Brosnan's Bond Popularity

Comments

• doubleoego wrote:
    Craig does have a tendency to mumble his lines.

Neither did anything new, but I would choose Brosnan over Craig. Brosnan might not have had the best era, but watching his films, I never got the feeling that all involved were embarrassed to be making Bond films.

And that's the problem. After GE, all involved should have been embarrassed because the series spiralled out if control into becoming a mockery even unto itself. The Craig era has restored class, credibility and serious talent that ordinarily may have thumbed their noses at doing a Bind film after what it had become. I'm tired of the free pass some people try to give the series, "its just a Bond film" as if that makes it ok and exempt from getting away with adverse elements that really bring the movies down. Bond can, should and is offering audiences more right now and long may it continue and get even better.

Bond has become Bourne. I think the producers during Brosnan's era were just going along with other major action movies during his era. The Bourne series popularized a more down-to-earth approach, which EON copied for the reboot. I don't see a reason why everyone should have been embarrassed after GE.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. You're acting like the Craig Era is the first time the series has gone down this more serious and character driven route. I'm sorry but Bourne didn't invent the serious spy movie. Lazenby, Dalton, and early Connery were doing it before anyone even knew who Matt Damon was. Hell Bourne isn't even a spy. While I'll agree that there are some influences of the Bourne films on the action scenes of QOS (same fight coordinator BTW) other than that Bond is still very much Bond.

Besides the first two Bourne films didn't exactly set the box office world on fire. I'm not sure why EON would want to rip them off. But like I said I think those films were just one of many influences that got Bond back on track for more down-to-earth espoinage.

Just no...
  • XXXXXX Banned
    doubleoego wrote:

Neither did anything new, but I would choose Brosnan over Craig. Brosnan might not have had the best era, but watching his films, I never got the feeling that all involved were embarrassed to be making Bond films.

And that's the problem. After GE, all involved should have been embarrassed because the series spiralled out if control into becoming a mockery even unto itself. The Craig era has restored class, credibility and serious talent that ordinarily may have thumbed their noses at doing a Bind film after what it had become. I'm tired of the free pass some people try to give the series, "its just a Bond film" as if that makes it ok and exempt from getting away with adverse elements that really bring the movies down. Bond can, should and is offering audiences more right now and long may it continue and get even better.

Bond has become Bourne. I think the producers during Brosnan's era were just going along with other major action movies during his era. The Bourne series popularized a more down-to-earth approach, which EON copied for the reboot. I don't see a reason why everyone should have been embarrassed after GE.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. You're acting like the Craig Era is the first time the series has gone down this more serious and character driven route. I'm sorry but Bourne didn't invent the serious spy movie. Lazenby, Dalton, and early Connery were doing it before anyone even knew who Matt Damon was. Hell Bourne isn't even a spy. While I'll agree that there are some influences of the Bourne films on the action scenes of QOS (same fight coordinator BTW) other than that Bond is still very much Bond.

Besides the first two Bourne films didn't exactly set the box office world on fire. I'm not sure why EON would want to rip them off. But like I said I think those films were just one of many influences that got Bond back on track for more down-to-earth espoinage.

Just no...
    This. Qft, no, just no.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,778
    doubleoego wrote:

Just no...

Wow. What an excellent and well thought out argument. You've sure shown me. You're absolutely right. About everything. The Bond series has never made an attempt to be serious. As a matter of fact no movie has. Jason Bourne invented serious. And Pierce Brosnan was far and away the best James Bond. I used to think of his pain face and constant pressing of lips to be lazy acting but up until now I've never seen the genius in it. Thankyou @Craigisnotbond (still the worst username on this site). I'll never know how this website functioned without your genius. What fools we were. ^:)^
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I definitely disagree with doubleoego on this one, and I also disagree about Bond becoming Bourne (I think Craigisnotbond) and I agree with much of DoubleOhhSeven said in his above post ... man, it gets confusing and hard to see trying to read all this quotes that are quoted!!

