It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• Mathis1 wrote: »
    That scene where Bond and Moneypenny visit Q while he's cooking....versus M, Bond, and Kincade at Skyfall manner. Which one showed more chemistry between the actors?

Quantum of Solace was missing such a chemistry scene.

I always liked the relationship between Bond and M in QOS! She was still his boss, and yet was his defender/ protector. Love the opening scene before and with Mr. White, and the hotel confrontation after Fields death. Certainly prefer this M, to the grumpy granny she became in SF!

Without QoS, SF would not have had as much merit for Bond and M's relationship.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That scene where Bond and Moneypenny visit Q while he's cooking....versus M, Bond, and Kincade at Skyfall manner. Which one showed more chemistry between the actors?

In Quantum the closest to this are scenes with Mathis, the one at his Villa and the one on the airplane.
  • talos7 wrote: »

In Quantum the closest to this are scenes with Mathis, the one at his Villa and the one on the airplane.

Especially the one on the airplane...wow!

Yes, that was the Dramatic Scene of QoS! Nothing as dramatic until Vesper's picture shows up once again in NTTD....SP id it tkk but it didn't use the Vesper theme.
    talos7 wrote: »

Yep. And none of those afirementioned scenes in SF and NTTD come close to matching the airplane scene.
  • SF in concert is set to happen sometime at some place soon.

Wanting a QoS in concert one day....

I wonder if attendees will hear a faint farting toot that doesn't sound as good as the score when Bond and M are driving through the rain from the Highlands to Skyfall manner.

You know the tune I'm taking about?
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I always liked the relationship between Bond and M in QOS! She was still his boss, and yet was his defender/ protector. Love the opening scene before and with Mr. White, and the hotel confrontation after Fields death. Certainly prefer this M, to the grumpy granny she became in SF!

I agree. She begins to know what she has in Bond, which makes it mystifying why that seemed to change in SF. "Take the bloody shot!" will never makes sense. M put her faith in an inexperienced agent and not enough trust in her top agent to recover the list. There are so many flaws in that film that get overlooked amidst the praise.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BT3366 wrote: »

I agree. She begins to know what she has in Bond, which makes it mystifying why that seemed to change in SF. "Take the bloody shot!" will never makes sense. M put her faith in an inexperienced agent and not enough trust in her top agent to recover the list. There are so many flaws in that film that get overlooked amidst the praise.

Thank you.

I think this scene was more about M's desperation to cover her own arse more than not trysting Bond. She took a gamble and lost and, in her own words, "fucked up". By this stage she was more than willing to do anything by any means to not expose the fact she had information she wasn't supposed to have.
    Jimjambond wrote: »

I think this scene was more about M's desperation to cover her own arse more than not trysting Bond. She took a gamble and lost and, in her own words, "fucked up". By this stage she was more than willing to do anything by any means to not expose the fact she had information she wasn't supposed to have.

You're covering for the writers here, I think. At the end of QOS she was one M. "Take the shot" was a different M IMHO.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Thank you.

The film's many flaws including, but not limited to, all the plot-convenience to shortcut so much. They overcompensated from QoS over the whole "simple plot" thing.

Every down to earth Bond movie like FYEO or QoS was followed by another one that made more money. But often those more money sequels were watched because the last one kept people wanting more Bond. The money sequels get over-marketed and it seems like there is more comfort by the production.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »

You're covering for the writers here, I think. At the end of QOS she was one M. "Take the shot" was a different M IMHO.

