It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

Since62 wrote: »
    It seems different folks have different thresholds. I've been reading about development of real nanobots for so long that it does not strike me as absurdly off in the future.

As soon as they started talking about Nanobots in the film,it immediately made me think of the various Star Trek shows where they used Borg nanoprobes.

• edited March 2022 Posts: 1,280
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    It seems different folks have different thresholds. I've been reading about development of real nanobots for so long that it does not strike me as absurdly off in the future.

As soon as they started talking about Nanobots in the film,it immediately made me think of the various Star Trek shows where they used Borg nanoprobes.

As soon as they started talking about Nanobots...I thought about the pandemic and how much more credible it would have been to call it a virus.

But think about it: if it was simply called a virus, they would have been accused of using a lazy plot device a-la Silva's hacking skills and escape. Or the whole Home Alone trap design, or that Sam Mendes fanboy of Goldfinger where he overuses and abuses the Aston Martin car.

I'm surprised that people aren't turned off by how offsetting the Boris-clone guy was in NTTD.

Now that Amazon has bought MGM, a tv series NOT featuring James Bond but rather Felix Leiter and Beam can be a possibility. Or a whole season to be built as the bridge between the Quantum storyline and Spectre storyline, i.e. what happened to Guy Haines, where is Yusef now....and have directors of old Bond movies come back and direct entire seasons. Marc Forster and his modernism style with Felix, Guy Haines and Judi Dench as M as their contact while Bond is away on some missions and can't be shown on screen. Jeffrey Wright, Judi Dench, and the murky Quantum and its demise under Spectre's tentacle...hey, it could happen.

As soon as they started talking about Nanobots...I thought about the pandemic and how much more credible it would have been to call it a virus.

But think about it: if it was simply called a virus, they would have been accused of using a lazy plot device a-la Silva's hacking skills and escape. Or the whole Home Alone trap design, or that Sam Mendes fanboy of Goldfinger where he overuses and abuses the Aston Martin car.

I'm surprised that people aren't turned off by how offsetting the Boris-clone guy was in NTTD.

Now that Amazon has bought MGM, a tv series NOT featuring James Bond but rather Felix Leiter and Beam can be a possibility. Or a whole season to be built as the bridge between the Quantum storyline and Spectre storyline, i.e. what happened to Guy Haines, where is Yusef now....and have directors of old Bond movies come back and direct entire seasons. Marc Forster and his modernism style with Felix, Guy Haines and Judi Dench as M as their contact while Bond is away on some missions and can't be shown on screen. Jeffrey Wright, Judi Dench, and the murky Quantum and its demise under Spectre's tentacle...hey, it could happen.

Never going to happen.The Craig era is over.Done.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »

Never going to happen.The Craig era is over.Done.

What about the rest of the post...before the Amazon tangent?

About lazy plot devices and dumbing down things.
  • Hope about Daniel Craig in a down-to-earth and character driven version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reboot? It doesn't have to be cannon with NTTD.
    I would be surprised by a sequel of reboot of LOEG. It was not a great financial success.
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
  • Bueno1694 wrote: »

The fire escape scene is a true dramatic highlight of the Craig era. The first time I watched it I thought Bond was going to take Camille's life so she wouldn't die against her will by fire involving Medrano.
  • Since62 wrote: »
    I would be surprised by a sequel of reboot of LOEG. It was not a great financial success.

The first one was trash thanks to the director of it. The property of LOEG has some value in it that hasn't been demonstrated. With a smaller budget and a focus on quality acting and a character driven story rather than special effects, Daniel Craig could turn in a profit to the studios. The story can also reduce the cast to exclude Invisible Man or other unrealistic characters. Or perhaps it can provide realistic versions as metaphors (invisible man can be a homeless person). In fact, the James Bond version of LOEG and the metaphorical invisible man would have a memorable discussion.

Smaller budget films are more easy to turn in a higher profit. Unfortunately in the 80s, thanks to MR's budget, the John Glenn movies had smaller budget with each subsequent film. Something about Glenn's movies that are dated the wrong way...they weren't the best at all. If the quality is in the characters, the audience can easily become engaged enough to forget about action being needed so much.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Bueno1694 wrote: »

The fire escape scene is a true dramatic highlight of the Craig era. The first time I watched it I thought Bond was going to take Camille's life so she wouldn't die against her will by fire involving Medrano.

Yeah I thought the same, it was brilliant acting by Olga and Daniel, she looks petrified of the fire like a childhood trauma and Craig sells that little moment, as he considers sparing her that terrible death.

