Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    "You gave fake name to Priest!"
    @Birdleson I like the ranking so far. Good thoughts too. I had such a hard time with DAD in my Bondathon; it took my bottom spot with extreme ease this time around. I guess it’s sort of to me what SP is to you (which is still in the bottom section of my list as well).
    TND has managed to grow on me; the third act is bad, but most of the stuff leading up is pretty entertaining. TWINE is flawed, but has some good stuff still. DAD is just painful for me most of the way.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    FoxRox wrote: »
    TND has managed to grow on me; the third act is bad, but most of the stuff leading up is pretty entertaining. TWINE is flawed, but has some good stuff still. DAD is just painful for me most of the way.

All correct.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Continuing my 2018 Bondathon with The Living Daylights.
    Even though it was Roger Moore who introduced me to Bond, and his Bond was (and still is) my firm favourite, when TLD came along in 1987 it was an easy transition for me. Of course as a 12/13 year old it wasn't that much of a chore. The film seemed fresh and exciting. Timothy Dalton was a much harder and intense Bond than Moore had been. For me it was a winner from start to finish. And to be perfectly fair, it still is for me.
    It's never a hardship to sit down and enjoy Daltons debut. Yes it's dated, but then what film hasn't. Dalton still commands the screen, a very impressive debut. I find TLD to be very Fleming inspired in many of the scenes. I enjoy the PTS, but the scene immediately after the title song set in Bratislava is pure Fleming for me. The relationship between Bond and Saunders, getting Koskov out. It's brilliant stuff.
    So too are all of the scenes between Bond and Saunders and how their relationship transpires. Makes Saunders death all the more sombre.
    Another notable scene and from what I gather a fan favourite is Bond's interrogation of new KGB head, General Pushkin, in the latter's hotel room. Dalton and John Rhys-Davies
    are very good in this scene, and it's a credit to their ability as actors.
    Necros taking the Blayden Safe House dressed as a milkman is another scene I enjoy.
    Whilst the film is a little weak on the villainous front, it's far from disastrous. I think the producers were aiming to make the film more down to earth, with a more dangerous and darker Bond, so too the villains had to be more low key and not Blofeldeque ,living in a volcano or under the sea.
    The Bond girl in Kara Milovy is one I have to confess to liking (Sorry @barryt007)
    I find Ms d'Abo to be charming and attractive. Her role in the film is imo much better than the 'she's Bonds equal/ another agent' that has been played out all too often.
    I guess it's an each to their own on that one.
    The action is the usual John Glen fair. Done for real, fitting the story well and exciting.
    The PTS, Bond and Kara's escape to Austria and the finale set in Russian occupied Afghanistan are all breath taking. I've said countless times the cargo net fight between Bond and Necros IS the greatest stunts of all time. So I wont go into that one again...well.
    A fantastic John Barry score, and sadly his last help secure The Living Daylights a high ranking spot on my Bond ranking. It always has, and probably always will.
    Maybe it's that trip back to ones youth that maintains it's high rank.
    Or maybe it's just a damn good Bond film.

2018 ranking

1. Dr.No
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. Live And Let Die

Next up...
    GoldenEye

Good review. TLD never fails to entertain, mainly for Dalton. The excellent scene with Bond interrogating Pushkin was, apparently in the original script, when they werent sure Roger was returning, just the two of them sitting ina restaurant! They rejigged it knowing Dalton was doing a harder take on Bond, and all the better for it!

Agreed TLD is a welcome return to Fleming.
    YOLT had a pretty good watch this latest time, edging out TLD on my list. Just four more to go, and they’re all among the best!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    YOLT had a pretty good watch this latest time, edging out TLD on my list. Just four more to go, and they’re all among the best!

Well said !

YOLT > TLD
    Enjoying the heck out of TB right now. I will probably need another short break before I finish off my marathon with the first 3. Sometime next week it should be completed.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,151
    Watched Octopussy a few nights ago. I really can’t help but have fun with this movie, despite the bouts of silliness it has (Siiiiit, and the Tarzan yell). Moore is on fine form and truly looks like he is having a ball.