Well she starts off on the wrong foot anyway. Panicking about the hard-drive and letting her man die, ordering Bond to continue the chase immediately. It is odd that right after QoS, when he wins her trust, she starts to distrust him again. Its a line I do have trouble with, as it's continued by the current M, who keeps programmes running that have strong ethical problems. How is he now different from the CIA-s 'blackstone' project in the Bourne films? There was no need for it either. It didn't need to be a MI6 facility. Hopefully the focus of the next Bond won't be on MI6 and its failures, but just on a thread from the outside. I guess with the current political situation, that is what the public wants anyway.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I'm not too certain about that. M was kind of wish-washy towards Bond and had trust inconsistencies throughout QoS. Seconds after she had him disarmed and taken into custody, Bond escapes, mutters something about Fields being brave and now all of a sudden M trusts Bond?? Personally, I feel like M I'm QoS and SF wasn't that different. She found herself in a bind at the start of SF and ifbit potentially meant Bond would end up dead, so be it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Wasn't the whole 'take the bloody shot' scenario intended to parallel M having given up Silva during the Hong Kong changeover? Silva 'was a brilliant agent', but she'd looked at the bigger picture and gave him up anyway. Isn't putting the retrieval of the hard drive above Bond's safety an attempt to show that she doesn't let sentiment interfere at crunch time, just as we later find out that she didn't with Silva? I also wonder if part of it might be M deliberately pushing the hardline to prove to herself (and anyone else who might be watching) that she doesn't play favourites?
    Alternatively, there's a long time jump between QOS and SF, so who knows what Bond had done in that period? At the start of SF, something might've happened in the recent past to make M seriously narked with him, like BookM was with BookBond in YOLT, and have less patience with his methods/be less inclined to give him so much leeway.
    Or M might actually be losing her touch and have started making too many mistakes. There was a scene in an early version of the SF script, where Felix met M in a park and told her that the CIA weren't going to share intel with her any more, because 'you're not trustwrthy, you can't keep secrets and you f--- up.' Bond's (apparent) death would've been the last straw for Leiter, but that line suggests that it wouldn't have been the first of M's errors to come to the CIA's attention.
    Lots of possible readings - which is good, because it allows us to still be discussing it a decade on!
    Good points. I'd also add that M's judgement wasn't the best in SF. She cleared Bond for active duty when he wasn't exactly fully for purpose and then she got herself fatally shot by some nameless goon for hire.

On a slightly related note, I know it's a different timeline and a different M but in GE Dench told Bond she's ballsy enough to send a man out to die albeit not on a whim. This kind of sums up what transpired in SF's PTS. Ronson ("leave him!") and Bond.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Yes, wasn't sending Bond after Silva before he was ready a nod to Fleming having M send an off-form Bond to prove himself on a do-or-die mission against Scaramanga in TMWTGG? Fleming's/M's reasoning being that Bond would either have to shape up or he'd be killed - and either way, it would solve M's dilemma over what to do about him. If Bond got a grip and killed Scaramanga, great, he's back to his best. If Scaramanga killed Bond, well, he's not M's problem any more. Hardcore, man! That element of do it or don't was more of a faint undertone in SF - throwing Bond back in the deep end to sink or swim is there, but not so much the idea that M would be fine with Bond failing as it'd resolve the dilemma of what to do about him. Even so, I hope the future films will also adapt little threads of Fleming and weave them into the scripts in a similar manner.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, wasn't sending Bond after Silva before he was ready a nod to Fleming having M send an off-form Bond to prove himself on a do-or-die mission against Scaramanga in TMWTGG? Fleming's/M's reasoning being that Bond would either have to shape up or he'd be killed - and either way, it would solve M's dilemma over what to do about him. If Bond got a grip and killed Scaramanga, great, he's back to his best. If Scaramanga killed Bond, well, he's not M's problem any more. Hardcore, man! That element of do it or don't was more of a faint undertone in SF - throwing Bond back in the deep end to sink or swim is there, but not so much the idea that M would be fine with Bond failing as it'd resolve the dilemma of what to do about him. Even so, I hope the future films will also adapt little threads of Fleming and weave them into the scripts in a similar manner.

You nailed it.
  • The chemistry between any actor opposite of Judi Dench is pretty good. She commands the scene in addition to Bond.

Did you know that out of the 25 official Bond movies, 8 or 9 of them have been ridiculous/OTT and haven't aged well? Thankfully none of them are DC's.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 784
    QoS was a great sequel and is totally underrated in my opinion, it is far superior to the following three films. I love how they scaled the Quantum threat to encompass business leaders, dictators, political stewards and mafia without becoming too farfetched (quest for control over natural resources vs genocide/M's life/adoptive brother revenge, lol) and without ruining the mysterious nature of the organisation.

Also like how the Action sequences in QoS and CR are very varied and suspenseful rather than copout over the top shootouts and explosions (e.g. crane/rooftop chase, car chase, boat chase, plane fight, torture scene, surprise knife fight, getting out of the hotel unarmed and unnoticed).

Also the dialogue was much more believable, and Bond was not an old bitter wanker.