I like Pierce's Bond. A lot. And the first two films were great.
    As if my opinion were news to anyone.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    edited March 2014 Posts: 132
    doubleoego wrote:

Just no...

Wow. What an excellent and well thought out argument. You've sure shown me. You're absolutely right. About everything. The Bond series has never made an attempt to be serious. As a matter of fact no movie has. Jason Bourne invented serious. And Pierce Brosnan was far and away the best James Bond. I used to think of his pain face and constant pressing of lips to be lazy acting but up until now I've never seen the genius in it. Thankyou @Craigisnotbond (still the worst username on this site). I'll never know how this website functioned without your genius. What fools we were. ^:)^
    Agreed but is this a sarcasm display? And he is allowed to his opinion, thats what makes this site great, no offence, this is not a personal attack
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Pierce Brosnan was far and away the best James Bond.
    There's a case to be made for that surely, but I'd place Dalton there myself.
    :D
    Though, while I'm watching Pierce as Bond, I am tempted to agree with you...
    Jason Bourne and his movies gave EON certainly an idea for a new route to take their 007 franchise. And the fact that the original books by Ludlum might be a response to the popular 007 series is moot as the Bourne movie-series is very different from the bookseries, not unlike the 007 movies.
    I think that the Bourne-movies did show how to do a spectacular series in a different way than EON was doing at the time.

xXx wanted to compete with 007 but was too similar.

the Mission Impossible movies especially the 4th one did give us a spectacular movie like FYEO with a macguffin as target and walked the road of the previous Bonds before Brosnan and did it very well imho.

I like the Brosnan movies perhaps because they are entertaining, and for me the Bondseries was never a serie of movies that required a brain to really think out what the heck the director was trying to tell.

While I do like Craig I am not sure that his movies are all that great.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:
    Jason Bourne and his movies gave EON certainly an idea for a new route to take their 007 franchise. And the fact that the original books by Ludlum might be a response to the popular 007 series is moot as the Bourne movie-series is very different from the bookseries, not unlike the 007 movies.
    I think that the Bourne-movies did show how to do a spectacular series in a different way than EON was doing at the time.

I agree. I'm not sure why people are in denial about these things, Bond has been cashing in on genres, fads and styles for decades - some more noticeably than others.

• RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I agree. I'm not sure why people are in denial about these things, Bond has been cashing in on genres, fads and styles for decades - some more noticeably than others.

Exactly. The series had to imitate some of the trends to stay relevant for 50 years. Moonraker imitated Star Wars, Daniel Craig era imitated Jason Bourne, etc. I'm not saying it's wrong. The imitation was needed to survive and bring in new fans.

With that said, I don't get why some of you think the Brosnan era made some of the worst movies of all time. They were original, even if they were as some of you guys say, generic. Everyone has their own opinion, but why would you bash Brosnan on a Bronsan popularity thread.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    There's a difference between a "popularity" thread and an "appreciation" thread. In the former we can discuss whether or not his status was justified and the impact he had on the series. The latter allows fans to express their fondness of him - hence "appreciation". I interpreted the title of this thread as an opportunity to have a discussion about his popularity.

While I think its extreme to say Brosnan's era bore some of the worse films OF ALL TIME (I can sit through them fairly easily and even enjoy them) Its probably fair to say most were mediocre to bad. Even the man himself has said he's not satisfied with his films.

I say that as someone who grew up with him. Most of the films don't hold up well. Go back and watch the second half of DAD.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Go back and watch the second half of DAD.
    I did, recently. I can get through it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Even the man himself has said he's not satisfied with his films.
    BAIN, if you've never been an artist, you just don't understand that feeling that you've never done your best. Never listen of a critique of an artist or their work from the artist themselves, it will invariably be too negative (or too glorious in rare cases). The continual use of Brosnan's self deprecating comments as proof that he wasn't a very good Bond is not only old now, it's bordering on desperate.
    EVERY Bond actor has at least one GREAT Bond to their name. Deal w/it. B-)
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I'm not saying that "he wasn't very good" as Bond (I enjoy watching him and have a fondness of his Bond). I'm just saying that he perhaps wasn't as great as some (including myself) have made him out to be.