We have a great pts and I love the “Fill her up please.” line. Telling that the light aircraft was of the female form, this is James Bond after all, haha.

We have a decent villain in Kamal Khan from Louis Jourdan, an Oddjob style henchman in Gobinda (what’s more impressive - the golf ball or dice crush?). Maud Adams returns as Octopussy, bringing along the greatest cheekbones in Bond movie history. Then, along with a great host of minor characters we have a really fun Bond adventure. For me, Sir Roger’s second best 007 movie.

Now, controversial ranking coming up, always ranking based on enjoyment at time of watching, therefore:

New ranking:

Octopussy
    Goldfinger
    Spectre

Next up: Diamonds Are Forever
    Watched Octopussy a few nights ago. I really can’t help but have fun with this movie, despite the bouts of silliness it has (Siiiiit, and the Tarzan yell). Moore is on fine form and truly looks like he is having a ball.

We have a great pts and I love the “Fill her up please.” line. Telling that the light aircraft was of the female form, this is James Bond after all, haha.

We have a decent villain in Kamal Khan from Louis Jourdan, an Oddjob style henchman in Gobinda (what’s more impressive - the golf ball or dice crush?). Maud Adams returns as Octopussy, bringing along the greatest cheekbones in Bond movie history. Then, along with a great host of minor characters we have a really fun Bond adventure. For me, Sir Roger’s second best 007 movie.

Now, controversial ranking coming up, always ranking based on enjoyment at time of watching, therefore:

New ranking:

Octopussy
    Goldfinger
    Spectre

Next up: Diamonds Are Forever

Exactly where I would put it ,above those 2 films.
    Bravo Shark !
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    OP is great fun. Dump some of the nonsense in India (street festival fight, boob zoom, jungle yell) and it would be a firm top 10 for me.
    bondjames wrote: »
    OP is great fun. Dump some of the nonsense in India (street festival fight, boob zoom, jungle yell) and it would be a firm top 10 for me.

I still love that,during the tuk-tuk chase,the man on a bicycle goes flying between the 2 tuk-tuks.
    Even more so because he wasn't part of the stunt, and was a normal citizen who cycled into the area by accident !! hahaha.

barryt007 wrote: »

I still love that,during the tuk-tuk chase,the man on a bicycle goes flying between the 2 tuk-tuks.
    Even more so because he wasn't part of the stunt, and was a normal citizen who cycled into the area by accident !! hahaha.
    I didn't realize that. I agree, the actual chase and "rupiah!" was great (although why Bond yells out the currency of Indonesia as opposed to India is a mystery to me). It's more the silly street festival fight that I find crosses the line into farce ("Get off my bed!").
    barryt007 wrote: »

I didn't realize that. I agree, the actual chase and "rupiah!" was great (although why Bond yells out the currency of Indonesia as opposed to India is a mystery to me). It's more the silly street festival fight that I find crosses the line into farce ("Get off my bed!").

Its the plainly obvious rubber nails on the bed,when Bond throws a goon on it,that gets me everytime.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Oh wow, what a wonderful way to review the films @Birdleson and what a great post.

Since days I'm struggling to decide how to get into the Bond films again. I watched GoldenEye but then I was stuck.
    Your method is to watch the first of each decade, then the second, third etc?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,273
    @Birdleson I have your two favorites next up (GF and FRWL). Sadly, almost finished with my Bondathon.
    It is a super strong finish. I’ve done many Bondathons now, and this backwards one has been my favorite yet. Ending with the series’ golden age definitely helps. Next time I will have to do it in some random order; I don’t think I can wait for my traditional one before Bond 25.
    Excellent & detailed review @Birdleson, and that's a neat way to view the films by decade.

I personally have never considered OP to be a particularly good looking film though, and also not an especially colourful one. Perhaps that's because some of the cinematography isn't to my liking and is clouding my overall perception. I'll definitely look out for this when I view it again.

I'm with you on the OP post-titles sequence as well. Really well done and Barry's score elevates it. However, despite my appreciation for the sequence I wouldn't want to lose OP's PTS (yes, I'm a huge fan, along with Rog's wink to the guards to direct them toward's Bianca's shapely stems).