QoS was a great sequel and is totally underrated in my opinion, it is far superior to the following three films. I love how they scaled the Quantum threat to encompass business leaders, political stewards and mafia without becoming too farfetched (quest for control over natural resources vs world domination/M's life, lol) and without ruining the mysterious nature of the organisation.

Also like how the Action sequences in QoS and CR are very varied and suspenseful rather than copout over the top shootouts and explosions (e.g. chase scene, torture scene, getting out of the hotel unarmed and unnoticed).

Also the dialogue was much more believable, and Bond was not an old bitter wanker.
    I agree sir!
    The good old days...
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited March 2022 Posts: 652
    QoS was a great sequel and is totally underrated in my opinion, it is far superior to the following three films. I love how they scaled the Quantum threat to encompass business leaders, dictators, political stewards and mafia without becoming too farfetched (quest for control over natural resources vs world domination/M's life/adoptive brother revenge, lol) and without ruining the mysterious nature of the organisation.

Also like how the Action sequences in QoS and CR are very varied and suspenseful rather than copout over the top shootouts and explosions (e.g. chase scene, torture scene, getting out of the hotel unarmed and unnoticed).

Largely agreed, though I think Bond's elevator escape was lazy. I still can't reconcile CR and QOS with the movies that came after them. They seem like different two different Bonds in two different continuities. Imagine Connery doing DN-FRWL-GF-TB but also LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, and MR, that's how the two different eras of Craig feel.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    QoS was a great sequel and is totally underrated in my opinion, it is far superior to the following three films. I love how they scaled the Quantum threat to encompass business leaders, dictators, political stewards and mafia without becoming too farfetched (quest for control over natural resources vs world domination/M's life/adoptive brother revenge, lol) and without ruining the mysterious nature of the organisation.

Largely agreed, though I think Bond's elevator escape was lazy. I still can't reconcile CR and QOS with the movies that came after them. They seem like different two different Bonds in two different continuities. Imagine Connery doing DN-FRWL-GF-TB but also LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, and MR, that's how the two different eras of Craig feel.
    Well, they were two entirely different eras for Craig. 2006 then 2008, then the next decade for the last 3.
    Paul Haggis's fingerprints are all over CR and QOS. He wasn't involved with the next three. No coincidence that they didn't match up to the promise of the first two.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,280
    slide_99 wrote: »

These statements are each completely on the point!

In fact, Connery's own last threw Bond movies felt too different from the first 4. Notice when the incredible plots, and megalomaniacal action sets and sequences trumped credibility. It never was too difficult to make a more worthy and direct sequel to movies like QoS or FRWL. Instead the series kept making megalomaniac style films that were over the top. Even Daniel Craig said in an interview after SF that the franchise had "earned" its underground volcanic layer for its villains' hideouts. It's mainly because SF earned a lot of box office money back on its heavy marketing. They thought by forgetting Quantum they'd make more money and get more Oscar recognition.

The producers recently came out saying they are disappointed that DC or their recent movie NTTD didn't make much award recognition...well, let this be their learning moment that the credibility and realism of Quantum from CR-QoS had lots of wasted potential. Spectre rights were bought and needlessly used simply because of encouragement from that John Logan guy. Original plans for SP were to have Quantum back and for its main head villain revealed as a woman. It was tentatively titled Red Sky at Dawn. Forget that story though...the point is that the series has had so much potential but has always dropped the ball in favour of tropes and checklists of cliches that have grown stale. When CR and QoS didn't necessarily use phrases like "shaken, not stirred" or "Bond, James Bond", or have Bond sleep with surviving lady, they took risk. They never took the right kind of risk it takes to earn more awards when moving as far away from these cliches as possible.

Had they stuck with Paul Haggis and kept John Logan out (and Sam Mendes too)....you see, they need to keep the fanboys of the cliche stuff out and away from directing. No more crash and burn.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Paul Haggis's fingerprints are all over CR and QOS. He wasn't involved with the next three. No coincidence that they didn't match up to the promise of the first two.

Hmm I'm not so sure Haggis' sentiments are limited to two films or forgotten.

