The films of Timothy Dalton (non-Bond)

2»

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have seen Wuthering Heights and Agatha which haven't yet been mentioned on this page.
    I remember Hawks being quite good, and Dalton handling the comedy element well.
    Permission to Kill isn't horrible but it certainly isn't great either. Tim's fine in it though.
    Just started watching Flash Gordon again on Film 4 =))

Deary me Mr Dalton.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just started watching Flash Gordon again on Film 4 =))

Deary me Mr Dalton.

"Freeze you bloody bastards". Classic dialogue.

Plus he does kill Peter Duncan, so it's not all bad. ;-)
  • Dalton may be a favorite Bond but I haven't seen much of his work outside of the franchise. Titles such as The Rocketeer, Hot Fuzz, Wuthering Heights and Flash Gordon have been viewed, but simply don't have the same affection for Dalton in other work outside of the James Bond series. A man of great integrity and a stellar actor doubtless, but can only often recognize that Dalton was perhaps the best Bond ever, in that, the closest to what Fleming truly intended
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited January 2014 Posts: 578
    Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't he the voice of Mr. Pricklepants in Toy Story 3?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Yes, he was.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    He's just said "lying bitch", shame he didn't say anything like that in the Bond films.

I want to throw things at the TV everytime Sam Jones is onscreen.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    He's just said "lying bitch", shame he didn't say anything like that in the Bond films.

His cameo in Ted was sublime though.
    BAIN123 wrote:

His cameo in Ted was sublime though.

Yes it was. Although I'm too young to remember Flash Gordon when it first came out (wasn't born until 1985).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,882
    Hawks would be my pick for his Best film. Hot Fuzz he looked to be having a lot of fun in. And in The Informant, he plays a real mean bastard.

There's also Florence Nightingale, with the ever welcome Kelly Garret (Jaclyn Smith) as The Lady Of The Lamp, our man Tim and Sherlock Holmes himself (Jeremy Brett).
    I've only seen Hawks once. Must have been over twenty years ago. Was very good from what I remember. (I'm also a fan of Anthony Edwards so that was a big plus too).
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    edited January 2014 Posts: 523
    I haven't seen much of his films but I enjoyed his perfs in Hot Fuzz and The Tourist.
    I'm really desperate to see 'Framed'. I remember back around 2005 time it was reguarly repeated on ITV3 or something but I can't find any sign of it at all online. Does anyone know where I can download a copy from?

Tim looks great in it.

1981025,NBkkRTQySiErF+ZjcFnEt1HZOttNH6C8r+KG_z0CA9zLUiAqkAXxkJMsmuoJYNQHtGeAMcKK97fbpLbH+rGI6g==.jpg
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,400
    I got around to watching 'The Rocketeer' recently and can say I really enjoyed the movie.

There isn't much original to be seen in the film but there's still a lot of fun to be had watching this well-executed film take shape. I love the old-school 1930's Hollywood setting with the film very much being a throwback to golden era of Hollywood (the movie is suitably equipped with a square-jawed hero, evil Nazi's, damels in distress, the FBI and the mob). I'm surprised that the film didn't make much of a dent when it was released in '91 as the story is a fun intoxicating mix of both the 'Back to the Future' franchise and the 'Indiana Jones' films. Maybe it's down to the fact that 'The Rocketeer' leans too heavily on it's influences and for those reasons fails to carve it's own path. This seems to be reflected in the reviews that were released when the film first came out as there seems to be a split amongst critics; some enjoying the old-school familiarity of the story, while others condemned the mechanical rote feeling of the film. The film has since of course (rightfully) earned cult status.

601px-TEp38.jpg

I for one found the whole thing very entertaining even if it is a little lightweight. The effects hold up today and the set and costume designs are really impressive. The performances are a little forgettable, however Jennifer Connelly is absolutely stunning and I found myself cooing every time she was on the screen. The general consensus amongst the critics back in '91 was that Tim Dalton undeniably stole the show and I couldn't agree more with this point. Tim is clearly having the most fun and it rubs off on the audience as his slimy and seedy (albeit rather charming) portrayal of Neville Sinclair is perfectly pitched. Dalton plays the high-definition villain with aplomb and in many ways reprised a similar role in 'Hot Fuzz'. Dalton brings a certain degree of intensity to proceedings and his scenes in the film are often the most charged and often elevate the movie ever so slightly from the lightweight fodder it is. Dalton particularly shines in his scenes opposite Paul Sorvino, who along with Jon Polita give nifty supporting turns (Alan Alda on the other hand is a near nonentity).

I really liked the film even if it is a little derivative. There is something of wide-eyed credulity to the movie and it's easy to find something smitten by the naivety of the piece; in the end the film is really good-hearted fun that's difficult not to enjoy.
  • JuraquagmireJuraquagmire Canada
    edited June 2014 Posts: 41
    I only seem him in movies:
    Hot fuzz, The Tourist, The Rocketeer, Flash Gordon, Looney Tunes
    and in TV:
    Chuck and Doctor Who

FG, TR, and HF're his finest in my option. I love him in Chuck as well.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,800
    Dalton is the best thing in The Rocketeer and raise the movie above its overall worth. I find it enjoyable too, a nice little nostalgic trip, above average, but a few notches down of greatness.