That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!(The Thread of Bad Bond music placement.)

Comments

OHMSS69 wrote:
    Madonna's title track for DAD is cringe worthy.

People say Madonna's song is bad because people like to slag off Madonna...but her song is not that bad when you compare to Another Way to Die and GoldenEye.

That's right. GoldenEye. What kind of chorus is THIS: You never know how I watched you from the shadows as a child with a gun disguised as an umbrella blah blah blah....

Just jam in as much words as you can.
    Even Bono can have a bomb every once in awhile.

Au contraire. Goldeneye is quite possibly the most underrated Bond title track of them all, and I'm no fan of Bono. Every time I hear it I'm astounded that the song wasn't a general hit. But then I look at popular tastes and it all becomes quite clear...
    GBF wrote: »
    I would also add to the original list the misplaced Bond Themes in From Russia with love and especially the one at the end of OHMSS. I also don't like the music in the ski chase in FYEO and the Credit song from LTK. It does not fit to the gritty film.

I abominate the music in FYEO's Citroen chase. That sort of cheesy, keyboard disco has no place in Bond, even in 1981.

I don't like the music being played during the MR boat chase. Totally conflicts with the scene in my view.

It's certainly an odd juxtaposition, but I kind of like it.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah me too. I always thought it was a bit 'funny' but I quite like it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The whole score in SF after the PTS. Just noise.
    In SP it's better, the Rome sequence I would even call brilliant score wise. Also the PTS again. The rest is...well, noise.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yeah me too. I always thought it was a bit 'funny' but I quite like it.

Count me in on the appreciation for MR's boat chase. (I assume we are talking about the Amazon chase, as opposed to the Venice one..)

I find it to compliment the grandiosity of MR, and it's ethereal score.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Isn't that the '007 theme'? The last time we hear it actually. How can one not like that?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Although I am one of the few people who actually love TMWTGG, two music choices bug me:

- the slide whistle ruining the greatest car stunt in cinema history
    - what is that stupid noise when Bond grabs the sumo's bottom?
    In SP it's better, the Rome sequence I would even call brilliant score wise. Also the PTS again. The rest is...well, noise.

Shanghai Drive is noise? Right.

GoldenGun wrote: »
    Although I am one of the few people who actually love TMWTGG, two music choices bug me:

- the slide whistle ruining the greatest car stunt in cinema history
    - what is that stupid noise when Bond grabs the sumo's bottom?

And the title track isn't exactly bonzer either, is it? Barry makes good use of it throughout the score, though.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Shanghai Drive is noise? Right.

The 'Skyfall' track in Scotland may be my favorite track out of the films, very haunting and I was one of the few who was happy to hear it slightly re-used during SP's funeral scene with Lucia.
    I like The Chimera, played as Severine and Bond approach Silva's HQ. That was suitably Barry'esque without plagiarizing. Same goes for Severine. Superior track imho, but not played enough. Love the bit when it kicks in briefly after Patrice is killed.

Darn, all this talk makes me feel like watching SF again now. I have to get through the Marvel stuff first in anticipation of Civil War though.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm not talking about the quality of the track used because the Clash's London Calling is a masterpiece but why oh why it's in DAD I don't know.

I remember being in the cinema thinking I recognise that drum beat seriously no, what are they doing????

It just came across as rather odd, I don't know whether someone thought they'd go a bit Tarantino by using existing pop songs in the film.

It's fine when it's specifically chosen to compliment a scene and QT like Scorcesse is a master at this, say for instance the Layla piano break in Goodfellas or Little Green Bag in Reservoir Dogs just to name few examples.

Bond is not the place for this kind of thing, stick to the scores please.

Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the quality of the track used because the Clash's London Calling is a masterpiece but why oh why it's in DAD I don't know.
    DAD was all about homages (of the good and the bad) being the 40th anniversary film. I suppose they were homaging the Beach Boy's inclusion in AVTAK.
  • Does anyone else think that the closing sequence of TSWLM in Altantis is sorely missing score? It lacks crucial dramatic weight because there is no soundtrack in my opinion.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    bondjames wrote: »
    Isn't that the '007 theme'? The last time we hear it actually. How can one not like that?

The 007 theme doesn't belong there, lol.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I watched some of FYEO last now and jeez does Conti's score ruin that movie for me. There is nothing there that resembles a Bond theme for me, especially during the car and ski chase. Even worse that stupid ooh ooh ooh song during Gonzalez's party.
    I watched some of FYEO last now and jeez does Conti's score ruin that movie for me. There is nothing there that resembles a Bond theme for me, especially during the car and ski chase. Even worse that stupid ooh ooh ooh song during Gonzalez's party.
    True, but the gunbarrel with cowbell is excellent imho, as is the track 'Submarine' which does have the Bond theme incorporated beautifully, Barry style.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It has been awhile since I've watched it and fell asleep after the ski scene. I do enjoy the gunbarrel music. Actually its one of the best in the series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,690
    The same 10 seconds cue of 'The Moors' played on a loop for a good 5 minutes of the finale in SP. Did Newman totally gave up on his job?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    In SP it's better, the Rome sequence I would even call brilliant score wise. Also the PTS
    again. The rest is...well, noise.

