experience.' That explains a lot, I think!
    Bradley also said that he was responsible for the actual action scenes themselves: 'I write most of the action that I shoot, so the first thing I asked Marc is if he minded me taking a pass at the action in this script. Fortunately he really liked what I dreamt up.' Which, in conjunction with Bradley's directing technique, explains why the action scenes in QOS resemble Dan Bradley's previous work far more closely than they do Forster's.
    According to Forster, Barbara Broccoli did ask him to come back and make Craig's third Bond film, but he declined. I don't know if BB asked him to direct another one before or after the reviews for QOS came in, though... ;)

A year after QoS came out, BB, MGW, the writers and Marc Forster did a Q&A.....BB stated she had asked Forster to return but he refused. Forster turned toward her and said "really, did I?" and the audience laughed.

The studio rushed the editing.
  • Holding On by Conjure One was considered for SP before Sony had commissioned for rewrites and there was a search for a known singer that would appeal to younger audiences. While QoS was relying in a first draft with rewrites on the whim by DC and Forster, it shows how difficult these movies are to make but also the setbacks seen later on due to reversion towards formulaic and marketing driven tactics.

I just listened to Holding On by Conjure One and from the very start of the song, you can hear Craig's style of Bond starting from an image that strikes curiosity into a mysterious organization or event across SF to SP.

I forgot to mention, the name of the song is STILL Holding On....it was in fact considered well before SP but for SF. This was dropped due to marketing considerations but also it held more to the Vesper story arch following QoS before the producers went in another direction and SF had its own song correlating to its plot. Just listening to the first few seconds you can see the emotional style of DC's unforgettable Bond moments and story arc come into play. The lyrics incorporate inspiration of the idea of him surviving and continuing his job despite all the heartaches he has gone through. There's still hope in him. This is the original version before all the eventual remixes by various artists who flocked to the song after seeing it as a "reject", which should actually be considered a loss for better potential.

Given the sad beginning and hopeful confident-boosting tone at the end of the song, you can tell that if the third DC movie would have continued the Quantum story arc, it would also have wrapped it up and we wouldn't have had this amazing tribute to what started in CR by the time NTTD came out years later, wouldn't you agree @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 ?

Has anyone heard this song? The beginning really sounds like the end of a pre title scene where the title credits begin to role about a tragic shot or kill that's affected Bond.
    Yes, some good points there, 007HallY, and I'm sure you're right about Forster having input into and oversight of the editing decisions even if he wasn't doing the job himself. I do wonder if it was Forster's decision to go with the quick cuts that were in vogue at the time or if EON wanted that style for the film. I don't know if Forster or EON would've had final cut - anybody know? Peter?
    However, I do think that they consciously hired Dan Bradley as First Unit director for his own style, not simply to work to Forster's instructions. This aspect of QOS really makes sense when you look at Bradley's own description of his directing style: 'We shouldn’t try and make everything feel perfectly staged. I want to feel like we were lucky to catch a glimpse of some crazy piece of action. I don’t want it to feel like a movie, where everything is perfectly presented to the audience...if it is too easy to see then, to me, it feels staged. I don’t want the audience to have a passive viewing experience.' That explains a lot, I think!

Presumably it would have been EON who had final cut rights. Generally, however, it's the Director who sits with the Editors after an assembly cut for creative input. Producers usually come in for a screening later on in the process to give their own notes before the Editor goes back into the editing room for the final cut. This is, of course, in an ideal world. Sometimes Directors don't want much if anything to do with the editing process but in my (albeit more limited) experience the best projects are fine tuned when the Director has that input at that stage.

Anyway, tight schedule aside I think some of this stems from Forster's approach as a Director. He seems a bit hands off going from the Dan Bradley situation (I can't imagine Cary Fukanaga or even Sam Mendes taking that approach with a First Unit Director, at least not without some sort of consistency with their vision). The editing can certainly be a bit strange in QOS. Cutting to horse races aside, the scene where M, Tanner and Bond are walking through the MI6 building has some very odd cuts - at one point they're walking downstairs and then we cut to a wide shot where it take us a moment to realise we're behind the characters and we've jumped the line. They jump the line again when the round the corner. Very jarring without any sense of orientation to the space. Stuff like that shows to me a lack of cohesion/planning between shooting and editing which is usually the fault of the Director.
    Thanks for that, 007HallY. I remember Doug Liman saying that he'd not only sat in all the way through for the editing process of The Bourne Identity, but had actually told the editor how he wanted it doing as they went along. The fact that Liman went out of his way to stress that made me think that it wasn't the standard way of doing things and that Forster was probably much more hands-off with the editing of QOS than is generally presumed. I'm sure you're right about the likely way it was done - it makes a lot of sense that the actual editors would assemble a cut before Forster came in to refine it, with the producers then having input after that. Good to get your insider knowledge of how these things actually work in practice.