I too got through the second half of DAD...but its hardly a top class production. It seems odd that people can have a go at Dans films and accept the genuinely poor moments that happened in Brosnan's run.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It seems odd that people can have a go at Dans films and accept the genuinely poor moments that happened in Brosnan's run.
    As far as their first three go, Dan & Pierce share a very similar history in terms of quality. Here's to Dan avoiding Pierce's fourth! =;
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It seems odd that people can have a go at Dans films and accept the genuinely poor moments that happened in Brosnan's run.

I think it's the other way around. For example people constantly have a go at the Brosnan era for using CGI when the Craig films are guilty of this too (entirely CGI Komodo dragons for Bond to step on are fine apparently but adding CGI helicopter blades when they're jumping a motorbike over it is too far).

Another example: everybody slags off TWINE, saying that it has moments of depth but then just goes back to having "super Bond". But QOS is apparently an underrated gem even though it has exactly that problem: moments of depth but they're lost in a see of action scenes (which in QOS' case aren't even very good).

Another example: people slag off TND because Bond gets over Paris' death in five minutes but doesn't SF have exactly the same problem? Bond gets over Severine's death pretty quickly.

Another example: Brosnan's Bond was too invincible, too "super Bond" but Craig is allowed to get shot and still manage to jump onto a moving train, land perfectly, adjust his cuffs and make a quip about changing carriages (again, just after he's been shot).

I could go on but you get my point. I'm not trying to bash the Craig films by the way, I really like CR and SF and I think Craig, while not my favourite Bond, is without a doubt the best actor to ever play the part. I just think that they're not as perfect as some fans make out.
  • The producers are marketing people, they are good at rebooting the franchise but struggle to follow it up or instigate a five-year plan.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 99
    DAD's second half was ott for sure, but it's still fun, in a leave-your-brain-at-the-door way. I don't believe the general public had as much of a problem with it than the Bond fanatics. DAD was the highest grossing Bond ever at the time. In the early 2000s, cgi was overused in general.

Every actor that played Bond really played a superhero; Brosnan is not the exception.
    I think the main difference between Craig's era and Brosnan's era is the acting quality AROUND the main star. While Craig's films do indeed their problems I don't remember seeing actresses as bad as Terri Hatcher, Denese Richards or Halle Berry. Overall I don't think you can criticise the performances in Craig's films. More the writing. Good performances/actors can compensate for weak writing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Every actor that played Bond really played a superhero; Brosnan is not the exception.
    Exactly! In Thunderball Bond got smacked with a firepoker several times and was shot in the ankle but after Fiona gets Bumped off, he's suddenly okay again.

Lazenby's Bond was the terminator beating everyone in his path.

Moore fell off a cliff and snagged on his line yet still managed to crawl back up.

Daltonator and so own.

Every Bond was a superhero.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actresses as bad as Halle Berry

I don't think Halle Berry is a bad actress. She's just been in some crap films. She's good when she's given good material and I can see why they cast her (she's fit and she's an Oscar winning actress).
    She's crap in DAD. I think it's difficult to argue otherwise. Maybe it's her dialogue, maybe it's her performance. Either way I can't stand her in the film and end up feeling sorry for Broz.
  • She performed what she was instructed to do. Regardless, I also thought she negatively impacted the movie. I wanted to watch a Bond movie, not a Jinx movie. Brosnan's screen time in the second half is remarkably less thanks to her.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,778
    XXX wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Just no...