I think that's a bit harsh and unfair. Listen to the soundtrack properly on it's own. It's not the greatest Bond score but I think it's a good score that fits the film well.

Love that piece as the DB5 drives across the Scottish scenery.

Also like that foreboding music as the boat travels to Silva's island.

I also like the SPECTRE score even though a lot of it is regurgitated from Skyfall.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I think it's a very underrated score. I love 'A Drive In The Country' the way Conti incorporates the Bond theme into it is very clever.

Some of his romantic pieces in FYEO are gorgeous.

Love that score!
    bondjames wrote: »
    True, but the gunbarrel with cowbell is excellent imho, as is the track 'Submarine' which does have the Bond theme incorporated beautifully, Barry style.

Conti's music as Bond is menaced in the Cortina ski lift is just as good and evocative, in its own way, as some of Barry's best, IMO. And BTW, I'm convinced the scene in SP where Q is similarly stalked by goons in the Huffler Clinic is homage to that scene in FYEO.

edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Conti's music as Bond is menaced in the Cortina ski lift is just as good and evocative, in its own way, as some of Barry's best, IMO. And BTW, I'm convinced the scene in SP where Q is similarly stalked by goons in the Huffler Clinic is homage to that scene in FYEO.
    I agree. The ski lift and 'jump' music in FYEO is excellent. Especially on the way up (followed by Charles Dance and Loque) and even at the top, as the black Mercedes & bikes pull up and Kriegler gets the gun ready.

I never thought about it before, but the parallels in SP are notable. It probably was an homage.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The same 10 seconds cue of 'The Moors' played on a loop for a good 5 minutes of the finale in SP. Did Newman totally gave up on his job?

The Spectre soundtrack is a bit of a curious one to me. There are some excellent new original pieces (Los Muertos Vivos Estan, Donna Lucia, Backfire (with its excellent choir additions, Crows Klinic, Safe House and Detonation) but the lack of proper bond theme (apart from the opening) is disappointing (theres no Bond theme in Snow Plane at all) although it does rear its head in the latter parts of the movie (Detonation, Westminster Bridge), though not fully.

I tend to view it as more of a refinement of the Skyfall soundtrack, which it is, but there are some odd placements (for example, why is the 'Enjoying Death' cue used when Bond is talking to Q in the Hoffler Clinic).

It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the score overall (which I like) but given that Spectre is supposed to be a big love letter to the big bonds of old, the lack of the series' core component, its theme, is rather odd.
  • Mallory wrote: »

The Spectre soundtrack is a bit of a curious one to me. There are some excellent new original pieces (Los Muertos Vivos Estan, Donna Lucia, Backfire (with its excellent choir additions, Crows Klinic, Safe House and Detonation) but the lack of proper bond theme (apart from the opening) is disappointing (theres no Bond theme in Snow Plane at all) although it does rear its head in the latter parts of the movie (Detonation, Westminster Bridge), though not fully.

I tend to view it as more of a refinement of the Skyfall soundtrack, which it is, but there are some odd placements (for example, why is the 'Enjoying Death' cue used when Bond is talking to Q in the Hoffler Clinic).

It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the score overall (which I like) but given that Spectre is supposed to be a big love letter to the big bonds of old, the lack of the series' core component, its theme, is rather odd.

We do hear it a bit more than SF. But it is odd. You can't even hear the classic guitar riff.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,157
    Mallory wrote: »
    there's no Bond theme in Snow Plane at all

Well, actually the bebop (2:33) appears, but yeah, it's just a couple of seconds, and the fact that the guitar riff is completely left out of the movie was disappointing.
  • GBFGBF

I think it's a very underrated score. I love 'A Drive In The Country' the way Conti incorporates the Bond theme into it is very clever.

Some of his romantic pieces in FYEO are gorgeous.

Love that score!

I think so too. I find the "Drive in the country" tune very entertaining, maybe not Bondian, but com'on it's like Hamlish's approach a bit funky and enjoyable. It also fits so perfectly tothat funny and amazing car chase.

I also really like the underwater sounds and the romantic but also mysterious theme of "For your eyes only" in some of the underwater scenes.

I wish I could say the same about the ski chase. But here it just does not work for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    In SP it's better, the Rome sequence I would even call brilliant score wise. Also the PTS
    again. The rest is...well, noise.

I think that's a bit harsh and unfair. Listen to the soundtrack properly on it's own. It's not the greatest Bond score but I think it's a good score that fits the film well.

Love that piece as the DB5 drives across the Scottish scenery.

Also like that foreboding music as the boat travels to Silva's island.

I also like the SPECTRE score even though a lot of it is regurgitated from Skyfall.

His hate of SF and outright worship of SP knows no bounds.

For a film regurgitates the previous films score and it's supposedly better??

I wouldn't say SF score was that good but at least it was original and not a lazy rehash.

I found SPECTRE a huge disappointment like some others, I know some really liked but the BondJasonBond006 propaganda train for it is going off the rails with ridiculousness.
    The use of "Twisting With James" in the FRWL trailer.