Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

OHMSS - FYEO, sounds nice
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, once you feel like getting back into another Bondathon, let me know, because I've been more than interested in this black and white idea you brought up a while back with turning down the color on all the movies. Brilliant idea, been aching to try it since I gave it a shot with the last couple of minutes of YOLT.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Another idea would be turn down the volume and make it silent movies, or better black & white silent movies.
    Another idea would be turn down the volume and make it silent movies, or better black & white silent movies.

Idk about that, John Barrys music really elevates these movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You definitely don't want to mute the beauty of Barry's work, though imagine them doing what Miller envisioned for that version we'll inevitably see for 'Mad Max: Fury Road': black and white, and the only thing you hear is the score.

Idk about that, John Barrys music really elevates these movies.

you misunderstood, only the dialogue of course!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Birdleson you could try MR and AVTAK as a double feature. Both have fantastic soundtracks/main theme songs.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 337
    OHMSS & FYEO back-to-back is quite good.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @Birdleson - how about TMWTGG and SF;

Macau
    Severine/Anders have similar roles/fates
    Silva has quite a bit in common with the literary Scaramanga - his style of dress, homoerotic tendencies.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Last night I watched Live & Let Die. Live and Let Die ushers in Roger Moore as the new James Bond. Moore is very different to Connery and Lazenby. He plays Bond as a more relaxed, charming, humorous character. Over the years, many people have said that the Moore incarnation of Bond lacks the brutality of Connery's and the hard masculinity, but actually Moore is not the kind of actor to do Bond in that manner. He's merely playing to his own strengths, and creating a Bond that is akin to his acting style. He also looks impeccable in his well tailored suits....classic 007.

I feel that Roger makes a perfectly likable 007, admittedly different to the character of the novels, but still a rousing screen hero. The plot is less 'comic/ camp' than the poor DAF and Roger Moore's debut is his best film.

Yaphet Kotto gives a strong performance as the infamous main villain, Dr. Kananga. Kananga has many colorful henchmen, like the grinning Tee Hee and the score is great too.

Updating Ian Fleming's most controversial novel, Live And Let Die, the producers, writer Tom Mankiewicz, and director Guy Hamilton choose to embrace the action packed comical Bond film as seen in the previous Bond film Diamonds Are Forever. Unlike that film, which turned out to be a very mixed bag, it works here. Although I feel that Fleming's finale in the book (underwater treck/ sharks and keel hauling) is actually better the films finale.

suavejmf wrote: »
    Last night I watched Live & Let Die. Live and Let Die ushers in Roger Moore as the new James Bond. Moore is very different to Connery and Lazenby. He plays Bond as a more relaxed, charming, humorous character. Over the years, many people have said that the Moore incarnation of Bond lacks the brutality of Connery's and the hard masculinity, but actually Moore is not the kind of actor to do Bond in that manner. He's merely playing to his own strengths, and creating a Bond that is akin to his acting style. He also looks impeccable in his well tailored suits....classic 007.

I feel that Roger makes a perfectly likable 007, admittedly different to the character of the novels, but still a rousing screen hero. The plot is less 'comic/ camp' than the poor DAF and Roger Moore's debut is his best film.

Yaphet Kotto gives a strong performance as the infamous main villain, Dr. Kananga. Kananga has many colorful henchmen, like the grinning Tee Hee and the score is great too.

Updating Ian Fleming's most controversial novel, Live And Let Die, the producers, writer Tom Mankiewicz, and director Guy Hamilton choose to embrace the action packed comical Bond film as seen in the previous Bond film Diamonds Are Forever. Unlike that film, which turned out to be a very mixed bag, it works here. Although I feel that Fleming's finale in the book (underwater treck/ sharks and keel hauling) is actually better the films finale.

Yes, I find LALD's climax underwhelming.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Where did all Kananga's guards go when Bond fights their boss too???? They were all there one minute, vanished the next!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I agree, LALD is the best Moore film. He does get a bit of an edge in that one. He has sex with a woman and then pulls a gun on her, then straight after he tricks another woman into sleeping with him. I actually think that early Moore is very Fleming, with his expensive tastes, his womanising and his devotion to the mission. Its only with TSWLM that he became outright comic. He's a lot more deadpan in LALD, although there are of course hints of what was to come.

I agree, LALD is the best Moore film. He does get a bit of an edge in that one. He has sex with a woman and then pulls a gun on her, then straight after he tricks another woman into sleeping with him. I actually think that early Moore is very Fleming, with his expensive tastes, his womanising and his devotion to the mission. Its only with TSWLM that he became outright comic. He's a lot more deadpan in LALD, although there are of course hints of what was to come.

