Why did Craig succeed when Dalton failed?

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    Incidently, Around The World in 80 Days also had Christopher Lee and Patrick MacNee in it. Taffin also had Alison Doody (Jenny Flex) as Broza's love interest, Brozza's wife and Remington Steele co-star was in FYEO and last but not least one of his first films was The Mirror Crak'd - directed by Guy Hamilton.

Bond seemed to follow Brosnan around.

More like the other way around. Brosnan was working very hard to keep himself in the public's eyes I think, and as the legitimate Bond, so to speak. His whole pre-Bond career was aimed at Bond and built on Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. Even I saw Dalton as a usurper at the time and wanted Brosnan. Now I am ashamed for that.

So did I. I didn't even knew Dalton was Bond I already wanted him out! And what happened when Brosnan left was very different: no heir apparent (they were of course two dozen actors mentioned, but no one that made consensus in the general public), Brosnan's star itself had faded, as well as his aura as Bond, his legacy was already being criticized and even challenged, even by early days fans (like myself), etc. People became ready for a new approach because they have had enough of the old one, Brosnan had literally exhausted it.

100% with you on this.
    I'm shocked at the lack of love the Daltonator was getting, even from Bond fans, back in the day.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Um...the answer to this is rather simple.

Daniel Craig is a much better actor.
    TripAces wrote: »

Although I do prefer Daniel Craig as an actor, I would not go that far. He is, however, far more comfortable with everything Bond: with the icon, the media attention, the baggage the character brings. Again, this is partially due to circumstances: Brosnan was the heir apparent in 1987, which must have brought incredible pressures to Dalton. Brosnan had no heir in 2005 when Craig was cast and, while he had his fans who wanted him to carry on, he was no longer making unanimity.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883

Dalton is actually a very good actor. I just think it's down to timing. No one was looking for the kind of changes they brought in 1989 with LTK and it was too much for a lot of people. Like him or not, Roger Moore had also cast a long shadow and anyone who tried to mess with his long standing interpretation was bound to hit resistance from the general public.

Dalton is actually a very good actor. I just think it's down to timing. No one was looking for the kind of changes they brought in 1989 with LTK and it was too much for a lot of people. Like him or not, Roger Moore had also cast a long shadow and anyone who tried to mess with his long standing interpretation was bound to hit resistance from the general public.

I didn't say he wasn't.

Craig's just that much better.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,554

I didn't say he wasn't.

Craig's just that much better. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Craig's material has been better, too. Before I get in hot water, I'd better be clear: I love all of the Bonds, each for different reasons. But I put Craig and Connery on top. If I had to make one Bond film and could choose any of the actors at any time in their careers, I'd choose Connery from the mid-60s, or Craig today.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    They wanted the jokes. They wanted bond to score a lot of ass. He banged four women in a view to a kill. Tim dalton? He didn't get to do that
    I imagine Dalton failed because he wasn't Moore. For a whole generation, Bond was RM.
    TD projected an entirely different set of qualities closer to SC, which is why I suspect so many SC loyalists didn't object much to TD.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I know I missed the earlier conversation about Bond and Lupe but of course they slept together. Come on, this is Bond we're talking about here. He doesn't just "make out" with a woman in his bed. By the way, I'm quite surprised that they didn't use that point later on in the film to create even more tension between Bond and Sanchez. It would have been a nice touch.

I don't think Dalton failed so much as LTK failed him. They needed to go all the way dark with the film for it to succeed in my opinion. They got cold feet and tried to add some classic Bondian elements and some humor and it just falls flat. Add in the fact that the ending is so happy and there are no consequences for Bond and you have a film devoid of any meaning.

I agree that it was too soon to go down that route with Dalton. The jury was still out on him as far as the public was concerned and then they gave us something so different. It was an important failure though as it set up things to come. I will give them credit for having the guts to shake things up a bit but the execution was a little lacking.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    You're absolutely right @pachazo.

The problem with LTK for me was they were straddling the two universes. They should have just gone all in (no matter how dark it would have been). The classic Bondian elements were a little out of place in it, and the Bouvier whining was annoying.....in both Dalton films they tried to keep him less promiscous but there was a schmaltzy element to it for me that seemed a little out of place.

I also agree that these were necessary lessons, as was TWINE imo.

When we got round to CR, EON knew exactly how to make a serious Bond film without the classic elements and also how to make their Bond still retain his masculinity in the face of love. They wouldn't have been able to succeed so well with CR if not for the learning process that came before.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LTK's end is jovial and does not fit the end of the film, but then again, how many Bond films went all the way and had a completely dark ending? DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, FYEO, OP, AVTAK, TLD, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD he gets the girl and all is well. CR he does not get the girl, but we get a badass end + the Bond theme, in QOS he does not get the girl, but the ending points to Bond being finally 'Bond' + gunbarrel, in SF M dies but the last scene is the return of proper Bond, Moneypenny, M office briefing scene + another gunbarrel at the end, and of course OHMSS is the closest we've been to a darker ending but EON still couldn't resist putting a joyful Bond theme on the end credits.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,314
    @DaltonCraig007, I would have loved to see them use Fleming's original ending for FRWL but I understand why they didn't at the time. Hell, they would have postponed Tracy's death until the PTS of DAF had Lazenby not quit. In all of the others you mentoned I'm not sure a dark ending was necessary except perhaps TWINE. Let's face it, the majority of audiences don't want a sad/downbeat ending. I just felt that out of all of the Bond films LTK could have used it the most.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @pachazo I agree on LTK, it would have been even better with a downbeat ending.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    There's no reason for Bond not to get the girl at the end of LTK.

