Why did Craig succeed when Dalton failed?

1141516171820»

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I always thought Dalton had a great advantage, coming into the role when everyone including the man himself, was fed up with an aging Roger Moore holding onto the role. A chimp could've taken the role and we would have been happy.

Craig came in on the back of a very popular Bond (regardless of what hard core fans think) and had to overcome that, as well as the negativity towards him as a blonde Bond.

So in some ways Tim had more advantage.

Either way, both are part of a rich and diverse franchise, playing a role which over 50 odd years has generated only 6 actors in the lead. Quite remarkable really.
    No doubt Craig faced far more hostility than Dalton imo. But nothing he could not overcome. And Brosnan was no longer a ghost casting a large shadow.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It's difficult to fight a ghost, aura or idea. It's intangible.....an expectation......a promise.

That was what Tim had to live with during his short tenure......along with poor budgets and promotion (it is widely reported and acknowledged that MGM did not like him nor Cubby's support of him, and did not adequately promote LTK in the important US market, which is ironic, since a lot of the movie was filmed there with American actors).

One wonders if they were deliberately trying to sabotage the production in order to get Brosnan in after LTK (Remington Steele was well and truly done by 1989). No one talked about this (because it would have been very embarrassing for all concerned) but I wonder.........

Finally, very few actors can survive a 6 year break, especially when they're in their 40's to start with (even Moore may not have been able to survive it if there was a 6 yr gap between TMWTGG & TSWLM).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I know I would rather have followed Pierce Brosnan than Roger Moore as the next Bond. How can you even start to compare?
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,622
    NicNac wrote: »
    The thread is probably running out of steam now, so maybe we should ask everyone to add their final thoughts in the grand Craig and Dalton debate before quietly retiring the thread for good. ;)
    Final thoughts. Actually only thoughts.
    They've all been lacking in some way shape, post DAF.
    I shall patiently continue vigil awaiting the second worthy successor to Sean.
    44 years and. counting,.........
    Sean Laz and 4x meh.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    And with @timmer's thoughts echoing through the corridors of The Bond Community building, we bid au revoir to an entertaining and thought provoking thread which, if truth be told, has had about every relevant opinion on offer and has probably now run its course.

What we need now is something different yet similar to ruffle the feathers and clear the cob webs.

Thread retired.
This discussion has been closed.