Agreed but is this a sarcasm display? And he is allowed to his opinion, thats what makes this site great, no offence, this is not a personal attack

Yes it is. I usually hate sarcasm but this warranted it. I'll explain something. We're here to discuss the Bond films and history. Answering like a troll with "just no" is not only childish but is a waste of time. That could fly on IMDB or something but I'd like to think we're better than that here at MI6. As of matter I've never seen an answer like that on this site until now. Before that members usually have the decency to, you know, explain themselves and provide valid points and arguments. Not "just no".
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    As far as their first three go, Dan & Pierce share a very similar history in terms of quality. Here's to Dan avoiding Pierce's fourth! =;

How is that? I was with you up until their third films. Skyfall was lauded as not only one of the best Bond films of all times but by some critics as one of the best films of the year. I'd like to think audiences reacted well too with the 1.1 billion dollars they spent seeing it. TWINE on the other hand didn't equal up to half of the success of Skyfall no matter how you want to measure it (critical, financial, awards,etc). This isn't more Brosnan bashing but just looking at the facts. Skyfall brought things back up to CR levels of quality of QOS while TWINE was a continuation of a downward trajectory or, at best, maintaining the status quo.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I was with you up until their third films. Skyfall was lauded as not only one of the best Bond films of all times but by some critics as one of the best films of the year. I'd like to think audiences reacted well too with the 1.1 billion dollars they spent seeing it.
    Been there done that, but once more into the breach...
    I don't give a rat's walk in the pipeline what dollar amount any film ever makes. Pierce & Dan's first films were mostly great, their seconds were excellent for what they were trying to do/able to achieve, their thirds were practically narrative clones of each other, with SF the more arty-seeming, and TWINE the more adventurous- both a slight comedown from the first two, but still very good. These are not facts, these are my artistic judgements combined with my subjective enjoyment levels.
    There ARE no facts when we do this with competently made movies that feature un-reality such as Bond movies do. There are opinions only.
    You like Silva & his plot to kill M, fine, then SF is better than TWINE for you. Not for me. IMO TWINE & SF have equal plot issues, but since I don't hate Brosnan's pain face, and I LIKE Sophie Marceau, it comes out onantopp of SF for me.

But remember, Transformers 3 is a better movie than Skyfall since it pulled in more $$$.
    wink wink nudge nudge
    :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    I was with you up until their third films. Skyfall was lauded as not only one of the best Bond films of all times but by some critics as one of the best films of the year. I'd like to think audiences reacted well too with the 1.1 billion dollars they spent seeing it.
    Been there done that, but once more into the breach...
    I don't give a rat's walk in the pipeline what dollar amount any film ever makes. Pierce & Dan's first films were mostly great, their seconds were excellent for what they were trying to do/able to achieve, their thirds were practically narrative clones of each other, with SF the more arty-seeming, and TWINE the more adventurous- both a slight comedown from the first two, but still very good. These are not facts, these are my artistic judgements combined with my subjective enjoyment levels.
    There ARE no facts when we do this with competently made movies that feature un-reality such as Bond movies do. There are opinions only.
    You like Silva & his plot to kill M, fine, then SF is better than TWINE for you. Not for me. IMO TWINE & SF have equal plot issues, but since I don't hate Brosnan's pain face, and I LIKE Sophie Marceau, it comes out onantopp of SF for me.

But remember, Transformers 3 is a better movie than Skyfall since it pulled in more $$$.
    wink wink nudge nudge
    :))

Okay since we're repeating ourselves. If you read my post you'll notice I said "critical" and "awards" to. Let's take the money out of the equation and pretend both films grossed the same amount. Critical reviews for Skyfall were immensely better than TWINE.

Rotten Tomatoes

Skyfall- 92% (Certified Fresh)

TWINE- 51% (Ouch)

IMDB

Skyfall- 7.8

TWINE- 6.4

Metacritic

Skyfall- 81

TWINE- 51

So no I'm sorry Skyfall was not a step down from QOS. Again this is subjective but according to the vast majority cinema world Skyfall was much better than QOS.