I think Moore's performances in LALD, TMWTGG and FYEO were his most Flemingesque, AVTAK his least.
    I like watching DN and LALD together sometimes, that's a nice pairing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In fact Dr No and LALD have many similarities. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree about LALD/DN having similarities. I noticed that recently when I watched LALD. It's almost like EON were drawing inspiration from the earlier film when introducing Moore as the new Bond, hoping magic would strike twice.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,110
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree about LALD/DN having similarities. I noticed that recently when I watched LALD. It's almost like EON were drawing inspiration from the earlier film when introducing Moore as the new Bond, hoping magic would strike twice.

Yeah, you see Bonds apartment in both, Quarrel/Quarrel JR, an island that people are afraid to go to etc.

Yeah, you see Bonds apartment in both, Quarrel/Quarrel JR, an island that people are afraid to go to etc.
    Also: Bond arriving by plane at the airport. problem with drive from airport (although in LALD the driver is killed rather than being a baddie), finding bugs in hotel, being attacked by something in his hotel (snake vs. tarantula) etc. etc.

EDIT: baddie controlling by fear (dragon vs voodoo), baddie situated on an island etc. etc.

Also: Bond arriving by plane at the airport. problem with drive from airport (although in LALD the driver is killed rather than being a baddie), finding bugs in hotel, being attacked by something in his hotel (snake vs. tarantula) etc. etc.

Nice spots. Both also feature a woman that Bond befriends that turns out to be working for the enemy. Also, this is a bit subtler, the primary colour of LALD is red, just like Quarell bright red shirt that he wears. I know that's a bit tenuous, but I always seem to make that connection.

Also Bond is held at gunpoint by someone who turns out to be an alley. Wow, these similarities are really stacking up!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN and LALD were, at the time, the only 2 films without Desmond Llywelyn as Q and John Barry as the composer.
    In Both we see Bond's home. Both have Bond having his arrival at the airport
    interrupted, both end up on the villains island. In both Bond gets attacked in his
    hotel room by an animal. Both have villains or henchmen with metal hands or
    hand. In both Bond shags a bird he knows is working for the villain.
    Both were filmed in Jamaica; both feature Quarrel( or Jr)and Felix, who are seen in a small boat; both have Bond sent to find out what happened to missing agents; in both Bond is briefed in the early hours.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @birdleson
    possible "unusual" pairings:

-Longest title with shortest title DN-TMWTGG
    -With "Gold" in the title GF-GE-TMWTGG
    -With "Kill" in the title LTK-AVTAK
    -With "Die" in the title DAD-LALD
    -With a name in the title DN-GF-OP
    -The fantasy titles TB-MR-OP-GE-SF
    -The "strange" titles QOS-TLD-AVTAK
    -The spy related titles FYEO-LTK-OHMSS
    -Titles with a location FRWL-TWINE-CR-SF

-Films with exact 10 year gaps:
    DAD-SF
    FRWL-LALD-OP
    GF-TMWTGG
    AVTAK-GE
    YOLT-TSWLM-TLD-TND
    OHMSS-MR-LTK-TWINE

-Films with exact 20 year gaps:
    GE-SP
    FRWL-OP
    TB-AVTAK
    YOLT-TLD
    OHMSS-LTK
    The ones were you got to see a little more than expected in
    the titles sequence. ;)
    The ones were you got to see a little more than expected in
    the titles sequence. ;)

I can't wait for the first hard R Bond film. Imagine the TS then, flying Thunderpussys everywhere! ;)
    As a teenage Bond fan I really studied those title sequences. :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    interrupted, both end up on the villains island. In both Bond gets attacked in his
    Both were filmed in Jamaica; both feature Quarrel( or Jr)and Felix, who are seen in a small boat; both have Bond sent to find out what happened to missing agents; in both Bond is briefed in the early hours.

And the villains are doctors.

And the villains are doctors.

:-O woah! You just blew my mind, I hadn't made that connection.
    I guess both TeeHee and Dr No are missing a hand(s).
    Those are all amazing similarities.

I noticed that Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig all arrived in a location by plane during their debut films and were shown either exiting the plane or the airport. Given they are the actors with the longest runs to date, if EON is superstitious, they should ensure a similar scene greets the new actor in his first film when he takes over.

I've always thought those scenes are memorable, because Bond always looks suitably cool, and also because they are normally accompanied by a great score.