Good point about the similarity between the FRWL & TMWTGG PTS (Bond being there, but not being there). I noticed that too and have a feeling it was deliberate, as these are both sophomore outings with a bit of a personal twist (Bond is called in specifically in both cases).
    Again an excellent review. It's a film I've grown to enjoy very much and these days it somehow seems more part of the EON family than ever before (due to all the changes and the loss of the old regulars). McCowen & Casey (both sadly gone) are really good too, agreed.

The film has a somewhat dated 80's flavour (more so than the EON entries imho) but that doesn't take away from it. I'm probably one of the few who enjoys the video game shootout.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    . I'm probably one of the few who enjoys the video game shootout.

I can't say we agree on that one. That is the weak point for me.
    I can understand that. It's extremely dated but the tension is palpable (Bond looks to be in some trouble). I'm not a fan of the dance routine which follows though.
    Oh yes, I forgot there were more. The one on the boat with the leggings is so 80's.
  • Having one right now. The most I have ever enjoyed YOLT and the least I have ever enjoyed OHMSS. Not sure why.
    I'm probably one of the few who enjoys the video game shootout.
    Dated, but a clever modernization of a classic trope. I also enjoy the visual contrast between the video game and the room, with its antique look and furniture.

I enjoy the dance scene as well. Bond telling Domino what happened to his brother in the midst of a dance in front of everyone. Distinctive moment. I also like the first shot of the scene.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Some good points there. Looking forward to your next write-up, @Birdleson .
    I think Bernard Lee at his worst was a better M than anyone else at their best.
    I can agree about Brown. He was a very good replacement.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,151
    Diamonds Are Forever was the latest movie in my Bondathon last night. I have to say I had a lot of fun watching it. I really did. It’s the most fun I’ve had watching this movie in a good while. I know it’s not a perfect movie but it is a fun ride from start to finish. Camp, funny, half decent finale. Good stuff.

Could of niggles, the car in the alley thing and the car chase in Vegas - it’s a shame that the crowds on the street were all stood there watching, more like they are putting on a show for them as opposed to making a movie.

Anyway...

New ranking:

Octopussy
    Goldfinger
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Spectre

Next up, I go from DAF to DAD.
    Nice reviews. From that group of films, TB has the best score imo.
    Nice reviews. From that group of films, TB has the best score imo.

TB is a wonderfully subtle score, but I’d pick AVTAK. Cracking action theme and fine romantic music. Great variety.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    Great write ups, @Birdleson. Looking forward to SP. I know how you love it so.
    The music of John Barry; I love what he did in TB, but his work in AVTAK is superior by a fairly wide margin; his last great Bond score (I find THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (1987) to be his weakest).
    I agree that AVTAK was the last great one. "Wine With Stacey" is probably my favorite track of Barry's work post-MR.
    Yet Bond always feels like Bond, doesn't he? Is that our own illusion cast upon the various incarnations of the character, or is it that EON has always gotten it right?
    Maybe both? New fans coming to the series learn what Bond is supposed to feel like from the entirety of the 24 films, and stitch that into some sort of an understanding. And then, as established fans, somehow look at what they're given and see in it what they've learned Bond is, maybe even reimagining past films in order to do so. (Am I right in thinking that QOS is the only time serious objection was raised, on release, as to whether the film fundamentally felt like Bond? Perhaps MR as well? Even though now I think most accept those as Bond. Each new film can modify our conception of the past films.)
    It's not even worth holding Tanya Roberts as Stacey Sutton up to Claudine Auger as Domino. One of the most annoying Bond Girls vs. one of my Favorites. Though it is worth noting where we stand in the evolution of the Bond Girl, but I think I'll wait for the end of my comparisons of this group of films and take an overall look at the changes and trends in that aspect.
    I'm no great lover of AVTAK, but I've never found Stacey annoying. She might be my favorite of the main 80s girls actually. Really looking forward to your thoughts re: the evolution of the Bond girl.