The only thing that the two films share in common is that the villain has a personal vendetta against M. In SF that is Silva's soul purpose while in TWINE Electra seems just as focused on her oil scheme. By the end of the film killing M almost becomes an afterthought. The films 3rd acts are very different. And lets look at Bond. In SF his internal struggle is proving that he isn't a useless relic from a bygone era. In TWINE his struggle has more to do with his feelings for Electra. Hell we didn't even have a proper Bond girls in SF. Your argument would make alot more sense if you were comparing SF and GE.
    Critical reviews for Skyfall were immensely better than TWINE.
    Rotten Tomatoes
    TWINE- 51% (Ouch)
    IMDB
    Skyfall- 7.8
    TWINE- 6.4
    Metacritic
    Skyfall- 81
    TWINE- 51

So no I'm sorry Skyfall was not a step down from QOS.
    Remember my rat? Same for critical response.
    Though both SF & TWINE are 'objectively' good films for me, I have more fun with TWINE.
    SF is certainly better made than QOS, but I prefer short, sweet & brutal to long, drawn out & sometimes silly.

Bottom line, if you groove to the 'return-of-the-hero-loss-of-the-Mum' thing in SF, THAT'S your movie. If you groove to the 'temporarily-lapse-in-judgement-due-to-evil-bitch-posing-as-victim' thing in TWINE, then like me, you'll prefer that.
  • Movies should not be based on the amount of box office revenue. Skyfall, although it was a good film, gained a lot of publicity from Adele, the 50th anniversary, the long waiting period after QoS, Javier Bardem, and rumors of M's death. TWINE did not have as much publicity. The movie was also released in 1999, a big year for movies, examples include Star Wars, The Matrix, and The Sixth Sense.

The actor who portray Bond are only one of the ingredients for the success of the movie. Skyfall and TWINE were not solely dependent on Craig and Brosnan.

Brosnan's popularity is easy to understand- the ladies adore him for his suave style and dashing swagger, and guys want to be him for that reason! Out of the six Bond actors, Brosnan is the one who I can most quickly identify as Bond; when I think of James Bond, Brosnan is the picture I have. That could be due in part to the fact that his incarnation of the character was the first I encountered, but I also believe it is because he just simply "has it".
    [Okay since we're repeating ourselves. If you read my post you'll notice I said "critical" and "awards" to. Let's take the money out of the equation and pretend both films grossed the same amount. Critical reviews for Skyfall were immensely better than TWINE.

Rotten Tomatoes

TWINE- 51% (Ouch)

IMDB

Skyfall- 7.8

TWINE- 6.4

Metacritic

Skyfall- 81

TWINE- 51

Lets see how SF does 10 -12 years later, as for voting on IMdb which is mostly rigged by some fanatic clowns that vote up their favorite of the moment and in doing so actively vote brillinat movies down.
    SF is the flavor du jour and its ratings are bound to plummet so I do care very little about the comparisons you show, they are as of yet objective at best.

The only thing that the two films share in common is that the villain has a personal vendetta against M. In SF that is Silva's soul purpose while in TWINE Electra seems just as focused on her oil scheme. By the end of the film killing M almost becomes an afterthought. The films 3rd acts are very different. And lets look at Bond. In SF his internal struggle is proving that he isn't a useless relic from a bygone era. In TWINE his struggle has more to do with his feelings for Electra. Hell we didn't even have a proper Bond girls in SF. Your argument would make alot more sense if you were comparing SF and GE.

Nah they're much more similar than that.

TWINE was Brosnan's third Bond film, SF was Craig's third Bond film. In both films the PTS ends with Bond falling from a great height and being injured. In both films Bond also injures his shoulder in the PTS, dislocating it after falling from the balloon in TWINE and getting shot by Patrice in Skyfall.

The plots are also similar. In both films Judi Dench is featured more than usual and it's about M's past coming back to haunt her, and in both films she sort of created the villains. In Skyfall she handed Silva over to the chinese causing him to turn into a psychopath and in TWINE she told King not to pay Elektra's ransom, causing her to become a psychopath. In both films the villains want to kill M because of this.

The main difference here though is that Elektra was more ambitious than Silva. She also had the whole oil plot while Silva just wanted to kill M. Also, in TWINE, Bond managed to save M, while in Skyfall, she died for her "sins".