From: http://www.patreon.com/posts/james-bond-craig-63026678
    On Casino Royale’s commentary, co-writer Paul Haggis explained that he wanted to “see deeper into who [Bond] was, to open up that crack in his soul because his soul is hardened, and we wanted to pry it open and look inside.” Haggis recognized Bond’s “simplicity” and hoped to make him more complex because, “we look for those heroes, but we look for ourselves in those heroes. We know how flawed we are, so we look for those flaws in our heroes. We don’t excuse them, but we want to empathize with them. We want to say, ‘yeah, I could be that guy in a different life.’” The Craig films, then, have been an illumination of Bond’s neglected inner life, everything that makes him not just a superspy but a human being.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I'm glad that the deeper character exploration continued throughout the Craig era but I think what with QoS being a direct sequel to CR, with the shifting of tone in the latter three and the fact they feel dated to the late-2000s now it feels like they're a subset within the subset of the Craig era.

Having said that, QoS was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema, so I do have something of a sentimental attachment because of that. I think Craig gives an incredible performance, it's the best he's looked physically and sartorially (especially wrt the dinner jacket).

I think the cinematography is amazing, there's a wonderful sense of style which is hampered by the editing but to be slightly charitable when it works it really works, no matter how many times I watch it when in the PTS the lorry slams into Alfa Romeo it physically jolts me. The film is visceral, uniquely, which is a blessing and a curse. It's a film which assumes your participation rather than drawing you in but it's one that if you do engage with it it's all the more rewarding for it.

I think also this might be my be my favourite score, maybe even more than Casino Royale, "Time to Get Out" is half the reason the PTS is as good as it is, and the "No Good about Goodbye" leitmotif that Arnold sprinkles throughout it is gorgeous.

And I have to say "Another Way to Die" is a guilty pleasure, it isn't as technically competent as "You Know My Name" but I'm glad that they doubled down on the rock ballad.

I could go on but yeah it's a flawed film in a lot of ways but there's also a lot to admire about it and I'm glad it's getting some more love.
  • I'm glad that the deeper character exploration continued throughout the Craig era but I think what with QoS being a direct sequel to CR, with the shifting of tone in the latter three and the fact they feel dated to the late-2000s now it feels like they're a subset within the subset of the Craig era.

Having said that, QoS was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema, so I do have something of a sentimental attachment because of that. I think Craig gives an incredible performance, it's the best he's looked physically and sartorially (especially wrt the dinner jacket).

I think the cinematography is amazing, there's a wonderful sense of style which is hampered by the editing but to be slightly charitable when it works it really works, no matter how many times I watch it when in the PTS the lorry slams into Alfa Romeo it physically jolts me. The film is visceral, uniquely, which is a blessing and a curse. It's a film which assumes your participation rather than drawing you in but it's one that if you do engage with it it's all the more rewarding for it.

I think also this might be my be my favourite score, maybe even more than Casino Royale, "Time to Get Out" is half the reason the PTS is as good as it is, and the "No Good about Goodbye" leitmotif that Arnold sprinkles throughout it is gorgeous.

And I have to say "Another Way to Die" is a guilty pleasure, it isn't as technically competent as "You Know My Name" but I'm glad that they doubled down on the rock ballad.

I could go on but yeah it's a flawed film in a lot of ways but there's also a lot to admire about it and I'm glad it's getting some more love.

David Arnold deserves more Bond movies. Sam Mendes and John Logan stunted Craig's potential but not his paycheck.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

I always saw that as, the mission was falling apart, the cold way M tells Bond to leave Ronson and get after the list was meant to foreshadow that she'll sacrifice anybody for the mission, including Bond himself.

I'm clutching at straws admittedly mate, but that didn't bother me too much. Not as much as how M was written in QOS, she doesn't trust him at all in that film. M's character was a definite victim of the writers strike
    The chemistry between any actor opposite of Judi Dench is pretty good. She commands the scene in addition to Bond.

Did you know that out of the 25 official Bond movies, 8 or 9 of them have been ridiculous/OTT and haven't aged well? Thankfully none of them are DC's.

Craig’s last film had Nanobots.
  • Here is a scenario....Bond gets
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    The chemistry between any actor opposite of Judi Dench is pretty good. She commands the scene in addition to Bond.

Craig’s last film had Nanobots.

True but it was a parallel coincidentally to the pandemic. Plus, the concept of the virus had to be visualized by the nanobots. The way the bots were used wasn't like an invisible car.
    It seems different folks have different thresholds. I've been reading about development of real nanobots for so long that it does not strike me as absurdly off in the future.