I wish more of the film had been that tense. I always think Forster missed a trick not showing, us the audience, if Camile or Medrano was shot. That would have been a great tense scene if the audience and Bond didn't know who survived in that other fight
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    Bueno1694 wrote: »

Yeah I thought the same, it was brilliant acting by Olga and Daniel, she looks petrified of the fire like a childhood trauma and Craig sells that little moment, as he considers sparing her that terrible death.

I wish more of the film had been that tense. I always think Forster missed a trick not showing, us the audience, if Camile or Medrano was shot. That would have been a great tense scene if the audience and Bond didn't know who survived in that other fight

Doesn't QoS leave you feeling empty inside?

It kind feels like Batman Returns: another film that has the femme fatal spirit like Vesper, with the resilience and physicality of Camille. Each one leaves at the end.

The following sequel, Batman Forever, was overmarketed/hyped and rode off the fans of Batman Returns in hope of helping tie up loose ends but we never got that. Plus, that forever sequel was dumbed down in many ways to include tropes and cliches.

Again, empty inside?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,928

Bond holding Camille close in the flames, being gentle and compassionate with her in the midst of all that violence and ruin, paralleled him holding Vesper in the CR shower scene after the stairwell fight, too, right?
    Empty inside? Yes - his prison is in there, etc. Camille can't free him from it because it's largely self-imposed, so only he can do that. QOS leaves Bond to a cold, loveless life, never again to allow himself to feel for anyone the way he did for Vesper. 'Lesson learned' and locked away. We get some sense of the emptiness that Bond himself feels.

The first one was trash thanks to the director of it. The property of LOEG has some value in it that hasn't been demonstrated. With a smaller budget and a focus on quality acting and a character driven story rather than special effects, Daniel Craig could turn in a profit to the studios. The story can also reduce the cast to exclude Invisible Man or other unrealistic characters. Or perhaps it can provide realistic versions as metaphors (invisible man can be a homeless person). In fact, the James Bond version of LOEG and the metaphorical invisible man would have a memorable discussion.

Smaller budget films are more easy to turn in a higher profit. Unfortunately in the 80s, thanks to MR's budget, the John Glenn movies had smaller budget with each subsequent film. Something about Glenn's movies that are dated the wrong way...they weren't the best at all. If the quality is in the characters, the audience can easily become engaged enough to forget about action being needed so much.

Craig return, in a sense, to the role of Bond ? Doubtful...
    Also - it's clear you're a fan of the LOEG source material, but that does not describe more than a significant minority of film-goers (um...tv watchers, now ?) or studio executives, especially those doling out the money. Even if the material were handled poorly by the folks who made LOEG, didn't they get the basic idea across ? Aaaaannnd, it did not set the cinemas on fire. Perhaps that first chance was so poorly handled that it ruined chances for any subsequent productions, but enough came across for execs to know they're not going to devote money to it again. There's many other comics and graphic novels to try on, after all. Perhaps a tv production. Even so, good luck getting money for it. Perhaps your fandom, ie, your appreciation of the source material, is encouraging you to be hopeful, but not realistic.
  • Venutius wrote: »

Bond holding Camille close in the flames, being gentle and compassionate with her in the midst of all that violence and ruin, paralleled him holding Vesper in the CR shower scene after the stairwell fight, too, right?
    Empty inside? Yes - his prison is in there, etc. Camille can't free him from it because it's largely self-imposed, so only he can do that. QOS leaves Bond to a cold, loveless life, never again to allow himself to feel for anyone the way he did for Vesper. 'Lesson learned' and locked away. We get some sense of the emptiness that Bond himself feels.

During NTTD, as the missiles were heading onto the 60s style secret underground layered island, images of Vesper held by Bond, Camille and Bond in the fire, Bond holding M were coming to mind.

That prison which Bond has in his mind....is that why we are left feeling empty inside at the end of QoS?
    Yeah, partly. It also comes from the last scene being set in (and Bond walking off into) the dark and cold, which reflects his inner state, and the last shot being Vesper's necklace in the snow to show where he's left those emotions and that part of him. Er, maybe! It's also because Forster removed the original final scene where Bond killed Haines and Mr. White. That would've ended QOS on much more of an up and much of the sense we get of Bond's personal emptiness would've been lost as we cheered the 'Bond, James Bond' line and saw Mr. White get what's coming. Doesn't mean I don't want to finally see that scene, though, obvs!
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Yeah, partly. It also comes from the last scene being set in (and Bond walking off into) the dark and cold, which reflects his inner state, and the last shot being Vesper's necklace in the snow to show where he's left those emotions and that part of him. Er, maybe! It's also because Forster removed the original final scene where Bond killed Haines and Mr. White. That would've ended QOS on much more of an up and much of the sense we get of Bond's personal emptiness would've been lost as we cheered the 'Bond, James Bond' line and saw Mr. White get what's coming. Doesn't mean I don't want to finally see that scene, though, obvs!