Also, in both films, M doesn't trust Bond and this comes back to bite her on the arse. In Skyfall, she didn't trust Bond to take out Patrice on the train, she told Eve to fire and she ended up losing the list. In TWINE, she doesn't listen to Bond when he tells her his suspicions about Elektra so Elektra is able to kidnap her.

Another similarity: both films feature a chase through an iconic part of London (the thames boat chase in TWINE, the tube sequence in SF). Also, in both films, the villain blows up MI6, causing them to relocate to a new secret location (the Scottish castle in TWINE, the underground base in Skyfall.

While the villains aren't similar, there is one similarity. Both villains have girls working for them that are scared of them. The assassin is terrified of Renard, when Bond says he can protect her she says "not from him" and blows up the balloon. In Skyfall, Severine is equally terrified of Silva. When Bond says he knows all there is to know about fear she says "not like this, not like him". Even the lines are similar, and both girls end up dead. There is one key difference though: the assassin didn't trust Bond to protect her from Renard. Severine trusted Bond to protect her from Silva and that turned out to be a bad decision as she ended up dead.

And finally, both films feature Istanbul, London and Scotland as locations and both films refer to Bond's family (in TWINE we have the family motto and in Skyfall we have the bit in Scotland).
    SaintMark wrote:
    [Okay since we're repeating ourselves. If you read my post you'll notice I said "critical" and "awards" to. Let's take the money out of the equation and pretend both films grossed the same amount. Critical reviews for Skyfall were immensely better than TWINE.

Rotten Tomatoes

TWINE- 51% (Ouch)

IMDB

Skyfall- 7.8

TWINE- 6.4

Metacritic

Skyfall- 81

TWINE- 51

Lets see how SF does 10 -12 years later, as for voting on IMdb which is mostly rigged by some fanatic clowns that vote up their favorite of the moment and in doing so actively vote brillinat movies down.
    SF is the flavor du jour and its ratings are bound to plummet so I do care very little about the comparisons you show, they are as of yet objective at best.

I agree. That's why I didn't just include IMDB. Skyfall was just flat-out a better received movie than TWINE. I'm not sure how anyone can make an argument against that. And in 10 years I'll bet you anything that Skyfall is still MUCH more fondly remembered than TWINE. I don't recall anyone giving all that much praise to TWINE when it was released. Even less now as we've been reminded how good Bond movies are supposed to be.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Critical reviews for Skyfall were immensely better than TWINE.
    Rotten Tomatoes
    TWINE- 51% (Ouch)
    IMDB
    Skyfall- 7.8
    TWINE- 6.4
    Metacritic
    Skyfall- 81
    TWINE- 51

So no I'm sorry Skyfall was not a step down from QOS.
    Remember my rat? Same for critical response.
    Though both SF & TWINE are 'objectively' good films for me, I have more fun with TWINE.
    SF is certainly better made than QOS, but I prefer short, sweet & brutal to long, drawn out & sometimes silly.

Bottom line, if you groove to the 'return-of-the-hero-loss-of-the-Mum' thing in SF, THAT'S your movie. If you groove to the 'temporarily-lapse-in-judgement-due-to-evil-bitch-posing-as-victim' thing in TWINE, then like me, you'll prefer that.

I don't really care about your rat or it's walk (as you seem to be fixating on both). Your original argument was that Craig and Brosnan's tenures are similar. In what respect? In their trajectory of quality/success? Their movie's plots? The film's thematic elements? Because none of those things are similar for either actor. Craig had a rousing start, fell into a rut with QOS, and then shot right back to the top with SF. Brosnan had a rousing start, fell into a rut with TND, and never pulled himself out. In terms of plots yes SF and TWINE share some similarities but as I've explained TWINE only uses the "revenge on M" factor to get the movie going. By the end of TWINE its a subplot rather than the plot. But it's not like any of Craig's other 2 films are similar to Brosnan's. In terms of themes both actors debut films couldn't be any more different so the argument is thrown right out the window.