Also I disagree with the premise of the thread. TLD did perfectly well at the box office and is generally regarded as pretty good. LTK fared less well in the US but performed fine everywhere else. So Daltons second film was not a huge success? So what. Remind you of anyone else? TMWTGG hardly set the box office alight but EON and Rog came back with Spy and rest is history.
    @Getafix IMO I would have ended the film with Bond fully bruised up and worn out in the desert after killing Sanchez.
    @Getafix IMO I would have ended the film with Bond fully bruised up and worn out in the desert after killing Sanchez.

With Pam?

I don't think a downbeat ending would have worked imo. If anything it would have hurt Dalton a little more. Bond had to triumph after his ordeal and be rewarded for his good deeds. I know people prefer Pam to Lupe, but for poetic justice it is Lupe who should have ended up with Bond.
    I don't think a downbeat ending would have worked imo. If anything it would have hurt Dalton a little more. Bond had to triumph after his ordeal and be rewarded for his good deeds. I know people prefer Pam to Lupe, but for poetic justice it is Lupe who should have ended up with Bond.

I agree that the upbeat ending is fine. But I think Bond should have ended up in the sack wit pam and lupe! That would have cemented Daltons legendary status!
    I think they could have at the very least acknowleged Felix's loss. Maybe we could see him quickly glancing over at a picture of him and Della by his hospital bed.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think they could have at the very least acknowleged Felix's loss. Maybe we could see him quickly glancing over at a picture of him and Della by his hospital bed.

Yeah, they could have wrapped that bit up a bit better.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Cultural Populism.

As a rule, the movie-going masses are not the brightest bunch. They will swallow just about anything the movie industry churns out - as long as it is in keeping with the general zeitgeist. Dalton's gritty 'blunt instrument' take on the character went against the grain of what the average cinema-goer had been fed throughout the 1980’s.

All that changed in the 00’s. Brooding, dark, ‘realistic’ heroes were completely in-vogue once Craig’s 007 came along – and not only due to the Bourne series. EoN obviously paid attention to the snowballing super hero movie-market after Brian Singer’s X-Men series struck box office gold, and once Nolan’s gutsy ‘noir-ish’ approach to Batman Begins (which was not considered to be a sure thing before it was released back in 2005, not by a long way) proved successful it was a complete no brainer, really.

Dalton would have been a HUGE hit if he had become Bond any time after 2005 rather than when he did in ’86 …
    interesting. might help explain the delayed success of a film like blade runner as well - audiences in the 80s just not ready
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Getafix wrote: »
    interesting. might help explain the delayed success of a film like blade runner as well - audiences in the 80s just not ready

Chr*st yes! Blade Runner is such a magnificently bleak, dystopian downer of a film – that type of sci-fi noir just didn’t stand a chance in ’82.

To put it into perspective - this was a movie going public that had been narcotized on a steady celluloid-diet of Star Wars, Close Encounters’, Rocky, Superman, Moonraker and Raiders of the lost Ark. There was no way they were going to opt to have to turn on their brains & immerse themselves in Blade Runner when they could get all cozy doped up on E.T and Tootsie !!
    True, they expected a Indiana Jones?Han Solo combo. How long did it take to Blade Runner to be praised?

I wonder if by LTK the perception of Dalton as Bond was already sealed. When he said it might be the last Bond movie, you could feel his frustration.
    Good deeds? Without his licence to kill, Bond is just going around murdering people. Granted, Sanchez and his associates are ruthless criminals and the world was probably better off without them but this was a very dark chapter in Bond's history. If there were no consequences to his actions then he really didn't sacrifice as much as we were led to believe. The whole resignation scene is reduced to M just being grumpy and Bond throwing a tantrum because he didn't get his way.
    sorry if this has been mentioned before but its interesting to imagine Dalton (at his peak) playing Bond in SF. With a bit of weight work,he could have filled the role very well and,more importantly,its the version of Bond he actually wanted play. Dalton was way ahead of his time
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,279
    I think everything has already been said on the matter why Dalton and LTK failed - subtle Bond marketing, up against 1989's big blockbusters, fans still wanting Moore-type Bond with plenty of humour.......and why CR was accepted - new post 9-11 direction, Bourne influence, etc.

I love LTK as much as I do CR. To me they are cut from the same cloth, both have the most violent scenes in the franchise, and both feel like Fleming.

Dalton's take feels more like the Fleming literary character, and Dan's take feels more of a cinematic interpretation in the mould of Connery, which is why ultimately I think he has been accepted more than Dalton.
    patb wrote: »
    sorry if this has been mentioned before but its interesting to imagine Dalton (at his peak) playing Bond in SF. With a bit of weight work,he could have filled the role very well and,more importantly,its the version of Bond he actually wanted play. Dalton was way ahead of his time

He could still play Bond now! ;)

Half of me wanted McClory to makes Warhead 2000, especially when there were rumours he wanted Dalton. Not that Tim would have done it.
This discussion has been closed.