Goldeneye wii/reloaded appreciation thread

edited February 2014 in 007 Gaming Posts: 9,737
I can't be the only one who loves this reimagined story I prefer Craig over Brosnan so seeing him in my favorite Brosnan film Redone makes it better I do feel it's way to short but that is a minor complaint

Comments

• I loved it too. It's the sole reason I bought a Wii (but I ended loving the Wii for it's other great games too).

Ironically though I ended up enjoying Bloodstone more. I'm sure I'm in the minority there. But still 2 Bond games released on the same day. That certainly helped bridge the long 4 year gap between QOS and Skyfall and gave me my James Bond fix for 2010.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I thought the story mode was terrible. I prefer Brosnan to Craig but that's not why I was angry about Craig being in the game. I don't think they should put the current Bond in old Bond films. If they'd put Brosnan in the FRWL game for example, I would've been equally pissed off. It's one of the (many) reasons I don't like Legends.

It butchered the film (if you prefer Craig fair enough but do you really think that Trevelayn, Onnatop, Ourumov or Natalya were improved with this or that half the changes were needed at all? Why did Zukofsky die? Why didn't Bond do the bungee jump? etc), and playing the game was just like Call Of Duty with worse set pieces. Nothing more than a cash in on the Goldeneye name imo.

But since this is an appreciation thread I will say that I enjoyed the split screen multiplayer and I enjoyed the shooting more than any other Bond game I've played (because on Wii you actually get to aim and shoot which is great, especially if you have the zapper).
    Ironically though I ended up enjoying Bloodstone more. I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

I'd say you're in the majority, at least on this site. I liked Blood Stone too. Story wasn't great but they managed to actually make me feel like I was playing as Craig's Bond, something no other Bond game has done. Loved the take downs, loved the driving and the graphics were good too.

Plus I prefer the Bond games with original stories (even though I didn't think Bloodstone had a great one). That way it's like having a whole new adventure to bridge the gap between films rather than me just controlling something I've already seen.
    Since my 360 konked out I haven't played bloodstone but I have vived memories of how good bloodstone is (replaying the EA games and Goldeneye for the wii and Quantum of Solace for the ps2 to kind of get my bond fix)

I plan on making an appreciation game for Bloodstone. Goldeneye was why I got a wii. And the games help between the gaps like I said in 2010 havering two bond games was well awesome and the fact eon is just sitting on the Craig era video games is annoying
    Unlike a lot of people, I didn't care that they butchered the film. I thought it was cool to hear Craig say some famous lines and stuff like that. I'm also not as attached to the original n64 game as others (I was too young when it came out. My first Bond game was Agent Under Fire). I like the game alright, my friends and I had a lot of fun in the multiplayer from time to time.

I really liked Quantum of Solace when it first came out. Ironically it feels less like a COD clone than Goldeneye and 007 Legends even though it uses the COD engine. Out of the Activision games, only 007 Legends can be classified as a trainwreck.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I liked the gameplay in QOS (the mix of third person and first person), and I liked how they fitted both films into one game (although I'm not sure why they didn't just begin with CR instead of having a flashback halfway through), but again the issue I have with it is that it butchers the movie by chucking in tons of action sequences.

Also, lots of the action scenes from the films that would have been fun to play weren't even in the game (instead of a gun fight at Le Chiffre's barge or a shootout in the sink hole, why can't we play through the car chase, the boat chase or the plane chase?).
    I liked the gameplay in QOS (the mix of third person and first person), and I liked how they fitted both films into one game (although I'm not sure why they didn't just begin with CR instead of having a flashback halfway through), but again the issue I have with it is that it butchers the movie by chucking in tons of action sequences.

Also, lots of the action scenes from the films that would have been fun to play weren't even in the game (instead of a gun fight at Le Chiffre's barge or a shootout in the sink hole, why can't we play through the car chase, the boat chase or the plane chase?).

It just shows the total pigs ear Activision made of the Bond licence from the very start. I'd rather have EA return. At least Nightfire and EoN were great games.
    I enjoyed the remakes just as much as I did the original on N64. And the online Multiplayer, minus s few issues, was great.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It was fun for what it's worth. It's a shame the levels weren't fully explorable. Surface had a lot of cool areas you couldn't travel too. Though I hate that it had the meter to tell you which direction to go.
    I must admit I have been replaying Goldeneye 360 ( to get achievements that I missed previously) and I love it again you either love the idea of Older films being Redone in a Craig style or you hate it. I love it and since I am on a 007 kick (I bought murdered soul suspect and haven't even touched it and I haven't bought Lego batman 3 yet) with all the Spectre stuff activisions wasn't that bad.

Of course now my PS2 was damaged in the move so I can't really replay the EA games to give it context but I am enjoying Activision
    Ive actually been missing some Reloaded lately. Since getting my XB1 over a year ago I havent been able to play Reloaded at all. Hope something Bond comes up soon for consoles.
  • RC7RC7
    My Bond fix entails getting mates over for GE:64 multiplayer. Nothing beats it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I recently played GoldenEye on the Wii for some reason I have yet to figure out. I still enjoy it from time to time. I just wish online on Reloaded had been more active.
  • I recently played GoldenEye on the Wii for some reason I have yet to figure out. I still enjoy it from time to time. I just wish online on Reloaded had been more active.

Your always welcome to come back and play some reloaded agent, there's a few of us still around, there seems to be a few good lobbies in the evenings each day. I don't know about during the day since I'm at work, but the game isn't dead yet.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Goldeneye Reloaded could have been great if they just put Craig in the exact same game as Goldeneye N64 (including multiplayer) except with updated graphics. Changing the Liens Cossack plotline to the financial crisis, or whatever his problem with the banks was, was pretty cringeworthy. IMO, they made literally every character worse with the "modernization" applied to them. I don't even mind that the mechanics are just the same as COD; COD exists because of Goldeneye's popularization of the first person shooter on consoles, and I have no problem saying that the student outgrew the master here. From a technical standpoint, COD has pretty much nailed the FPS formula.
    I suppose legally they couldn't just remake Goldeney N64? But doesn't Microsoft own Rare now? Oh well.
  • justicefilmsjusticefilms San Monique
    I felt the game improved from a story aspect, but in terms of fun and entertainment value, I don't get the same vibes from this game. This game was obviously going for a different style then the original N64 release, and in some areas it paid off. I enjoyed this game for the most part.
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    So is it better than "legendary" Legends? I'm really considering to buy it for PS3.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Uh, is it true that online multiplayer in GoldenEye 007 for Wii is still active?
    Does GoldenEye 007 for Wii still have active online servers?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Uh, is it true that online multiplayer in GoldenEye 007 for Wii is still active?
    Played online multiplayer yesterday. There are still many people on there, especially in team conflict mode. Still going very strong.
    Played online multiplayer yesterday. There are still many people on there, especially in team conflict mode. Still going very strong.

Great! Thank you!

I will be buying this (finally) for Wii soon!
    edited October 2015 Posts: 306
    Is the Nintendo DS version still active?
  • In honor of SPECTRE, my brother and I dusted it off the other day. He always plays as Oddjob just to annoy me. Sometimes he uses a rocket launcher for maximum irritation. It doesn't help that I'm terrible.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    (...)It doesn't help that I'm terrible.

A Classic Controller Pro might help (assuming you're on the Wii). Way better then the motion controls.