That necklace also symbolized Yusef more than Vesper.

The cold snowy dark scene was a metaphor in itself, like you said. There were very few crewmen shooting that scene, similar to the Mathis shooting. This adds to the whole air of melancholy for the scene and overall mood in the film as production.

The cold, dark Kazan night....Bond and M, like strangers in Moscow, only had one another to talk about his inner emotion. The walking off into the cold dark night....metaphoric indeed.
    Yes, dropping the necklace and leaving it behind also symbolises the end of his personal mission to get Yusef, the man responsible for dragging Vesper into something that led to her death. Good spot, mate.
    I liked how Bond left Yusef alive to be a source of information - or trading, though I doubt Quantum would have cared about having him back - instead of killing him. The running not-quite-gag in CR and even in QOS was that Bond killed folks and didn't keep them alive for interrogation. It wasn't his fault, though, Ma'am ! That was how the various fights ended ! I also like how M did not seem to mind that in QOS, the villain Dominic Greene was found dead, with a belly full of motor oil. Here's a question, by the way, what happens to the Canadian agent after she left the building, leaving Bond alone with Yusef ? Some significant de-briefing / interrogation, surely. Does she get prosecuted ?
  • Since62 wrote: »
    I liked how Bond left Yusef alive to be a source of information - or trading, though I doubt Quantum would have cared about having him back - instead of killing him. The running not-quite-gag in CR and even in QOS was that Bond killed folks and didn't keep them alive for interrogation. It wasn't his fault, though, Ma'am ! That was how the various fights ended ! I also like how M did not seem to mind that in QOS, the villain Dominic Greene was found dead, with a belly full of motor oil. Here's a question, by the way, what happens to the Canadian agent after she left the building, leaving Bond alone with Yusef ? Some significant de-briefing / interrogation, surely. Does she get prosecuted ?

Not sure about the Canadian agent but yes, her character had lots of potential, especially given that she was mentioned about earlier in the film's epic Tosca opera scene.

Here is something very few people mention.....QoS has plenty of humor but it doesn't upstage the show or distract the audience from its overall morale. That's better than the forceful lines driven through in NTTD or SF. The darkness of the credible plot and the character depth of Camille's story as a parallel, or somewhat of a metaphoric ghost of Bond's inner reflection has so much pull to it. Keep in mind, Vesper Lynd only appears in a photo during the plane scene and yet her presence is felt in a mystical level throughout the movie.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 1,280

This recent interview with a Quantum of Solace stunt double who also played in SF and SP proves the 2AM night shoots with very few production staff doing big things in places like the slums of Panama to film Quantum of Solace.

The impact of QoS was even bigger for those involved which lends itself to the air of deep emotion in its dramatic scenes.

Don't you all notice the difference in quality and atmospheric mood when directors film on location in all places such as in QoS versus when they use Pinewood Studios (a-la "Macao" in SF)? SF did a great job of capturing subtle moments with an air of melancholy when shot at the Scottish Highlands, which was breathtaking and immersive.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited April 2022 Posts: 1,006

I think this is old news. What we need are CR and QOS remastered in 4K.

SF, SP, and NTTD are already mastered in 4K.

• I think this is old news. What we need are CR and QOS remastered in 4K.

SF, SP, and NTTD are already mastered in 4K.

Not to forget....an extended version of QoS whose footage exists.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I was hoping for an official release of HAPPY & GLORIOUS as an extra, but it isn't mentioned.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I was hoping for an official release of HAPPY & GLORIOUS as an extra, but it isn't mentioned.

QoS had great shots and cinematography. If the film is given a better edit by say, Daniel Craig, these scenes/shots/the story would go hand in hand with a 4k re-release.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I'd be more interested in a QOS re-edit that lengthens the individual shots and reincorporates the original ending than I'd be in Bond 26.
  • slide_99 wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in a QOS re-edit that lengthens the individual shots and reincorporates the original ending than I'd be in Bond 26.

The original ending can't be used but everything else can help make a better movie that QoS was cut short from.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    The ending they ultimately chose is absolutely perfect.
  • The ending they ultimately chose is absolutely perfect.

The rest of the movie deserves justice. It was such a potentially better film. So much property could have spun off of that by now: Felix & Beam, Camille's life after vengeance....SF wouldn't have had as much emotional depth without Bond & M's relationship in this movie alone....Tanner with an actually interesting cast actor that's stayed and appeared at events for fans around the world and has been billed with many other actors from the Craig and past Bond movies....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2022 Posts: 17,691
    QOS rocked on almost every level.